Blackberry can't compete within the consumer market, that's what got them in trouble in the first place. Kids gotta have their toys, and that what their parents get them, toys. Hopefully once these kids get older and more serious about their own personal info, credit card #'s, etc...They will see the benefit in a blackberry.
    If you give them a blackberry, z10, q10, what have you, tell them "Make it work. Sorry but if you want an android or iPhone, go ahead and buy it." Tell them to have threir friends dl BBM, or install Android apps that will help them communicate cross platform. They'll figure it out.
    Gotta stop the comparsion between Blackberry and all others and show the capabilities of the devices everyday. People will then start talking about how their devices can't do what blackberry does.
    03-05-14 10:03 AM
    Wow, when I was 15 (only 9 years ago) I remember begging my parents just to get a flip phone. And when I finally did a year later, the idea of being dissatisfied with it and asking for another one would've made me the family laughing stock. Times are changing fast!

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 10:23 AM
    Wow, when I was 15 (only 9 years ago) I remember begging my parents just to get a flip phone. And when I finally did a year later, the idea of being dissatisfied with it and asking for another one would've made me the family laughing stock. Times are changing fast!

Posted via CB10
    She wasn't asking for a new phone, I just asked her what she preferred after having used a Z10 for a couple months. Believe it or not she had an iPhone 3 before this and dropped it in the toilet.

Most young teens have an iPod Touch if they don't have a smartphone. My 10 year-old nephew has a Touch, it's crazy. I think the main reason parents get there kids cell phones is to keep tabs on them and know where they are. Actually if more parents knew about Glympse, they would probably make their kids use BBM so they can make them share their location.

Zed30
    kbill1984 likes this.
    03-05-14 10:36 AM
    I will take that z10 for 100$ lol

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 10:37 AM
    How many dumb phone can you put location tracking on. Teachers and schools now have it that you can do and get your home work assignments online.
    Not sure about the tracking thing. If that's why parents get the phones for their kids, then I guess that's their expense. And, based on that reason alone you should probably give your kid a smart phone when they go to kindergarten when they are the most vulnerable.

As far as the "do and get your home work assignments online"....can't you do that while your actually in the class or school? And, don't kids have access to the internet at home in case they miss their assignments?
    03-05-14 10:43 AM
    She wasn't asking for a new phone, I just asked her what she preferred after having used a Z10 for a couple months. Believe it or not she had an iPhone 3 before this and dropped it in the toilet.

Zed30
    I'm glad you cleared that up. Most people were assuming that she was being ungreatful. It's also good to see that she's used both and based her decision on that. And shouldn't Z10 owners be happy that she likes iPhone cases more rather than talking about missing apps and features?
    03-05-14 11:00 AM
    Gave my 10 year son my z10 when I upgraded to a Z30, including a brand new Incipio dual pro for him for protection. He loves it. He is our BlackBerry future..might as well start him young.

Posted Via my Kick @ss BlackBerry Z30
    kbill1984 likes this.
    03-05-14 11:06 AM
    As far as the "do and get your home work assignments online"....can't you do that while your actually in the class or school? And, don't kids have access to the internet at home in case they miss their assignments?
    If kids can have smartphones and still be responsible, then is it really a problem that they have cell phones? They aren't negatively impacting grades. They end up being a different way to pass notes around. I don't see why people think it's so bad for teenagers to own smartphones. Is it bad for them to own laptops or tablets too? When I was in high school we didn't have assignments online nor did we have time to do our homework in class. This started as "I asked my niece which platform she preferred and she said iOS because of the case selection" and became "let's bash the ungrateful younger generation because we didn't have smartphones when we were in school."
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    03-05-14 11:08 AM
    Like for real? I mean OMG. . the iPhoneee? Has like. . tots cooler cases? So. . .like I want one???

Bling Luxury New Design Crystal Leather Cell Phone Hard Case Wallet Flip Cover | eBay
    03-05-14 11:15 AM
    Like for real? I mean OMG. . the iPhoneee? Has like. . tots cooler cases? So. . .like I want one???

Bling Luxury New Design Crystal Leather Cell Phone Hard Case Wallet Flip Cover | eBay
    I don't think many kids that age have a credit card or PayPal to buy from eBay and Amazon. They go to the mall to get cases. I wouldn't think most are accustomed to buying products online yet.

Zed30
    kbill1984 likes this.
    03-05-14 11:40 AM
    My kids no longer have Text Books... All of the books are on their ipad. The school issues them (I pay) and they have all the books, assignments, notices and all communication done on the Ipad.

The school is going virtually paperless.. It is amazing to see and watch the kids operate there Ipads and Iphones....Every kid has an iphone, Ipad, MacBook... It is the tools of their trade...

It is a private school... so they are very free with my money....
    03-05-14 12:14 PM
    Blackberrys are very masculine.
    03-05-14 12:33 PM
    Typically teenie bopper. My wife had a iPhone for a while a few years ago and had nothing but issues with it. Plus at that time the only way to update it was by hooking it up to computer, I think that's changed by now. I would really only own one if it was a last resort. I have an iPod touch and the battery life is horrible. My Z10 with minimal to light use lasts over a day. I checked it yesterday around 2:18pm and it was about 90% battery, I had unplugged it about 7:50am. Not too bad! I just think the younger generation could care less about security and other cool features a BB 10 phone has. I will never go back to an Android, those were nothing but nightmares for me.
    03-05-14 12:44 PM
    I have an adult friend in her 40's that wanted an iPhone because it has cute cases. This isn't just a factor for younger people.
    03-05-14 12:56 PM
    Not everyone is going to want a BlackBerry, or an iPhone or...fill in the blank. Honestly, why can't we be okay with that? We don't all drive the same brand of car, or eat the same food, or go to the same college, so why do some people think that unless you have a BlackBerry you're an "iSheep", or unless you have an iPhone you're out of touch etc.? I have a Q10 and an iPhone 5 and like them both for different reasons and uses. My family all have iPhones, and they like them and are happy with them for what they are. There are times they wish they had BlackBerries again, but their usage patterns clearly put them in the "iPhone makes more sense for them" category. They use BBM, so we get along just fine. Different doesn't necessarily mean wrong, a lot of times...it just means different.
    As a grown adult, I would say you should rethink the validity of generalizing to an entire age population based on your sample of one. I am sure there are many others who are primarily driven by cool cases - undoubtedly there are many, many more, who are driven primarily by other reasons eg. the freezing apps (which she even mentioned), and numerous other reasons. I am willing to bet that the teenage population has said no to BB, for reasons as diverse as the adult population has.

It is much simpler, and much more self-gratifying to blame it all on a superficial reason though.

Additional note: All this time....and still we see the irrational-on-so-many levels "tools not toys" rearing it's ugly head in thread after thread.
    Last edited by richardat; 03-05-14 at 01:16 PM.
    03-05-14 12:58 PM
    Not sure about the tracking thing. If that's why parents get the phones for their kids, then I guess that's their expense. And, based on that reason alone you should probably give your kid a smart phone when they go to kindergarten when they are the most vulnerable.

You totally missed my point, that's just one of the things that smartphones do that dumpphone do not.

Mine chose to use their time wisely during free peroid.
    Mine are also not allowed to take their iPads to school.

Yes, my kids even at 4 and 5 had the phone where it was only buttons with symbols for Home Mom Dad Fire and Ambulance.

Maybe it's my own paranoia being an ex-cop and all, I know first had of the sickos in society. I prefer to at least have a fighting chance. It's that whole better safe than sorry thing.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 01:05 PM
    I'm sorry but as a 19yr old, if she isn't struggling with the phone itself in terms of productivity, there's no reason for her to get a new phone. Sounds egotistical, but I work and school, and I don't even have a a phone plan. I use pay2go. Because my parents make me pay for my phone... point being when you have to work for things you want, things like case color goes out the Window.. you buy what you can afford or what you NEED. I wouldn't have a z10 If it was as costly as iphones anyways but I'm glad I bought one last November.

Parents might wanna start doing that again (not directed at the OP).

Posted via CB10
    Exactly. If they have to work for it, the important stuff comes to the forefront. Amazing!

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 01:13 PM
    Blackberrys are very masculine.
    The epitome of macho right here. Move over, Rambo.

03-05-14 01:17 PM
    What you're saying is that your decision making, like that of your two daughters, is driven by how other people will perceive you.
    I love my Blackberry, but if BlackBerry went away.. I would have another phone that would be just fine...Phones for me are fun.. It's almost a hobby..... My favorite phone of all time is .... the NEXT one!!!....

The difference between Blackberry, Android, Iphone, Windows phones ..... is preference...They all do virtually the same thing but in slightly different ways....It is Ford vs Chevy.... Is one better than the other????? Not really... It is user preference....
    03-05-14 01:22 PM

She seems to be very popular and I was hoping just maybe she would really like the phone and promote it a bit (just trying to do my part).

Zed30
    It disturbs me that an adult wants to use a 15-year-old girl to promote a consumer product, especially if the 15-year-old is not compensated as a spokesperson. Adults shouldn't use children to get their agendas accomplished in this way.
    donnation and Berry_Pink like this.
    03-05-14 01:24 PM
    Cool cases are actually a big selling point for women. I know a few that preferred iphone just for that.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5061193) likes this.
    03-05-14 01:28 PM
    I find it odd that people talk about Apple on this forum as if they are the only competing product in the market. Android still is going strong, and Windows Phone is doing a lot better than BB10 currently is.

If someone wants NFC and BT File Transfers, they are not limited to a BB10 device for getting that done, just because an iPhone doesn't do it. Additionally, if all their friends use iPhones, then AirDrop is going to work just fine and IIRC Passbook works just fine for their Starbucks Card or Fandango Movie Tickets...

Yes, this is a Blackberry forum and that is duly noted, but I think a clearer perspective on the market and what choices exist out there for these people would do a lot to help frame the backbone of these discussions. The "almost obsession" with pitting Blackberry against Apple is what let a lot of posters here dumbfounded when people started linking articles about Windows Phone growth in major European markets, etc. They were so busy arguing about NFC, BT File Transfer, and Email Attachments that they'd grown out of touch with what was going on in the grand scheme of things. I think to an extent this happened to Blackberry as a company, as well.

Once the iPhone started doing well they kept thinking they could harp on its alleged shortfalls to score sales, while Android was offering a solution that was just as flexible without those perceived issues at lower price points - and that's who ended up taking practically all of their marketshare.
    richardat likes this.
    03-05-14 01:35 PM
    It disturbs me that an adult wants to use a 15-year-old girl to promote a consumer product, especially if the 15-year-old is not compensated as a spokesperson. Adults shouldn't use children to get their agendas accomplished in this way.
    ITA.
    03-05-14 01:38 PM
    I find it funny (and a little sad) to see people get so upset about a cell-phone. Do you get this upset about your sneakers??? If I am wearing Nike and you are wearing Adidas.. do you get your panties all up in a bunch????

Why the devotion to a cell-phone company?? Does you self-worth hinge on on the type of communncation device you are holding in your hand?

No offense to the guy whose teenage daughter is so enamored with NFC and the removeable battery of her cell phone....But.I think that is the Father stating his opinion of the phone and his daughter echoing it...
    03-05-14 01:38 PM
    4 years back bbry had the youth market nailed with BBM. Kids then began getting into social media and touch screens. The trend was obvious to all... Apart from BlackBerry...
    AMEN!!!
    anon(5061193) likes this.
    03-05-14 01:39 PM
210 12345 ...