AMEN!!!
    Blackberry was late to the dance and has to pick-up the ugly fat girl to dance with.......Everyone has moved on....
    03-05-14 01:46 PM
    It disturbs me that an adult wants to use a 15-year-old girl to promote a consumer product, especially if the 15-year-old is not compensated as a spokesperson. Adults shouldn't use children to get their agendas accomplished in this way.
    Lol, well it's not like I told her to go out and promote it. Just having the phone promotes it, her friends get to see it and maybe she gets some of them to jump on BBM.

Word of mouth is the best way to promote most products IMO. Apple, Samsung, Sony all use the young to promote their products, they're stupid if they don't. Perfect example is BlackBerry.

Zed30
    03-05-14 01:54 PM
    Teens mostly want to fit it. They don't care about having what is best for them or what could set them apart. If they are different, they might might get made fun of. I mean, I had my Q10 on the table during a meeting at work, and someone literally pointed at it and asked "what is that?". I simply laughed at them and told them what it was and they didn't even know what I was talking about. It's ok for me to be different since I'm older, as I picked a phone that is best for me. And for teens, the best phone for them is usually something where they can take plenty of pictures, make look cool and use social media.

But that reason of "cooler" cases is a first one for me.
    anon(5061193) likes this.
    03-05-14 01:55 PM
    Lol, well it's not like I told her to go out and promote it. Just having the phone promotes it, her friends get to see it and maybe she gets some of them to jump on BBM.

Word of mouth is the best way to promote most products IMO. Apple, Samsung, Sony all use the young to promote their products, they're stupid if they don't. Perfect example is BlackBerry.

Zed30
    And that works for them because people actually want their products. People tend to promote things they enjoy owning or using.

If they don't like it, then they just end up telling their friends "I wish I had an iPhone/Galaxy S," which has the complete opposite effect of enforcing and validating the buying decisions of Apple and Samsung customers.

Good people convinces people they're missing out. What you're doing is a complete 180 from that. You're actually hurting by trying to help in the completely incorrect way.
    Now if her friends parent suggest a Blackberry, the response may be "so and so has one and doesn't like it. She wants an iPhone too. "

What you say isn't what the other poster objected to. It was your intent or agenda. You seem more interested in pushing a brand than accepting that what you prefer isn't what she wants. I don't expect you to go out and buy a new iPhone for the child. That would be ridiculous, however at Christmas time in the same situation I'd have given the child a white iPhone 5C and moved on, if affordable at that time.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk
    21stNow likes this.
    03-05-14 02:01 PM
    Smartphones to most people are toys. Sadly I had to walk out of Verizon once because some late 40s woman was busy trying to pick out a case, wasting the only salesperson's time.

I sad something on the way out that she hopefully heard. Something like 15 minutes to pick out a -;*$?# cover?

Posted via CB10
    It's a waste of money to buy accessories in a carrier store anyways. Most things can be gotten on ebay or Amazon for a fraction of the price the carriers are selling for.

Flip Cover for $50 only to get a code from Samsung for $50 off one when you register your phone with them, Lol. I only buy cheap screen protectors in carrier stores, so I can make them apply it for me 😂

03-05-14 02:03 PM
    To be fair all she really wants is what BBRY already has - a white phone. It's just that you gave her your old black one and thus there is the perceived BBRY image problem. Look on Kijiiji or eBay for a used white Z10 or Z30 and then sell her Z10 leaving you with a small net cash loss.
    03-05-14 02:20 PM
    This was also my niece's reason for switching from BlackBerry to iPhone after she drowned her Torch at an outdoor concert.

She got her 4s a month before the 5 came out. I told her she shouldn't do it, she should wait for the 5. She wouldn't listen cause teenagers know all.

Anyway, after going for the 4s cause it "has lots of cases" she now hates her iPhone.

"Why?" I ask,

"Because all the cool cases are only for the 5s!" she replies.

No other reason. At all. I know all teens aren't the same, but there are a lot that are like my niece. It's not really a phone in the end, it's the cool, must have accessory and right now, it totally sucks because it doesn't match her purse. OMG the horror!

Nothing you can do about it but move on to issues more important.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5061193) and decoy7 like this.
    03-05-14 02:24 PM
    Wait.

You fed her braindead, spoiled & ridiculous "preference" (read - demand) by BUYING her a white case?

Way to lead by example, bro. Real awesome.

I guess when she whines and stamps in two years about driving an "ugly" nice car you'll snag her up a Porsche to teach her a lesson.
    Lol, easy bud, She's going to pay it, I just ordered it for her.

Zed30
    03-05-14 04:11 PM
    This is the exact reason why many products that make no sense are popular.
    This is what is ruining the North American economy. This doesn't mean products are good or bad just that certain people get or need to get or want a product just because someone else has it. Look at all the shopping malls, 90% filled with brand name clothing all made in sweat shops over seas. It has a name brand so it will sell for 80% higher cost even though it is the same quality and made in the same offshore factories, the only difference being which label is sewn on.

Posted via CB10
    So the problem with the economy is that people are spending money? Alrighty.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 04:21 PM
    I don't think anyone under 16 would want a BlackBerry. They really aren't toys. The OS is made for getting things done and it does that very well.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 04:21 PM
    I love my Blackberry, but if BlackBerry went away.. I would have another phone that would be just fine...Phones for me are fun.. It's almost a hobby..... My favorite phone of all time is .... the NEXT one!!!....

The difference between Blackberry, Android, Iphone, Windows phones ..... is preference...They all do virtually the same thing but in slightly different ways....It is Ford vs Chevy.... Is one better than the other????? Not really... It is user preference....
    We definitely agree there. I'm always looking forward to trying the latest and greatest.
    03-05-14 04:23 PM
    The bigger question is why are people debating in here over what a 15 year old girl wants or needs or why she wants it. Who cares? If you as her parent can sell her Z10 and buy her an iPhone then what does it matter? Is it really that desperate in here that parents are trying to keep their kids from using any other phone than a blackberry? As a parent myself I could give a rats *** what phone my kids will use when they get old enough to have one. I think being a good parent is more important than forcing a non-important brand (whatever the brand is) of phone on a child is.
    03-05-14 04:30 PM
    And that works for them because people actually want their products. People tend to promote things they enjoy owning or using.

If they don't like it, then they just end up telling their friends "I wish I had an iPhone/Galaxy S," which has the complete opposite effect of enforcing and validating the buying decisions of Apple and Samsung customers.

Good people convinces people they're missing out. What you're doing is a complete 180 from that. You're actually hurting by trying to help in the completely incorrect way.
    Now if her friends parent suggest a Blackberry, the response may be "so and so has one and doesn't like it. She wants an iPhone too. "

What you say isn't what the other poster objected to. It was your intent or agenda. You seem more interested in pushing a brand than accepting that what you prefer isn't what she wants. I don't expect you to go out and buy a new iPhone for the child. That would be ridiculous, however at Christmas time in the same situation I'd have given the child a white iPhone 5C and moved on, if affordable at that time.

Ugh, your taking it out of context. I bought myself a Z30 for xmas. My brother was going to get her a phone for xmas, but she's not responsible enough to be on contract, and buying a $600 iPhone was out of the question. I offered to go in with him for a phone and said why don't we give her my old Z10. He gave me $100 and that's what she got, a mid-high end used smartphone. It seemed better than getting her a $150 Android.

So it doesn't really matter what kind of phone she wanted, she gets what is affordable. Also I had know idea how much she was going to like it and if she would talk good or bad about it. Who cares really, it's in her hands, many of her friends are going see it and actually realize there IS a touchscreen BlackBerry out there. I think you seem to forget that pretty much nobody even knows about BlackBerry's new phones or the OS.

I guess I'm pushing the BlackBerry brand a bit, I don't see a problem with that. Maybe you would rather me just throw the Z10 in the drawer with my curve instead.

Zed30
    03-05-14 04:36 PM
    Ugh, your taking it out of context. I bought myself a Z30 for xmas. My brother was going to get her a phone for xmas, but she's not responsible enough to be on contract, and buying a $600 iPhone was out of the question. I offered to go in with him for a phone and said why don't we give her my old Z10. He gave me $100 and that's what she got, a mid-high end used smartphone. It seemed better than getting her a $150 Android.

So it doesn't really matter what kind of phone she wanted, she gets what is affordable. Also I had know idea how much she was going to like it and if she would talk good or bad about it. Who cares really, it's in her hands, many of her friends are going see it and actually realize there IS a touchscreen BlackBerry out there. I think you seem to forget that pretty much nobody even knows about BlackBerry's new phones or the OS.

I guess I'm pushing the BlackBerry brand a bit, I don't see a problem with that. Maybe you would rather me just throw the Z10 in the drawer with my curve instead.

Zed30
    I understand that the device was a hand me down. However you stated a different agenda for giving it to her in the post the other poster objected to.

03-05-14 04:44 PM
    BlackBerry has never been a trendy product for young people it was built for business. That being said it is very cool if you like black or white.
    03-05-14 04:45 PM
    I understand that the device was a hand me down. However you stated a different agenda for giving it to her in the post the other poster objected to.

Fair enough, I hope I cleared things up. This thread kinda sidetracked a bit.

It was supposed to be more about, why she likes the iPhone, what can BlackBerry do to enter the 15-20 age market. IMO the most important market is the 15-20. That's when people start in invest in an Ecosystem.

Zed30
    03-05-14 04:53 PM
    I've posted about this before but here it is again: Please, please BlackBerry, let us take TimeShift photos and turn them into motion GIFs. I take TS pics and people (especially young people) love it when I slide the time shift back and forth. Problem is, I can't save those.
    Simple but very bright idea.
    03-05-14 04:54 PM
    She's 15, and iPhone is the 'Barbie' of phones, it has everything someone can think of to accessorize it.

I have a policy with my kids, if you can pay for the phone you want, you have a choice. My kids have paid their cell bills since they first got them. To date, there have been no complaints I've had to listen to about longing for a phone they don't have.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    03-05-14 04:55 PM
    She's 15, and iPhone is the 'Barbie' of phones, it has everything someone can think of to accessorize it.

I have a policy with my kids, if you can pay for the phone you want, you have a choice. My kids have paid their cell bills since they first got them. To date, there have been no complaints I've had to listen to about longing for a phone they don't have.
    Kudos to you for making your children responsible young adults.

Posted via CB10
    BergerKing likes this.
    03-05-14 05:02 PM
    I this comment on a story earlier, but I decided to post in the forums because I really don't know how to process this and I guess BlackBerry doesn't either. It really has me shaking my head tonight. Anyway

I gave my 15 year old niece my old Z10 for xmas with 10.2.1, Snap and amazon installed. Plus a few other popular Android apps. Well she's had the phone for a few months and she says it's decent.
    Today I sent her a BBM asking if she would rather have an iPhone instead of the Z10.

She said "yaa". I asked is there any particular reason why?

She said (wait for it) "It has cool cases".

I said "are you serious or just joking, that's why you want an iPhone, because it has cooler cases?"

She said "No joke, I want a white phone"

I said " So it's just a style thing, has nothing really to do when OS and apps"

She said " Well some of my apps freeze a lot (Android apps) , but ya pretty much I just want a white phone.

I said "SMH, and I'll pick you up a white case if I see one"

.....I just ordered her a white case-mate off Amazon.

Is BlackBerry out of touch with its young user base, (if there is one)? I'm finally understanding why so many people like iPhones. It's all about style.

Zed30
    Why are you obsessed with the type of phone your neice carries? So, let me get this straight, you gave her a USED phone for a Christmas present? That is bad enough...Nothing like getting hand-me down technology for a gift...Now she is not happy with it and you offer a white case? Why is controlling your neice's phone choices so important to you? I think that is really the question.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 05:13 PM
    I feel I have a worthwhile opinion to add as an eighteen year old BlackBerry user. I've had a BlackBerry for several years now. I got one in high school because I wanted to be productive. Back then I remember my friends had some laughs about my "interesting" choice in phones, but I think the tables slowly turned every time their phones broken and mine did not. Every time I could do anything twice as fast, be it looking up a phone number or updating my schedule, the laughing died down. I'm not really here to promote one phone over the other, but I do think there is a lot of bad social imagery associated with BlackBerries as well as a lack of information. I have met people who are surprised to see a touchscreen BlackBerry that came out several years ago, or worse - I met someone who was surprised my BlackBerry has a web browser (facepalm). The image of RIM has been built up so poorly for these children who only want to jump onto the next fad phone that they do not really care about how their phone works. I almost want to say it really is just an accessory more than anything else.

I am subject to the same social pressure - it is crazy to see how much people are willing to be blinded by style and more importantly, blinded by social values of style. However, I find my phone very appealing to look at. I like how the keyboard fades to black, then the screen, front buttons, and finally the track pad follow suit. And the multicolour LED is a huge benefit because I can set things up so I know who is calling/messaging me without unlocking my phone (just by looking at the colour). I recognize many people my age do not pay any attention to these factors. So when you consider the social pressure young people impose on each other and the fact that we are raising our children to be self-centred and obsessed with the "latest and greatest" (I was raised rather differently, fortunately), it is no surprise that most people my age will dislike a phone based simply on social prejudice.
    03-05-14 05:28 PM
    i dont get why a lot of people are calling out OPs niece as a spoilt brat who is demanding :l it doesnt read that way, she said she wanted an iphone prior to being given a z10 for christmas (fair enough it was a hand me down because the iphones too pricey) but then OP stated it was also for "product awareness/promotion" amongst her friends as shes popular ignoring his nieces preferences so that he can get his brand of choice a bit of recognition. that will only cause her to say to her friends i wish my phone did that (facetime etc etc iphone to iphone stuff) which wont help the brand at all.

OP then ASKED HER "do you want an iphone" which is obviously going to be a yes if she said she did before having the z10, she probably thought he was offering to get her one (why would OP suddenly ask all of a sudden when he knows the answer) and scrambled to think of reasons why (fair enough they are silly reasons, i think she was just trying to get across that if he did get an iphone it was the white one she wanted not that she just wanted a white phone in general but she did have a huge legit reason too, id be annoyed if my apps frequently froze and there was nothing i could do to fix them as theyre sideloaded and i have to wait till a new apk gets replaced with the old one). she wasnt demanding one or complaining to him and being ungrateful, she said the current phone was decent i just think everyone blew her responses out of proportion - if she had been given an iphone then asked if she wanted a z10 instead and she had said yes she would have been congratulated here and called a level headed kid for thinking for herself :l
    21stNow and bbq10l like this.
    03-05-14 05:29 PM
    Why are you obsessed with the type of phone your neice carries? So, let me get this straight, you gave her a USED phone for a Christmas present? That is bad enough...Nothing like getting hand-me down technology for a gift...Now she is not happy with it and you offer a white case? Why is controlling your neice's phone choices so important to you? I think that is really the question.

Posted via CB10
    Obsessed? You are so off base it's not even funny. Read my last couple posts.

Maybe not what you you want, but I would rather get a 7 month old perfect conditioned $650 smartphone with Ghost Armor and a extra battery instead of a $150 Android for xmas.

I'm not controlling her choices, she doesn't have any choices. iPhone was out of the question as its too expensive. She wanted a phone for xmas and it was either a Z10 or cheap Android.

FYI she's paying me for the case and she is happy with her phone. I just asked for her opinion and she said she prefers the iPhone.

Zed30
    03-05-14 05:32 PM
    Obsessed? You are so off base it's not even funny. Read my last couple posts.

Maybe not what you you want, but I would rather get a 7 month old perfect conditioned $650 smartphone with Ghost Armor and a extra battery instead of a $150 Android for xmas.

I'm not controlling her choices, she doesn't have any choices. iPhone was out of the question as its too expensive. She wanted a phone for xmas and it was either a Z10 or cheap Android.

FYI she's paying me for the case and she is happy with her phone. I just asked for her opinion and she said she prefers the iPhone.

Zed30
    I don't believe you couldn't find a iphone for less than $650. You were honest when you said it was for brand awareness. Nothing like forcing grown up "men" preferences on a little girl. Now she gets to talk about and demonstrate to her friends the phone's shortcomings rather than moving on with an iphone and forgetting all about it. I'll bet if she ever gets rid of that thing, she'll never buy another. So much for brand awareness.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 05:41 PM
    Fair enough, I hope I cleared things up. This thread kinda sidetracked a bit.

It was supposed to be more about, why she likes the iPhone, what can BlackBerry do to enter the 15-20 age market. IMO the most important market is the 15-20. That's when people start in invest in an Ecosystem.

Zed30
    BlackBerry cannot compete in this market. They just announced that their focus is on enterprise and business users- not 15 year old kids. Why would you even expect competition in this market after what they have said?

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 05:44 PM
210 ... 23456 ...