To strengthen the app ecosystem, Marty Mallick, vice president, global alliances and business development, said the company has more than 1,000 global alliances.

�Two years back, we had nothing. Now we have 70,000 apps. In March, we will have beyond 100,000 apps,� said Mallick, adding that the key app categories include gaming, multimedia, published media, business and productivity, social, sports and lifestyle.

BlackBerry�s app ecosystem pales in comparison to Apple�s more than 700,000 apps and Android�s 675,000 but Mallick countered that �very few apps succeed. Around 95% of usage is spent on the top 5% of apps. Hence we focus on the important few.�

Will the new BlackBerry click in the Indian smartphone market? - Livemint
    02-18-13 12:43 AM
    Makes sense. I mean how many farther machine, beer pouring, sound making apps are there versus how many you need (none of those actually). I'm guessing it's about quality versus quantity with blackberry. Granted we have our useless ones. But its not like we don't already have outstanding ones. Just on my playbook I've got some great apps. When I had my android I only had the big name brand apps and that's all I really used. So hopefully people will see passed that but just in case they don't hopefully bb will continue supporting great apps. If we could get 200k by the end of the year that would be great. Not sure how plausible it is tho.
    02-18-13 12:48 AM
    I've heard a metric of something like 400k of Apple's apps have never been downloaded. Ever.
    02-18-13 12:49 AM
    I've heard a metric of something like 400k of Apple's apps have never been downloaded. Ever.

400,000 apps in the App Store have never been downloaded says report
    02-18-13 12:59 AM
    The thing is thousands of useless apps makes no diffrece but 5 core apps will make huge diffrence. viber, whatsapp, netflix, skype, instagram. personally I do not care for these apps but lot of people have iphone just because of these apps or they use iphone because of these apps.
    02-18-13 01:13 AM
    its not the case though

100000 apps in March-iphone5_0128.jpg
    mikeo007 and Alex_Hong like this.
    02-18-13 01:24 AM
    And here we go again!
    02-18-13 02:08 AM
    its not the case though

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iPhone5_0128.jpg 
Views:	572 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	136513
    To be honest, i take both with a spoonful of salt. Apple obviously would have their own agenda with their statistics, and who knows whether the other account that says 400,000 apps are never downloaded might have their own agenda too.

But i do agree that there are probably a bunch of apps that many will need/want, and perhaps a bigger bunch of games as well. The important thing is to obtain those, and of course be one of the platforms that developers consider to launch their new apps on. Sadly, BlackBerry 10 is still lacking behind on those front. Hopefully, US launch will change that.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    02-18-13 05:27 AM
    Yes 90% downloaded and then 70% of those deleted almost immediately.

I'm just guessing
    02-18-13 05:34 AM
    Are they still bragging about their hundreds of thousands of apps?

How many of the big name apps announced on January 30 are available to download today? Not most of them.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-18-13 06:02 AM

I'm just guessing
    lol, yes i download and delete alot too
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-18-13 11:41 AM
    A couple strong social networking apps will go a long, long way.
    02-18-13 11:51 AM
    I hope in that 100,000, they will have the following:

-Blackberry Travel
    -Instagram (I don't use this, but I think every teenager on the plant does ...LOL)
    -Whatsapp (again, don;t use this, seems everyuone else does thou)
    -TSN
    02-18-13 12:02 PM
    its not the case though

It doesn't really matter either way. The point still stands that the amount of apps you have isn't near as important as the amount of useful apps you have. And while "useful" is different for each person, there are a "core" group of apps that provide services to huge user bases; i.e. Netflix, Skype, Instagram, Google Maps, HBOgo, TiVo To Go, [Insert your bank here] Mobile, etc. One app system has them, one doesn't. Until BlackBerry gets those apps on the platform (not just "committed" or "coming soon"), I don't think they want to start any app comparisons with Apple.
    02-18-13 12:08 PM
    Of those 100000 how many will be crap Android ports? How many will be actual quality? How many will the big apps be on board? Why are you all once again touting that "numbers don't mean anything" and then this post pops up? It doesn't matter how many apps BlackBerry World has, what matters is that the big ones are on board. WP8 has plenty of apps to keep me occupied but I am missing the big names. BlackBerry needs decent facebook, twitter, instagram, netflix, HBOGo and map apps. It needs the core BlackBerry experience back. People need to stop making excuses for the company and start demanding what every other platform has.

And just for the record for those that say that they don't use those apps: I don't give two ****s that you don't use those apps. The market doesn't give two ****s that you don't use those apps. It's NOT about YOU, it's about OTHER people. Take it from someone who has been dealing with the app gap since september. If Blackberry can't get their **** together then they won't take customers away from iOS or Android or even WP8.
    02-18-13 01:04 PM
    As BB is actually close on the "top" apps gap.... should be interesting to see what happens when BB actually gets said apps... If they pull off Netflix and Instagram the rest have been announced... what then???? All of us can start spouting apps such as Spotify etc as must have..but for most they are not deal breakers..... What will the beef be then...the app counts are ridiculous as they acutally mean nothing..... whether downloaded or not with that many apps choice actually goes out the window..... do you know how long it would actually take go through that many apps... and really how many to you have on your device at a given time.... truth be told that considering it is a brand new platform...I think BB did a great job with the launch and apps... hopefully we will see the holes get filled so to speak by US launch... but even then I suspect the usal chorus will chime in with 'SOMETHING" is missning... such is the way of people.....
    Mister-E likes this.
    02-18-13 01:20 PM
    Of those 100000 how many will be crap Android ports? How many will be actual quality? How many will the big apps be on board? Why are you all once again touting that "numbers don't mean anything" and then this post pops up? It doesn't matter how many apps BlackBerry World has, what matters is that the big ones are on board. WP8 has plenty of apps to keep me occupied but I am missing the big names. BlackBerry needs decent facebook, twitter, instagram, netflix, HBOGo and map apps. It needs the core BlackBerry experience back. People need to stop making excuses for the company and start demanding what every other platform has.

And just for the record for those that say that they don't use those apps: I don't give two ****s that you don't use those apps. The market doesn't give two ****s that you don't use those apps. It's NOT about YOU, it's about OTHER people. Take it from someone who has been dealing with the app gap since september. If Blackberry can't get their **** together then they won't take customers away from iOS or Android or even WP8.
    my my cranky are we.....I have to ask.... "how do force developers to create an app for your device".... figure that out and these threads will be gone......
    web99 and CerveloJohn like this.
    02-18-13 01:23 PM
    my my cranky are we.....I have to ask.... "how do force developers to create an app for your device".... figure that out and these threads will be gone......
    + 1. I was about to ask the same question.
    02-18-13 01:29 PM

I'm just guessing
    82.3% of statisics are made up on the spot
    02-18-13 01:36 PM
    I know this has been beaten to death, but is there a bloodfeud between RIM/Blackberry and Netflix??? I mean the Wii U and the PS Vita had Netflix on day 1!!! Blackberry has 90 million users, 2 million Playbooks, yet never had a single official Netflix app? And it still doesn't? How is this even possible and why is this???
    02-18-13 01:38 PM
    its not the case though

you're probably right but how many times are those apps actually downloaded and used, downloading is one thing but are they used are they deleted are they downlaoded just to see what they are like. i'm in no way disagreeing with the claims that 90% are downloaded i just cant see them all beign used very often or mroe then a hand full of times
    02-18-13 01:39 PM
    I know this has been beaten to death, but is there a bloodfeud between RIM/Blackberry and Netflix??? I mean the Wii U and the PS Vita had Netflix on day 1!!! Blackberry has 90 million users, 2 million Playbooks, yet never had a single official Netflix app? And it still doesn't? How is this even possible and why is this???
    Money, I'm guessing.
    02-18-13 01:40 PM
    Actually, that wouldn't be terribly surprising. I've seen some of those titles. Quite a few were obviously people throwing goo on the wall hoping it would stick.
    02-18-13 01:41 PM
    Actually, that wouldn't be terribly surprising. I've seen some of those titles. Quite a few were obviously people throwing goo on the wall hoping it would stick.
    We'll see similar with the port-a-thon, I think.
    randall2580 and Drew808 like this.
    02-18-13 01:46 PM
    As BB is actually close on the "top" apps gap.... should be interesting to see what happens when BB actually gets said apps... If they pull off Netflix and Instagram the rest have been announced... what then???? All of us can start spouting apps such as Spotify etc as must have..but for most they are not deal breakers..... What will the beef be then...the app counts are ridiculous as they acutally mean nothing..... whether downloaded or not with that many apps choice actually goes out the window..... do you know how long it would actually take go through that many apps... and really how many to you have on your device at a given time.... truth be told that considering it is a brand new platform...I think BB did a great job with the launch and apps... hopefully we will see the holes get filled so to speak by US launch... but even then I suspect the usal chorus will chime in with 'SOMETHING" is missning... such is the way of people.....
    Right now, next to any app of any consequence there are usually 2 prominent application stores. When BBWorld is as ubiquitous as those, there will be nothing to say. Until then, why can't folks understand that there are those of us who want BB to be the equal of the other 2, after all this is the platform that leapfrogs the other 2.
    02-18-13 05:43 PM
28 12