Hey guys,

Tried searching and no luck.

We have a wifi network at work that is private to our team (I.T) and two of us have 8900's and for some reason both of us cannot connnect to UMA at the sametime..

it;'s either one or the other.

is there a block of some sort that doesn't allow two phones to connect to the same wifi to use UMA? Maybe the one phone on UMA hogs it! we got all the firewall and networking stuff taken care of ..

any suggestions?
    07-08-09 11:26 AM
    You can have multiple devices connected simultaneously for UMA. Are both able to connect to WiFi at the same time? I have had 6 devices connected to my router at the same time with UMA
    07-08-09 11:29 AM
    I know I have said this several times and not that I want to beat a dead horse but the tmobile@home routers do this flawlessly. They are linksys routers and all problems for me went away with this router. I have a 8900 and my wife has a 8120. Had the same problem, bought Tmo router, problem over.
    07-08-09 11:32 AM
    Yes, Linksys products are great. I definitely recommend them.

@OP - Check the WiFi Guide and UMA Guide links in my signature. Before you do anything I suggest that you cycle the power on the router and do a battery pull on each device.
    07-08-09 11:36 AM
    07-08-09 12:27 PM
    I'd be willing to bet that both UMA's are trying to grab the same IP address. If one doesn't have time to get registered in the DHCP Lease Table before the 2nd one tries to grab an IP address, it will create a conflict and UMA will be told it can't connect because the IP is already in use.
    07-08-09 12:35 PM
    I'd be willing to bet that both UMA's are trying to grab the same IP address. If one doesn't have time to get registered in the DHCP Lease Table before the 2nd one tries to grab an IP address, it will create a conflict and UMA will be told it can't connect because the IP is already in use.
    Sorry to get off topic, but sweet avatar. I did time at Lackland AFB back in the late 80's. Yes I know we ALL go to Lackland but I was actually stationed there.
    07-08-09 12:44 PM
    Nah, the router would never supply a taken IP. The 8900 dhcp lease process is the same like any other dhcp request regardelss of the device. Also, UMA has nothing to do with this process. Either you are getting an IP or not.

I've tested and I don't have this problem on my Linksys so it has to be something else with his config. I'd look at how many IPs his router is set to lease out, confirm both devices have an IP, and do what Aristille said.
    07-08-09 12:49 PM
    Sorry to get off topic, but sweet avatar. I did time at Lackland AFB back in the late 80's. Yes I know we ALL go to Lackland but I was actually stationed there.
    I was a slow learner....I went through there for basic training, then years later I was sent there for NCO Academy, and a few years later returned for another 3 months for OTS. But, I finally figured out what I was doing wrong, and retired...

Nah, the router would never supply a taken IP. The 8900 dhcp lease process is the same like any other dhcp request regardelss of the device. Also, UMA has nothing to do with this process. Either you are getting an IP or not.
    But, it is entirely possible, and happens quite often, if both are activated at exactly the same instant that they will both do a DHCP Request at the same time, and both will likely provide the same host name "BLACKBERRY". Over the last 40 or so years of computer engineering, I've seen/troubleshot such problems....
    07-08-09 01:37 PM
    But, it is entirely possible, and happens quite often, if both are activated at exactly the same instant that they will both do a DHCP Request at the same time, and both will likely provide the same host name "BLACKBERRY". Over the last 40 or so years of computer engineering, I've seen/troubleshot such problems....
    But do you really think that both co-workers walked within range of the Wi-Fi signal at EXACTLY the same time, and then by chance the router saw both of them at exactly the same time and tried to assign the same IP likewise? I highly doubt it.

As an IT admin myself, I would set all the permanent network devices on a static IP address and only allow the portable devices to be on dynamic. That way, you will always walk within range before turning on your laptop (therefore, allowing your 8900's to obtain a dynamic IP before your laptop does). Then, you go into your router and assign some packet forwarding for the appropriate ports to the first two IP's that can be assigned via DHCP, which your 8900's will always get.

It may not help the issue, but it also may. It's what I did when I was having UMA issues and it helped.
    07-08-09 01:48 PM
    Don't doubt him Justin, hes clearly right.

I'm not gonna argue this one any further since his 40 years of IT experience is cleary monumental. I can't compete with that. He obviously understands the DHCP IP discovery, IP lease offer, IP request, and IP lease acknowledgement details as written in RFC 2131 better than all of us.

07-08-09 01:54 PM
    Let's get simpler, why not create IP reservations for MAC addresses?
    07-08-09 02:01 PM
    PS Then please excuse my measly 17 years of IT experience
    Only 32 but lots of mileage...
    07-08-09 02:03 PM
    Is this a bidding war for the most IT years of experience now... no, I'm not out bidding the 40 year mark... but I'm close.
    07-08-09 02:08 PM
    I have 60 year of IT experience..... Interesting since I am only 39... but I win none the less
    07-08-09 02:26 PM
    Our oldest IT guy at the firm looks like this after he tried in vain troubleshooting DHCP addressing.

07-08-09 03:06 PM
    Our oldest IT guy at the firm looks like this after he tried in vain troubleshooting DHCP addressing.
    That is amazingly close to what I look like, except he has more hair than me! LOL! But then, considering that when I started working on computers in 1965, they hadn't invented TCP/IP yet....it's amazing I don't look worse than I do!
    07-08-09 09:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD