John Chen: 200,000 Passports ordered on day one | MobileSyrup.com

Blackberry is heading to bankruptcy is it continues to operate this way unless they want to be honest with everyone and agree to only being happy with the 1% of the smartphone market that uses QWERTY keyboard smartphone devices.
    09-26-14 08:47 AM
    Cup half empty here you guys! Gather 'round and see! Cup half empty!! ��
    09-26-14 09:33 AM
    lol

Sent from my BlackBerry bugatti using Tapatalk
    09-26-14 09:34 AM
    "The Passport will arrive on Rogers, Bell, SaskTel, and MTS in two colours next week"

I wonder if the Second color is black or white
    09-26-14 09:35 AM
    just need to keep sales going. This is a good start for sure though
    09-26-14 09:37 AM
    200.000 is a huge number. If they could keep the momentum they'll be back in the game for the long run.
    tanzarian likes this.
    09-26-14 09:38 AM
    Huge number considering that as of today it's only available at one Canadian carrier and zero American ones.

Posted via CB10
    BlackistheBerry and bungaboy like this.
    09-26-14 09:41 AM
    200k unlocked is very good. Once you get it to at&t in the US and push for the other markets it won't be that bad of performance at all

Posted with my amazing Z10
    09-26-14 10:19 AM
    Not too shabby, considered 0% US Carrier support and in the face of the massive iphone 6 release.
    Plazmic Flame and bungaboy like this.
    09-26-14 10:26 AM
    The number sounds high-ish? For Blackberry, I mean. For reference, BBRY just announced 2.4 million devices shipped last quarter.

I have no idea whatsoever if it's a good number or not; but, it's nice for John Chen to keep the public informed.
    09-26-14 10:57 AM
    The key is many ads for a long time.look what happened now that there are ads.it will work cause its a quality phone!iphone bents cause its building quality sucks

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 11:12 AM
    I wonder what the rationale was for releasing it only through TELUS for the first week in Canada.
    09-26-14 11:35 AM
    Huge number considering that as of today it's only available at one Canadian carrier and zero American ones.

Posted via CB10
    This is what people don't understand. I'm not saying it's going to sell iPhone numbers, but how many outlets did apple have in order to sell 10 million... BlackBerry had 2 and sold 200k. Never mind the fact that I would think most sales would come with contracts to lessen the financial blow, and that Telus is not Bell or Rogers. So essentially there was Amazon or the third biggest carrier of a pretty small nation. 200k in one day for that... I would say passport hits a million just counting all launch day sales once those days eventually come.

This is GOOD!

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 12:28 PM
    This is what people don't understand. I'm not saying it's going to sell iPhone numbers, but how many outlets did apple have in order to sell 10 million... BlackBerry had 2 and sold 200k. Never mind the fact that I would think most sales would come with contracts to lessen the financial blow, and that Telus is not Bell or Rogers. So essentially there was Amazon or the third biggest carrier of a pretty small nation. 200k in one day for that... I would say passport hits a million just counting all launch day sales once those days eventually come.

This is GOOD!

Posted via CB10
    Wait, wasn't it was also available internationally?
    09-26-14 12:50 PM
    Thread title factually incorrect.
    The 200.000 number refers to online sales from shop BlackBerry and Amazon.
    Add brick and mortar stores in UK and Dubai and operators in Canada and you could maybe count 250.000 or 300.000 sold on first day.
    This is good first day and based on this they can sell more than 3.000.000 in year, and achieve good foundation to 10.000.000 pcs all handsets yearly required by Chen in order to stay in the handset business.
    If there is no major issue found with Passport, that is.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck and bungaboy like this.
    09-26-14 01:36 PM
    I wonder what the rationale was for releasing it only through TELUS for the first week in Canada.
    Telus might had paid BlackBerry for a one week exclusivity.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 01:57 PM

Posted via CB10
    That number doesn't even count carrier sales, just online ones from ShopBB and Amazon. Number may well have been closer to 225k total.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-26-14 02:03 PM
    I'm astonished that they've sold that many Passports, and in such a short time. I still reckon it's fugly and not for me but, credit where it's due, there's clearly several thousand people who disagree with me and these numbers are excellent news for BB.

I'll be interested to see what happens next. Was this the pent-up demand all happening at once, to be followed by crickets... or will the Passport generate steady sales from now on?

I've seen a few posts saying that BB were forecasting sales of 250k Passports/year? If so, these first-day numbers must have surprised them as much as me! LOL

A good start.
    kbz1960, app_Developer and chalx like this.
    09-26-14 02:47 PM
    I apologise on behalf of BlackBerry that it's not the 16.5 million units sold in the first day people were anticipating
    09-26-14 02:53 PM
    And I am one of the lucky 200,000!

Posted via CB10
    q649 likes this.
    09-26-14 06:02 PM
    I've seen a few posts saying that BB were forecasting sales of 250k Passports/year? If so, these first-day numbers must have surprised them as much as me! LOL
    Those were just wild, crapshoot forecasts. There would be no way for Blackberry to even have 200k Passport units for sale on Amazon and ShopBB (or all its retail channels at launch combined) if it had projected sales of merely 250k/units a year.

Considering that Blackberry's goal is to sell 10 million devices a year and it has a tendency to release ~3 non-Porsche design devices a year, the Passport should be expected by Blackberry to sell at least a million units if not more. I'd guesstimate Blackberry expects to sell anywhere between 1 to 6 million Passport/year depending on how the rest of its lineup looks like.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 09-26-14 at 06:22 PM.
    09-26-14 06:12 PM
    200,000 units on the first day just for unlocked models! Mr Chen and the BlackBerry faithful should be happy with that figure. The trick is going to be getting enough units to keep up with the demand.

Sent from my awesome passport on T Mobile USA
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    09-26-14 07:01 PM
    The key is many ads for a long time.look what happened now that there are ads.it will work cause its a quality phone!iphone bents cause its building quality sucks

Posted via CB10
    Ads? Where? I have yet to see one in the US. I did not even see the launch mentioned in the news on TV , and just a few small articles in the newspaper.

I subscribed to BlackBerry 's release notification and got an e-mail a day or so AFTER the release. Other emails I got from them after the release show pictures of the Z30 (along with iPhone and Android in the case of BES) and no Passport. They should change their own email campaigns to make people aware of the new phone.

So, not sure what you mean by "look what happened now that there are ads."

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 07:13 PM
    200k unlocked is very good. Once you get it to at&t in the US and push for the other markets it won't be that bad of performance at all

Posted with my amazing Z10
    Good point. At unlocked prices, that is a large amount, especially for BBRY.
    I hate the comparisons to iPhone sales
    - How many MDM licenses has Apple sold in the last year?
    09-26-14 07:20 PM
    Soon as I can get it through Rogers I'll be happy to add to that total.
    09-26-14 07:30 PM
64 123