That might be a good comparison if RIM's sales weren't going up significantly every quarter year after year. If you think RIM is on the verge of collapse then I would say I think you're kidding yourself.
    Don't forget why those sales are going up..and in what markets.

And I really don't think RIM is going anywhere..at least anytime soon. There will always be a niche for them to fill. People love the physical keyboard and security of a BB. I'm just not sure if they will get that top notch respect back that used to come with owning a BB. But..only time will tell. As long as they don't let their brand name fade from public perception too much..
    02-10-11 05:50 PM
    Don't forget why those sales are going up..and in what markets.

And I really don't think RIM is going anywhere..at least anytime soon. There will always be a niche for them to fill. People love the physical keyboard and security of a BB. I'm just not sure if they will get that top notch respect back that used to come with owning a BB. But..only time will tell. As long as they don't let their brand name fade from public perception too much..
    I really don't think ANY phone will garnish respect like having a Blackberry garnished in the past.

having a Blackberry in 2006 meant you were either a major gadget geek, or you had a job that was important enough to require email all the time.

NOW so many phones do that, there is no phone that is in a class of it's own.

RIM does not need to regain marketshare, they need to maintain consistent shipment gains of smartphones year after year.

as for this thread. FAR from too little too late, RIM has supplied many North American users with devices they love, and done the same globally, these new devices on the road map are improvements, upon the existing line up, and I must say, they are significant hardware improvements compared to the minor incremental changes we've seen over the last 30 months.

I really don't see how Q3 2011, equates to Q2 2012 for Canadians, as I didn't wait 6 months for my Torch.

Now I am very much an optimist for RIM, I can't see them missing every opportunity, 2010 was a major year for buying and dealing with International governments, I hope 2011 is the first few steps in the marathon that is the Smartphone business,
    The Playbook looks Solid
    OS6.1 looks very promising,
    QNX on the Smartphone in 12-18 months? not too far fetched, and gives OS6 enough time to have earned it's keep.

Will some company's try other produces besides RIM? sure.
    Will some of them come back to RIM products? you betcha!

being in sales I see many people with dual phones, and some are company issued iPhones, while they use personal blackberry's to get things done.
    and some carry 2 blackberrys. I have yet to see a dual iPhone wielder. ( I don't see Androids in the marketplace )
    Machzy likes this.
    02-10-11 06:08 PM
    Kevin posting this in the first place is a huge fail. Come back when you have new info.
    Curious post � seems like a good idea to have everything in one place to avoid wasting time surfing...
    02-10-11 06:26 PM
    That might be a good comparison if RIM's sales weren't going up significantly every quarter year after year. If you think RIM is on the verge of collapse then I would say I think you're kidding yourself.
    Righto. If RIMs financial outlook wasn't on the upside it would be a different story.
    02-10-11 07:43 PM
    Have to agree, BlackBerry gets done what I need done, and that is quite a lot. Too little too late, not hardly. 6.1 upgrades an OS that is already improving (I like 6.0, and have adapted to it readily.) And there appears to be more to come, even for the fickle and easily bored. Integrate what we appreciate into better flowing screens and features, I'll be quite happy.
    +1

10char
    02-10-11 09:52 PM
    I have yet to see a dual iPhone wielder. ( I don't see Androids in the marketplace )
    Eyes popped out when at first glance I read dual iPhone "welder".

(That could be a useful tool to fashion a great prototype for your dual touch screen phone!)
    02-10-11 10:22 PM
    Have to agree, BlackBerry gets done what I need done, and that is quite a lot. Too little too late, not hardly. 6.1 upgrades an OS that is already improving (I like 6.0, and have adapted to it readily.) And there appears to be more to come, even for the fickle and easily bored. Integrate what we appreciate into better flowing screens and features, I'll be quite happy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    And, throw a Playbook pacifier in for good measure, and THEN...when we least expect it, roll out the QNX Frankenphone (or whatever we're supposed to call it). Just do it before that 400 lb gorilla from Finland starts launching Windows phones into the NA market.
    02-10-11 10:34 PM
    2011 BlackBerry Smartphone Roadmap Explained in Detail | CrackBerry.com

I bought my Torch as a stopgap and this validates my decision.

Sad, really.

- R.
    Sadder, really. The correct stopgap is the Torch 2.
    02-10-11 10:40 PM
    ... I really don't see how Q3 2011, equates to Q2 2012 for Canadians, as I didn't wait 6 months for my Torch.
    Just to respond to this point, partly type and partly experience.

Typo in that I was allowing 6 months, which should have made it Q1 2012. My apologies for that.

Experience in that I'm allowing time for a decent OS version to be shipped/available for official upgrade, and for 3rd party apps to be out and stable on the new OS. With my S1 it was close to a year, even allowing for the unavoidable instability of the Storm. With my Torch I'd say it was about a 1-2 month delay for physical shipping, and it was decent when it shipped as there were lots of new versions released quickly - although even now I get occasional random lag and freezing. So given we're talking OS 6.1, which may/may not have QNX involved somehow, I feel a 6 ,month allowance would be reasonable.

- R.
    02-11-11 12:11 AM
    When/where did I call Kevin stupid.
    You said:
    Seriously, if it takes anyone an hour to find an article that was posted a month ago then they're stupid.
    After Kevin said:
    It took me an afternoon to round it up into one decent spot that was current, so don't call it a huge fail. That shiz took time to put together and is going to save people tons of time!

As much as I criticize Kevin/the CB Team, I've never called any one of them stupid or questioned their intelligence in any way.
    but it is okay to call everyone else stupid? I get it, the information is there, but some people aren't going to dig down for this. and not due to mental faculty. They just don't have that sort of time.

Again, what is the rumored/upcoming devices page for then on the banner? And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he (as well as BGR) make a super post with all of the info/pics?
    That is for discussion, and speculation. The Blogs are meant to be more informative.
    Laugh away my friend.
    I am...I am
    02-11-11 04:56 AM
    Hey, that's a good question. Anyone got an answer? JK

These doom and gloom posts were getting old weeks ago. Now they are just down right annoying.
    They've been annoying for a year...literally...

I noticed something yesterday while waiting at O'Hare....there was a huge number of suits (I'd already changed into my jeans and long sleeve T-shirt, REFUSE to travel in a suit, but I digress) and the overwhelming majority of those suits were carrying BBerries. There were a few, like me, who carried more than one!
    I also noticed some young people with iPhones - easily distinguishable from far away by the bumper. A few 3GS. A few suits with iPhones.

The idea that BB is dying or in its last legs or that it's not up to standard was nowhere around O'Hare last night. I can say that the majority of people taking care of business while waiting at the airport were carrying BBerries.

Oh, I saw four iPads. They are gorgeous devices, just as the iPhones. But they are much too large. Watching a couple of people handle them really told me that the size is not right for me.

So doom and gloomers.....meh.....my preferences and my observations of the AA terminal last night tell me different.
    Guatiao and espresso1967 like this.
    02-11-11 07:16 AM
    They've been annoying for a year...literally...

I noticed something yesterday while waiting at O'Hare....there was a huge number of suits (I'd already changed into my jeans and long sleeve T-shirt, REFUSE to travel in a suit, but I digress) and the overwhelming majority of those suits were carrying BBerries. There were a few, like me, who carried more than one!
    I also noticed some young people with iPhones - easily distinguishable from far away by the bumper. A few 3GS. A few suits with iPhones.

The idea that BB is dying or in its last legs or that it's not up to standard was nowhere around O'Hare last night. I can say that the majority of people taking care of business while waiting at the airport were carrying BBerries.

Oh, I saw four iPads. They are gorgeous devices, just as the iPhones. But they are much too large. Watching a couple of people handle them really told me that the size is not right for me.

So doom and gloomers.....meh.....my preferences and my observations of the AA terminal last night tell me different.

Did you just want us to know you wear a suit? You can't say that suits prefer BBs. They are using BBs because corporate bought it for them and the technology serves corporate. BB isn't dying, but they may go away for a while like Palm did.
    02-11-11 08:21 AM

I'll be quite happy with a BB that charges without me having to tape the charger to the phone.

What's really sad is I was talking to a friend of my sister's who works for Verizon and the friend was telling me to stay away from BB and hit up Droid. I was asking her about the Storm2 and what it'd take for me to port my number from Sprint to pick up a Storm2. She told me to just ditch BB and go Droid. Um. No.

I did ask about the S3 and though she didn't have an exact date, she guessed the release date to be end of May/First of June.

We'll see.
    Last edited by ColdSunshine; 02-11-11 at 08:57 AM.
    02-11-11 08:55 AM
    Did you just want us to know you wear a suit? You can't say that suits prefer BBs. They are using BBs because corporate bought it for them and the technology serves corporate. BB isn't dying, but they may go away for a while like Palm did.
    I always wear a suit!!!!! With red stilettos...

That's my point - corporate still predominantly uses BBerries. They're customers too. When someone else comes up with the functionalities of BES, RIM will go away.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 02-11-11 at 09:08 AM.
    02-11-11 09:04 AM
    I'm running this 9700 to the ground and the same goes with all of my current/obsolete cool technology i love. 'nuff said.

02-11-11 09:41 AM
    I'll be quite happy with a BB that charges without me having to tape the charger to the phone.

What's really sad is I was talking to a friend of my sister's who works for Verizon and the friend was telling me to stay away from BB and hit up Droid. I was asking her about the Storm2 and what it'd take for me to port my number from Sprint to pick up a Storm2. She told me to just ditch BB and go Droid. Um. No.

I did ask about the S3 and though she didn't have an exact date, she guessed the release date to be end of May/First of June.

We'll see.
    Yeah, unfortunately it seems they have been assimilated already. I'm good for now, I see they have a plan for the future, and it will be interesting to see how this all pans out. Droid has a lot of devices, but basically, in order to make 'em work efficiently, you have to go through and make a lot of changes, and even then, it still may not be up to snuff in regards to some features. But from outward appearance, out of the box, they all look pretty much the same.

You basically either get a touchscreen device or a touchscreen/landscape slider, with the only aberration being the Droid Pro. While the screen on a landscape slider is cool, I abhor typing on them. I blind touch-type one-handed on my BlackBerry much of the time, after a lot of practice. Adapting to a BlackBerry keyboard is pretty easy. One handed type on a landscape slider isn't quite easy, especially if you don't have basketball player sized hands.

Iphone, well, it is what it is. I'm glad some people enjoy them, and I'll leave it at that.

I've seen complaints from folks who think BlackBerry has too many different devices. Well, apparently, they're not too dumb, because they are meeting with success by diversification.

The OS evolution, it's needed, and coming together nicely. This is my 3rd BlackBerry, and by far whups the pants off of my other devices by a fair piece. I have room to play, things move along pretty quickly, and I have a form factor that is 100% comfortable in my hand.

Can the browser improve? Yes. Can speed improve? Yes. With the team I see them assembling, I'd say those issues are being addressed. As long as I see movement, rather than stagnation, I'm cool with that.

a

02-11-11 09:41 AM
    I always wear a suit!!!!! With red stilettos...

That's my point - corporate still predominantly uses BBerries. They're customers too. When someone else comes up with the functionalities of BES, RIM will go away.
    Thank you.. thank you

For the record, I'm currently wearing yellow sylk underpants under my bluejeans that I decided to wear today instead of a suit because it's Friday and I didn't shave (this is true!)

With my example of Palm, it was the same. wherever I took a job, I was handed a Palm organizer. Then... I got a Smartphone. Palm was ursurped. Then Palm disappeared. Now... under a different roof, HP is trying to bring it back in a Smartphone. I'm beggining to feel like Android is the ursurper of BB right now. I'm feeling like the loser leadership of RIM is using the term "Superphone" in an attempt to be the future ursurper - but I need to deal with the right now!

Note:
    I believe, strongly, in the engineers of RIM. It is the leadership, only, that I have developed some distaste for.
    02-11-11 10:03 AM

And then adding to the fact that these 2011 BB's are years behind software-wise and a year behind hardware-wise, it most likely won't stop the bleeding at all. With the iPhone 5 coming out for both AT&T and Verizon and the Android superphones being pumped out this year for all carriers, it'll be a pretty hard sell to convince consumers to take these OS 6.1 devices seriously. Not to mention webOS phones will be kicking in full swing (if HP keeps their word about being serious in the smartphone business) and Windows Phone 7 slowly being adopted.
    I would hope that HP doesn't do what they have been doing in the past.

Client PC's. The little tiny ones with just a cd drive and that is it. Less than 3 years after buying them they went in the trash. NO Support

Home Media Server. Stopping support on them. Great so now what do I do.
    02-11-11 10:54 AM
    I would hope that HP doesn't do what they have been doing in the past.

Client PC's. The little tiny ones with just a cd drive and that is it. Less than 3 years after buying them they went in the trash. NO Support

Home Media Server. Stopping support on them. Great so now what do I do.
    Ever heard of linux? Windows can go shove it. www.ubuntu.com

Now you don't need to throw it out

02-11-11 10:58 AM
    Thank you.. thank you

For the record, I'm currently wearing yellow sylk underpants under my bluejeans that I decided to wear today instead of a suit because it's Friday and I didn't shave (this is true!)

With my example of Palm, it was the same. wherever I took a job, I was handed a Palm organizer. Then... I got a Smartphone. Palm was ursurped. Then Palm disappeared. Now... under a different roof, HP is trying to bring it back in a Smartphone. I'm beggining to feel like Android is the ursurper of BB right now. I'm feeling like the loser leadership of RIM is using the term "Superphone" in an attempt to be the future ursurper - but I need to deal with the right now!

Note:
    I believe, strongly, in the engineers of RIM. It is the leadership, only, that I have developed some distaste for.
    Let's drop the clothing thing before we get flamed!!!!

I don't fall for the "Superphone" hype because it's simply a spin, so it's not an issue for me. At this point in time, I would not think that either iOS or Android can replace BB in its core simply because of the huge hacking industry. Secure IT departments generally don't go for devices that can be easily hacked, have how-to hack instructions readily available, and don't allow for remote monitoring. For corporate and/or business sectors, other platforms are infiltrating. You will see a higher number of those platforms in those businesses and corporations, to be sure.

And I actually don't thnk RIM leadership is in any way clueless. Slow to react? Perhaps. I will buy their products as long as they continue to please me. And we'll continue to be on BES until someone comes up with a better solution.

The high prevalence of jailbreaking and rooting is what is hurting iOS and Android penetration into secure environments. Ironally, it's the greatest supporters of those platforms who, through their hacking, are hurting their platforms' chances for integration into the secure environment.
    02-11-11 11:12 AM
    The high prevalence of jailbreaking and rooting is what is hurting iOS and Android penetration into secure environments. Ironally, it's the greatest supporters of those platforms who, through their hacking, are hurting their platforms' chances for integration into the secure environment.
    This is a common misconception. Rooted/Jailbroken devices can be denied access to secure networks and/or locked down. You can remove the IT Policy from a BlackBerry too, but good luck getting it to work on its network.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 02-11-11 at 11:59 AM.
    02-11-11 11:52 AM
    http://crackberry.com/blackberry-roadmap-2011

1) I can develop a snappy Powerpoint presentation too - doesn't mean anything for real life delivery

2) New phones not coming to US until Q3 2011 - real life delivery here in Canada, with OS finally stable, 3rd party apps ported and stable, etc. = Q2 2012

3) Sad that such small things (ability to hide panes you don't want to see, etc.) get such big press

4) With all this work on OS6.1, including multiple flavours, I'd guess QNX for phones is 2 years away from being out, stable, with lots of proven 3rd party apps available

I bought my Torch as a stopgap and this validates my decision. Smartphone tech for our company to be re-evaluated mid-2011, and if RIM sticks to this roadmap I'd expect to see us venture elsewhere.

Sad, really.

- R.
    uh, what? must be a telus thing.
    02-11-11 11:55 AM
    1st to the OP, I want to apologize for hijacking your thread; please, no more on this matter. Opinions are like bungholes, everyone's got one. Not everyone sees things the same way.

@The_Engine
    I was calling people who couldn't click/look around for upcoming and/or rumored devices stupid (which was inappropriate), not Kevin for putting that repost together again. And you're right, maybe they don't have the "time."

In regards to the rumored/upcoming devices page being for discussion and speculation with the blog posts being more informative, that page (rumored/upcoming) has a sub-forum with titles consisting of names to identify each device (code names, official names etc). In each sub-forum, the first post is a sticky listing the specs, posted by a mod which basically reiterates everything from the blog.
    02-11-11 12:12 PM
    Ever heard of linux? Windows can go shove it. Ubuntu homepage | Ubuntu

Now you don't need to throw it out

For the client PC's or the Home Server?

If it is for the Home Server. I am already reading on them.

And MS isn't the company that turned their back on my products HP did. Oh and McAfee uke:
    02-11-11 12:32 PM
    Let's drop the clothing thing before we get flamed!!!!

I don't fall for the "Superphone" hype because it's simply a spin, so it's not an issue for me. At this point in time, I would not think that either iOS or Android can replace BB in its core simply because of the huge hacking industry. Secure IT departments generally don't go for devices that can be easily hacked, have how-to hack instructions readily available, and don't allow for remote monitoring. For corporate and/or business sectors, other platforms are infiltrating. You will see a higher number of those platforms in those businesses and corporations, to be sure.

And I actually don't thnk RIM leadership is in any way clueless. Slow to react? Perhaps. I will buy their products as long as they continue to please me. And we'll continue to be on BES until someone comes up with a better solution.

I agree with all you've said - including the part about dropping clothing

I feel that I'm lucky, right now, because my current employ allows me to buy and use my own devices.
    02-11-11 01:13 PM
110 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD