What are the differences between 1x 1X 1xEV 1XEV?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-05-08 10:12 PM
    Start here: Found these threads:

1x (or the formal 1xRTT) is defined very nicely here - 1xRTT definition (Phone Scoop)

1XEV (Verizon shorthand for 1xEVDO) is deinfed here - 1xEV-DO definition (Phone Scoop)

Hope they help.
    11-05-08 10:21 PM
    I got a question what is the ev mean (not the EV)

Last edited by thebigt; 11-06-08 at 02:29 AM.
    11-06-08 02:25 AM
    As I understand it, lower case letters indicate a connection to your carrier's network (either 1x or evdo), and upper case indicate a connection to the Blackberry network (BIS or BES). I'm sure it's more complicated than that, but that's the general idea.
    11-06-08 03:38 PM
    EVDO stands for EVolution Data Optimized. <- This is the "standard" for CDMA. This is CDMA's 3G tech.

EDGE stands for Enhanced Data rates for GSM Evolution. <- This is the "standard" for GSM world wide. It's GSM's 2G tech. GSM's 3G tech is called HSPA. High-Speed Packet Access.

Not many GSM carriers use 3G, it's not a world wide standard yet.. even in the US, AT&T and T-mobile deploy both 2G and 3G technologies.. kinda stupid if you ask me because ALL of Verizon and Sprint's handsets are 3G. =(

=)
    Last edited by sniffs; 11-06-08 at 04:26 PM.
    11-06-08 04:19 PM
    As I understand it, lower case letters indicate a connection to your carrier's network (either 1x or evdo), and upper case indicate a connection to the Blackberry network (BIS or BES). I'm sure it's more complicated than that, but that's the general idea.

1x = no data.. basic phone calls and SMS

1XEV = data..

neither have anything to do with BIS/BES or Rim's network..
    11-06-08 04:20 PM
    EVDO

Evolution Data Only according to bell mobility
    11-06-08 04:20 PM
    1x = no data
    1X = data, but not bb data, will work for tethering w/ laptop
    11-06-08 04:22 PM
    checked wikipedia
    evolution data optimized and data only is the same thing
    11-06-08 04:23 PM
    I was wondering what that was all about. I just figured it had something to do with signal and service
    11-06-08 06:22 PM
    According to the little booklet that came with my VZW Curve:
    1x or D - phone and SMS
    1X - phone, PIN, SMS, MMS, email browser
    1XEV - same as 1X but high-speed

So 1x means no data, 1X means data, and 1XEV means high-speed data!
    11-06-08 09:24 PM
    Thank you tech. That makes the most sense.

Then does 1xEV mean not as fast as 1XEV?

11-07-08 12:24 AM
    Here is the answer that seems to have not been answered fully:

1x: Connected to the cellular network on 1xRTT but not RIM's servers
    1X: Connected to the cellular network on 1xRTT as well as connected to RIM's servers
    1xEV: Connected to the cellular network on EVDO but not RIM's servers
    1XEV: Connected to the cellular network on EVDO as well as connected to RIM's servers
    11-07-08 01:14 AM
    But I can still do everything on my BB with 1xEV.

11-07-08 01:17 AM
    But I can still do everything on my BB with 1xEV.

Including receive push e-mail, use the BB browser, and other things that specifically need access to RIM's server? I'm not a CDMA user so I was just going off of RIM's standard system of connection identifiers.
    11-07-08 01:21 AM
    Yes. I bbm and get email when I have 1xEV. In fact my house just started showing 1XEV and I had no problems before. I got everything.

11-07-08 01:37 AM
    Those lowercase and capitalized x's have NOTHING to do with being connected to RIM's servers.

Case in point, I've seen it on Windows Mobile devices. It's just how the manufacturer displays the logo. There's no technological difference between 1XEV and 1xEV. It's just the maker of your phone decided to capitalize the letter vs another maker who decided to lowercase it. Has nothing to do with being on RIM's network.

The letter should actually be lowercase because it's in reference to 1xRTT, aka 1x (single-carrier) Radio Transmission Technology.

For people's reference,

1xRTT definition (Phone Scoop)

1xEV-DO definition (Phone Scoop)

Simply put, 1x only = no data, 1xEV, 1XEV or any other variant = data.
    Last edited by sniffs; 11-07-08 at 10:35 AM.
    11-07-08 10:31 AM
    Those lowercase and capitalized x's have NOTHING to do with being connected to RIM's servers.

Case in point, I've seen it on Windows Mobile devices. It's just how the manufacturer displays the logo. There's no technological difference between 1XEV and 1xEV. It's just the maker of your phone decided to capitalize the letter vs another maker who decided to lowercase it. Has nothing to do with being on RIM's network.

The letter should actually be lowercase because it's in reference to 1xRTT, aka 1x (single-carrier) Radio Transmission Technology.

For people's reference,

1xRTT definition (Phone Scoop)

1xEV-DO definition (Phone Scoop)

Simply put, 1x only = no data, 1xEV, 1XEV or any other variant = data.
    Ok. I understand what you are saying but that actually does not answer the original question at all. Yes, it is true that different manufacturers will display the logo in different ways. However, a CDMA BlackBerry will display both 1xEV and 1XEV (from my understanding only since I'm a GSM user) depending on certain conditions. So there clearly has to be a difference. Also, RIM has been known to use capital versus lowercase to differentiate between whether there's a data connection or not. On a GSM BB, gprs, edge, and 3g mean that there is no connection to RIM's network while GPRS, EDGE, and 3G mean that there is.

Here is another thread about this topic from a few months ago:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/1xev-1xev-61789/
    11-07-08 11:18 AM
    Ok. I understand what you are saying but that actually does not answer the original question at all. Yes, it is true that different manufacturers will display the logo in different ways. However, a CDMA BlackBerry will display both 1xEV and 1XEV (from my understanding only since I'm a GSM user) depending on certain conditions. So there clearly has to be a difference. Also, RIM has been known to use capital versus lowercase to differentiate between whether there's a data connection or not. On a GSM BB, gprs, edge, and 3g mean that there is no connection to RIM's network while GPRS, EDGE, and 3G mean that there is.

Here is another thread about this topic from a few months ago:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/1xev-1xev-61789/

Lowercase just means you have no data connection or no data plan. I'm the BB admin with my company, have been for years, and I'm also the carrier administrator for both Verizon and AT&T at my company..

grps, edge mean no data connection/no data plan.

lowercase anything (except the lowercase x in 1xEV) basically means no data connection to the carrier. The "BB Data" people refer to is basically just a feature on the line.. It's more likely a port block or other sort of block.. when it's added onto the line, that block is removed.

You can actually add BB Connect data to a Windows Mobile device's "PDA data" plan for the "Blackberry Connect" feature.. adding or removing it doesn't make your signal indicator lowercase or upper case.. When it's added, the block is removed.
    11-07-08 12:03 PM
    Lowercase just means you have no data connection or no data plan. I'm the BB admin with my company, have been for years, and I'm also the carrier administrator for both Verizon and AT&T at my company..

grps, edge mean no data connection/no data plan.

lowercase anything (except the lowercase x in 1xEV) basically means no data connection to the carrier. The "BB Data" people refer to is basically just a feature on the line.. It's more likely a port block or other sort of block.. when it's added onto the line, that block is removed.

You can actually add BB Connect data to a Windows Mobile device's "PDA data" plan for the "Blackberry Connect" feature.. adding or removing it doesn't make your signal indicator lowercase or upper case.. When it's added, the block is removed.
    Oh trust me. I already knew and understand every word of what you just said (I too have plenty of experience in BB system management but on the carrier side) so I could go on for days regarding info on it. However, since my info is limited to GSM, I just assumed that 1xEV would mean no data connection while 1XEV means it is connected based on RIM's typical logic of capital vs lowercase. But thank you for the clarification. But I think we can both agree that outside of 1xEV/1XEV, capital vs lowercase makes a big difference
    11-07-08 12:08 PM
    The GSM way is so much easier to understand what's what.
    01-19-10 08:54 AM
    1xev (lowercase) means that your device can detect an EVDO (3G) signal, but can't necessarily connect.

Maybe your device is running on 2G, even though it can detect a 3G signal. Btw, see my post, and best of luck.

02-12-10 01:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD