ZTE shipped 26m smartphones in H1, to launch 'secret product' developed by ex-Blackberry team | South China Morning Post

Does anyone know anymore info and what phones this ex-blackberry team was involved with? Hopefully not the passport.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-15 09:54 AM
    Will be fun to see what ex-BlackBerry employees can do when they aren't shackled to to that God awful corporate culture in Waterloo.

Posted via Z30
    howarmat and app_Developer like this.
    07-13-15 10:04 AM
    Will be fun to see what ex-BlackBerry employees can do when they are shackled by non-disclosure / non-compete agreements, and are subject to intellectual property, and patent laws.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    07-13-15 10:11 AM
    When I think BlackBerry and design..... I think keyboards. But I just can't see ZTE dropping a QWERTY device on the highend market without testing the waters a little. I didn't even know that BlackBerry really ever had an type of design team....
    07-13-15 10:57 AM
    Will be fun to see what ex-BlackBerry employees can do when they are shackled by non-disclosure / non-compete agreements, and are subject to intellectual property, and patent laws.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    Could ZTE play the same way Xiaomi does....sell only in certain markets to avoid Apple's lawyers and patents?
    I don't know much about patents and global enforcement, but I think that's why Apple hasn't gone after Xiaomi since they don't have the legal ability in China to do so. I could be wrong - wouldn't be the first time - but maybe this is what the former BlackBerry team is hoping for with ZTE.

They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same. 
    07-13-15 11:34 AM
    And android with a physical keyboard most likely.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-15 11:38 AM
    IMHO, I wouldn't get too worked up about it. Primarily because ZTE isn't exactly known for producing stellar devices.

Penned via Tapatalk
    07-13-15 02:13 PM
    IMHO, I wouldn't get too worked up about it. Primarily because ZTE isn't exactly known for producing stellar devices.

Penned via Tapatalk
    Very true. My wife had a ZTE once, it was typical cheap crap Android, I'd rather get a Blu.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-15 02:15 PM
    Lol I once had a ZTE device once my z10 broke for a couple of weeks, it was a feature phone so just messaging and had a qwerty keyboard. So many people when looking at it thought it was a blackberry but it was just a messaging phone. Called the zte adamant

Posted via CB10
    07-13-15 02:31 PM
    Hmm, Chinese OEM. I'm thinking a BlackBerry with the serial numbers filed off, bargain basement internals and assembled by children in a sweat shop.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-15 03:24 PM
    ZTE shipped 26m smartphones in H1, to launch 'secret product' developed by ex-Blackberry team | South China Morning Post

Does anyone know anymore info and what phones this ex-blackberry team was involved with? Hopefully not the passport.

Posted via CB10

ZTE has hired former BlackBerry engineers to help develop new smartphones | CrackBerry.com

The report says that ZTE has specifically brought in new employees who have previously worked at BlackBerry as senior engineers. They will apparently help develop new hardware products for ZTE,

It is said that the number of BlackBerry team members hired by ZTE so far is fewer than 20, and that those employees are still working in BlackBerry's home country of Canada. However, those same team members could move to either China or the U.S. in order to take on more responsibility at ZTE.

The report quotes Adam Zeng, the head of ZTE's mobile device business, as saying, "We hope the talent from BlackBerry can enhance our product security and design capability." He added that the company will continue to go after more team members from BlackBerry and other smartphone companies. A BlackBerry rep did not respond immediately to the WSJ's request for comment.

Zeng told the Wall Street Journal that ZTE sold 40 million smartphones in 2013, and that they expect that number to go up to 60 million units this year and 80 million in 2015. For that they're probably going to need more engineers.
    07-13-15 04:02 PM

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    RT

Posted via CB10
    07-13-15 04:57 PM