Why should she even need a high end smartphone..?

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 07:32 AM
    You should disown her for saying "yaa".

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 07:36 AM
    Blackberry is out of touch with everything except efficiency and productivity. I spoke to some foriegn friends my age 30 something - I showed them my BlackBerry and they said We dindn't know they went down that road - Is that a BlackBerry. Furthermore in some countrys BIS is only awailable for corporate use. thus when people think of Blackberry they think of work being forced upon them - Not the best way to enter the consumer market.

The problem with BlackBerry is that they actually think like the OP that if they could just get this 14 year old girl they would be safed. It would be huge and they would be safed, but they fail to see that the whole brand have been dameaged in all segments. If their only problem was this 14 year old girl they would still be safed due to other segmants choocing team BB for productivity. They fail to see that they have been damaged and any average guy/gal of any segment have zero faith in BB
    03-05-14 07:39 AM
    Got my 15 year old son a Z10 because he wanted out from Apple's grip and hated the fact he had to use iTunes to manage his music.
    Not all youth are sheep and I never prompted him towards BlackBerry, the initial taunting from peers lasted like half a second until they saw what his Z10 could do over a iPhone or Samsung. And having Snap on his Z10 shut them up even faster about the 'App Gap'.

Z10 10.2.1.1925 via CB10
    dannycabrera and Morty2264 like this.
    03-05-14 07:40 AM
    Why do you even care what she wants? If she wants an iPhone she can get one with her own money, it's that easy.

Posted via CB10
    yeah and if she had an iPhone and wanted a bby you'd say that her dad should but it for her immediately and set it up for her right away, but since it's an iPhone "who cares what she wants!"
    03-05-14 07:48 AM
    This is the exact reason why many products that make no sense are popular.
    This is what is ruining the North American economy. This doesn't mean products are good or bad just that certain people get or need to get or want a product just because someone else has it. Look at all the shopping malls, 90% filled with brand name clothing all made in sweat shops over seas. It has a name brand so it will sell for 80% higher cost even though it is the same quality and made in the same offshore factories, the only difference being which label is sewn on.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 07:51 AM
    As a father of two Teenage daughters there is no other phone than the Iphone.. They don't care about security or anything else... They want an Iphone becasue EVERYONE has an iphone!! Plain and simple... The iphones are simple to use and have a billion apps and they are just perfect for a teenager...

On the other side of the coin... I love my Blackberry partially because EVERYONE has an iphone!!!......Teenagers want to "fit-in".... and I want to "Stand-out"....
    As a parent of a teen daughter, and ex Apple users, my daughter chose the Z10 after numerous problems with her Android devices. She based it on facts and took the time to research on Amazon, looking at cases, accessories, docking cradles etc. She uses the NFC along with the smart tag in my car. She utilizes bluetooth for file transfers between devices. She loves the removable battery and battery bundle. She appreciates the expandable memory , message notification bar, keyboard and universal USB charger. So, there r some teens who r capable of making informed decisions. She does stand out and gets ridiculed for her decision unfortunately. Thankfully, she doesn't care.

Zed 10 with 1925 leak
    codiak likes this.
    03-05-14 07:52 AM
    At its crux - I cannot fathom why a 14 year old needs an iphone. My niece has a newer iphone than my wife. For what? To text her dumb *** friends. Completely silly if you ask me and for that I blame her mother (my sister).

Posted via CB10
    14 years old is high school age. I would've LOVED to have had a smartphone at that age to keep track of all of my assignments and notes rather than lug around a huge trapper keeper. I got my first smart-ish phone, the Sidekick 3, in 2006 when I was in grad school. I used the calender and "to do" list to keep track of my assignments, and I'd even type my notes on that instead of hand-write them. I'd email them to myself and keep them in folders on my computer as well as on my phone. Whenever I'd have a new professor I'd show them my notes after every class for the first few sessions to show them I wasn't goofing off under the guise of taking notes. Had I had a tool like that available in high school I think I would've used that a lot more than the cumbersome trapper keeper, just because the phone was actually fun to use. I'm not saying that every 14 year old would be responsible with a smartphone, and perhaps I was more responsible than the average kid, but that's a reason why a teenager might have a smartphone.
    TGR1 likes this.
    03-05-14 08:24 AM
    I'm finally understanding why so many people like iPhones. It's all about style.
    Yes, because your 15 y/o niece (who doesn't have an iPhone) speaks for iPhone buyers generally, regardless of age.

/s
    03-05-14 08:35 AM
    Not everyone is going to want a BlackBerry, or an iPhone or...fill in the blank. Honestly, why can't we be okay with that? We don't all drive the same brand of car, or eat the same food, or go to the same college, so why do some people think that unless you have a BlackBerry you're an "iSheep", or unless you have an iPhone you're out of touch etc.? I have a Q10 and an iPhone 5 and like them both for different reasons and uses. My family all have iPhones, and they like them and are happy with them for what they are. There are times they wish they had BlackBerries again, but their usage patterns clearly put them in the "iPhone makes more sense for them" category. They use BBM, so we get along just fine. Different doesn't necessarily mean wrong, a lot of times...it just means different.
    03-05-14 08:38 AM
    "I've posted about this before but here it is again: Please, please BlackBerry, let us take TimeShift photos and turn them into motion GIFs. I take TS pics and people (especially young people) love it when I slide the time shift back and forth. Problem is, I can't save those."

We do that too, and we find it hilarious to construct the worst photo possible. So now when I mention I'm using timeshift, everyone starts making goofy faces so we can pick the worst for each person.
    Last edited by hoodoo1966; 03-05-14 at 08:48 AM. Reason: added quote
    03-05-14 08:46 AM
    Its's not her fault. She is just 15 and it's totally expected. BlackBerry should touchbase this area as well. Also, it doesn't matter for teenagers how quickly HUB and Actuve Frames make everything easy, it's all about style and cool factor. I would suggest you to get her a white iPhone else she will keep cursing you.. Lol.. Just kidding
    03-05-14 08:54 AM
    Seriously, are you guys going to debate the rationality of what a 15 year old girl wants? It seems to me that you're going to have to pick your battles, here. While I'm sure there is an issue of cost, here, this is like your relatives sitting around and wondering what you see in that heavy metal or grunge music and why you dress the way you do when you were 15.

You shouldn't be surprised that 15 year old acts that way. One could question, though, why one would buy a 15 year old a personal item like this without finding out what they want, first. Would you do that with clothes?

Actually, we are probably being a little hard on the OP. The point was that Blackberry isn't going to win over younger people with uniqueness, app compatibility, or functionality. This is going to be a popular thread because it is well titled and there's nothing that people love more than chiming in with an opinion on how kids should be raised
    Last edited by early2bed; 03-05-14 at 09:09 AM.
    TGR1 likes this.
    03-05-14 08:55 AM
    Does she have a job? I'd she does then she can buy a white I phone. If not take what u get until you can afford to buy want you want.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 09:01 AM
    The reality is: iPhone is geared for education. Look at the integration with School now and the myriad of apps available WITHOUT sideload, sacheshi, whatever! Android is 2nd in this regard!

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
    03-05-14 09:02 AM
    The reality is: iPhone is geared for education. Look at the integration with School now and the myriad of apps available WITHOUT sideload, sacheshi, whatever! Android is 2nd in this regard!

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
    4 years back bbry had the youth market nailed with BBM. Kids then began getting into social media and touch screens. The trend was obvious to all... Apart from BlackBerry...
    decoy7 and stevenjamesclark like this.
    03-05-14 09:11 AM
    As a father of two Teenage daughters there is no other phone than the Iphone.. They don't care about security or anything else... They want an Iphone becasue EVERYONE has an iphone!! Plain and simple... The iphones are simple to use and have a billion apps and they are just perfect for a teenager...

On the other side of the coin... I love my Blackberry partially because EVERYONE has an iphone!!!......Teenagers want to "fit-in".... and I want to "Stand-out"....
    This is very true and she's told me this before I gave her a Z10, I'm definitely not going to buy her a brand new iPhone and she knows that, because she's already proved that she not responsible enough. I valued the Z10 at about $200 and I got a new Z30 for $400. My brother gave me $100 for the phone too. I'm not giving a $200 xmas gift.

She seems to be very popular and I was hoping just maybe she would really like the phone and promote it a bit (just trying to do my part).

My real question I guess would be what can BlackBerry do to target this market or girls 15-25? Which is probably a HUGE market. Should they just forget about it and except defeat? It's obvious they can't advertise on features. Idk

Zed30
    03-05-14 09:13 AM
    In teenagers defense I don't think they want an iPhone 'just because' their friends have them or it being status quo, I think they want iPhone because out of all the phones its what they can communicate and be tied in
    with their friends best. Be it video chat, playing games with their friends like Words/Scrabble/Monopoly/Uno With Friends.
    When mine asked for her own iPad, when I asked the colour thinking it mattered I was told "It doesn't matter".

If you saw the apps on my teens iPads and iPhones you'd swear the devices belonged to an adult.
    The only colour that was even intentionally chosen was the pink keyboard case they wanted for the iPad which I didn't mind paying 100 bucks for because it was being used for school work.
    kbill1984 and GingerSnapsBack like this.
    03-05-14 09:27 AM
    Soooo......someone tell me again why any 14 year old would have a smart phone?

Just get them a pre-paid feature phone with a keyboard. Text away.
    03-05-14 09:29 AM
    I'm sorry but as a 19yr old, if she isn't struggling with the phone itself in terms of productivity, there's no reason for her to get a new phone. Sounds egotistical, but I work and school, and I don't even have a a phone plan. I use pay2go. Because my parents make me pay for my phone... point being when you have to work for things you want, things like case color goes out the Window.. you buy what you can afford or what you NEED. I wouldn't have a z10 If it was as costly as iphones anyways but I'm glad I bought one last November.

Parents might wanna start doing that again (not directed at the OP).

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 09:30 AM
    Its's not her fault. She is just 15 and it's totally expected. BlackBerry should touchbase this area as well. Also, it doesn't matter for teenagers how quickly HUB and Actuve Frames make everything easy, it's all about style and cool factor. I would suggest you to get her a white iPhone else she will keep cursing you.. Lol.. Just kidding

It is expected I agree now, my problem for BlackBerry is this is the age that consumers get into the smartphone market and into a ecosystem. Everyone knows that once their entrench in a ecosystem it's very difficult to leave unless the product is really sub-par. We seen it with BlackBerry, millions of people were reluctant to leave for a better platform and is the only reasons BlackBerry still exist today.

BlackBerry really needs to target this young segment, because once Apple's got'em their not letting go.

Is there any strategies BlackBerry could execute in the future they can do with the limited money they have? It's not realistic for TV ads because they just don't have the $$$. There must be others ways

Zed30
    03-05-14 09:32 AM
    Soooo......someone tell me again why any 14 year old would have a smart phone?

Just get them a pre-paid feature phone with a keyboard. Text away.
    How many dumb phone can you put location tracking on. Teachers and schools now have it that you can do and get your home work assignments online.
    kbill1984 likes this.
    03-05-14 09:38 AM
    BlackBerry should focus more on the pink Q5. I'm waiting the price to be down a little bit so I can send one as a gift for my stepsister. She lives in another state and is looking forward to have a pink smartphone with physical keyboard (real pink, not just a case).

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 09:43 AM
    So many people here act like anyone who doesn't choose BB10 is ignorant of its superiority. I have a Z10, HTC One GPe, and an iPod Touch. I use my One as my main carry because the build quality is amazing, I love the Google services integration, and I love the customization. My iPod stays in my car or gets used for apps that friends are using that aren't available on Android. My Z10 is my workout phone because it fits best in my hand, doesn't slip, and it's easy to switch between Endomondo and Spotify. One of the things I hate about iOS and BB10 is I can't clear the damn home screen. I like to actually see the pictures I've set as wallpapers. BB10 and iOS are too closed for me. I've actually tried all three of them and that's a huge issue for me. Does that mean I'm as ridiculous as a 15 year old girl? No, it means that's my preference. I don't use cases, but I know people who change their cases as often as I change my wallpaper, and yes they are iPhone users. iOS is still the simplest to use, gets popular high end apps first, and is a great tool for its power users. I'm pulling for BlackBerry. They do some things that I really love, like the multitasking and the Hub, but those aren't reason enough for me to make my Z10 my main carry.

The main reason I've pretty much stopped visiting these forums is because most of the threads I see are "That person doesn't use BB10? Clearly they are too ignorant to see that it's superior." OP's niece isn't a silly 15 year old girl, she's a consumer that wants a certain product for a specific reason. There are plenty of parents who will buy their teenagers the phone of their choice and, whether you think it's stupid or not, variety of cases will be a determining factor. If personal preference weren't important, there'd only be one type of everything.
    03-05-14 09:43 AM

What you're saying is that your decision making, like that of your two daughters, is driven by how other people will perceive you.
    03-05-14 09:53 AM
210 1234 ...