Yes, after the update, we all were longing for android apps as if were lacking any, I just found out that I only use shazam (not that sound hound is bad) other than that, there is nothing more I want. True there is Netflix, but I doubt I could finish a movie from a phone, especially blackberry. Is it me or Android platform is full of useless apps?

Posted via CB10
    daithiD likes this.
    02-08-14 03:35 PM
    Lol this thread may go nowhere fast

CLICK HERE To Join My Music & Poetry Channel. Please&Thanks.
    02-08-14 03:41 PM
    I'll entertain this a bit ... what one define as useless may not be for others, just keep that in mind ...
    Kaye_max008 and ajst222 like this.
    02-08-14 03:43 PM
    I had an android years sgo, and found the app store to be a jumbled mess. Now, having used Blackberry World for the few apps I need I appreciate how well set out it is, and how nice it is just to have a few of each app for choice. I've never seen the need to have 1000apps that all do the same thing....1000 weather apps....1000 music apps...etc etc. Ok, I perhaps exagerate, but you know what I mean. I think the only real thing missing in Blackberry World are UK banking apps....which could probably be got now in Amazon app store.....but as I only do 'made for Blackberry' with few exceptions I am quite happy to wait for bank apps
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-08-14 03:44 PM
    Just that I was anticipating so much, experiencing newer things etc. But nada

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 03:51 PM
    Yes, after the update, we all were longing for android apps as if were lacking any, I just found out that I only use shazam (not that sound hound is bad) other than that, there is nothing more I want. True there is Netflix, but I doubt I could finish a movie from a phone, especially blackberry. Is it me or Android platform is full of useless apps?

Posted via CB10
    Its you. There is a thread already on CB called Essential Android Apps. While I don't use too many, I use Instagram and Words with Friends EVERY DAY. Those are essential to me.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-08-14 03:56 PM
    It's not just you, although I wasn't anticipating any android apps that I wanted anyway. I did sideload snap so I would know about the process. Then I downloaded National Geographic (which is an app I'd happily pay for, but sadly we only get it in Spanish in BlackBerry World). The app wanted too many permissions so I promptly deleted it.

That's pretty much been it for my foray into android apps on my BlackBerry. I use Google play on my kids tabs, and my husband's phone to see what's available and so far nothing has tweaked my interest enough to bother opening snap. I noticed it has a new update and I'll probably just end up deleting it.

Not that I don't think it can be a good thing for the people who have must have apps and they aren't on BlackBerry. There's just nothing I need bad enough to bother loading an android app for. I'd rather see more native development come to BlackBerry - or at the very least see that the developer has made an effort to port the app.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 04:12 PM
    I loaded up the big essential apps that BlackBerry was always bashed for missing.....instagram, Snapchat, netflix, etc....i kept netflix but deleted the social apps after I saw they work. I personally don't use them, but my son on his z30 appreciates Snapchat, Instagram that I know of. The funny thing is I have yet to use Netflix on my phone. Anyhow, what I do appreciate is the ability to get apps for manufactured devices.....eg NUUO, Panasonic etc.....those apps will never see BlackBerry World. So yes, having Android apps definitely add to the BlackBerry experience for some.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 04:12 PM
    One thing to add. If there is not a BlackBerry App, run the website on a BB10 device. Eg bank sites. Most will run just like an app. Put the bookmark on your homepage. It looks just like an app icon. It is because BB10 devices run HTML 5 like a dream.

Posted via CB10
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    02-08-14 04:15 PM
    One thing to add. If there is not a BlackBerry App, run the website on a BB10 device. Eg bank sites. Most will run just like an app. Put the bookmark on your homepage. It looks just like an app icon. It is because BB10 devices run HTML 5 like a dream.

Posted via CB10
    USELESS SUGGESTION....Try that with Instagram or Words with Friends.
    bbq10l likes this.
    02-08-14 04:22 PM
    How do u download Snapchat on BlackBerry z10? Help

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 04:22 PM
    here the apps that I am using from Google store that are not available on Blackberry world
    1.Vine
    2. Odnoklassniki
    3. Shazam
    4. JetBlue
    5. A1plus
    6. RFERL
    7. FotMob (even though it is available on Blackberry world it is version with very limited options)
    8. Samsung Smart washer app
    9. Speedtest.net app
    10. Google drive app
    11. Ring Central
    12. Mail Chimp
    13. UPS
    14 FedEx
    15. Capitol One
    16. Citibank
    17. Amex
    18. Discover
    19. Bestbuy
    20. Chase
    21. Xplore FCU
    22. Parking Armenia
    I am sure the list is huge if every Crackberry member would share his list.
    P.S.
    If you don't use something it dose not mean that it is not useful for the others.
    ajst222 likes this.
    02-08-14 04:41 PM
    I look for specific applications. (ie. QR&Bar scanner)
    02-08-14 04:55 PM
    Well Denise.....capitalization and useless is a little harsh. There have been some entries by the community on whether using banking apps from android that are not direct from Google Play may not be trust worthy to them. Now not everyone is willing to side load snap......Instagram etc would require the App. I actually run many websites in such a way. Not sure if you understand HTML 5 usage, and the number of developers that are beginning to program using it. But if you read up on it, you may not capitalize the word useless next time.

Posted via CB10
    zocster likes this.
    02-08-14 05:06 PM
    I have to say, some android app runs better than their android port counterpart from BBW ... The Score and Flipboard are the ones I got... I deleted the ones from BBW ...
    02-08-14 05:12 PM
    Well Denise.....capitalization and useless is a little harsh. There have been some entries by the community on whether using banking apps from android that are not direct from Google Play may not be trust worthy to them. Now not everyone is willing to side load snap......Instagram etc would require the App. I actually run many websites in such a way. Not sure if you understand HTML 5 usage, and the number of developers that are beginning to program using it. But if you read up on it, you may not capitalize the word useless next time.

Posted via CB10
    Don't expect us to sugar coat replies to useless comments. If you read up on all the apps that cannot be run via the BlackBerry browser, you might understand the situation better.

Posted via the Diva's BlackBerry Z10.
    02-08-14 06:01 PM

Posted via CB10
    Don't expect us to sugar coat replies to useless comments. If you read up on all the apps that cannot be run via the BlackBerry browser, you might understand the situation better.

Posted via the Diva's BlackBerry Z10.
    ahemmm ... playbook007 did give an example of banking apps, which is true. Keep it civil please.
    Uzi likes this.
    02-08-14 06:20 PM

Posted via CB10
    OK , I will not capitalize. You can get the bank android app from the bank website. Bank apps are not the same as a website. An app will give you a notification. Again. Apps are not websites.
    02-08-14 06:28 PM
    Is it me or Android platform is full of useless apps?

Posted via CB10
    Sorry Kaye but Play has some real gems; to call them ALL useless is a very broad statement and flat out incorrect. Don't like .APKs then do not load them. Show me native that can replace now almost 100 android apps on my phone and I will but until then stop worrying about what I run on MY phone.
    02-08-14 06:43 PM
    For a very long time I have wanted the app that runs my Samsung Smart washer and dryer. Last night I downloaded it from the android store.

I bounced downstairs and set it up. Worked awesome. I then remarked "Cool "

For about a minute I was really happy. Then I thought, exactly why do I need to remotely turn on my washer and dryer. I have to physically put the clothes in them. I can just use the controls on the appliances.

Now I'm sitting wondering why I wanted that damned app so bad for over a year.

Same thing with other apps. I can have them now, so I have no desire for them.

For me it was more about not having the option than it was actually needing the app. Now I can have em, I don't want em.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 10:56 PM
    For a very long time I have wanted the app that runs my Samsung Smart washer and dryer. Last night I downloaded it from the android store.

I bounced downstairs and set it up. Worked awesome. I then remarked "Cool "

For about a minute I was really happy. Then I thought, exactly why do I need to remotely turn on my washer and dryer. I have to physically put the clothes in them. I can just use the controls on the appliances.

Now I'm sitting wondering why I wanted that damned app so bad for over a year.

Same thing with other apps. I can have them now, so I have no desire for them.

For me it was more about not having the option than it was actually needing the app. Now I can have em, I don't want em.

Posted via CB10
    True, but one person might find it useful, no matter how much I might not think of a reason.

It's like my Outback app on my SGIII and my iPhone....needed? Nah....useful? Yup. Especially with the Fast Reorder option.
    02-09-14 07:42 AM
    Well I think blackberry world is doing very well, now that we can peek on other ecosystem (android) and compare. There is nothing so much I was missing

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 08:57 AM
    Well I think blackberry world is doing very well, now that we can peek on other ecosystem (android) and compare. There is nothing so much I was missing

Posted via CB10
    I would agree but only on a personal level. I only have 2 apps from Google Play now and can easily live without them. I have spent a fair amount of time searching for others I'd want but haven't found anything yet. With that said, this is simply my use case scenario. There are many who use there phones in many different ways and some of those niche apps can be really useful to them. I believe the option to have them is great as we wait for BB10 to increase in users, enticing app development natively.
    02-09-14 09:07 AM