These 1080p devices with quad cores, what do we think their max battery life will be?

Will it be similar to Z30 or closer to the Z10 or worse?

The reason I ask is that I recently got the Z30 and I really feel that this is a good balance. Battery lasts all day and I use this phone a lot. I have over 20 accounts running through this!

Size is ok, a bit too big for me, but is fine. I think the screen is fine, not as clear as the z10 but perfectly fine for emails etc.

As for 10.3 someone must know something! Spill the beans, what goodies are we rumoured to get? I just want a clue!

Posted via CB10
    02-07-14 06:41 PM
    Ontario is actually rumored to be larger than the Z30 at 5.2", so if z30 is too big than this is bigger. I'm not sure why they are constantly changing screen sizes but for me z10 is a better feel and size for me. Just my opinion
    02-07-14 06:50 PM
    Also, the specs that are rumoured to be running in the phone are already in others - the GS4 for example - so we already know battery life is really really good.

If anything, it should be better than the gs4 as bb10 can be quite lean.

Either way, should be on par with the gs4 at least.

As a sidenote, the new 805 snapdragons should be hitting new phones soon, so even though this tech (in the Ontario) is older tech: it's proven tech, and it's been proven to be good! Im excited!!!!!

Sent from Tapatalk
    02-07-14 06:58 PM
    I'm disappointed at the 2GB RAM, at least 3GB.

Post via my AWESOME Q10! BBM Channel: C12140D
    02-07-14 07:00 PM
    The thing is, would 3gb be necessary? The Galaxy note 3 has 3gb and can have two apps running on the screen at once, with background processes.

Bb10 doesn't do tha, it cant.

I think 2gb is what it requires, to have 8 active frames... Though toy may be on to something! 3gb could, perhaps, allow for more headless apps and active frames to run concurrently. That might be useful

Sent from Tapatalk
    02-07-14 07:08 PM
    Also, the specs that are rumoured to be running in the phone are already in others - the GS4 for example - so we already know battery life is really really good.

If anything, it should be better than the gs4 as bb10 can be quite lean.

Either way, should be on par with the gs4 at least.

As a sidenote, the new 805 snapdragons should be hitting new phones soon, so even though this tech (in the Ontario) is older tech: it's proven tech, and it's been proven to be good! Im excited!!!!!

Sent from Tapatalk
    specs are in the note3 and nexus 5 the SGS4 has a snapdragon 600 clocked at 1.9 GHz
    Poirots Progeny and Nharzhool like this.
    02-07-14 07:49 PM
    The thing is, would 3gb be necessary? The Galaxy note 3 has 3gb and can have two apps running on the screen at once, with background processes.

I think 2gb is what it requires, to have 8 active frames... Though toy may be on to something! 3gb could, perhaps, allow for more headless apps and active frames to run concurrently. That might be useful

Sent from Tapatalk
    i'm sure id BB coded it it could but they haven't, i personally feel thats just a novalty thing to do, i used to have dual monitors simply because i had an extra one kicking around, but frankly its pointless, once one of the monitors kicked the bucket i stopped and never even noticed it missing
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    02-07-14 07:53 PM
    02-07-14 07:58 PM
    When having a lot of tabs open my Z30 often has to reload older tabs when I go back to them. So 3GB would be welcome.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-14 08:47 PM
    I'm disappointed at the 2GB RAM, at least 3GB.

Why exactly?
    02-07-14 08:55 PM
    Why exactly?
    The more the better.

02-07-14 08:57 PM
    The Galaxy note 3 has 3gb and can have two apps running on the screen at once, with background processes.

For my own curiosity, can you switch the multitasking between apps running and apps pausing, like on the PlayBook?
    02-07-14 08:58 PM
    The issue with battery life has a lot to do with the OS missing a few hardware acceleration implementations.

That goes all the way back to the Playbook with a AIR UI --- no native UI using all the GPU hardware acceleration. No hardware acceleration means it is running in software and it is going to suck battery life.

Then we got BB10 with native Cascades UI --- but the Android runtime doesn't have GPU hardware acceleration. Again battery life suffers.

Then we got BB OS 10.2.1 last week with Android runtime GPU hardware acceleration.

Now with Ontario, the GPU hardware supports OpenGL ES 3.0 --- but BB OS 10.2.1 doesn't support OpenGL ES 3.0. Battery suffers when you don't utilize every single hardware acceleration options available. User experience also suffers when OS software doesn't utilize all the hardware's capability (i.e. FM radio).

We don't know what's in BB OS 10.3 --- but I hope that it includes OpenGL ES 3.0.
    02-07-14 09:20 PM
    I hope this device sees the light of day. I switched from Z10 back to keyboard on a Q10. As much as I love my keyboard and the Q10, seeing 10.2 on the Z30 looked fantastic. With a 1080p screen I might be enticed to give full touch another kick at the can. Ontario was the code name for the full touch, what was the code name for the new Qwert, was it Windsor? I thought John Chen said only a high end Qwerty and Jakarta are in the works. So has the Ontario been cancelled? Would be a shame, seems nice and having a BlackBerry on par with a GS4 even though GS5 is around the corner would be nice.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-14 09:20 PM
    Don't care about the RAM 2gb is enough. BlackBerry better up the hard drive though.

Posted via CB10
    koves and justsomebbuser like this.
    02-07-14 09:33 PM
    You guys should shut up with 2gb being enough, because even with 2GB you barely have 700mb free. And with more apps becoming headless, we might ran out of memory without even knowing it.
    Plus a 32 and 64gb of the Ontario will be very welcome.
    Since last year, people have claimed Dual core to be more than enough and now that specs about Quad core have been leaked, we're droolin all over it.

Classic CB mentality.

Rant over. No hard feelings

Z30 : No more peasants battery life
    Gerii, rai187, edu3110 and 2 others like this.
    02-07-14 10:05 PM
    but BB OS 10.2.1 doesn't support OpenGL ES 3.0.
    Hmm, then wikis got it wrong as they state that Z30 with 10.2 support OpenGL ES 3.0.
    02-07-14 10:13 PM
    One thing we have learned is that speed, throughput and RAM always increase.

Programs get bigger more complex and useful.

Computer 101.

CB10 via Verizon Z10. 10.2.1.1925
    02-07-14 10:31 PM
    i'm sure id BB coded it it could but they haven't, i personally feel thats just a novalty thing to do, i used to have dual monitors simply because i had an extra one kicking around, but frankly its pointless, once one of the monitors kicked the bucket i stopped and never even noticed it missing
    They have. This feature is in future releases.
    02-07-14 11:18 PM
    Whoever is saying no need for more ram or a quadcore are short sighted

Ya, my Commodore 64 ran fine as well.. if we never progressed past 'skate or die'

Posted by a leaky CB10.1
    randall2580 likes this.
    02-07-14 11:21 PM
    It's a prototype doesn't mean you will ever see it and doubt it's a final revision
    02-07-14 11:50 PM

Sent from Tapatalk
    Good point on the headless apps. Time will tell.

Subscribe to Tri County Catering and Party Idea Channel. Pin #C00123065
    02-08-14 01:57 AM
    Ontario is actually rumored to be larger than the Z30 at 5.2", so if z30 is too big than this is bigger. I'm not sure why they are constantly changing screen sizes but for me z10 is a better feel and size for me. Just my opinion
    I also don't like the constant change in phone sizes either. I hope this doesn't start the trend in increasing the screen for every new phone. IMO having a small and large is all they need for slab phones. Once they find the ideal screen size that most people like in small and large then they should stay with those sizes or create a new category if they want a different size. Don't discontinue the current sizes that people like.

I'm hoping for a Z30 mini in the size of the Z10 to be released with Ontario. I'll be very disappointed if they don't update the Z10 in the future.

In regards to the faster processor, the battery life is more important to me so as long as it doesn't reduce battery life too much.
    Thesmartmale likes this.
    02-08-14 03:06 AM
    I agree with those who say that the 2GB Ram needs to be increased. I've noticed on my phone that I'm using quite a bit of that 2GB & I've seen screenshots from other people that show them using up almost all of their ram. Sure the phones can handle it now, but in the near future that's going to be an issue as programs get bigger & people install more & more headless apps.
    DJM626 and Mazokun like this.
    02-08-14 03:17 AM
    Does anyone know what form factor the Ontario will have? I know a large screen is rumoured but that doesn't preclude a slider of some description.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.1925 O2 UK
    02-08-14 03:41 AM
88 123 ...