So I've been considering upgrading from my Z10 to a Z30, the Leap is actually a consideration as well, but the Z30 is so much nicer and better, though only slightly better specs.

My problem is that I have been advised to purchase an STA100-5 version of the Z30 in order for it to work properly on T-Mobile, but after looking at my Z10, also on T-Mobile, I actually have an STL100-3 version.

So which one works best with T-Mobile ? Which should I be purchasing? 100-3 or 100-5?

Posted via CB10
    04-14-15 06:27 PM
    My VZW model is an STA100-3 is TMobile CDMA?
    04-14-15 06:34 PM
    Hmm... not sure JayDee.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-15 06:52 PM
    STA100-5 is the one that works perfectly. I know because that's what I use on T-Mobile.
    04-14-15 06:53 PM
    Ok, I read in one of the forums that STA100-5 doesn't work anymore with the new T-Mobile LTE Network. So I decided to check my T-Mobile Purchased Z10 and it's an STL100-3. Just want to make sure I purchase the right one.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-15 07:19 PM
    Z30 on T-Mobile / STA100-3 or STA 100-5?-img_20150414_202653.png

STA100-5 is the most compatible. I'm getting LTE just fine..
    04-14-15 07:27 PM
    Grab a copy of "LTE Discovery", an android app from Snap, and download it to your Z10. Run it and it should tell you the band that TMobile is utilizing for LTE data in your city. In my city, Portland, OR, the STA100-5 fits perfectly with TMobile since TMobile is operating on band 4 for its LTE broadcast. The Z30 100-5 utilizes LTE bands 4, 5 and 7. I happen to be on AT&T and do not receive LTE data since AT&T utilizes band 17 here. So, I only get 4G data transmission.
    04-14-15 07:28 PM
    Downloaded LTE Discovery but it doesn't want to work without Google services. I was able to capture this screen shot before it closed out.
    Z30 on T-Mobile / STA100-3 or STA 100-5?-img_20150414_212853.png

Posted via CB10
    04-14-15 08:31 PM
    What does it all mean? What band am I on?

Posted via CB10
    04-14-15 08:31 PM
    My VZW model is an STA100-3 is TMobile CDMA?
    It's GSM.

I have the 100-5 and get full 4GLTE here in LA, just as good as my Passport does.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-15 08:33 PM
    So which one works best with T-Mobile ? Which should I be purchasing? 100-3 or 100-5?
    100-5 definitely. 100-3 will work on TMO too, and on paper is just as compatible LTE-wise as the -5, but it (-3) doesn't have one of the HSPA+ bands that the -5 has.

Neither one will be as compatible with TMO as your Z10 though. Neither the Z30 -3 nor the -5 was designed with TMO in mind: it just happens to have decent compatibility. Your Z10 was designed with TMO in mind.
    lift, SlackerKing and Smitty13 like this.
    04-14-15 08:42 PM
    I see, makes sense, thanks Raino!

Posted via CB10
    04-14-15 09:21 PM
    I see, makes sense, thanks Raino!

Posted via CB10
    Just be aware that T-Mobile is in the middle of a giant LTE nationwide upgrade. They are now using Band 2 LTE in many areas nationwide. No GSM Z30 has band 2 LTE. The Z10 STL100-3 is still the best between the Z30 and the Z10 for LTE compatibility on T-Mobile and AT&T.
    I'm not dumping on the Z30 but it is quickly becoming obsolete frequency wise in the USA. In raino's sig there are links to Models and supported frequencies. Have a look.
    Smitty13 likes this.
    04-14-15 09:49 PM
    100-5 definitely. 100-3 will work on TMO too, and on paper is just as compatible LTE-wise as the -5, but it (-3) doesn't have one of the HSPA+ bands that the -5 has.

Neither one will be as compatible with TMO as your Z10 though. Neither the Z30 -3 nor the -5 was designed with TMO in mind: it just happens to have decent compatibility. Your Z10 was designed with TMO in mind.
    Just as an aside for anyone reading this thread, raino is indeed the man, the myth, and the legend when it comes to BlackBerry 10 device frequencies and subsequently carrier compatibility. Rest assured he knows what he is talking about.
    04-14-15 11:28 PM
    Downloaded LTE Discovery but it doesn't want to work without Google services. I was able to capture this screen shot before it closed out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150414_212853.png 
Views:	501 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	347522

Posted via CB10
    The screen shot from LTE Discovery shows no LTE signal is available for your Z10 in your area for TMobile. The Z10 STL 100-3 should be able to get LTE on bands 2, 4, 5 and 17. TMobile is on band 4 in most cities and band 2 after their upgrade in others. Does your Z10 show 4GLTE when you look at the upper right corner on your home screen? If not, TMobile may not be offering LTE data in your area or they are operating on a band not supported by your Z10.
    lift likes this.
    04-15-15 08:07 AM
    I'm on tomo usa, and recently bought my Z30. Everyone and every article said sta100-5 which is what I bought and it works well for me.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-15 09:07 AM
    I'm on tomo usa, and recently bought my Z30. Everyone and every article said sta100-5 which is what I bought and it works well for me.

Posted via CB10
    I'm sure it will work well in most places, but T-Mobile is starting to use band 2 LTE in many areas and your Z30 will not have LTE in those areas. Again, the Z30 is an outstanding phone. BlackBerry just screwed-up by not putting enough LTE bands in the unlocked version for sale directly from BlackBerry.
    04-15-15 10:57 AM
    I'm sure it will work well in most places, but T-Mobile is starting to use band 2 LTE in many areas and your Z30 will not have LTE in those areas. Again, the Z30 is an outstanding phone. BlackBerry just screwed-up by not putting enough LTE bands in the unlocked version for sale directly from BlackBerry.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the STA100-1 supposedly going to have Band 2 LTE support, but was never released? As far as I can tell this model never really made it to the hands of the public, which really leaves me scratching my head.
    raino and lift like this.
    04-15-15 11:16 AM
    You definitely want the STA100-5 model (see the attached chart). 100-3 seems to be a CDMA (Verizon) phone, which you wouldn't want.
    Z30 on T-Mobile / STA100-3 or STA 100-5?-z30-models.png
    04-15-15 11:39 AM
    Just as an aside for anyone reading this thread, raino is indeed the man, the myth, and the legend when it comes to BlackBerry 10 device frequencies and subsequently carrier compatibility.
    Blasphemy! There's only one legendary figure in these parts, and his name is Kevin (nowadays he only appears from time to time, but that only grows the legend.)

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the STA100-1 supposedly going to have Band 2 LTE support, but was never released? As far as I can tell this model never really made it to the hands of the public, which really leaves me scratching my head.
    The Z30 -5 wasn't really meant as the model for TMO, much less US carriers; upon release, it was more suited for Canadian carriers. It just happens to be compatible with three of the four nationwide TMO high speed networks. The -1 was supposed to be the Z30 for the US (compatible with TMO and AT&T like the Z10 -3 or Q10 -5.) I'm not completely sure why BB chose to go this route (two GSM NA models vs. one AWS+one non AWS model,) but I would guess it had something to do with Canadians needing LTE band 7 and not band 17 (at least then) and vice versa for Americans.

That being said...BB has put it up for sale in their ShopBB storefront, so it is what it is. Initially, they were claiming LTE compatibility with AT&T without providing a model number, and that was disappointing because people thought it was the -1 they were buying. So while it wasn't false advertising (the -5 is somewhat compatible with AT&T LTE,) it was very incomplete advertising.

Luckily for us buyers, there are fewer unique bands left, so there hasn't been a similar compatibility issue recently. The Passport -1 is a global model, and the North American Classic's bands allows it to work on all NA GSM carriers.

It's a constant cat and mouse game.
    Smitty13 likes this.
    04-15-15 11:42 AM
    My STA100-5 runs on T-Mobile perfectly. Including LTE

Posted via CB10
    04-15-15 01:09 PM
    Luckily for us buyers, there are fewer unique bands left, so there hasn't been a similar compatibility issue recently. The Passport -1 is a global model, and the North American Classic's bands allows it to work on all NA GSM carriers.
    Band 12 LTE is missing on ALL the latest BlackBerry devices, including the just released Leap. Band 12 LTE is not used much YET, but T-Mobile plans to use it aggressively in all the areas they can and are licensed in. There has also been some talk about AT&T putting band 12 compatibility in their up coming phones. So as far as I'm concerned, BlackBerry messed up by not putting band 12 LTE in their latest devices.
    04-15-15 02:35 PM
    Band 12 LTE is missing on ALL the latest BlackBerry devices, including the just released Leap. Band 12 LTE is not used much YET, but T-Mobile plans to use it aggressively in all the areas they can and are licensed in. There has also been some talk about AT&T putting band 12 compatibility in their up coming phones. So as far as I'm concerned, BlackBerry messed up by not putting band 12 LTE in their latest devices.
    Right. Band 12 is somewhat of a glaring omission, but it can be explained. AFAIK, AT&T has only committed to band 12 device interoperability (17 is a subset of 12) but they haven't laid out any plans to roll out a band 12 network. Robellus own band 12 spectrum as well, but have not announced any deployment plans either (again, AFAIK--maybe Smitty13 has better local information.) So at this time, BB has no pressing reason to include it. TMO is not a partner, nor are any partners using band 12.

And the second issue is one you allude to: it's nowhere near to being a major band right now. Even the iPhone 6 (both models) doesn't come with band 12 enabled, nor did Apple put in provisions to enable it by software update. In other words, not even the OEM "partner" TMO's always kissing up to considers it significant.
    lift likes this.
    04-15-15 03:16 PM
    Right. Band 12 is somewhat of a glaring omission, but it can be explained. AFAIK, AT&T has only committed to band 12 device interoperability (17 is a subset of 12) but they haven't laid out any plans to roll out a band 12 network. Robellus own band 12 spectrum as well, but have not announced any deployment plans either (again, AFAIK--maybe Smitty13 has better local information.) So at this time, BB has no pressing reason to include it. TMO is not a partner, nor are any partners using band 12.

And the second issue is one you allude to: it's nowhere near to being a major band right now. Even the iPhone 6 (both models) doesn't come with band 12 enabled, nor did Apple put in provisions to enable it by software update. In other words, not even the OEM "partner" TMO's always kissing up to considers it significant.
    Pfffft, and you claim you aren't legendary with replies like this one...

In all seriousness though, raino is indeed correct here in everything he mentioned. In regards to the Band 12 spectrum situation here in Canada, I have yet to hear of any immediate plans to utilize this band by any of the Big 3 (Rogers, Bell, Telus - AKA Robellus). A good run down of current LTE Band usage in Canada can be found here; notice the lack of any Band 12 currently in use by any provider, with primarily Bands 4 and 7 in use.

That also being said, Industry Canada has tried multiple times to make spectrum auction more appealing to new entrants but has fallen flat every time. It has gotten to the point that where Industry Canada even had to make a provision in last year's spectrum auction:

License rules will require companies that control two or more blocks of paired spectrum in the 700 MHz band to cover 90% of the country’s population with their “current high-speed coverage” within five years and 97% within seven years of being granted the licenses.
    I suppose this means that by 2019 Canadian carriers will have to utilize this spectrum to cover 90% of our population? I have a funny feeling this agreement will suddenly be "forgotten" after a few lawsuits (just my opinion here based on what I have witnessed before).

This year there will be an auction of 50 megahertz of spectrum in the 1.7/2.1 GHz band (AWS-3) in another attempt to lure in new companies (Source: Canada set for AWS-3 spectrum auction).
    lift and raino like this.
    04-15-15 06:33 PM
    Excellent replies from both of you. Thanks. So no plans to use band 12 in Canada, and only T-Mobile barely using it (more as time goes by), and no Band 12 on Apple devices kind of seals the deal. BlackBerry's decision to not include Band 12 is a no brainer. T-Mobile and BlackBerry aren't exactly buddies and a lack of Band 12 use by pretty much every other carrier in Canada and USA sure doesn't show a pressing need to include it in their products. I guess I was thinking it was a mistake but I have now reconsidered.
    Smitty13 likes this.
    04-15-15 07:48 PM
63 123