Yes, I went there.

Here is my situation.

1. Verizon I have the pearl and can upgrade at any time now.

2. AT&T I have a BB.

I'm a network engineer and my dilemma is this - Rove's mobile admin is a great program, but I can't access any of our routers, etc. from the blackberry because access is blocked to specific IPs and we can't get static IPs on the AT&T blackberry.

Verizon is a personal berry, and I don't really use it for e-mail or anything but a phone. I just love the stability of it.

So, do I get a curve on Verizon and use it as my personal phone and business e-mail. At the same time getting the iphone so I can use VPN into our systems and manage servers/routers from it. Or do I keep my pearl and get another blackberry + carry around a laptop with wireless card all the time?

It's a bit inconvenient to carry around a laptop all the time, but I have been doing it for a while.

I should clarify, I refuse to use the iphone for an e-mail device. I can't stand typing on it, but it will work in a pinch to fix a router or server. The berry does e-mail better than anything out there.
    Last edited by vp911; 12-09-08 at 09:43 PM.
    12-09-08 09:40 PM
    If accessing the work server is so important to your job then yes get the Iphone for work, your personal berry for work email and there is not much difference in the pearl and curve my pastor has a curve I have a pearl and I play with my pastor's phone a lot to teach him stuff. I like both phones but I am waiting on a Bold CDMA version.
    That would just be my thought I don't care for the Iphone but work is work and I would want to my job at peak performance.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by luvitlo; 12-09-08 at 09:55 PM.
    12-09-08 09:52 PM
    If accessing the work server is so important to your job then yes get the Iphone for work and there is not much difference in the pearl and curve my pastor has a curve I have a pearl and I play with my pastor's phone a lot to teach him stuff. I like both phones but I am waiting on a Bold CDMA version.
    That would just be my thought I don't care for the Iphone but work is work and I would want to my job at peak performance.

I would not agree with this. Blackberries are designed with business-use in mind, whereas iphones are not. Your best bet for any business function is with a blackberry.

The curve and the pearl have significant differences, including full qwerty vs suretype, a larger screen and better resolution with the curve, more memoury on cdma curves vs pearls, etc.

12-09-08 09:56 PM
    Yes, I went there.

Here is my situation.

1. Verizon I have the pearl and can upgrade at any time now.

2. AT&T I have a BB.

I'm a network engineer and my dilemma is this - Rove's mobile admin is a great program, but I can't access any of our routers, etc. from the blackberry because access is blocked to specific IPs and we can't get static IPs on the AT&T blackberry.

Verizon is a personal berry, and I don't really use it for e-mail or anything but a phone. I just love the stability of it.

So, do I get a curve on Verizon and use it as my personal phone and business e-mail. At the same time getting the iphone so I can use VPN into our systems and manage servers/routers from it. Or do I keep my pearl and get another blackberry + carry around a laptop with wireless card all the time?

It's a bit inconvenient to carry around a laptop all the time, but I have been doing it for a while.

I should clarify, I refuse to use the iphone for an e-mail device. I can't stand typing on it, but it will work in a pinch to fix a router or server. The berry does e-mail better than anything out there.
    as a Network guy myself I can tell you for experience the offerings available to iPhone are much better for managing/remoting/vpn etc than what the current blackberry's offer..

I had network testing software, pinging software, a vnc client which I was able to use to remote a few boxes... on board bandwidth speed testing software password generators.. I mean you name it I had it.. I still have the iPhone but haven't wanted to carry 2 devices around..

as far as network support go's the iphone currently has blackberry's beat..

but for communication the iPhone completely suffers compared.
    12-10-08 02:26 AM
    as a Network guy myself I can tell you for experience the offerings available to iPhone are much better for managing/remoting/vpn etc than what the current blackberry's offer..

I had network testing software, pinging software, a vnc client which I was able to use to remote a few boxes... on board bandwidth speed testing software password generators.. I mean you name it I had it.. I still have the iPhone but haven't wanted to carry 2 devices around..

as far as network support go's the iphone currently has blackberry's beat..

but for communication the iPhone completely suffers compared.
    I was afraid somebody would confirm my suspicions. Rove's MobileAdmin would work perfectly for me if the blackberry supported VPN protocols. Unfortunately the BES service we use is hosted and from a third party company, so it doesn't give me access to the internal network from there either.

and I can't really justify paying Verizon $500 + $60/mo for a static IP. I carry two devices anyways, its just a matter of which two.

If you don't mind me asking, what software did you use on the iphone?
    12-10-08 09:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD