Oooooo man. WAIT a minute. You are talking about RIM here. They will put out phones in december that have specs that currenrt phones have. I wouldn't be suprised if they don't.
    Ah,,...

Yeah,,...

But the others are not Blackberry's

Am I on the wrong forum? It's Crackberry right?
    01-15-12 12:17 AM
    My 2 cents - In all the earning's calls, Mike Lazaridis has been clear that BB10 handsets will run on "dual core" processors, not "multi-core."

Personally, I think that they are waiting on the new dual core ARM A-15 chip that texas instruments was showing off at CES. It's supposed to be something like twice as fast as the chip in the NEXUS 1, at half the power consumption. And sticking with TI would make sense, since they built the chip for the playbook.
    I'm pretty sure they're going to go with one of Qualcomm's S4 dual-core chips. The new S4's are pretty nice. Their "Krait" architecture for the chips isbased off the Cortex A15 architecture. Which is almost twice as fast as the Cortex A9 that Apple's A6 is based off of.

So if RIM uses the S4 dual core, it would be the same thing as the A6. I'm predicting they're going to use that as marketing ploy for the iPhone 5.

But anyway, I also believe they will be going the the MSM8960 (S4 dual core chip), is because it'll also have alot of things built in like the radio, a wide spectrum LTE, Bluetooth, and a few other things. So it saves space and especially battery life.

And battery life is a high priority for RIM.
    01-15-12 02:08 AM
    I'm pretty sure they're going to go with one of Qualcomm's S4 dual-core chips. The new S4's are pretty nice. Their "Krait" architecture for the chips isbased off the Cortex A15 architecture. Which is almost twice as fast as the Cortex A9 that Apple's A6 is based off of.

So if RIM uses the S4 dual core, it would be the same thing as the A6. I'm predicting they're going to use that as marketing ploy for the iPhone 5.

But anyway, I also believe they will be going the the MSM8960 (S4 dual core chip), is because it'll also have alot of things built in like the radio, a wide spectrum LTE, Bluetooth, and a few other things. So it saves space and especially battery life.

And battery life is a high priority for RIM.
    But the 8960 was released last year, right (according to Wikipedia)? RIM said they were waiting on a new chip, and that's why BB10 is delayed. Then shouldn't they use (or be using) a chip that will be released later this year?

Maybe the OMAP 4470 or 5430?
    Last edited by FlashFlare11; 01-15-12 at 03:04 AM.
    01-15-12 02:50 AM
    My 2 cents - In all the earning's calls, Mike Lazaridis has been clear that BB10 handsets will run on "dual core" processors, not "multi-core."

Personally, I think that they are waiting on the new dual core ARM A-15 chip that texas instruments was showing off at CES. It's supposed to be something like twice as fast as the chip in the NEXUS 1, at half the power consumption. And sticking with TI would make sense, since they built the chip for the playbook.
    But the 8960 was released last year, right (according to Wikipedia)? RIM said they were waiting on a new chip, and that's why BB10 is delayed. Then shouldn't they use (or be using) a chip that will be released later this year?

Maybe the OMAP 4470 or 5430?
    It wasn't released. Still isn't released. ETA is first/second half of 2012 (it was supposed to be first I don't know if it got pushed back or what). It was unveiled last year though.

Yeah, the 8960 fits the description of the chip RIM is betting on.

Because the OMAP 5430 isn't going to be released til 2013.
    01-15-12 11:37 PM
    It wasn't released. Still isn't released. ETA is first/second half of 2012 (it was supposed to be first I don't know if it got pushed back or what). It was unveiled last year though.

Yeah, the 8960 fits the description of the chip RIM is betting on.

Because the OMAP 5430 isn't going to be released til 2013.
    Ok, then Wikipedia must be very wrong .

By your description, this chip seems very fast and very powerful. I hope so because BB10 needs to be both!
    01-15-12 11:41 PM
    What I see in Wikipedia is that 8960 sampling began in Q4 2011:
    | http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapdragon_(system_on_chip)

There is a long road from sampling to large production runs, especially when there is a process change (this generation will be the first QualComm chips at 28nm).

See my previous post here for an argument that you would first see small production runs for such devices as Android tablets before you could have the large scale 8960 production needed for a BlackBerry phone:
    | http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...ml#post6948585
    01-16-12 02:54 AM
    FYI, OMAP 5 early samples have been sent to "very specific" customers early this year. Hopefully RIM is one of them.
    house78 likes this.
    01-16-12 01:30 PM
    Ok, then Wikipedia must be very wrong .

By your description, this chip seems very fast and very powerful. I hope so because BB10 needs to be both!
    I'm hoping it is! But that's not what I meant to convey, lol. It's more about power consumption with having everything on the chip. Like LTE, Bluetooth, wifi, cellular radios, etc. So that frees up alot of space in the phone itself. Plus conserves plenty of power.

But I truly am hoping Qualcomm's chip is as powerful as the Tegra 3 if not more.

And I read somewhere OMAP 5's aren't set to be released until early 2013. So I doubt it could be that.

If you read through the link that VerryBestr posted. That has a lot of information on the chips.
    Last edited by mithrazor; 01-16-12 at 03:03 PM.
    01-16-12 03:00 PM
    I'm hoping it is! But that's not what I meant to convey, lol. It's more about power consumption with having everything on the chip. Like LTE, Bluetooth, wifi, cellular radios, etc. So that frees up alot of space in the phone itself. Plus conserves plenty of power.

But I truly am hoping Qualcomm's chip is as powerful as the Tegra 3 if not more.

And I read somewhere OMAP 5's aren't set to be released until early 2013. So I doubt it could be that.

If you read through the link that VerryBestr posted. That has a lot of information on the chips.
    Thanks to you and VerryBestr for correctly informing me! I'm still new to learning about phone hardware and there's a lot I want to learn.

You were absolutely correct about the Qualcomm chip RIM is waiting for, according to the new news from S4BB.

If the power conservation coupled with LTE is what RIM waiting for, could it be possible that Apple uses something similar in their next iPhone, leaving the quad-core A6 for the iPad 3?
    01-16-12 06:12 PM
    Thanks to you and VerryBestr for correctly informing me! I'm still new to learning about phone hardware and there's a lot I want to learn.

You were absolutely correct about the Qualcomm chip RIM is waiting for, according to the new news from S4BB.

If the power conservation coupled with LTE is what RIM waiting for, could it be possible that Apple uses something similar in their next iPhone, leaving the quad-core A6 for the iPad 3?
    From what I've gathered, they're going to use the A6 which is in the iPad 3, for the iPhone 5. But they're just going to end up getting the LTE chip from another manufacturer.

If they have a 1.5Ghz quad-core processor. It would be the (closely) equivalent to having the Qualcomm dual core 1.5Ghz chip.

That's from my understanding anyway. Someone can correct if I'm wrong.
    01-17-12 08:39 PM
    source BGR :
    At the Consumer Electronics Show on Thursday, Texas Instruments showed off the company�s OMAP 5 chipset in a reference platform running Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. The 28nm system on a chip (SOC) features a dual-core ARM Cortex A15 CPU, 2MB L2 cache, a PowerVR SGX 544MP2 GPU and a dual-channel LPDDR2-533 memory interface. The OMAP 5 supports 24 and 20-megapixel cameras for front and rear 3D HD video recording. It also supports up to 8GB of dual channel DDR3 memory, and includes 3 USB 2.0 ports and a SATA 2.0 controller. �This is the greatest platform on Earth right now� way ahead of Apple, and it�s the first Cortex-A15 (which runs 2x faster than the Cortex-A9) product on the market,� Texas Instruments vice president Remi El-Ouazzane told Engadget. �When running two Cortex-A15 chips at 800MHz, it�s more or less the same performance as running two Cortex-A9s at 1.5GHz. We�re working on multiple form factors � tablets, thin-and-lights � and we think ARM is going to bring tablets to the masses.� The first devices featuring the OMAP 5 chipset aren�t expected to ship until late 2012 or early 2013
    01-18-12 02:46 AM
    So is this this chip they've been waiting for? An I agree with an earlierbposter saying making the device future proof by going quad core should be what RIM should be aiming to do. That's the only reason why I would still be waiting.
    01-18-12 03:53 AM
    Quad core would future proof for at least 3-4 years and make BB10 phones upgradeable for years, It would be a bold statement to throw in a quad core..
    01-18-12 05:35 AM
    Quad core would future proof for at least 3-4 years and make BB10 phones upgradeable for years, It would be a bold statement to throw in a quad core..
    And something they've rarely done which is a plus in my book. PITA to have to keep buying new handsets because my older one is EOLd and can't be updated to the new OS.
    01-18-12 08:53 AM
    lol u guys know that even with a quad core device they'll still only support it for a year or 2. manufacturers will always find a way to get you to upgrade
    01-18-12 01:56 PM
    So is this this chip they've been waiting for? An I agree with an earlierbposter saying making the device future proof by going quad core should be what RIM should be aiming to do. That's the only reason why I would still be waiting.
    If they don't come out with quad cores. Just know the chips they will be using will have the same performance as you'd expect from a quad core (out right now and the ones Apple will be using).
    01-18-12 03:39 PM
    And TI will provide quad-cores Cortex A15 for end-2013 as well. But a dual core A15 is definately more than enough for a phone, quad-A15 dedicated to high-end tablet
    01-19-12 05:03 AM
    Amazing! can't wait..
    01-23-12 06:19 AM
    I hope bb10 comes with a quad core, it doesnt need it but it will be good to have, iphone only has a dual and they seem to preform fast but im a iphone hater hahaha, i just dont like them, if bb10 comes out with that new quad core ill be buying two of them!
    01-16-13 06:17 PM
    I hope bb10 comes with a quad core, it doesnt need it but it will be good to have, iphone only has a dual and they seem to preform fast but im a iphone hater hahaha, i just dont like them, if bb10 comes out with that new quad core ill be buying two of them!
    Wow man.... way to resurect a year old thread... hahaha.... But sorry to tell you, the new phones at release will not have quad core.
    01-16-13 06:22 PM
    Wow man.... way to resurect a year old thread... hahaha.... But sorry to tell you, the new phones at release will not have quad core.
    Don't be sorry, the new phones are crazy fast as it is. Assuming the processor is similar to or better than the ones in the Dev Alpha A
    01-16-13 09:09 PM
    Don't be sorry, the new phones are crazy fast as it is. Assuming the processor is similar to or better than the ones in the Dev Alpha A
    Didn't mean it as a "sad to say" scenario. Guess I could have elaborated a little on that.
    01-16-13 09:22 PM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD