No they did not invent the touch screen. They did make one that was actually usable and who people wanted to buy. Apple deserves that credit as much as I am a BlackBerry fan. It was the first touch screen device that was a major success.

Posted via CB10
    Other touchscreens prior to the iPhone were certainly usable but weren't really marketed as well. They also came at a time when people weren't really looking for anything new. Everything tends to have a life cycle and people eventually want change. Apple just knew when people were ready for that change, made a usable phone and marketed the crap out of it.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 06:36 AM
    You mean "true" as in "no multitasking, no MMS, no 3G, no apps, no anything"?

The only things the original iPhone had going for it was it's GUI, design, appearance and yes, it's browser and Google maps. But it wasn't that smart at all. It just had future potential and enough sugar coating to lure consumers away from their flip phones.

Posted via CB10
    Doesn't matter, it was still more then the blackberry devices at the time

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    09-04-14 07:04 AM
    I corrected that for you. Hope you don't mind
    Given that BB user base increased from 4.9M to 14M between 2006 to 2008, I would say luring users from flip phones sound more correct. But that's just my crazy idea...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Playbook007 and spikesolie like this.
    09-04-14 07:17 AM
    Doesn't matter, it was still more then the blackberry devices at the time

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    NOPE. That's the point.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 12:20 PM
    I corrected that for you. Hope you don't mind
    Sorry, living in Germany I often forget that BlackBerrys were an actual thing for consumers in North America at some point.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 12:21 PM
    I guess I even prefer a stylus tbh...on the other hand Windows 8.1 has both a light touch friendly UI + the full blown Windows UI, no? You don't need to buy an RT device to get a touch friendly Windows nowadays. AFAIK the RT devices were a one time experiment by MS that's abandoned already, the way forward are cheap convertibles and tablets running full blown Windows in a sleek package with both UXs combined.

Posted via CB10
    O know it has both... that's why I said to try to do in the "desktop", and I know you don't need to buy a RT... Jeeesus relax, I'm not that dumb...
    09-04-14 08:09 PM
    O know it has both... that's why I said to try to do in the "desktop", and I know you don't need to buy a RT... Jeeesus relax, I'm not that dumb...
    Yes but... what's the point then? Why do I need to be able to control the full desktop UI with my fingers when the device provides a much more precise stylus for extended operations and a dumbed down finger friendly UI for casual browsing on the couch? What I'd like to see is a tablet that's more than a mobile companion device. If the iPad is that smart and computerish and capable I recommend iPad users to just sell their desktops and laptops as well as peripherals off and just buy a physical iPad keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-14 01:35 AM
    Yes but... what's the point then? Why do I need to be able to control the full desktop UI with my fingers when the device provides a much more precise stylus for extended operations and a dumbed down finger friendly UI for casual browsing on the couch? What I'd like to see is a tablet that's more than a mobile companion device. If the iPad is that smart and computerish and capable I recommend iPad users to just sell their desktops and laptops as well as peripherals off and just buy a physical iPad keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    Again, you're mixing things... Forget about what you want.... I wanted more Physical keyboard devices to decide from and I don't have them, but the market demands the "tablet" format.... I'm not a big tablet user myself, I have a surface 2 that I mostly use to watch youtube in bed.

The argument was if Apple had "invented" the Tablet as we knot it or not.... And the [useless or not] Tablet as you know it... We would have to say that was introduced to the masses by Apple, and like it or not, theres a strong demand for tablets [without stylus] now, despite the low traction in the first year.

Samsung and Microsoft sell tablets with stylus and I don't see anybody using them. I personaly, if I want to do something serious I'll rather use a decent laptop, tablets are rubish to write
    09-05-14 06:12 PM
    Apple is legend. No joke.
    But today,BlackBerry is better. (if we talk about os.)

Hehehe
    10-29-14 07:50 AM
    Because they were the one that defined what a "smartphone" is.

Posted via CB10
    That was either Nokia, Palm or Microsoft (Most probably Nokia with their communicator though).
    Pick one of them please.

As much as I use to like Apple back when they where a smaller company I have to disagree with that. Apple where the first ones to release a functional touch screen but technology was going to get there anyway.

Posted via CB10
    And sadly, another misconception...
    Yes, capacitive touchscreens would happen anyhow, but that wasn't Apple actual innovation.

Their innovation was iOS itself, and making an OS perfectly usable with your fingers, instead of a stylus or buttons.

No they did not invent the touch screen. They did make one that was actually usable and who people wanted to buy. Apple deserves that credit as much as I am a BlackBerry fan. It was the first touch screen device that was a major success.

Posted via CB10
    And again, it's not about the touchscreen itself.
    It's about the way you interact with it, through the OS, the UI and the GUI.

That was the innovation and nobody thought of that before them.
    (remember the early Android phones being BlackBerry copies?)

I absolutely agree, its amazing how people credit Apple with any mobile tech development.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    It's not like they totally revolutionised the way we interact with phones...
    Oh! Actually, they did!
    Please inform yourself more about the so called smartphone history. Thanks.

BlackBerry invented the smartphone business. Apple took it and turned into the touchscreen party we see today.
    No BlackBerry didn't.
    BlackBerry invented a way for you to get your Emails in real time, and that was it.
    The smartphone, and the smartphone market was already existant before.

I hesitate to jump in here, since I've never used an iPhone myself, but I think the Big Thing that the iPhone brought to the marketplace was the on-demand virtual keyboard. I fully expect to be told that someone else did it before they did, but my recollection is that this was the revolutionary thing: the keyboard could simply disappear when not needed.

And it was, indeed, a Big Thing, even if some of us still like a PKB.
    Which is a part of their innovation called iOS.
    You Sir, studied some smartphone history.

Wrong, the competition did make the move, but the consumers didn't buy it. You make it seem like Apple was the first company to employ those technologies. That isn't true. They simply succeeded where others failed. For example, Microsoft tried to release a tablet years before Apple, but it didn't sell. And I think it was Sony who had front-facing cameras on their mobile phones for video chatting, but they only got popular in Asia.

Wrong.
    Nobody did the move Apple made:
    Make a phone with an OS that is perfectly usable only with your fingers.

Also: Pretty much every Nokia phone after 200x (I don't want to look it up, but they had it long before the iPhone had it) had the ff camera as well.
    Just like Samsung.

Just wait until the iphone 6 comes out. It'll finally have NFC. All of a sudden NFC will be hailed as the great new thing even though every other phone brand has had it for years... You'll see it widely adopted after iphone 6.

Nope, didn't happen (the hailed as the next big thing thing)
    Apple Pay did though.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 10-29-14 at 10:01 AM.
    10-29-14 09:25 AM
    Android, BlackBerry, and Windows phone features all build off/resemble/reflect the capabilities of what the IPhone did in that legendary show hosted by Steve Jobs.
    You seem to mistake "capabilities" and "features" with "UI".

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 09:46 AM
    If there wasn't an iPhone we wouldn't have mp3 or cameras or video player or colour screens and we would still be tethered to bbry bis not to mention still be using edge phones

Lazardis said we didn't need those options he changed his tune shortly after storms release
    He even called the iPhone a "toy"
    Posted via CrackBerry App
    Lol. There were phones with cameras, mp3 player and color screens waaaaay before the original iPhone. Are you insane?

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 09:51 AM
    Iphone doesn't appeal to me, but I have respect for the company, because it has drastically changed the market.

If Steve Jobs wasn't born, we were still using all that massproduced Nokia phones here in Europe. And you people from America had used the old BlackBerry devices with small screens, bad browsers whatever.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 10:02 AM
    That was either Nokia, Palm or Microsoft (Most probably Nokia with their communicator though).
    Pick one of them please.

And sadly, another misconception...
    Yes, capacitive touchscreens would happen anyhow, but that wasn't Apple actual innovation.

Their innovation was iOS itself, and making an OS perfectly usable with your fingers, instead of a stylus or buttons.

And again, it's not about the touchscreen itself.
    It's about the way you interact with it, through the OS, the UI and the GUI.

That was the innovation and nobody thought of that before them.
    (remember the early Android phones being BlackBerry copies?)

It's not like they totally revolutionised the way we interact with phones...
    Oh! Actually, they did!
    Please inform yourself more about the so called smartphone history. Thanks.

No BlackBerry didn't.
    BlackBerry invented a way for you to get your Emails in real time, and that was it.
    The smartphone, and the smartphone market was already existant before.

Which is a part of their innovation called iOS.
    You Sir, studied some smartphone history.

Wrong.
    Nobody did the move Apple made:
    Make a phone with an OS that is perfectly usable only with your fingers.

Also: Pretty much every Nokia phone after 200x (I don't want to look it up, but they had it long before the iPhone had it) had the ff camera as well.
    Just like Samsung.

Nope, didn't happen (the hailed as the next big thing thing)
    Apple Pay did though.

Posted via CB10
    Well it's a good thing you showed up to set everybody straight!
    10-29-14 08:26 PM
    Not a year before the iPhone, MANY years before. Multi-touch was invented in like the 80's. (but not on phones)....i could be wrong (& probably am) but I think it was LG who first put multi-touch on a phone....a very ugly phone (I've seen pictures)

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. From the 80's. xD

Hehehe
    10-31-14 08:29 AM
    I'm almost 100% that you're completely joking. I'm pretty sure mp3s, cameras, video player and color screens (all together on a mobile device), preceded the first iPhone.

As for BIS and data efficiency, RIM (at that point), had basically been built around the sole purpose of making the most data efficient communication possible given the very limited mobile data channels available. Apple on the other hand, didn't give a sh*t and promptly proceeded to bring AT&T's network to its knees.

I don't know how any of that shines a positive light on Apple...
    No Phi is not joking. He is dead serious!

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 09:38 AM
    I don't worship any brand, I buy what is best for me at the time. Who did what and when is irrelevant to me, it won't change my decision or my bank balance.
    The owner of the patents get the royalty payment, not me.
    Being first isn't always best, the guy that invented the bobby pin didn't make much, the guy that covered the ends in plastic and patented it made millions.

Z30 144GB
    10-31-14 07:10 PM
    1992 Simons Co had on of the first smartphones.

It is hard to argue that IBM was not the inventor of the smartphone. The Simon, introduced in 1992, was truly the original. You would hardly consider the Simon powerful by�today?s�standards, but it did incorporate many features that were way ahead of its time. I remember seeing one of these in Atlanta after I graduated from college. It was an eye opening experience.

The Simon?s innovations included a touchscreen, contacts, calendar and pager. You could even email (albeit awkwardly) and fax to and from it. Any of this sound familiar? Lets look at some of the other key features of our pocket jewels and see who invented them.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 09:43 PM
143 ... 456