(Verizon Customer)- Looking to get either the Curve 8330 or the Storm.

Can you give me the actual pros and cons of each for comparison purposes.

I know one has the touch screen, and one has the keys and the trackball, but can you give me specific functions that one is better for, not so good for, etc.

Thanks all!
    01-17-09 10:27 AM
    You sure picked the right place for that question, plenty of Curve and Storm users on board.

I have not used a Storm yet, so I will champion the Pearl/Curve/'88/Bold side of the discussion.

The single difference is the presence of a keyboard and the lack of a touch screen. Other then that, the internal workings are very similar.

The Storm is a later generation BlackBerry. That means the faster processor and increased memory, much like the Bold.

The accelerometer is unique, only the Storm can do this:

http://crackberry.com/storm-level-pr...-accelerometer

Last edited by Reed McLay; 01-17-09 at 11:54 AM.
    01-17-09 10:34 AM
    It really depends on your needs.

Nobody knows what the real numbers are, but everyone seems to agree you have about a 10% chance of getting a Storm that will have a flaw so critical to your use that you will exchange it.

That said, you can and will type faster on a curve. Don't believe anyone who says different. You cannot roll to another key while typing on a surepress screen like you can on a dedicated keyboard. It's not a big difference, but it exists.

Some people have link/key selection issues with the Storm, some don't.

The Storm has yet to support many apps, and the apps it does support seem to be huge memory leakers... sometimes and sometimes not. You are going to get a lot of varying reports.

Battery life has been an issue for many with the Storm too.

I guess what it seems to come down to is, if you are a heavy email user or a heavy user period and can't charge frequently... the Storm may (or may not) present some issues for you.

Your best bet is to try the Storm for 30 days and make your own assessment. If you end up returning it for a curve, you will already have some idea of the BB OS and can satisfy yourself that you gave the big dumb blonde (The Storm) a fair shake...
    01-17-09 10:36 AM
    another thing to consider:

-Storm is a Global phone
    -Curve is not

not sure if this matters to you but it is a major difference.

You can go onto Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, Cell Phone Accessories - Verizon Wireless and click on those two phones, hit compare and it will generate a side by side for you!
    Last edited by chrisy520; 01-17-09 at 10:44 AM.
    01-17-09 10:37 AM
    All great points and I agree it depends on your needs. I have been riding the fence on the storm since it launched. I love my curve and have had it for a while, I use it numerous hours a day for school, work, etc.
    01-17-09 10:45 AM
    It really depends on your needs.

Nobody knows what the real numbers are, but everyone seems to agree you have about a 10% chance of getting a Storm that will have a flaw so critical to your use that you will exchange it.

That said, you can and will type faster on a curve. Don't believe anyone who says different. You cannot roll to another key while typing on a surepress screen like you can on a dedicated keyboard. It's not a big difference, but it exists.

Some people have link/key selection issues with the Storm, some don't.

The Storm has yet to support many apps, and the apps it does support seem to be huge memory leakers... sometimes and sometimes not. You are going to get a lot of varying reports.

Battery life has been an issue for many with the Storm too.

I guess what it seems to come down to is, if you are a heavy email user or a heavy user period and can't charge frequently... the Storm may (or may not) present some issues for you.

Your best bet is to try the Storm for 30 days and make your own assessment. If you end up returning it for a curve, you will already have some idea of the BB OS and can satisfy yourself that you gave the big dumb blonde (The Storm) a fair shake...

The Storm is the 1st gen of it's kind, it's gonna have issues. Since the upgrades battery life has increased dramatically, Apps won't leak memory if you read up on them before you download...there is almost always an alternative app that will work much better than the leaking one.

As far as typing goes...you WILL learn to type just as fast on the Storm as you would on the dedicated Curve. I type faster on my Storm than my dad does on his Curve (3+ years with BB).

Ultimately you are sacrificing a trackball on the Curve with a smaller screen for a larger screen with a 100% touch interface. It's all up to you and what you want to do with it
    01-17-09 11:10 AM
    Thanks all for your help.
    01-18-09 09:08 AM
    There are a few points to keep in mind. First off, the touchscreen. This is a deal-breaker: if you can't deal with the touchscreen, you can't get a a Storm. The touchscreen is somewhat more intuitive, perhaps easier to use, much better for web browsing, but makes typing a bit more difficult. If you're OK with using a touchscreen, consider whether or not you need a physical QWERTY keyboard: it allows you to type messages faster, search for contacts from the address book (or home screen), songs in the music player, etc. It's also usable one-handed; if you get a Storm and you want to type one-handed, you'll have to use SureType (this may not matter to you, but it was a major reason I decided to stick with my Curve).

If you like the touch screen and don't need a physical QWERTY keyboard, you should probably get the Storm. It's a bit buggier (by virtue of being a radically new, 1st gen device) but RIM is very good with firmware updates. The browsing experience is near-iPhone quality, the camera's better (3 MP on the Storm vs 2 MP on the Curve), and the media-playing capabilities are much better as well. The Curve can still do media, though; don't feel that if you want to listen to music and watch movies, you need the Storm; the Curve is capable; it's just not as nice an experience. The Storm also has more memory, an accelerometer, and the promise of an "App Store" being released later. If you're into gaming, the Storm is probably a better choice.

I personally chose to get a Curve, because I didn't care too much for the touch screen, abhor SureType but frequently need one-handed typing, loved the speed of my Curve (the storm was LAGGY when it first came out), and loved always having the physical keyboard around (especially for shortcuts and quick, easy searches). I liked the media and web browsing capabilities of the Storm, but ultimately decided they didn't outweigh the advantages of my Curve, since I primarily needed a good phone/text/e-mail device. That said, I never use my ipod nano since I have all my music on my Curve.

So I hope you carefully consider what you'll use the phone for (not just the specs) and come to a good decision. the Storm is a GREAT phone, but it's just not for me. Maybe it will be the right phone for you, maybe it won't. Definitely go to the VZW store and try out the Storm and Curve. And remember, you have 30 days to return it and just pay a restocking fee. Good luck!
    01-18-09 02:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD