http://crackberry.com/blackberry-roadmap-2011

1) I can develop a snappy Powerpoint presentation too - doesn't mean anything for real life delivery

2) New phones not coming to US until Q3 2011 - real life delivery here in Canada, with OS finally stable, 3rd party apps ported and stable, etc. = Q2 2012

3) Sad that such small things (ability to hide panes you don't want to see, etc.) get such big press

4) With all this work on OS6.1, including multiple flavours, I'd guess QNX for phones is 2 years away from being out, stable, with lots of proven 3rd party apps available

I bought my Torch as a stopgap and this validates my decision. Smartphone tech for our company to be re-evaluated mid-2011, and if RIM sticks to this roadmap I'd expect to see us venture elsewhere.

Sad, really.

- R.
    02-10-11 11:31 AM
    If there is one thing anyone knows about Blackberry is that they are holding true to their platform and approach to the smart phone. They are not interested in an arms race with other manufacturers, just providing that Blackberry experience.

If you don't like it, move on. They have and will evolve, if it's not fast enough for you then just go elsewhere. I did and I'm not here whining about it.
    aab81901 likes this.
    02-10-11 11:37 AM
    Kevin posting this in the first place is a huge fail. Come back when you have new info.
    02-10-11 11:48 AM
    OMG, doom and gloom again. Another self appointed RIM expert prophesies the end of the world have read a zero knowledge article.
    02-10-11 12:20 PM
    This is what you would call a stop-gap, much like what Microsoft did with Windows Mobile 6.5. The terrible parts (and there are many) of a stop-gap solution are:
    1) Developers aren't going to develop for stop-gap phones when the platform is clearly at the end of its life
    2) Consumers, if they know there are next generation phones coming out in the next year, won't buy stop-gap phones

And then adding to the fact that these 2011 BB's are years behind software-wise and a year behind hardware-wise, it most likely won't stop the bleeding at all. With the iPhone 5 coming out for both AT&T and Verizon and the Android superphones being pumped out this year for all carriers, it'll be a pretty hard sell to convince consumers to take these OS 6.1 devices seriously. Not to mention webOS phones will be kicking in full swing (if HP keeps their word about being serious in the smartphone business) and Windows Phone 7 slowly being adopted.
    Last edited by alby4ever; 02-10-11 at 12:43 PM.
    02-10-11 12:20 PM
    Sad? I think classifying something as sad would be young people dying before their time because of preventable diseases.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-10-11 12:24 PM
    Why do people think their posts will seem more intelligent if they just put them in numbered bullet points?

There have been other sources that have reported Q2 for the Monaco/Montana. Let's actually wait for RIM's ACTUAL official announcement before we start the crying/whining.
    02-10-11 12:33 PM
    2011 BlackBerry Smartphone Roadmap Explained in Detail | CrackBerry.com

1) I can develop a snappy Powerpoint presentation too - doesn't mean anything for real life delivery

2) New phones not coming to US until Q3 2011 - real life delivery here in Canada, with OS finally stable, 3rd party apps ported and stable, etc. = Q2 2012

3) Sad that such small things (ability to hide panes you don't want to see, etc.) get such big press

4) With all this work on OS6.1, including multiple flavours, I'd guess QNX for phones is 2 years away from being out, stable, with lots of proven 3rd party apps available

I bought my Torch as a stopgap and this validates my decision. Smartphone tech for our company to be re-evaluated mid-2011, and if RIM sticks to this roadmap I'd expect to see us venture elsewhere.

Sad, really.

- R.
    Regardless of what the roadmap looks like, you've still got your Torch, which you seem to be saying was the right decision. If that's sad, really, then you bought the wrong phone. I'm looking at all the new stuff rumored to be coming out thinking, gee, that all looks pretty cool, I wouldn't mind upgrading to one of those. I can b!tch all I want that they won't be out until Q3, but the reality is that I can't upgrade before then anyway. Most people who have a Torch can't upgrade before August (not without paying full price). Everybody else, does waiting another month or two make your current phone any less useful than it is today? If it does, you probably won't be happy with the next crop of BB's anyway, so may as well just go get an Atrix.

02-10-11 12:38 PM
    This is what you would call a stop-gap, much like what Microsoft did with Windows 6.5. The terrible parts (and there are many) of a stop-gap solution are:
    1) Developers aren't going to develop for stop-gap phones when the platform is clearly at the end of its life
    2) Consumers, if they know there are next generation phones coming out in the next year, won't buy stop-gap phones

And then adding to the fact that these 2011 BB's are years behind software-wise and a year behind hardware-wise, it most likely won't stop the bleeding at all. With the iPhone 5 coming out for both AT&T and Verizon and the Android superphones being pumped out this year for all carriers, it'll be a pretty hard sell to convince consumers to take these OS 6.1 devices seriously. Not to mention webOS phones will be kicking in full swing (if HP keeps their word about being serious in the smartphone business) and Windows Phone 7 slowly being adopted.
    GOOD!!! In a way I hope RIM gets trounced in this supposed race for market share, because I don't want what everybody else is buying anyway.

02-10-11 12:42 PM
    Kevin posting this in the first place is a huge fail. Come back when you have new info.
    DUDE! Huge fail my a$$! I posted that so we can have all of the info rounded up into one article so people who are not glued to the blogs/forums can get up to speed quickly. All of this 2011 info is so spread about posts, it takes a person an hour of searching and clicking to find it. It took me an afternoon to round it up into one decent spot that was current, so don't call it a huge fail. That shiz took time to put together and is going to save people tons of time!

Update: Even made a new banner for the homepage that links to the new roadmap article, so it's easy for people to find. Talk about helping people. Fail.... pfffft. http://crackberry.com/themes/crackbe...er-roadmap.jpg
    02-10-11 12:48 PM
    DUDE! Huge fail my a$$! I posted that so we can have all of the info rounded up into one article so people who are not glued to the blogs/forums can get up to speed quickly. All of this 2011 info is so spread about posts, it takes a person an hour of searching and clicking to find it. It took me an afternoon to round it up into one decent spot that was current, so don't call it a huge fail. That shiz took time to put together and is going to save people tons of time!
    But will it stop people from asking when Verizon will release a new phone? That's the important question.
    02-10-11 01:01 PM
    But will it stop people from asking when Verizon will release a new phone? That's the important question.
    That's just crazy talk there!!!
    02-10-11 01:18 PM

Update: Even made a new banner for the homepage that links to the new roadmap article, so it's easy for people to find. Talk about helping people. Fail.... pfffft. http://crackberry.com/themes/crackbe...er-roadmap.jpg
    And what happens in a few weeks and nothing is actually released? Post it again so people can stay "up to speed?" This info is how old? Has it even been a month since BGR posted this stuff? Seriously, if it takes anyone an hour to find an article that was posted a month ago then they're stupid.

You mention putting it into one place... isn't that what Upcoming/Rumored BlackBerry Smartphones - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com is for?

If it takes someone an hour to click something (that link^) which is on the banner of every CB page, they probably shouldn't own a smartphone.

I am baffled at the people who agree with your comment.

On behalf of newbs everywhere, thanks for making something easy even easier!
    Last edited by CASH; 02-10-11 at 01:58 PM.
    02-10-11 01:54 PM
    Hey, that's a good question. Anyone got an answer? JK

These doom and gloom posts were getting old weeks ago. Now they are just down right annoying.
    02-10-11 01:56 PM
    These doom and gloom posts were getting old weeks ago. Now they are just down right annoying.
    +1
    Part of the reason why I took a break from CB and why I don't visit as often.
    Machzy likes this.
    02-10-11 02:00 PM

't stop the bleeding at all. With the iPhone 5 coming out for both AT&T and Verizon and the Android superphones being pumped out this year for all carriers, it'll be a pretty hard sell to convince consumers to take these OS 6.1 devices seriously. Not to mention webOS phones will be kicking in full swing (if HP keeps their word about being serious in the smartphone business) and Windows Phone 7 slowly being adopted.
    Not really at least not for me. Those of us who are BB loyal like me will stay loyal. Everyone has their own tastes as far as phones go. My tastes happen to be for BB.

FoxxBerry likes this.
    02-10-11 03:25 PM
    Not really at least not for me. Those of us who are BB loyal like me will stay loyal. Everyone has their own tastes as far as phones go. My tastes happen to be for BB.

Have to agree, BlackBerry gets done what I need done, and that is quite a lot. Too little too late, not hardly. 6.1 upgrades an OS that is already improving (I like 6.0, and have adapted to it readily.) And there appears to be more to come, even for the fickle and easily bored. Integrate what we appreciate into better flowing screens and features, I'll be quite happy.

02-10-11 03:44 PM
    OMG, doom and gloom again.
    I wonder how many doom and gloom threads happened in the Palm forums? And how many people scoffed and laughed and pointed and ridiculed those nay-sayers? I imagine it was similiar to what we are seeing now. Palm dropping hints and rumoured phones..keeping people enticed enough to keep hanging on..much like Sylvester Stallone trying to hang on to his beloved girl-friend (and acting career) in Cliffhanger..

How is Palm doing these days anyways?
    02-10-11 03:45 PM
    I wonder how many doom and gloom threads happened in the Palm forums? And how many people scoffed and laughed and pointed and ridiculed those nay-sayers? I imagine it was similiar to what we are seeing now. Palm dropping hints and rumoured phones..keeping people enticed enough to keep hanging on..much like Sylvester Stallone trying to hang on to his beloved girl-friend (and acting career) in Cliffhanger..

That might be a good comparison if RIM's sales weren't going up significantly every quarter year after year. If you think RIM is on the verge of collapse then I would say I think you're kidding yourself.
    02-10-11 03:50 PM

Palm is doing so well that their name or logo isn't even on the new webOS tablets or smartphones; all HP branding.
    02-10-11 03:59 PM
    And what happens in a few weeks and nothing is actually released? Post it again so people can stay "up to speed?" This info is how old? Has it even been a month since BGR posted this stuff? Seriously, if it takes anyone an hour to find an article that was posted a month ago then they're stupid.

You mention putting it into one place... isn't that what Upcoming/Rumored BlackBerry Smartphones - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com is for?

If it takes someone an hour to click something (that link^) which is on the banner of every CB page, they probably shouldn't own a smartphone.

I am baffled at the people who agree with your comment.

On behalf of newbs everywhere, thanks for making something easy even easier!
    So since it took Kevin an afternoon to assemble that information he is stupid?

That's kind of ignorant. Kevin's blog post was a great sum uppance of some recent leaks. I think Kevin is spot on for putting it all together in one spot. Not everyone lives here and some just want it all in 1 neat package. For some of us who do live here it is a nice review of a few things that we probably read across a couple of different sittings. Not a fail at all.

As far as the roadmap goes, RIM isn't going anywhere and these new devices and 6.1 will bring them much closer to parity with other platforms. Its true that knowing that qnx is on the horizon may cause some developers and consumers to hold off, but I think both qnx and 6.1 will support some of the same sdk. I could be wrong on that. The bold touch will sell a ton regardless.

Either way, RIM may not be blowing away the competition in 1 move, but 2011 is a year where they will start to fight back towards that #1 spot. How successful they will be is anyone's guess.

Buy damn this sort of thread makes me chuckle.

02-10-11 04:35 PM

Bu*t* damn this sort of thread makes me chuckle.
    Chuckle is a word I would've used to describe this type of thread about a month ago...now it's getting scary how people think their opinions rank high enough in other peoples minds to actually make a difference...
    02-10-11 04:42 PM
    So since it took Kevin an afternoon to assemble that information he is stupid?
    When/where did I call Kevin stupid.

As much as I criticize Kevin/the CB Team, I've never called any one of them stupid or questioned their intelligence in any way. When someone does something "stupid," it doesn't mean they're stupid. When someone does something "smart," it does not mean they are smart.

That's kind of ignorant. Kevin's blog post was a great sum uppance of some recent leaks. I think Kevin is spot on for putting it all together in one spot. Not everyone lives here and some just want it all in 1 neat package. For some of us who do live here it is a nice review of a few things that we probably read across a couple of different sittings. Not a fail at all.
    Again, what is the rumored/upcoming devices page for then on the banner? And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he (as well as BGR) make a super post with all of the info/pics?

Buy damn this sort of thread makes me chuckle.
    Laugh away my friend.
    02-10-11 04:52 PM
    Chuckle is a word I would've used to describe this type of thread about a month ago...now it's getting scary how people think their opinions rank high enough in other peoples minds to actually make a difference...
    Care to elaborate?...
    02-10-11 04:54 PM
    I don't think people are convincing others to leave BB (if that's what you're referring to). People (in large numbers) are leaving BB on their own.
    JoelTruckerDude likes this.
    02-10-11 05:15 PM
110 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD