hey guys, i saw today that tmobile has a 200mb data plan for 10$ i was thinking of getting this, anyone know if that is enough for decent use ? some months i only use facebook, bbm, browse a few pages, and 10-20 emails a day, and some apps but some other months i do a little bit more, let me know if 200 mb is enough or if i would go over.
    02-12-11 11:00 PM
    200 MB is more than enough for your situation. I use berryweather, engadget, bloomberg mobile, bbm, poynt throughout the day as well as browsing and pushed e-mail. As long as you don't stream video or music over 3g, 200mb is plenty.
    02-12-11 11:52 PM
    Do you still have the 9530? That device does not have Wi-Fi, so the 200 MB data plan might not be sufficient for your use. I would suggest that you check your past billing statements to get an idea of your average use. If you have a different device that does have Wi-Fi capability, then you could very potentially use far less data, if you have Wi-Fi at home and at work.
    02-13-11 12:01 AM
    I decided to go with the 200 mb plan as well and I've been turning on wi-fi and using it, I think.

Once it is on, the device knows to use it instead of the data plan?
    02-13-11 12:04 AM
    I decided to go with the 200 mb plan as well and I've been turning on wi-fi and using it, I think.

Once it is on, the device knows to use it instead of the data plan?
    If you have set up once (password, login), it should always switch to your wifi network, once the phone is in range, let's say you are coming home from somewhere. All smartphones work like that.
    02-13-11 12:24 AM
    Just all depends how heavy you are. I generally FB, BBM and browse mostly CB here on phone everyday. I once in a while browse youtube and music.

I am between 200 and 250mb's a month and I use wifi quite a bit at home. Also to note, I am on EDGE quite often...

I say like the one other poster, check your past months on your plan with carrier and see how you are in a given month. Just have to keep a close eye on MB's used....it is a money saver if you can do it. If I could switch wife back to a BB, would save a lot, but her Android phone sucks it up. She hardly uses data and hits over 500mb's every month...compression on BB's rock!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-11 07:00 AM
    i have a bold 9000, and i have unlimited so i cant check how much mb i used because its unlimited, i have wifi capability but dont use it much because i dont have wifi at home
    02-13-11 11:04 AM
    i have a bold 9000, and i have unlimited so i cant check how much mb i used because its unlimited, i have wifi capability but dont use it much because i dont have wifi at home
    Here is a free app that helps to keep track of your data usage. My data plan is unlimited, but I still like this app to keep track of what I use.

Even though my data plan is unlimited, my carrier still shows how much data I used on my billing statements. I can also dial *3282# to view data usage in a current billing cycle. I would suggest that you check with your carrier. They must have some way for customers to know how much data they use.
    02-13-11 11:15 AM
    Do you have to extend/renew your contract to switch lines on a family plan from the unlimited $30/month to the $10/month?

02-13-11 11:50 AM
    I know for me 200MB would not be enough, I use generally about 2GB/month or more.
    02-13-11 01:40 PM
    Your carrier will still tell you how much data you use, even if you have an unlimited plan.
    I use close to 400mb of data a month, and the only time I'm not on wifi is when I'm walking the three blocks to/from class. So I don't even want to think about how much I'd use without wifi.
    02-13-11 01:58 PM
    I'd kill 200mb in a few days, but my wife uses an Android and rarely goes over 100mb. Its all in how you use it.

02-13-11 02:31 PM
    i dont use wifi much 200 mb wont be enough for about 5 pages a day of browsing, bbm, facebook, weather app, and gmail app for email ?
    02-13-11 08:12 PM
    I'm a heavy user on my bold 9700 and I tether it sometimes and I only used 141mb since Feb 1st so far. But then again, I have unlimited.
    02-13-11 08:18 PM
    this app isnt working, i get uncaught exception error, i had to uninstall it, is there any other app that tracks the amount of data you use ?

Here is a free app that helps to keep track of your data usage. My data plan is unlimited, but I still like this app to keep track of what I use.

Even though my data plan is unlimited, my carrier still shows how much data I used on my billing statements. I can also dial *3282# to view data usage in a current billing cycle. I would suggest that you check with your carrier. They must have some way for customers to know how much data they use.
    02-13-11 10:15 PM
    200MB is not enough for me. If you browse some heavy pages your MBs will dissapear hahaha.
    02-13-11 10:23 PM
    200mb on a BB is very reasonable. I had my unlimited plan, but i was only using 150 to 175mb, and figured why not save $15 a month. If I do ever get close I will just bump up to the 2GB plan for $10 more dollars, and go back to the 200 next month.
    02-13-11 10:23 PM
    On verizon I can check the website for any of my usages. Can't the other carriers do the same? I'm sure. I don't do much heavy data at all and still easily go to 3 or 400mb.
    02-13-11 10:48 PM
    Do you have to extend/renew your contract to switch lines on a family plan from the unlimited $30/month to the $10/month?

No, you do not, but be aware that there are certain stipulations that make that 200mb of data $10. In order to qualify you must:

Be on an Even More Individual or Family Plan
    Have upgraded your device after November 15th (I believe) 2010

If you don't have both of these things, then the 200mb data package will cost you $15 instead of the $10 that is advertised.

I have a Tour 9630 on VZW, and I'm no the 150mb data plan. I BBM, FB, Twitter, BerryWeather, and occasionally use the browser, and the most data I've ever used is 135mb. The Tour (as many of you already know) does NOT have WiFi. I haven't had to change the way that I use my device at all.
    02-14-11 02:45 PM
    If I understand correctly it also makes a difference what browser you use.

The native browser uses RIM's compression where 3rd party browsers do not and consume more data to view the same sights.

Please correct me if I have this wrong.

02-14-11 03:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD