N4BB posted on Twitter today, suggesting that Qualcomm has a LTE enabled, 1.5 Ghz quad core processor/chipset which may be used in the new BB10 phones. Awesome? I think so!
    01-10-12 05:25 PM
    01-10-12 05:40 PM
    but next year this is again middle class hardware ;(
    01-10-12 05:41 PM
    1.5 dual core is fine. the galaxy nexus flies at clocked at 1.2 ghz
    01-10-12 06:09 PM
    although it is a dual core but it is built on 28nm architecture (the first of its kind in ARM based offerings) which means 30% less power consumption and 30% smaller in size and also it will have all the LTE, CDMA and GSM antennas embedded in it. This will enable any mobile manufacturer to make a phone less than 7mm in thickness.
    01-10-12 06:21 PM
    This will enable any mobile manufacturer to make a phone less than 7mm in thickness.
    Great. Make mine a double at 14mm for a battery that will last all week
    Lead_Express likes this.
    01-10-12 06:38 PM
    I don't care what it has aslong as it has good battery life, and is very functional!
    01-10-12 08:12 PM
    If true, that'd be amazing and future proofing it until their next offering comes out a year later.

Also would shut the haters up.

I'd love to see this, but rumors (to the regular internet surfing blog reader), kept saying BB10 phones are going to be dual core.
    01-10-12 08:23 PM
    I dont care if they are up to 3.5ghz with 30 minute talktime. Im happy
    RIM is concern about battery life the 1.5 dual will do just fine.
    Heck the playbook has a 1ghz dual core and its amazing with the help
    of QNX.
    I bet the 1.5 on the QNX BB10 will perform just as well as a 2ghz Android.
    JR A likes this.
    01-10-12 08:55 PM
    I bet the 1.5 on the QNX BB10 will perform just as well as a 2ghz Android.
    Don't be ridiculous. I'll bet it'll perform much better
    JR A and buwee like this.
    01-10-12 09:30 PM
    but next year this is again middle class hardware ;(
    Wait ... what?!?!
    01-10-12 09:59 PM
    Future proofing is something to consider for RIM to go quad core.

One way would be to launch the dual-core first for BoldX & TorchX (Torch variants maybe try including a horizontal KB slider) fulfilling the QWERTY and all-touch crowd while maintaining BB's battery life reputation.

Then take a chance by launching a limited edition quad core (Porche P9981-like exclusive) along with some innovative viral marketing and see what the uptake is on it while conceding battery life (RIM can throw in a free spare battery & charger in the box for your troubles ). If demand is there and people don't care about battery life like people with battery sucking Droids now, then start pushing it out gradually to carriers/retailers.

Finally comes the CurveX (dual-core by then will have reached economies of scale) to reach the masses looking for affordability.

You heard it here first folks. LOL
    bilalqwarriach likes this.
    01-10-12 10:01 PM
    they will call those phones Androidx
    blue-b likes this.
    01-10-12 10:05 PM
    I remember when the Galaxy Skyrocket first released and everyone was expecting better performance with it's 1.5ghz over the Galaxy S2's 1.2ghz.

Every benchmark (for whatever it's worth) with the Skyrocket actually scored below the GS2. On top of that, the Skyrocket had noticeable lag in areas where the GS2 breezed by with no problem.

From all the YouTube reviews and articles and forums I've read, people are much MUCH happier with the rendering and performance of the GS2 over the Skyrocket regardless of the lower spec'd hardware and even place the GS2 above the Skyrocket in terms of better overall user experience.

Long story short: as long as the new BB QNX delivers the goods, the specs are secondary...
    blue-b likes this.
    01-10-12 10:05 PM
    I remember when the Galaxy Skyrocket first released and everyone was expecting better performance with it's 1.5ghz over the Galaxy S2's 1.2ghz.

Every benchmark (for whatever it's worth) with the Skyrocket actually scored below the GS2. On top of that, the Skyrocket had noticeable lag in areas where the GS2 breezed by with no problem.

From all the YouTube reviews and articles and forums I've read, people are much MUCH happier with the rendering and performance of the GS2 over the Skyrocket regardless of the lower spec'd hardware and even place the GS2 above the Skyrocket in terms of better overall user experience.

Long story short: as long as the new BB QNX delivers the goods, the specs are secondary...
    When comparing specs..there is much more to it than just numbers. The GS2 Skyrocket at 1.5Ghz runs on the Qualcomm chipset..whereas the GS2 (1.2Ghz) runs on the Exynos chipset..which has proven far superior in most tests (and why the GS2 runs better in real world)
    01-10-12 10:19 PM
    Android phones have crazy processors because the Android software is poorly optimized. Look at how well the iPhone 4 performs with only a single core cpu.

A properly optimized OS is a much better solution than throwing more horsepower at the problem.
    01-10-12 10:33 PM
    If true, that'd be amazing and future proofing it until their next offering comes out a year later.

Also would shut the haters up.
    Yea right. Nothing will shut those idiots up. You could have a 24 Ghz CPU with 32 Cores and the apple fanbois would say "we don't need that many cores, it's too fast"
    01-10-12 10:47 PM
    I don't need my cell phone to be faster then my tablet and notebook eh

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-12 11:06 PM
    Good battery life depends on good code.

You can have the best hardware but it's no good for battery life if the code is inefficient.
    app_Developer likes this.
    01-10-12 11:14 PM
    can't win a spec war anyway, because it advances too fast

so what rim will do is deliver the "full package", or go "full monty" and let it all hang out, lmao - okay, seriously - manufactures shouldn't be fighting "spec wars", it is pointless because we just end up with a ton of garbage. it becomes qantity over quality, like 18 new android sets in a day? lmao, haha - i like rim's approach - because from what i saw with that native apps in 2.0, well - basically i didn't think an email client would actually be exciting until i saw what rim did with it

over all - good show, 2012 is kicking off to a very positive start! woohoo

peace
    01-10-12 11:20 PM
    a wise man once said, "never trust a fart you think might be wet, unless you're wearing 'ShartGuards™ by Depends�', then do all the sharting you want with confidence."

- me, buckwylder (far from wise)
    swiftex likes this.
    01-10-12 11:22 PM
    oh, btw, i am going to market with shartguards, i think it will be a huge hit amoungst the gaming crowd, like me and all my friends
    swiftex likes this.
    01-10-12 11:25 PM
    If the quad core is efficient then RIM should go for it or at least give it a try. RIM needs to match the competition pound for pound if they are once again going to compete in North America and it will put to bed the perception that RIM sells second grade hardware.

Rumour has it that the Apple A6 chip is quad core as well.
    01-11-12 01:39 AM
    And to add more fuel to the fire.

Qualcomm has announced details of its next-generation SnapDragon processors, known in consumer parlance as the S4 line. The MSM 8960 S4 chip, for example, will include dual-core processors that are integrated with a Long Term Evolution 4G baseband chip. Combining the processor with the baseband will reduce the footprint needed for these components within smartphones and tablets. The result, says Qualcomm, will be much thinner devices that have better battery life and fast 4G wireless performance. The S4 line will also be able to support 3D capture as well as HD 3D video playback; augmented reality and gesture-based applications; and device-maker programmable digital signal processing to offer better quality audio. According to Qualcomm, the S4 chips are already sampling to select hardware makers and are expected to hit store shelves in some smartphones and tablets as soon as early 2012. Qualcomm said that the highest end of the S4 range of chips -- the quad-core 8064 -- is still under development and is expected to reach the market during the second half of 2012.
    Qualcomm's S4 SnapDragon Chips Boast Two Cores and LTE (Phone Scoop)

Discretion: Take this with a grain of salt.
    01-11-12 03:10 AM
    soo, summer time the quad core chipset is released. rim puts it into thier new line of phones, and by late fall you have quad core bb10 devices in the market, just like rim said.

if they are showing off bb10 in feb at mwc, then they are atleast 70% finished and the few extra months will give them time to fine tune it all.

im hopeful for next xmas.
    01-11-12 03:30 AM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD