Sure BBM has room to improve features to compete with whatsapp. But there is one critical core feature that BBM has that whats app does not, actual read receipts!

For me all the other fluff is irrelevant, what's the point of having good picture sharing etc when your the one most important feature is missing....might as well just use SMS if I didn't want read receipts
    02-22-14 12:55 PM
    Sorry please pardon my English, what I'm trying to say is that WhatsApp is totally unreliable.

In WhatsApp you know that the message has left your phone, but you don't know if it is delivered or not. Even though you get the double check marks you are not sure that your messages are delivered. However I have to give credit to WhatsApp for giving the impression that the message is already sent & delivered.

That is all WhatsApp is good for.

Posted via CB10
    I believe one check means sent. Two means delivered. The only thing you don't know is if it's been read.
    02-22-14 02:29 PM
    Which is the most important feature to a lot of us....
    02-22-14 03:02 PM
    Good suggestions. I know I personally use Whatsapp because

1. It's a good app

2. My GF has a windows phone

3. When I send pictures she gets the FULL resolution picture in addition to the thumbnail. Whereas with BBM she would get a low rez version and have to know how to download the full rez version.

For the vast majority of new BBM users who have no idea that they EVEN CAN get the original image, all they know is that shared-pics on BBM look like crap.

The way BBM does it made sense in 2009 and earlier, but not in 2014 in North America.

Sending a 1 MB pic is no big deal for us with our data plans. For us: we don't need BBM to reduce a 1MB HD pic into a 32 KB piece of crap. :/

Posted via CB10
    Just a little info, whatsapp does NOT send full resolution photos, it send high resolution but not the full resolution of the picture.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 03:02 PM
    I bet they can't use it now since it's down

Posted Via CB10 Running On Z10STL100-2 Using OS Version 10.2.1.2141
    02-22-14 03:31 PM
    There are two reasons my friends have NOT given up on WhatsAPP. These are such basic/simple reasons to address and I have emailed BlackBerry countless times about these things. They replied that they agreed with my suggestions (4+ months ago) and yet they haven't implemented them.

Reason 1 # Easy sharing of pictures, videos, files in Group Chat (and/or Multi Person Chat).
    In WhatsApp, if you are in a group chat, you can send picture, video etc. It appears as thumbnail in the chat window itself.

But in BBM group chat, you've to EXIT chat, go to Groups, go to Albums and upload picture. You can't upload videos at all.

Now, I LIKE this separation of group alubms and I like that people are able to comment on each picture separately etc. But come on, how hard is it to add a SHORTCUT in group-chat window menu? "Send Picture" or "Send Video". That short-cut should automatically upload picture to Group Album and show a thumbnail in the Chat-Window. Why force user to EXIT the group chat in the first place?

Reason 2 # For some reason, BBM Cross-Platform's message delivery is still not as reliable as WhatsApps. WhatsApp was also VERY VERY unreliable (delayed delivery etc) first year or so of its existence but it has become very reliable. When I send message to my BBM friends on IOS/Android, sometimes my message doesn't get delivered. So, I send it via WhatsApp and it's instantly delivered. WhatsAPP had same problems initially but they figured out a way to fix this to an extent that it is a rare occurrence now. BBM needs to fix it ASAP too.

There are other small reasons (like BBM emoticons are too small, they should be slightly bigger, some ios/Android user claim that BBM app is laggy, Inviting contacts to BBM is not as intuitive as it is in WhatsApp which basically auto-adds all contacts etc.). But those are minor reasons and can be fixed with under-the-hood performance improvements. But as far as features go - these are the TWO top reasons my friends are still using WhatsApp and BlackBerry has so far refused to fix them even after acknowledging that they agree and will work on them.

I have had conversation with Senior folks at BBM group (Product Manager, Director etc) via email, they have responded via email. I sent detailed feedback with screenshot and suggested work-flow. They agreed. And yet, 4 months later BBM 2.0 lacks these features.

NOTE - If you work for BlackBerry, I'd appreciate if you could forward this feedback (yet again) to BBM Product Manager, Director, Enterprise VP and even John CHEN. . Please.

BlackBerry, you are literally giving away market you could OWN! Wake up, whomsoever is responsible for BBM, and get it done. You can own this market in no time. Don't wake up too late! Wake up now!!
    Your whatsapp is down...lol you should tell your friends to install BBM rather than whatsapp now.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 03:51 PM
    Your whatsapp is down...lol you should tell your friends to install BBM rather than whatsapp now.

Posted via CB10
    sure, because bbm nevverrrr goes down lol. Whatsapp will be repaired and i'll be getting messages again long before the message that my friend sent on bbm for android last week actually gets to my phone
    dannejanne likes this.
    02-22-14 04:12 PM
    Sure you liking bbm right now huh? Lol!

Posted via CB10 running on Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    02-22-14 04:25 PM
    sure, because bbm nevverrrr goes down lol. Whatsapp will be repaired and i'll be getting messages again long before the message that my friend sent on bbm for android last week actually gets to my phone
    Oh well then tell your friend on Android to check if his connected to wifi or get data cause what you said sounds ridiculous! Why is it that all the people I know never had this issue while you have to wait a week to get a message!

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 05:00 PM
    Oh well then tell your friend on Android to check if his connected to wifi or get data cause what you said sounds ridiculous! Why is it that all the people I know never had this issue while you have to wait a week to get a message!

Posted via CB10
    How about you do a Crackberry site search and you'll see a number of people are having issues with bbm message delivery on non blackberry platforms. But of course if you don't know anyone with the issue then it must not exist and everyone else is delusional....
    dannejanne likes this.
    02-22-14 05:19 PM
    Yup... and at least with Whatsapp you usually know it's down... which is now rare.

With BBM ya just never know.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    02-22-14 05:21 PM
    Yup... and at least with Whatsapp you usually know it's down... which is now rare.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    BBM never goes down. Literally. Never.

I don't know why people are complaining that their iOS and Android contacts turn off BBM. It's rock-solid for me and my contacts on those platforms. Tell your friends to use BBM. It's better. It just is.

Inline pictures in group chats are just messy. Put me down as a vote against that "feature"
    Thesmartmale likes this.
    02-22-14 05:34 PM

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    Cause it never happens in BBM.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 05:37 PM

Posted via CB10
    Huh? I made all my friends install BBM the day it became available for ios/Android. But they STILL continue to use WhatsApp as their primary messaging app because of the reasons I mentioned.

I message them on BBM but they end up returning to WhatsApp because sharing media in group-chat is more convenient on WhatsApp. And,

Because BBM message delivery is not at par with WhatsApp right now. WhatsApp had same issues couple of years ago, but they got their act together and fixed it.

*** The purpose of this thread is to urge BlackBerry (company) to address these issues. So, I can successfully wean my friends off of WhatsApp.

John Chen mentioned he sometimes reads CB. Many BlackBerry employees also read CB. I am hoping they'd see this thread and put pressure internally on BBM management / BBM division's product manager, VP or even the CEO John Chen to fix these (and other small issues). Alec Saunders also reads and sometimes comments on CB forums.

It sounds like BBM is just giving away this market they could easily OWN. They have such small little issues that they should be fixing, prioritizing AHEAD of new features.

FIX message delivery/reliability, FIX media sharing in group chats, FIX multiperson chats and then develop all other features! Come on, BlackBerry, LISTEN to your users, your well wishers.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 05:40 PM
    One thing about BBm for Android that really irritates me is that you can only put in one emoji at one time when trying to send multiple emojis . When you go into the emoji selection menu, after picking one, it reverts to the keyboard after which if you want to send another emoji along with the first one, you would have to press the emoji button, enter the emoji selection menu and then pick another emoji. It is very cumbersome and relatively time consuming. Whatsapp allows you to enter multiple emoji at once without ever exiting the selection menu
    chrysaurora likes this.
    02-22-14 05:41 PM
    BBM never goes down. Literally. Never.

I don't know why people are complaining that their iOS and Android contacts turn off BBM. It's rock-solid for me and my contacts on those platforms. Tell your friends to use BBM. It's better. It just is.

Inline pictures in group chats are just messy. Put me down as a vote against that "feature"
    I've convinced at least 2 dozen iOS folks to try BBM.

All but 3 have given up...because it is NOT reliable.

The fact that your mileage may vary doesn't change the fact that it has been unreliable for MANY.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    02-22-14 05:44 PM
    You can't share a video from the YouTube app on Android to a BBM group, however you can share videos via the YouTube app to any group on Whatsapp.
    02-22-14 06:06 PM
    I just used BBM voice to call my girlfriend from my hotel in Paris. She lives in Toronto, Canada. She has an iPhone and I have Z10. Worked perfect and was actually clearer than a normal phone call. Free of charge too! We both used Wi-Fi.
    You can call anyone from anywhere. And no NSA spying, BBM will never be owned by Facebook.
    Beat that Whatsapp

Btw I do love the whatsapp emoticons. They're funny.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 06:12 PM
    How about you do a Crackberry site search and you'll see a number of people are having issues with bbm message delivery on non blackberry platforms. But of course if you don't know anyone with the issue then it must not exist and everyone else is delusional....
    You should take your own advice and do a Google search of whatsapp notification and delivery issues. I have mostly stopped using because of delays and reliability.

Posted via CB10
    Thesmartmale likes this.
    02-22-14 07:13 PM
    You should take your own advice and do a Google search of whatsapp notification and delivery issues. I have mostly stopped using because of delays and reliability.

Posted via CB10
    95% of the time (based on my own personal experience) whatsapp works;its not perfect but thus far, in my experience it works vastly better than BBM in its current iteration. My original response was to a poster that implied that my claims were ridiculous based on the fact that he never experienced or knew anyone that experienced issues with BBM message delivery and thus denied that they even existed.
    02-22-14 07:29 PM
    I've got a challenge for those who advocate that WhatsApp is very reliable & keep saying BBM is not reliable especially in message delivery.

The challenge is ;

"Delete your WhatsApp for 1 week without informing your friends & relatives. See what happens. Listen to their comments. "

Then.

"Delete your BBM for 1 week without informing your friends & relatives. See what happens. Listen to theirs comments. "

Or better still do both at the same time & see what happens. I've tried it & I know the results. After that you will be sure to comment differently unless you are a hardcore fanboy.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 08:11 PM
    I've got a challenge for those who advocate that WhatsApp is very reliable & keep saying BBM is not reliable especially in message delivery.

The challenge is ;

"Delete your WhatsApp for 1 week without informing your friends & relatives. See what happens. Listen to their comments. "

Then.

"Delete your BBM for 1 week without informing your friends & relatives. See what happens. Listen to theirs comments. "

Or better still do both at the same time & see what happens. I've tried it & I know the results. After that you will be sure to comment differently unless you are a hardcore fanboy.

Posted via CB10
    I don't need to do any of that.

I've had enough running conversations in real time to know, without any doubt, that Whatsapp is far more reliable than BBM.

As a huge BlackBerry fan, that sad fact doesn't make me happy...and I too lived in denial for a while...but it is an undeniable fact.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    02-22-14 11:00 PM
    I don't need to do any of that.

I've had enough running conversations in real time to know, without any doubt, that Whatsapp is far more reliable than BBM.

As a huge BlackBerry fan, that sad fact doesn't make me happy...and I too lived in denial for a while...but it is an undeniable fact.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    All the more you should do it to show how reliable WhatsApp is. Then you will know much faster which one is really more reliable.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 11:23 PM
    This is called Exaggeration...never heard of getting messages from BBM to android after a week. There is something wrong with your connection and your phone...

Posted via CB10
    Thesmartmale likes this.
    02-23-14 12:50 AM
    Huh? I made all my friends install BBM the day it became available for ios/Android. But they STILL continue to use WhatsApp as their primary messaging app because of the reasons I mentioned.

I message them on BBM but they end up returning to WhatsApp because sharing media in group-chat is more convenient on WhatsApp. And,

Because BBM message delivery is not at par with WhatsApp right now. WhatsApp had same issues couple of years ago, but they got their act together and fixed it.

*** The purpose of this thread is to urge BlackBerry (company) to address these issues. So, I can successfully wean my friends off of WhatsApp.

John Chen mentioned he sometimes reads CB. Many BlackBerry employees also read CB. I am hoping they'd see this thread and put pressure internally on BBM management / BBM division's product manager, VP or even the CEO John Chen to fix these (and other small issues). Alec Saunders also reads and sometimes comments on CB forums.

It sounds like BBM is just giving away this market they could easily OWN. They have such small little issues that they should be fixing, prioritizing AHEAD of new features.

FIX message delivery/reliability, FIX media sharing in group chats, FIX multiperson chats and then develop all other features! Come on, BlackBerry, LISTEN to your users, your well wishers.

Posted via CB10
    Why not try the new BBM because it was just updated recently with a bunch of features. If you worry about sharing a picture, you can create your own channel and invite them, so you could post your pictures and anyone can likes, comments and repost the picture in their channel . BBM has voice call, voice note and Glympse with allows you to share your location . What else do you ask for?

Posted via CB10
    02-23-14 12:57 AM
127 ... 23456