Hardware specs are only half of the story when it comes to mobile devices. The fusion of the hardware and software is the key to performance. This is why the iPhone can perform as well or nearly as well as the top end Android devices that blow it away in hardware specs.
    01-11-12 09:23 AM
    Andoid and ios don't perform the same because they don't do the same thing. Mobile safari does not allow an upload/download button on the browser, android does. Android supports flash. So if you want to say they "perform" the same, I agree in a very narrow sense of the word. But they really don't have the same performance, because one has lesser capabilities than another.
    BoldtotheMax likes this.
    01-11-12 09:32 AM
    this is what RIM needs to survive. is it overkill YES. it is not really needed for the avg user YES. but like ive been saying they need something that is at the top of the spec market for BB10 to survive being launched around the same time as the iPhone 5
    01-11-12 09:35 AM
    this is what RIM needs to survive. is it overkill YES. it is not really needed for the avg user YES. but like ive been saying they need something that is at the top of the spec market for BB10 to survive being launched around the same time as the iPhone 5
    The problem with overkill in one area, is it causes compromises in others. Would a quad-core at X GHz require a larger battery compared to the same technology in a dual-core at a slower speed? Or would it have less battery life?
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-11-12 09:52 AM
    Andoid and ios don't perform the same because they don't do the same thing. Mobile safari does not allow an upload/download button on the browser, android does. Android supports flash. So if you want to say they "perform" the same, I agree in a very narrow sense of the word. But they really don't have the same performance, because one has lesser capabilities than another.
    In ICS, I might start to agree. But before ICS, have you tried making a list of items (like a news feed for example) scroll at better than 30fps in Android? And even with ICS, it's still much harder than iOS, where even 50 fps is easily achievable even while you are loading a bunch of stories in the background.

The VM and GC do add overhead to Android compared to iOS with it's bare metal code and no GC. It's really hard to spin that. They did choose to make a performance tradeoff there to attract a broader range of developers.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 01-11-12 at 09:56 AM.
    01-11-12 09:54 AM
    In ICS, I might start to agree. But before ICS, have you tried making a list of items (like a news feed for example) scroll at better than 30fps in Android? And even with ICS, it's still much harder than iOS, where even 50 fps is easily achievable even while you are loading a bunch of stories in the background.

The VM and GC do add overhead to Android compared to iOS with it's bare metal code and no GC. It's really hard to spin that. They did choose to make a performance tradeoff there to attract a broader range of developers.
    What you say may be true, but I would rather have a broader capability on a mobile device at less speed than a narrower capability at more speed.

On 3G the ipad is a very frustrating device in general to use. Wireless it's better.
    01-11-12 10:02 AM
    As awesome as I think this would be, I don't believe it's necessary for any BlackBerry to have a quad-core chipset, at least, not yet.

My Torch 9810 on BB7 runs great with a 1.2 GHz single-core processor. My sister's iPhone 3GS runs extremely smoothly on a 600 MHz processor.

Android, as others have said, isn't optimized. Therefore, the faster processors are necessary to maintain the improvements.

I doubt even the next iteration of the iPhone isn't going to be running a quad-core processor. Apple wouldn't sacrifice the battery life for the power. I don't think RIM would do it either, with BB10 already having great battery life on the PlayBook.

But, RIM really is doing this, I think it would be amazing if they can conserve battery life while maitaining the power.
    01-11-12 04:29 PM
    As awesome as I think this would be, I don't believe it's necessary for any BlackBerry to have a quad-core chipset, at least, not yet.

My Torch 9810 on BB7 runs great with a 1.2 GHz single-core processor. My sister's iPhone 3GS runs extremely smoothly on a 600 MHz processor.

Android, as others have said, isn't optimized. Therefore, the faster processors are necessary to maintain the improvements.
    Android is now GPU accelerated so it should be better. And the specs Gingerbread ran at can run ICS better. (This is my guess anyway.)

Also the 9810 is a whole nother platform. By judging how the Playbook runs on a dual core 1Ghz. It can be smoothed out by running on a quad core.

I don't know if you've used an iPhone 4/4S or Galaxy SII. But those phones are SMOOTH (the SII especially). When I used a 3GS recently, I noticed lag that I didn't at first.

And just because it runs at those specs doesn't mean they shouldn't push the limits for their next offering. That's the mentality that got them in this place they are at now.

The problem with overkill in one area, is it causes compromises in others. Would a quad-core at X GHz require a larger battery compared to the same technology in a dual-core at a slower speed? Or would it have less battery life?
    I heard that quad cores processors are more efficient with power consumption. Like if a core isn't being used, it can be shut off to not consume power.

Granted using all 4 cores at max will drink more power. But if you're not playing games. You should be fine.

Plus why limit the specs if the technology is out there? Especially if it's more beneficial than crippling. Might as well use it. It'll work in their favor.

Android's coming out with quad cores starting from the beginning of this year. And if RIM is releasing their phone in the second half. I think they should use it.

My 2 cent.
    01-11-12 05:56 PM
    Android is now GPU accelerated so it should be better. And the specs Gingerbread ran at can run ICS better. (This is my guess anyway.)

Also the 9810 is a whole nother platform. By judging how the Playbook runs on a dual core 1Ghz. It can be smoothed out by running on a quad core.

I don't know if you've used an iPhone 4/4S or Galaxy SII. But those phones are SMOOTH (the SII especially). When I used a 3GS recently, I noticed lag that I didn't at first.

And just because it runs at those specs doesn't mean they shouldn't push the limits for their next offering. That's the mentality that got them in this place they are at now.
    I understand what you're saying. I'm just impressed that the iPhone 3GS, with a 600 MHz processor, could run that smoothly.

I've used both the SGSII and the 4S and both are extremely impressive.

I agree that RIM not taking advantage of the latest technology is part of the reason why they are facing their current situation. However, I'm of the belief that BlackBerry 10 phones can have every improvement in the world, but it should still have the same positive qualities of a BlackBerry, and that includes battery life. If quad-cores do as you say they do, and can shut off cores that aren't being used for power conservation, and can last a day on a single charge, then I would be thrilled if RIM used them.

I don't know if this is relevant, but has everyone heard of the Sony Ericsson Xperia Ion? What troubled me the most about this phone was that it is being released in Q2 2012 with similar specs (1.5 GHz dual-core LTE chipset, 12 megapixel camera, etc.) to what the first BB10 phone is rumored have, except that BB10 will be coming in Q3/Q4 2012. This would be a great reason for RIM to wait and take advantage of the latest tech as soon as it arrives.

I just want to state that I don't really believe that specs determine the usability of a phone. But, consumers are becoming more tech-savvy and are paying closer attention than ever to specs. Sure, for us BlackBerry fans, specs never mattered a great deal to us anyway. However, in order for RIM to properly compete with Android, as well as Apple and Microsoft/Nokia and win over new customers, they need to start pushing their specs up, so long as the practicality of the phone isn't compromised.
    Last edited by FlashFlare11; 01-11-12 at 06:19 PM.
    01-11-12 06:15 PM
    I understand what you're saying. I'm just impressed that the iPhone 3GS, with a 600 MHz processor, could run that smoothly.

I've used both the SGSII and the 4S and both are extremely impressive.

I agree that RIM not taking advantage of the latest technology is part of the reason why they are facing their current situation. However, I'm of the belief that BlackBerry 10 phones can have every improvement in the world, but it should still have the same positive qualities of a BlackBerry, and that includes battery life. If quad-cores do as you say they do, and can shut off cores that aren't being used for power conservation, and can last a day on a single charge, then I would be thrilled if RIM used them.
    Oh okay. Well, if people cared about how smart phones ran based on their specs and not just look at straight up specs. I'd have no problem using a dual-core. lol

Well I still don't, but if a quad core is possible. I'd love to see it. Also the new GPUs in the new chips. They have came a LONG way. Qualcomm's touting Xbox360/PS3 like graphics (early game graphics I'm assuming). But that's impressive on a phone.

I'm not holding my breath for a quad core. But I'd love to see one. Seeing how Apple might be having a quad core for their A6 if the rumor is to be true.
    01-11-12 07:38 PM
    omg lets aim for some uber phone that can do dna testing on the go over the phone people now we need it!
    01-12-12 11:01 AM
    I think it will be 1.2 Ghz dual core. But don't forget BB doesn't need that much processing power like Android. well, of course faster is better but it also is a battery drainer
    01-14-12 05:24 AM
    Please please please RIM, dual core OMAP 5 and no other SoC. You have to be the first to propose Cortex A15 and TI is the must. This is the best investment they could do for both smartphone and tablet.
    01-14-12 02:26 PM
    Oh okay. Well, if people cared about how smart phones ran based on their specs and not just look at straight up specs. I'd have no problem using a dual-core. lol

Well I still don't, but if a quad core is possible. I'd love to see it. Also the new GPUs in the new chips. They have came a LONG way. Qualcomm's touting Xbox360/PS3 like graphics (early game graphics I'm assuming). But that's impressive on a phone.

I'm not holding my breath for a quad core. But I'd love to see one. Seeing how Apple might be having a quad core for their A6 if the rumor is to be true.
    You were right on about the A6 processor:
    Bloomberg: iPad 3's Rolling Off the Factory Lines With a Retina Display, Quad-Core A6 CPU and LTE

I'm somewhat surprised that Apple is going with quad-core processors, seeing as how they're quite careful with their battery life. But, if they've found a way to conserve battery life with a quad-core chip, then there's no reason why RIM can't do the same.

If Apple is using a quad-core chip in their next iPhone, then RIM needs to look into getting the latest, most efficient chipset for BlackBerry 10 phones. To the media, Apple sets the standard when it comes to smartphone tech. If RIM were to release a dual-core phone around the same time or even after Apple releases a quad-core phone, BB10 phones are already going to be considered outdated and underpowered. We won't care so much, but to most consumers, this could be a deal breaker.
    Last edited by FlashFlare11; 01-14-12 at 06:06 PM.
    01-14-12 06:01 PM
    Why does my phone need more power than my computer has
    01-14-12 06:44 PM
    The future is definetly in prompt software delivery. If future products get update intervals like the PB???
    01-14-12 06:52 PM
    Why does my phone need more power than my computer has
    Your comparing a mobile processor to a desktop processor?

Why?
    01-14-12 06:55 PM
    Your comparing a mobile processor to a desktop processor?

Why?
    Lol. The atom in the average netbook can run circles around most if not all of those processors. I agree. Not a comparison that can be made seriously. Lol.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
    01-14-12 07:31 PM
    My 2 cents - In all the earning's calls, Mike Lazaridis has been clear that BB10 handsets will run on "dual core" processors, not "multi-core."

Personally, I think that they are waiting on the new dual core ARM A-15 chip that texas instruments was showing off at CES. It's supposed to be something like twice as fast as the chip in the NEXUS 1, at half the power consumption. And sticking with TI would make sense, since they built the chip for the playbook.
    01-14-12 08:23 PM
    You were right on about the A6 processor:
    Bloomberg: iPad 3's Rolling Off the Factory Lines With a Retina Display, Quad-Core A6 CPU and LTE

I'm somewhat surprised that Apple is going with quad-core processors, seeing as how they're quite careful with their battery life. But, if they've found a way to conserve battery life with a quad-core chip, then there's no reason why RIM can't do the same.

If Apple is using a quad-core chip in their next iPhone, then RIM needs to look into getting the latest, most efficient chipset for BlackBerry 10 phones. To the media, Apple sets the standard when it comes to smartphone tech. If RIM were to release a dual-core phone around the same time or even after Apple releases a quad-core phone, BB10 phones are already going to be considered outdated and underpowered. We won't care so much, but to most consumers, this could be a deal breaker.
    really that isnt true. Not with hardware atleast. generally apple's processors are not the fastest out there. They have a fabulous and well developed OS that can take advantage of the lower speed processor and also use the video processor too. quad core wont be the standard by the end of this year in phones, even android will still have single, dual and quad all being developed at the same time. RIM just needs to get a nice dual core chip, LTE/HSPA/GSM/CDMA capable and get OS 10 done and relatively bug free.
    01-14-12 09:12 PM
    i walk around with a commador vic 20 in a wagon i pull around behind me

forn"mobility" - i park the wagon and grab a tiny chalkboard, some chalk, and a chalkboard eraser - two feet and a beartbeat allow me to "transmit" messages written in chalk on the tiny chalkboard, and i can take the messages with me anywhere

pretty decent coverage, i use a large umbrella when it rains
    01-14-12 09:20 PM
    really that isnt true. Not with hardware atleast. generally apple's processors are not the fastest out there. They have a fabulous and well developed OS that can take advantage of the lower speed processor and also use the video processor too. quad core wont be the standard by the end of this year in phones, even android will still have single, dual and quad all being developed at the same time. RIM just needs to get a nice dual core chip, LTE/HSPA/GSM/CDMA capable and get OS 10 done and relatively bug free.
    Apple really needs to be commended for their OS optimization. Like I said before, even BlackBerrys with 600 MHz processors weren't as smooth as the iPhone 3GS. Of course, Apple was also using graphics accelerators while RIM just started implementing them with OS 7.

I fully understand what you're saying. Perhaps I'm overrating the growth of quad-cores, at least, this year. As long as BB10 is optimized for a dual-core processor clocked around 1.2-1.5 GHz, it'll be competitive with whatever Apple and Samsung/Motorola/HTC put out. Nokia will also be making a push with Windows Phone 7, which, I must admit, looks very nice.

I really believe BlackBerry 10 is going to be revolutionary. If the navigation is just like the PlayBook (bezel gestures), then RIM will have taken away the need for front-facing physical buttons. The OS is extremely versatile and powerful. We could see integration on an entirely different level with what QNX can do.
    01-14-12 10:05 PM
    I would expect so. By the time these devices drop that should be the mainstream.
    01-14-12 10:13 PM
    Oooooo man. WAIT a minute. You are talking about RIM here. They will put out phones in december that have specs that currenrt phones have. I wouldn't be suprised if they don't.
    01-15-12 12:06 AM
    My 2 cents - In all the earning's calls, Mike Lazaridis has been clear that BB10 handsets will run on "dual core" processors, not "multi-core."

Personally, I think that they are waiting on the new dual core ARM A-15 chip that texas instruments was showing off at CES. It's supposed to be something like twice as fast as the chip in the NEXUS 1, at half the power consumption. And sticking with TI would make sense, since they built the chip for the playbook.
    That makes too much sense.
    01-15-12 12:14 AM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD