Clearly, for us British, you butcher our native tongue on many an occasion as well. But we'll let you off, since you seem to like playing with it as much as we do - and that can never be a bad thing!
    Now hold on a Moment there Good Sir. The British spawned the language but on more than one instance where I couldn't get what a British Citizen was saying to me. Now to be fair, some idioms are not as easy to transribe, but of course that is what makes the Queen's Subjects so good to listen to.

Besides, I call it a Cell Phone. You call it a Mobile Device. At least, that is what I imagine. If not, Please don't have an MI6 hit squad come looking for me.
    01-10-13 10:21 AM
    Now hold on a Moment there Good Sir. The British spawned the language but on more than one instance where I couldn't get what a British Citizen was saying to me. Now to be fair, some idioms are not as easy to transribe, but of course that is what makes the Queen's Subjects so good to listen to.

Besides, I call it a Cell Phone. You call it a Mobile Device. At least, that is what I imagine. If not, Please don't have an MI6 hit squad come looking for me.
    Well, it's hardly our fault that we don't speak like D-ick (bloody swear filter!) Van Dyke in Mary Poppins is it? I believe our sweet retaliation of getting Michael Caine to attempt an American accent demonstrates the point rather well....

You should be grateful. Our German friends call it a "Handy" (adopt Teutonic accent for the full hilarious effect)
    01-10-13 10:29 AM
    Well, it's hardly our fault that we don't speak like D-ick (bloody swear filter!) Van Dyke in Mary Poppins is it? I believe our sweet retaliation of getting Michael Caine to attempt an American accent demonstrates the point rather well....

You should be grateful. Our German friends call it a "Handy" (adopt Teutonic accent for the full hilarious effect)
    You must remember, most people in the States assume that all the Queen's Subjects sound like Mary Poppins when in fact most Joe Bloggs sound nothing of the sort. What I always find utterly hilarious though is the dichotomy with the Britsh accents. For example, you have your Nobility. (Queen Elizabeth and her Kin) But then you have all those that actually fight the wars that allow the British well to do to live these lavish lifestyles. (Generally, they speak in a Gruff manner without using the letter 'H', and like to say "Savvy" at the end of a statement, Savvy?)

And yes, I'm sure that Zie Germans make constant fun of the Brits. Along with the French, then again the Brits have all manor of jokes for us all I'm sure.
    01-10-13 10:38 AM
    You must remember, most people in the States assume that all the Queen's Subjects sound like Mary Poppins when in fact most Joe Bloggs sound nothing of the sort. What I always find utterly hilarious though is the dichotomy with the Britsh accents. For example, you have your Nobility. (Queen Elizabeth and her Kin) But then you have all those that actually fight the wars that allow the British well to do to live these lavish lifestyles. (Generally, they speak in a Gruff manner without using the letter 'H', and like to say "Savvy" at the end of a statement, Savvy?)

And yes, I'm sure that Zie Germans make constant fun of the Brits. Along with the French, then again the Brits have all manor of jokes for us all I'm sure.
    Nobody else speaks like the Royal Family. Nobody. Ever. Anywhere.

Of course we do - though you do spoil our fun when you decide to elect one....
    01-10-13 10:44 AM
    Nobody else speaks like the Royal Family. Nobody. Ever. Anywhere.

Of course we do - though you do spoil our fun when you decide to elect one....
    Well, we don't mean to ruin your fun at all.
    Banco likes this.
    01-10-13 10:51 AM
    BlackBerry has a TON of languages that it supports. The PlayBook doesnt support as many, but expect that to change with BB10.

BB10 allows for typing of up to three languages within the same body of text, and it will correct you in the appropriate languages. While this is a niche feature, I am not aware of others that do this without having to manually switch languages.
    Swiftkey's Android keyboard can do three at once as well. Which would make sense if the BB10 keyboard uses their software.
    Last edited by bp3dots; 01-10-13 at 12:53 PM. Reason: typos
    magutwit likes this.
    01-10-13 12:53 PM
    BlackBerry has a TON of languages that it supports

Well, I really wanted to check how many is the TON, but I failed. Since it's not the same thing for all phones, it's hard to find, and since I have a Blackberry I wasn't able to check it trough my BB Desktop options (the phone just freezed every time I tried to connect it, these things do happen to BBs, right? ). So we'll just stick to general information as well as to this :
    The PlayBook doesnt support as many, but expect that to change with BB10.
    Right, I believe there's like 10 languages more than on the PB (which still doesn't make a TON, in fact there is nothing like a TON even if there were 15 or 20 more).

So. The PB - 24 languages if my count is good (let's say something like 35 for BB phones)

Now. Apple (iPhone5 and iPad). Keyboard support, it makes 55:

10 Reasons To Hope For BlackBerry 10-apple.jpg
    Apple - iPhone 5 - View all the technical specifications.

Galaxy SIII - I tried to count as accurately as I could from the video - it makes 58
    Samsung Galaxy S3 Languages

Galaxy Note 10.1 - same thing - I did my best - it seems to be 66
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Languages

Lumia - I didn't even count, but since I've seen even those I didn't see for Galaxies, I suppose there are even more, if not all...
    Nokia Lumia 920 Languages

BB10 allows for typing of up to three languages within the same body of text, and it will correct you in the appropriate languages. While this is a niche feature, I am not aware of others that do this without having to manually switch languages.
    That was exactly my point : it's very cool to support more than one language simultaneously (although, as you can see on a video above, Galaxies can have more than one preselected input and you can change it within a very simple handy swipe), but the best start would be to start to support more languages rather than supporting few of them simultaneously. As you've seen, competitors don't offer like 5 more languages, they offer two to three times more languages. Now the good start would be to provide, I don't know, let's not be too ambitious to expect the same amount, just a little less than...well than everybody else. (Uh, don't you feel how ridiculous is it to be behind everybody?).

Now, I have faith in Rim and I thought that it could be explained by the fact that they don't have an all-touch smartphone yet, but deep inside they don't want to be ridiculous (and that they just don't bother for the PB), I was sure they would do everything to be like everybody, and...and I looked for the list of languages supported by BB10 at launch. And I found it.
    BlackBerry� 10 Cascades
    Complete List of Supported Languages on BlackBerry 10; We got Hindi & Many More! | BBin - India 's Best BlackBerry Community

I don't know if I should cry or laugh. I can only hope that this information is very outdated, because this optimistic comment gives me a hysterical laugh :

With the launch of BlackBerry 10 OS the company confirms to equip a massive multilanguage support upto 33 different languages!
    Well, yeah, the brand new phone which is supposed to kill all the competition will be launched with the massive support of up to 33 languages! While all others provide from 50 to 60 and up in 2012 already. That Michael is right, "RIM has subscribers from all around the world & to provide the best for them all BlackBerry smartphones".

If it doesn't seem important to you, just count that for every missing language you miss an additional market and leave it to everybody else (and I don't feel like the North-American market is all joy right now).

P.S. All I'm getting at is that this multilanguage feature is nice, I agree, but one is too optimistic if he thinks that it could be one of these "10 reasons to hope for BB10" or that it would suffice to convince those who have already deserted Rim. It's a nice extra, but other competitors are still better at languages support. Even if some of us are very supportive of Rim and find everything they make extraordinary, this is not the case of people who are on Apple or Samsung right now : what makes you happy, can make no effect to them, because they have better options elsewhere, that's all. There is no valuable excuse as for Skype, nobody prevents Rim from working on their supported languages.
    01-10-13 02:40 PM
    You must remember, most people in the States assume that all the Queen's Subjects sound like Mary Poppins
    What you mean they don't ?
    01-10-13 03:38 PM
    Shaat your maaaaf, ya bleedin' tosser....

Oh dear, one is most awfully sorry.
    01-10-13 03:57 PM
    Shaat your maaaaf, ya bleedin' tosser....

Oh dear, one is most awfully sorry.
    @Jimpilot, as you can see, they do not.

@Banco, Cheers!
    Banco likes this.
    01-11-13 01:34 PM
35 12