11:30 AM
    BlackBerry just announced that it has added 20 million iOS and Android users to its BBM messaging service in one week. This rockets BBM�s total monthly active user base to 80 million. How should we view these numbers? One way to approach them is to make some comparisons: It took Path 16 months to get to 10 million users after the revamped service was launched in the beginning of 2012. Kik took two years to hit 30 million users; Viber took two years to hit 50 million. It took LINE one year to get to 40 million users � and that was considered a stellar success back in 2012.

So obviously, getting to 20 million users in a week is phenomenal, and 80 million MAUs is a big deal.
    BBM Android iPhone: 20 Million Users In First Week | BGR
    FastLane228 and jxnb like this.
    10-29-13 12:52 PM
    more trash from BGR right?
    10-29-13 12:54 PM
    Well I was expecting a lot more negativity towards BlackBerry. I must say I'm proud of BGR they were able to write an unbiased article about BlackBerry. Now if only they could keep this up.

Canadian cities BBM Channel C001234A4
    DurdenLunarius likes this.
    10-29-13 01:03 PM
    Did you read the article? It was decently unbiased and was actually fair to BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 01:06 PM
    I think he was commenting on the fact that every time they say something bad it's biased and shouldn't be posted but because it's positive it's legit.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by BoldPreza; 10-29-13 at 05:35 PM.
    howarmat, h20work, m1a1mg and 8 others like this.
    10-29-13 01:07 PM
    Well I was expecting a lot more negativity towards BlackBerry. I must say I'm proud of BGR they were able to write an unbiased article about BlackBerry. Now if only they could keep this up.

Canadian cities BBM Channel C001234A4
    Why is this one unbiased? It's an opinion still. Could it be that it's just more palatable?
    katiepea, TGR1 and m1a1mg like this.
    10-29-13 01:07 PM
    I think he was commenting on the fact that every time they say something bad it's unbiased and shouldn't be posted but because it's positive it's legit.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly.
    10-29-13 01:08 PM
    Oh just wait. I'm sure there is going to be some garbage very soon. BGR can never have a positive note on BlackBerry without some bash piece following. I don't go there anymore so I will just wait for someone to post it here.

Auto corrected by BB10
    10-29-13 01:08 PM
    WOW 2 positive BGR articles on BlackBerry!
    I think I just saw a pig fly by my window!
    & Hell froze over
    lol
    10-29-13 01:18 PM
    I'm no fan of BGR but this time they did offer some comprehensive, quantifiable information. That fact alone would have set this BGR article above most of what they publish. Even if BlackBerry wasn't involved.
    Yes amazingly neutral article for once

Fired from my Z10
    Cool! BGR will get it right occasionally, though those times may be few and far between. Heck, even a broken clock is right two times per day.
    10-29-13 02:38 PM
    Yeah at least BGR gets the metric correct. 20 million active added users.

I was watching CNBC today and they were talking about the Facebook interest in BB. The newcaster said that BB said that 20 million people have downloaded BBM for iOS and Android. Sloppy reporting.
    10-29-13 02:53 PM
    Cool! BGR will get it right occasionally, though those times may be few and far between. Heck, even a broken clock is right two times per day.
    I think the meat of their stories is pretty much always right. They just (wisely) add spin according to what generates clicks. It's smart. Almost any story no matter negative or positive can be spun and speculated on in a good or bad light. For example with Apple I have noticed a lot of negative spin for a while now. They are still doing phenomenally, yet one can always look for any sign of weakness as impending doom. Is Apple cutting the 5C production because it's a failing product? Or is the 5S doing so much better than expected that the 5C is not as needed? See?

Just take it all for what it is. An attempt to provoke an emotion and get you to click click click.
    10-29-13 02:58 PM
    When BGR gets their hands on the new features being added to Hangouts, and subsequently makes comparisons to BBM, there will be plenty of BGR bashing again.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    MERCDROID and raysgrumpy like this.
    10-29-13 03:10 PM
    When BGR gets their hands on the new features being added to Hangouts, and subsequently makes comparisons to BBM, there will be plenty of BGR bashing again.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    LOL... I was just about to say...
    10-29-13 04:25 PM
    Depends if it's a Digital or Analog Clock

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 06:04 PM
    Not that surprising. These sites simply go with public opinion.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 06:43 PM
    Not that surprising. These sites simply go with public opinion.

Posted via CB10
    I really hope so on this one.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 07:13 PM
    It's always amazing how people pick and choose what Blackberry stories are viable, and which ones have paid media trolls.

Is it safe to assume there are no paid media trolls in the OP's link?
    m1a1mg and h20work like this.
    10-29-13 07:34 PM
    The problem with this math is that I believe a significant portion of the "new" users are really "existing" users who are retiring their BBOS phones and switching full-time to iOS or Android. A lateral move like that doesn't make them a new, additional user, even though I'm sure they're being counted that way.
    richardat and kevinnugent like this.
    10-29-13 07:35 PM
    The problem with this math is that I believe a significant portion of the "new" users are really "existing" users who are retiring their BBOS phones and switching full-time to iOS or Android. A lateral move like that doesn't make them a new, additional user, even though I'm sure they're being counted that way.
    That's not the only problem with the math. It's coming from BGR, which this board has a hate relationship with. Why would any loyal Crackberry member take anything they say seriously now. Not a question.
    10-29-13 07:46 PM
    Still not reading it, out of principle.

Of course it helps that the story has probably been picked up by other...personally palatable sources.
    10-29-13 07:57 PM
    Ahhh... that's the next report from BGR. 20 million new active users but 15 million are from BlackBerry users switching to android full time and dumping their BlackBerry. Then someone about layoffs, and more about they lost another 15 million users so 30 million blackberry devices lost. And then something about a write down.

Auto corrected by BB10
    10-29-13 08:01 PM
    Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes.
    raino likes this.
    10-29-13 08:42 PM
34 12