The mindshare is gone. They are no longer what people want or crave for. Referring to the 3g/4g market. Its going to take something really big to slow down Ios and android.

And I don't think QNX and Tat can grab back that marketshare. Apps are going to be expensive and developers will develop for the platform that is innovative to use, has the marketshare (big audience), and big profits.

I use to have pinball deluxe on my 8900 cost 4.99. On android it was free with better graphics and more boards. Not everyone needs FBI CIA security with the cost of a good mobile browser. Blackberries right now is a basic smartphone. With a little more functionality than a feature messaging phone. They are basically a basic entry level smartphone for a consumer who doesn't have 3g and a business communication device for a businessmen/women.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I think android will slow itself down. It's fragmented and buggy. The Vibrant in particular is a major POS in my experience. It's laggy and the GPS is useless on a good day. Not to mention the battery life. At any rate based on my android experience and how much I am excited by this road map, I would say BB is looking solid. That being said, I am fine with folks giving money to Samsung, HTC, Moto (for as long as they remain in business) and anyone else if they are android testers...er fans. Everyone should use what works for them right. Enjoy.
    Bobcat665 likes this.
    02-26-11 09:00 PM
    The mindshare is gone. They are no longer what people want or crave for. Referring to the 3g/4g market. Its going to take something really big to slow down Ios and android.

And I don't think QNX and Tat can grab back that marketshare. Apps are going to be expensive and developers will develop for the platform that is innovative to use, has the marketshare (big audience), and big profits.

I use to have pinball deluxe on my 8900 cost 4.99. On android it was free with better graphics and more boards. Not everyone needs FBI CIA security with the cost of a good mobile browser. Blackberries right now is a basic smartphone. With a little more functionality than a feature messaging phone. They are basically a basic entry level smartphone for a consumer who doesn't have 3g and a business communication device for a businessmen/women.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

I don't buy devices based on mindshare - I don't give one iota what the noise is out there. I buy a device that works for me and gets me what I need and want. Ultimately, that's all I care about.
    Don't discount the importance of FBI and CIA security. Your lifestyle and civil liberties are in great part dependent on the activities of both those agencies, even outside the borders of good ol' USA. And the businessmen/women working in those agencies depend on the security inherent in BES. They could not care less on the availability of pinball deluxe.
    02-27-11 07:01 AM
    Don't discount the importance of FBI and CIA security. Your lifestyle and civil liberties are in great part dependent on the activities of both those agencies, even outside the borders of good ol' USA. And the businessmen/women working in those agencies depend on the security inherent in BES. They could not care less on the availability of pinball deluxe.
    I think he was referring to high level cellphone security..not the actual security the CIA/FBI provide
    02-27-11 08:13 AM
    I think android will slow itself down. It's fragmented and buggy. The Vibrant in particular is a major POS in my experience. It's laggy and the GPS is useless on a good day.
    That's Samsung for ya. Your Gf's phone is still probably running 2.1 (which is probably equivalent to OS 4/5) and Samsung JUST started releasing 2.2 updates late Jan (and yes..2.2 is a BIG upgrade over 2.1)..when everyone else was getting them months ago. Oh well..as you said..to each their own.
    02-27-11 08:21 AM
    I don't buy devices based on mindshare - I don't give one iota what the noise is out there. I buy a device that works for me and gets me what I need and want. Ultimately, that's all I care about.
    I didn't discount the importance of FBI CIA security. I merely stated blackberries are a business work phone not a consumer phone and not everyone needs high level FBI CIA cell phone security.
    That's excellent it fits your needs I didn't intend to sound like blackberrys are completely irrelevant. I stated its for people that don't need 3g and for businessmen/women.
    02-27-11 08:38 AM
    That's Samsung for ya. Your Gf's phone is still probably running 2.1 (which is probably equivalent to OS 4/5) and Samsung JUST started releasing 2.2 updates late Jan (and yes..2.2 is a BIG upgrade over 2.1)..when everyone else was getting them months ago. Oh well..as you said..to each their own.
    I agree Samsung rushed the launch but Samsung had 2.2 out in Sept/oct. Tmobile held the update. Been running 2.2 since Oct. I learned not to depend on carriers anymore on updates cause it happened on my 8900. T-Mobile finally released os5 long after it was a discontinued model. I flashed 5.0 on my 8900 from a different carrier.
    Last edited by darkmanx2g; 02-27-11 at 08:58 AM.
    02-27-11 08:45 AM
    I learned not to depend on carriers anymore on updates cause it happened on my 8900. T-Mobile finally released os5 long after it was a discontinued model. I flashed 5.0 on my 8900 from a different carrier.
    +1 on not relying on carriers. Unfortunately..the majority of people DO rely on them..and don't trust things unless it's spoon fed to them. The more an individual can do for themselves (in regards to tech) the better off they will be. It's like computers..most people will just run the thing until it locks up from so many viruses etc..and then they just take it in and let someone else deal with it. Where as if they just ran virus scanners and defrags every once in a while..the thing would last them much longer with far fewer headaches. The same applies to cellphones nowadays.
    02-27-11 08:54 AM
    I think he was referring to high level cellphone security..not the actual security the CIA/FBI provide
    ahhh, but the choice of telecommunications and the infrastructure that supports that choice is one of the tools of those agencies. While no one in his/her right mind would send secure information over a phone, there is plenty of sensitive.
    02-27-11 09:09 AM
    I didn't discount the importance of FBI CIA security. I merely stated blackberries are a business work phone not a consumer phone and not everyone needs high level FBI CIA cell phone security.
    That's excellent it fits your needs I didn't intend to sound like blackberrys are completely irrelevant. I stated its for people that don't need 3g and for businessmen/women.
    Point taken on the security, but step back for a bit and see that the infrastructure and BES are critical to those agencies, among others. For example, FEMA is one agency with which I have a relationship and they do need the security of BES, not for the security of it but for the communication and sync capabilities with other federal networks.

I'm not certain about what you mean by people who don't need 3G....I need 3G both as a consumer and a business person. At this point in time, I wouldn't buy a phone that didn't offer it.
    02-27-11 09:14 AM
    +1 on not relying on carriers. Unfortunately..the majority of people DO rely on them..and don't trust things unless it's spoon fed to them. The more an individual can do for themselves (in regards to tech) the better off they will be. It's like computers..most people will just run the thing until it locks up from so many viruses etc..and then they just take it in and let someone else deal with it. Where as if they just ran virus scanners and defrags every once in a while..the thing would last them much longer with far fewer headaches. The same applies to cellphones nowadays.
    Sometimes you get "stuck" on a carrier because of family - most of my family stateside is on AT&T. When I travel I needed GSM, until Verizon began releasing world phones.
    I remember wanting to go to Verizon when I couldn't get a signal on the DC Metro...but couldn't. Glad that now the DC Metro is open to all carriers.
    02-27-11 09:17 AM
110 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD