I think that limb you're going out on is pretty thin and wouldn't put too much weight on it.
    rottonj likes this.
    01-21-13 04:20 PM
    Everyone here keep's saying "because it's only 16GB with no other variants", don't forget theres still a surprise at launch, and theres already expandable memory, why would RIM give any developer a full 64GB device anyway? I'm going to go out on a limb and say there will be a 16 GB 32GB and 64GB model at start. Then as time passes the first two will be discontinued because the 16GB model is already expandable.
    I'm fairly certain, that's false. In fact I HOPE you are wrong.. multiple memory sizes is just asking for trouble, it's adds to manufacturing costs.. it ads to the outlay carriers and dealers need to spend to carry the product and it leads to stale inventory.. I can't remember how many times, when I worked for Rogers we used to run out of 16GB iphones, and we couldn't get more because our purchase order with apple was maxed out because we had tons of unsold 64GB's..
    cjcampbell likes this.
    01-21-13 05:14 PM
    No. Nobody has pre-ordered yet.. you have "reserved". Which is basically just giving a 40 dollar deposit to say you're interested. If you don't actually order a device your registration fee will be refunded. A legitimate pre-order means you've paid for the device, you've complete the activation of your new account or your hardware upgrade and the device will be sent to you in one week. This is something that cannot be started until official pricing is released, which is why I say if they are doing that for a week, they can't start it until Jan 30th or even 31st.. so we would be looking at a feb 6 or 7th shipping date.
    That makes sense...but the pre-order/reservation option I spoke to my local Rogers store and they said that the reservation ultimately reserves you a device when they get it in store...so if RIM has them shipped and ready for sale on the 31st, then there will be one in my local store with my name on it reserved for me. That is the deal I get by reserving and paying the $40. Who is to say RIM hasn't or isn't in the process of shipping devices early next week and having all stores ready to sell them on the Thursday after the event.

What I was made aware of is that the reservation as I have not paid for the actual device, as I said before, it assures me that the second that BB10 phone arrives in my chosen store, local store, that I will be contacted and I will have from that second to pick up that device and the store will hold the device for me for a week before taking my name off of it. So I technically could have the device on the 31st if thats when RIM decides to start sales.
    01-21-13 06:27 PM
    That makes sense...but the pre-order/reservation option I spoke to my local Rogers store and they said that the reservation ultimately reserves you a device when they get it in store...so if RIM has them shipped and ready for sale on the 31st, then there will be one in my local store with my name on it reserved for me. That is the deal I get by reserving and paying the $40. Who is to say RIM hasn't or isn't in the process of shipping devices early next week and having all stores ready to sell them on the Thursday after the event.

What I was made aware of is that the reservation as I have not paid for the actual device, as I said before, it assures me that the second that BB10 phone arrives in my chosen store, local store, that I will be contacted and I will have from that second to pick up that device and the store will hold the device for me for a week before taking my name off of it. So I technically could have the device on the 31st if thats when RIM decides to start sales.
    As much as of course we'd all like to see the devices available that day.. I just don't see it. RIM has invested a lot in a "global launch" if they start shipping them to stores a week, even a few days early.. you just know some d-bag retail employee will open one up and start showing it off.. assuming the launch was to be immediate, they would likely start shipping them the day after the launch..then again, with overnight shipping and whatnot.. who knows.. it's all speculation I guess.
    01-21-13 07:43 PM
    I would agree with you on your comment
    01-21-13 08:30 PM
    01-21-13 08:38 PM
    That would be very competitive, although it almost seems to cheap to be true.

9 more days and we'll know a lot more.
    I've learned not to believe anything that comes from BGR.
    01-21-13 09:01 PM
    Everyone here keep's saying "because it's only 16GB with no other variants", don't forget theres still a surprise at launch, and theres already expandable memory, why would RIM give any developer a full 64GB device anyway? I'm going to go out on a limb and say there will be a 16 GB 32GB and 64GB model at start. Then as time passes the first two will be discontinued because the 16GB model is already expandable.
    I think that it is unlikely that we will see anything other than 16gig models because they already offer expansion due to the inclusion of the sd card slot.

Offering multiple memory sizes would not significantly alter sales and it would add more complexity to managing stock levels as carriers would be unsure of demand for all three sizes and might end up being more cautious on all of them until they were more sure, neither of which situation helps rim.
    01-22-13 02:02 AM
    for a 2 (or 3 year contract) the phones should be free...you will see several new models being released in that time...
    01-22-13 06:10 AM
    $149 is awfully cheap but I am not complaining. I'm gonna have to pay for full price anyway so this will not apply to me lol.

@billydasco
    01-22-13 06:40 AM
    I will gladly pay that for a new Blackberry phone. I am hoping AT&T has it out by February.
    01-22-13 07:06 AM
    I hope Verizon delivers soon after launch but it doesn't look good so far. Not much I can do but wait I guess.

And $149 would be a fair price to me.
    01-22-13 08:07 AM
    It always cracks me up how U.S. buyers who are about to sign a contract to pay their carrier a minimum of $2,000 (and usually closer to $3,000) for service over the next 24 months are so swayed by a $50 difference up front.
    kingb71 likes this.
    01-22-13 08:17 AM
    In the future, please consider clicking the "Like" button and be sure not to double post.

There are 49 round-dollar price points between 149 and 199. I think the + or - $20 is more about marketing strategy rather than what it will actually cost.

If a carrier can have a device with an off contract price of $600 be $100 on contract, or free sometimes, or whatever, then it's clear to me that the subsidized price of any device is arbitrary... they keep their "prestige" devices having a higher subsidized price because they CAN, because there's allure.

If the availability of BB10 devices is low, and the carriers have sufficient pre-orders that their entire stock will be depleted, they will be unlikely to "leave money on the table" and put the pricing too low... they may offer miniscule perks like "free text" or additional data throughput on contract, but why would they lower their price too much when there is a subset of the market willing to pay the higher price? (which is how you will get people posting new devices on Kijiji for $900 and some idiots buying them)

There are far far too many variables even for speculation at this point, but here are some other considerations:

1) Since Wind and Mobilicity don't have LTE yet, I bet there will be an aggressive push by RobElUs to lure Wind & Mobilicity customers back into the fold. They have to compete on price there as well.
    2) Imagine a "Buy the Z10 on $60 per month 3 year contract for $199, get a PlayBook FREE!" offer. I mean at prices ~$100 for the 16 gig, it's a distinct offering from just getting a free charger or what not.

There are all sorts of ways this can play out, but I would expect the launch price to range anywhere between $99 and $199, and possibly no greater than 2 months after launch you'll see that price closer to $99, depending on scarcity... I know RIM's upped their orders, but I don't know how far it is practical to up them... at this point, I think RIM's higher range expectations look to be exceeded (I'm thinking circa 2007 Wii shortages) so prices should stay at premium while supply outstrips demand.
    Last edited by lorax1284; 01-22-13 at 08:39 AM.
    01-22-13 08:28 AM
    It always cracks me up how U.S. buyers who are about to sign a contract to pay their carrier a minimum of $2,000 (and usually closer to $3,000) for service over the next 24 months are so swayed by a $50 difference up front.
    That's why I'm going to wait an extra month or so for the refurbished Z10s to come around (you know they will). At AT&T, they generally tend to run anywhere from 1 cent to $30.

That's how I got my current 9800 over two years ago. 1 cent and still running great.
    Techno-Emigre likes this.
    01-22-13 09:59 AM
    What about the nonlte variant? Is it going to cost less?
    01-22-13 10:08 AM
    ...no greater than 2 months after launch you'll see that price closer to $99, depending on scarcity...
    I would be very surprised to see the price this low until the phone has been discontinued in favor of a new model.. no sooner then 12 months in my opinion.

I truly believe the proper price point is 199.99 on a 2 yr contract (3yr here in Canada) and 599.99 outright. And I really think that's what we will see. Possibly with 50 dollars off for launch (149.99) which will later become permanent.
    01-22-13 10:14 AM
    What about the nonlte variant? Is it going to cost less?

Probably not.. the non LTE variant will only be available in non LTE markets.. in which case no one else has LTE either, so there's no completion that diminishes the value.
    01-22-13 10:16 AM
    If this is true, it's going to be crazy!!!! I've NEVER spent anything less then $200 on my blackberry and that was with a 3 year contract eh. High of $800 when I buy out. But I guess we will find out eh
    01-22-13 11:16 PM
44 12