N4BB is reporting that RIM has cancelled all production on a 10" Playbook iteration to focus on the first set of QNX "superphones."

10″ PlayBook Production Stopped In Favor of First BlackBerry ‘Superphone’ � N4BB – News for BlackBerry – leaks, rumors, videos, faqs, reviews

A few weeks back we exclusively received word on some of the details regarding the rumored 10″ BlackBerry PlayBook aka PlayBook 2. However, it seems RIM has changed their mind, as we�ve received new word that the entire 10″ PlayBook development has been canceled. The reason we�re told is for production focus on the first QNX powered BlackBerry �Superphone�. Some of the specs we�ve been told on the new �Superphone� include:

Single-core 1.2GHz processor (same as Bold 9900), word has it that the same dual-core processor in PlayBook is a huge battery killer, but a dual-core processor is still a possibility
    900+ screen resolution
    4.3″ touchscreen
    We�ve also learned that since development of the 10″ PlayBook has ceased, RIM has started pushing the LTE 4G PlayBook variant. It is currently said to be scheduled for release in October 2011. There is no known release date for the BlackBerry �Superphone� or a known codename. Of course these specs and information are not confirmed by RIM as yet and may change, but make sure you keep it locked to N4BB.com for any more information.
    I feel this is a great decision by RIM. They need to get their phone lineups in order and their 1st iteration of the Playbook up to par before moving onto different models. Hopefully this will speed up the time frame for the QNX phones to land in our hands.
    06-28-11 01:02 PM
    Also to add to my initial post, N4BB states that RIM is going to use a single-core 1.2GHz processor instead of the rumored dual-core in the QNX phones. Will this mean that the upcoming OS7 devices will be able to be upgraded to QNX? We can all hope.
    06-28-11 01:06 PM
    Thread closing in 3. . .2. . .1. . .
    06-28-11 01:06 PM
    I posted this in the PlayBook forum, as a current 7" PlayBook owner and it got closed/moved too... What's the deal?
    06-28-11 01:08 PM
    Also to add to my initial post, N4BB states that RIM is going to use a single-core 1.2GHz processor instead of the rumored dual-core in the QNX phones. Will this mean that the upcoming OS7 devices will be able to be upgraded to QNX? We can all hope.
    This would be possible but I have a feeling that the QNX phones will be touch only to ensure OS compatibility along the entire line.
    06-28-11 01:26 PM
    Sorry Jenks, it didn't pop-up in the related items category when I began to post it and I didn't even think to check the Playbook section since I never normally due with the lack of owning a Playbook. Sorry again.
    06-28-11 01:27 PM
    I posted this in the PlayBook forum, as a current 7" PlayBook owner and it got closed/moved too... What's the deal?
    I think I might understand why they closed your thread instead of mine, though. Since I quoted the text it didn't force CB users to head over to N4BB to read the article. I believe this is why, but not 100%, and if someone would like to correct, please do so.
    06-28-11 01:33 PM
    So now RIM is copying Apple and everybody is happy.
    Where are the RIM followers,whom will never buy a keyboard less phone, touchscreen are jokes, 4.3inch is just too big for me, battery life is my top priority(4.3inch device battery will be bad in comparison to 2.4inch device),etc.

I think both the set of supporters are alike that the reason Apple and Blackberry users hate each other( Opposite attract and Similar repel).
    Both group of supporters will buy anything till it has a RIM or Apple logo behind it.
    06-28-11 01:35 PM
    Where are the RIM followers,whom will never buy a keyboard less phone, touchscreen are jokes, 4.3inch is just too big for me, battery life is my top priority(4.3inch device battery will be bad in comparison to 2.4inch device),etc.

I think both the set of supporters are alike that the reason Apple and Blackberry users hate each other( Opposite attract and Similar repel).
    Both group of supporters will buy anything till it has a RIM or Apple logo behind it.
    I do not want an all-touchscreen device, the main reason that I posted the article and I am cautiously optimistic is that they might actually be putting full effort toward QNX phones which I would hope would include phones similar to the "hopefully" soon to be released Bold Touch.
    johnmarki likes this.
    06-28-11 01:40 PM
    ^^ I'm here i was just going to ask is RIM going to make a physical keyboard QNX phone? if not then i might as well get an Android or iPhone unless QNx is going to be better then them in some way?!!
    06-28-11 01:41 PM

What are you talking about?
    06-28-11 01:42 PM
    What are you talking about?
    From what I think to understand from his comment, is that the article specifically lists a 4.3" touchscreen as RIM's "superphone" and he/she is stating that this is just copying Apple since their iPhone is a large touchscreen. The article didn't have any mention of a phone with a full QWERTY keyboard that would run on QNX, but as i stated before I just hope that it is already assumed one will be included.
    06-28-11 01:46 PM
    4.3" screen is not copying apple... That sounds a lot more like the large android phones than anything having to do with apple at all...
    06-28-11 01:50 PM
    4.3" screen is not copying apple... That sounds a lot more like the large android phones than anything having to do with apple at all...
    Agreed, and since I really didn't know much about iPhone's, having never owned one, I went to look up the specs and their screen size is only 3.5", seems a large distance away from the rumored 4.3" superphone. I would compare it closer to the Evo or similar released Android devices.
    AbuYazeedUK likes this.
    06-28-11 01:54 PM
    Look a little closer!!!! The thread ABOVE yours got closed and moved! I probably should close your though and make a pointer to this thread, BUT I won't.

Here it is.....

http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/10...report-626367/

WE have also blogged this......

Development on the BlackBerry PlayBook 10" ceased, efforts now being put towards new QNX BlackBerry smartphones? | CrackBerry.com
    06-28-11 02:00 PM
    I believe QNX based phones will only be touchscreen, and OS 7.0 will be for BB's with keyboard.
    06-28-11 02:01 PM
    I believe QNX based phones will only be touchscreen, and OS 7.0 will be for BB's with keyboard.
    I hope this is not true because RIM has been talking up this QNX system so much and to not put it on the devices that made BB's what they are today, I feel would be complete suicide. I mean, they are considering the new Bold 9900/9930 their flagship device. From what I have understood from articles and similar information, all future BB's will have touchscreen ability, but not limited to only full touchscreen devices.
    06-28-11 02:10 PM
    Can anyone tell me why supposedly can't develop two items at the same time on the same platform. They did just lay a few people off?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-11 02:46 PM
    As I understand QNX, there's no reason it could not be used for phones with keyboards. With BB having the best keyboards on the market, I think they'd be dumb to toss out it's biggest strength they have to make an iCopy. RIM is showing some smarts by concentrating on it's bread and butter, smartphones (Time to invest in RIMM?).
    06-28-11 02:51 PM
    Maybe it will just be easier to port QNX from the playbook to an all touch screen smartphone first. So they'll release that first to tide people over? Just a guess.

06-28-11 03:18 PM
    Well then why go all out with OS7.0 if QNX will be released this year on BB phones? This is what I don't get, they go all out to upgrade OS 6.0 to 7.0 developers have to scramble to recompile, and now the rumors of QNX based touchscreen phones to be released in October, (I know the initial intention was early 2012)

Talk about lack of direction from the CO-CEO's
    06-28-11 03:36 PM
    They won't go touch only. Whoever said that is crazy.

The first QNX will be touch only. If it's true about the processor, that means that the next set of phones will be upgraded. If so, that means bold touch will be upgraded, which is great news.
    06-28-11 03:55 PM
    Well then why go all out with OS7.0 if QNX will be released this year on BB phones? This is what I don't get, they go all out to upgrade OS 6.0 to 7.0 developers have to scramble to recompile, and now the rumors of QNX based touchscreen phones to be released in October, (I know the initial intention was early 2012)

Talk about lack of direction from the CO-CEO's
    I don't think lack of direction is the right statement to make.

I think it's better to say that their eyes have been opened and they don't have the luxury of waiting around anymore so they are just moving forward. Which is a great direction to take at this point. I don't think anyone can argue that.

I think that QNX is really just about done- they are probably polishing it and making sure that it works great with their BIS and BES systems, that it doesn't consumer a lot of data (like our current gens are good at), battery life is good etc. It's probably ready to go, things just are now starting to come full cirlve.
    purijagmohan likes this.
    06-28-11 03:58 PM
    what if after all this time the Bold 9900 lands in stores with QNX on it, how many will be excited?
    06-28-11 04:03 PM
    I think they are going with a touchscreen as the first "superphone" because that is what the large majority of consumers want. It is what the tech blog's and media expect. And releasing a very solid touch device on the BB platform will really say to the carriers, media, consumers, and financial analysts that RIM can play with the other manufacturers. Also it will wipe the storm name from a lot of peoples memory. I also think it is a good idea that they put their A Team on this and don't get in their way.

And there is nothing about QNX that precludes a full physical keyboard. Try to remember that the PlayBook runs Tablet OS which is running on the QNX Neutron kernel.

What I think will be very challenging for RIM is delivering consistency in the UI between all touch and physical qwerty devices and making that difference seamless to the developers of apps.

I see this as great news. RIM needs to deliver some solid devices. BB7, 4g PlayBook, first QNX powered handsets. That is their roadmap for next 12-18 months.

06-28-11 04:17 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD