Op did you say 17 HOUR BOOT UP TIME!!???

IF THAT HAD HAPPENED TO ME I WOULD HAVE PROMPTLY THROW SAID DEVICE OUT THE WINDOW AND DRIVEN OVER IT IN RAGE.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do either way.

"I love when people boast about their phones...like its a pissing contest"
    You really need to shout!!????

Using a BlackBerry Z10! The "UnDroid"!
    08-21-14 07:42 AM
    Get what you want and be happy. And it's okay to let others be happy with their choices, too, even if they aren't the same as yours.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 via the CB Forums app
    LuvULongTime and haringfish like this.
    08-21-14 07:43 AM
    Rocking the Q10 more than a year now, can't wait for the Passport, mainly for its bigger screen and better for my older eyes. Had no problems or issues like double typing and so, no issues at all with my Q10. Still, I never have installed so much apps on my BB than on any other brand before. I still use very little of them. Apps for me are certainly not the issue but when i buy one, native only. Anyway, got more apps than enough that cover my need and can't wait for the Passport. The non-removable battery is my only small dislike of it but it's small. Can't wait to check it out.
    08-21-14 07:49 AM
    @OP. Good luck with your next device. But, Reboot - 17 hours? Maybe try updating the software. If already updated. try it again. BTW, I'm glad BlackBerry doesn't have that mentality of "let the door hit you"......can you imagine the customer base if consumers really thought BlackBerry didn't give a d*mn about whether they stay or go? Going from less than a few minutes to 17 hours is an issue. Did you try to update the OS by adding the bars and not thru an autoloader? Just asking because that's like starting to reboot in the morning and going to have lunch......still rebooting.
    08-21-14 07:58 AM
    Just venting here.....

Encouraged by the prospect of a greater choice of apps via Android I stuck with BB and moved from the Z10 to Z30. The Z30 is a very nice phone but it was already lagging spec wise when it was released and with the only new BB on the Horizon the curious (IMO) passport which does not interest me at all I think that when the new phone itch inevtitably comes I'll probably either go back to ios or give Android a try.

It is however not the hardware at all that really bugs me but the bitter sweet experience of what is in BB10 a really nice OS that I like a lot soured by too many annoyances. The music player and general handling of media, the 17 hour boot up time plus the extra 5 miutes of so before some apps are really ready to use on top of that, the frustration of Android apps dangling there like a carrot but in truth many do not run at all and those that do all feeling like they are wading through treacle whilst wearing a heavy backpack into the wind. they certainly stick out like a sore thumb vs. the native apps. The fact is that if there is 'an app for that' I have little confidence that I'll be able to run it on BB unless as in the case with Sonos some clever and motivated BB user decides to build one and with Android runtime I actually think that things will get worse as fewer devs will build BB apps as there will be the expectation that BB users will just go with the android version. The truth is that if either apple of android offered anything like the HUB I would have probably already switched, the hub is the one last thing that makes me stick with the Z30 and it does baffle me why the other 2 have not come up with something like it.

So I am curious at the upcoming IP6 and generally love apple stuff but as ios8 still does not allow me to attach a file to an email or browse the files on my device in 2014 I just do not think I could go back, so for now I plod on hoping for a Z50, hoping for better Android runtime maybe or more actual built for BB apps. I do though think I am at the end of the road (for now) with Blackberry.....
    LOL see ya, enjoy your outdated iOS!

Posted via Z10
    08-21-14 08:04 AM
    Op did you say 17 HOUR BOOT UP TIME!!???
    I didn't understand that. If he really means boot up with "boot up" ... then this is an indication for a hardly misconfigured device and it is half dead now. Probably he would achieve much better results with cleaning up the whole thing and installing only what he needs. But the reason of that is not the device.
    08-21-14 08:12 AM
    Good luck with your next device of choice. I think there is nothing wrong with trying out other platforms so that you can find the device that fits your needs. We were an Apple family (back when people would make fun of us for having a Mac, lol) and own some Android devices (tablets and phones).

I view the success of BB10 in the simple fact that my teen loves her Z10. I don't look at the specs as much as its utility values with HDMI, NFC, StoryMaker, Hub etc. It has met all of my teen's needs, and she raves all the time about the build quality versus her previous and current Android devices. Samsung being one of them. Her initial concern prior to choosing the Z10 was apps but now that she has the phone she is discovering that the phone is so much more than that. And trust me she gets made fun of for carrying a BlackBerry but feels it is worth putting up with.

My son wants my Z10 next. So there is some hope with the younger folks.

So, like my family, you will have to find what works for you. Good luck and seriously have fun. It is only a device.

My Z10 - an extension of me
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    08-21-14 08:15 AM
    How nice. BlackBerry needs more like you. Folks who understand and listen to what is an issue for many BlackBerry owners.
    BlackBerry is doing so well too. Gaining customers in droves!

Maybe the door hit you a little too hard!?

Moving on......

No need to understand anything imo. Op complaint thst android app is slow and bootup time is super long)( comparatively 17 hours X,'D) . That followed by a disclaimer that he or she has not yet tried an actual android device to see whether that matches up across the board.

For example, while not common on android, some apps do lag on native android because it's poorly built. What if that's one of the apps? How can you make an objective claim if you haven't compared it side by side.?

Then OP went into the unrelated " I feel like I'm backing a loser" speech. Sheep mentality imo. Why does it matter loser or winner what you are backing?

The thing that got me on bb10 from ios was phone price. What kept me here was the phone itself. It's why I got a playbook instead of an ipad that every freshman had when I was preparing for college. It's why I dumped my final ios device for a z10 last November at $200

From my mobile arsenal..zee z10
    CerveloJohn and Playbook007 like this.
    08-21-14 08:16 AM
    I am actually leaning towards an S5 next TBH. Love apple devices but the limitations are just too much unles you jailbreak
    I went to check a S5 lately on display in local Datart electronics store. I got the screen lit up only to see "The application Settings failed." So I think that you are actually gonna get annoyed by how the Android is in fact unstable and messy compared to BB10.
    08-21-14 08:20 AM

Then OP went into the unrelated " I feel like I'm backing a loser" speech. Sheep mentality imo. Why does it matter loser or winner what you are backing?
    From a practical perspective, a company's perceived long term prognosis could affect purchasing decisions.

If one isn't sure BBRY will be making consumer devices for too much longer, I can see where one might look elsewhere.

Assuming, of course, that is what OP is referring to.
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-21-14 08:21 AM
    I dropped my SG4 for the Z30 and without any doubt the z30 is hands down better. I find these threads to be fake. Bb10 is the best OS on the market. NSA would disagree but they have an obvious agenda. I find it interesting that everyone I do business with only uses BlackBerry. People with money and power only use BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-14 08:29 AM
    Having never used an Android phone for any length of time I have no idea how apps behave when run natively, pretty much all of my Android apps on my Z30 take 5-10 seconds to actually load and are then noticeably sluggish vs native BB ones after that, it is not a slick process at all.
    Yes, I know what you mean. I ran 10.3 on my Q10 for a couple of months, and the Android performance was better, and I expect it to continue to improve. Obviously this is a high priority for BlackBerry going forward, but I don't know whether they'll hit a wall at some point.

I'll add a point that I've made in other threads, since I don't expect anybody to be taking notes. That is, don't assume that an app that runs poorly on BB10 runs well on any Android device. The S4 was a flagship Android when I had it, and some of the apps that ran poorly on BB10 also were rubbish on the S4. The CNN app comes to mind. People complain about Waze making their Z10 get hot; it made my S4 get hot too.

At the end of the day, I had to take inventory of what I want to be able to do with my smartphone. I read Kindle books, I listen to podcasts and audiobooks, I listen to music, I read and write emails, and I often attach documents to those emails. I pull those documents from cloud services such as DrobBox. I use navigation. I read and post on forums such as this one. I do web searches. I use various message services: BBM, Facebook, texting. I keep a calendar of appointments and tasks. I pay bills using Check. I write notes concerning things I'll later expand upon in my academic writing. I check the weather forecast. That list accounts for more than 90% of my smartphone use. I've been playing Words With Friends continuously with one friend for two years. We make one or two moves a day, and that's it. The WWF is pretty horrible on the Q10 but I just don't care. It's good enough.

I got the S4 and I was doing the same things. I wasn't looking for more things to do with my phone, although they were certainly there if I wanted them. In short, in going from Z10 to S4 I didn't suddenly find myself in the vast sunlit spaces of new functionality. Someone else might, but I wasn't. I'm not going to bash Android; it was fine. I got the hang of it quickly enough and had few problems (until KitKat). But all things considered I preferred the way BB10 does things, so I got the Q10 and I'm still doing the same things with my phone.

I just do not get the passport at all and I think it is a curious storm'esque release. I can absolutely see the appeal of keyboard on a phone but the PP has a new keyboard layout that is not qwerty and will therefoe likely not be intuitive and take some adapting to. I also think that any smartphone with a keyboard will never be any more than a niche product, that ship has sailed IMO. It is one of the reasons why I think that BBs short to medium term future is probably not aligned with my own requirements. Will there ever be a Z30 successor for example? I think BB have had a positive 6-12 months and it would be great if they came out and said 'Right here is our answer to the IP5/6 or S5'
    I think the Passport will do better than the Storm, but honestly I don't know anything you don't know, and probably a lot less. It's just an opinion, worth what you paid for it. I do understand the feeling of doom you may have about BlackBerry, since I (and many others) experienced it last year. Everything felt very grim and it was easy enough to let that emotion push me onto a different platform. This year, a lot of people are feeling grim due to the Amazon partnership and it's possible (likely) short-term effect on native app development. I get it, but it's not going to change anything in my situation, at least not right away. If and when it does, I'll re-assess.

Sorry for the long post. Bad habit.
    kirson, LuvULongTime and neil74 like this.
    08-21-14 08:31 AM
    I am almost in the same boat. I have Z10, which i really like but the app store is lacking so many "essential" apps. For now I could live with snap but at the same time, some apps now require google settings bull crap.

What I hate about the runtime is that if you minimize it, the app stops loading. So annoying. Hopefully all that is fixed with 10.3. If I do stick with BlackBerry, i will go with a bigger battery phone like the Z30 because the z10 battery life is horrible. I've turned into a "wall hugger "

Posted via CB10
    neil74 likes this.
    08-21-14 08:37 AM
    Having never used an Android phone for any length of time I have no idea how apps behave when run natively...'
    It varies widely depending on the device and manufacturer "skin" being used.

My Razr Maxx HD struggles now and then when switching apps, but my 2nd generation Nexus 7 is always lightening fast. Point being it's difficult to make blanket statements about Android, as every device is unique. I've browsed quite a few reviews, and I'm always surprised that many mention how the mighty LG3 lags now and then, while the average-spec'd Moto X is generally praised for how smooth it is.
    08-21-14 08:39 AM
    (Sigh)

Mate... If you wanted to change your phones, you are within your freedom to do whatever... But it is honestly not worth -
    1) creating a thread to vent
    2) complaining about the the same app situation again. - 'dead horse' and 'flogging' are operative terms in a metaphor describing this phenomena
    3) complain about specs again
    4) tell use the phone you have always loved.

We weren't holding you down. If you don't like it, find something you like and get that instead.
    08-21-14 08:49 AM
    How nice. BlackBerry needs more like you. Folks who understand and listen to what is an issue for many BlackBerry owners.
    BlackBerry is doing so well too. Gaining customers in droves!

Maybe the door hit you a little too hard!?

Moving on......

The OP wasn't asking for help or advice. As it says at the beginning of the post "Just venting here". So the rest of us have to ask: is this just some kind of troll flame bait? Have we not seen a million threads like this? Sounds like the OP has decided on the path they will take so I think "bye" is a perfectly reasonable response.
    bungaboy and CerveloJohn like this.
    08-21-14 09:00 AM
    Lol all you guys saying "bye" and "don't let the door hit you" are the worst type of representatives for BB.
    08-21-14 09:01 AM
    There is no such thing as one size fits all.
    As consumers we need as much variety as possible.
    I don't share your opinions about BlackBerry and enjoy using my Q10 as it is very quick, responsive and intuitive - even more so than my Android device.
    Boot time could be improved, but 17 hours? Haha! Slight exaggeration. ☺
    It's nice that Apple has finally become more like Samsung with a larger screen, but a wait and see attitude could work out to your advantage as apple is generally $$$ especially on release date and some time afterwards.
    08-21-14 09:06 AM

It is frustrating as I mostly really like BB10 but I almost get the sense that BBs future maybe does not lay with consumers

The android support was lauded as a breakthrough and in many ways it was but it also means that there will be fewer built for BB apps and more either ported or just loaded as the android version. Android runtime has to be move on big-time for me for Android apps to be anywhere near slick enough.

Don't you ever get the sense that you are backing a loser? at least in the consumer space. Other than the cheaper BB7 phones on PAYG very few carriers or shops are even selling BB10 phones anymore.
    Android is the best IOS even better

Posted via CB10
    08-21-14 09:11 AM
    So how exactly is the "lacking spec" affecting you? Does it actually affect your day to day functionality or you just looking for bragging rights??

Posted via CB10
    08-21-14 09:13 AM
    @OP. Good luck with your next device. But, Reboot - 17 hours? Maybe try updating the software. If already updated. try it again. BTW, I'm glad BlackBerry doesn't have that mentality of "let the door hit you"......can you imagine the customer base if consumers really thought BlackBerry didn't give a d*mn about whether they stay or go? Going from less than a few minutes to 17 hours is an issue. Did you try to update the OS by adding the bars and not thru an autoloader? Just asking because that's like starting to reboot in the morning and going to have lunch......still rebooting.
    mine takes a week to boot up, I love Android IOS is better.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-14 09:13 AM
    Bye. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
    What an intelligent response! Yes, please don't allow anyone to speak their mind because, heaven forbid, their opinion might be different than yours! Yes, let's all march lock step together so that we all think and act alike. Talk about sheep!! Give me a break!
    08-21-14 09:23 AM

Don't you ever get the sense that you are backing a loser? at least in the consumer space. Other than the cheaper BB7 phones on PAYG very few carriers or shops are even selling BB10 phones anymore.
    Not everyone considers a product for their own use like they might consider investing in a stock. They don't go into a store and say "this product is the best" but they might lose market share in the consumer space in the next year so I'll buy something I don't want instead".

You might as well say "I'd love to buy this Suburban, it does everything I need better than anything else, but you mostly see people driving Malibu's so I should just buy that instead so I don't stand out too much."

Not sure what country you're in, but BB10 phones are available an on carriers in the US except the smallest and you can still bring your own unlocked if you want.
    08-21-14 09:37 AM
    Maybe what is lost on everyone is that if you go by brand loyalty versus what you need in anything.... you will come up wanting.... As much as I am a fervent BB fan and user.,..if my phone stopped doingwhat I want and could not find a BB to do so... I would be shopping elswhere for a new devices and ecosystem... doing my homework... going out and actually trying devices... not going on any forum and asking advice... how people can complain about the "app gap" is beyond me.,.. it is well documented by media and users in general that this is an issue...yet people act like it was some deep dark secret kept from them... if brand loyalty so blinds you to the deficiencies of the devices offer you... then you derserve what your choices have brought.... To the OP... lf you are to the point that you have the need to vent... perhaps it is time to move on ... however I think the OP may be posting something similar about their new phone on an Android or Apple site in the coming months.....
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    08-21-14 09:40 AM
    Yes, I know what you mean. I ran 10.3 on my Q10 for a couple of months, and the Android performance was better, and I expect it to continue to improve. Obviously this is a high priority for BlackBerry going forward, but I don't know whether they'll hit a wall at some point.

I'll add a point that I've made in other threads, since I don't expect anybody to be taking notes. That is, don't assume that an app that runs poorly on BB10 runs well on any Android device. The S4 was a flagship Android when I had it, and some of the apps that ran poorly on BB10 also were rubbish on the S4. The CNN app comes to mind. People complain about Waze making their Z10 get hot; it made my S4 get hot too.

At the end of the day, I had to take inventory of what I want to be able to do with my smartphone. I read Kindle books, I listen to podcasts and audiobooks, I listen to music, I read and write emails, and I often attach documents to those emails. I pull those documents from cloud services such as DrobBox. I use navigation. I read and post on forums such as this one. I do web searches. I use various message services: BBM, Facebook, texting. I keep a calendar of appointments and tasks. I pay bills using Check. I write notes concerning things I'll later expand upon in my academic writing. I check the weather forecast. That list accounts for more than 90% of my smartphone use. I've been playing Words With Friends continuously with one friend for two years. We make one or two moves a day, and that's it. The WWF is pretty horrible on the Q10 but I just don't care. It's good enough.

I got the S4 and I was doing the same things. I wasn't looking for more things to do with my phone, although they were certainly there if I wanted them. In short, in going from Z10 to S4 I didn't suddenly find myself in the vast sunlit spaces of new functionality. Someone else might, but I wasn't. I'm not going to bash Android; it was fine. I got the hang of it quickly enough and had few problems (until KitKat). But all things considered I preferred the way BB10 does things, so I got the Q10 and I'm still doing the same things with my phone.

I think the Passport will do better than the Storm, but honestly I don't know anything you don't know, and probably a lot less. It's just an opinion, worth what you paid for it. I do understand the feeling of doom you may have about BlackBerry, since I (and many others) experienced it last year. Everything felt very grim and it was easy enough to let that emotion push me onto a different platform. This year, a lot of people are feeling grim due to the Amazon partnership and it's possible (likely) short-term effect on native app development. I get it, but it's not going to change anything in my situation, at least not right away. If and when it does, I'll re-assess.

Sorry for the long post. Bad habit.

You, my friend, are a class act. I have been reading these blogs for years, and I used to be a pretty active participant (well, in relative terms, I guess). Back in the day, your comments were pretty much in line with many others - well reasoned, respectful, open minded, humble, and always helpful and useful. Thankfully, your comments remained unchanged. The rest of this community, however, with very few exceptions, has deteriorated so far that it has become scary to post anything at all, let alone a criticism or, even worse, a gripe. So, thank you for keeping at it in the face of the noise and lower standards. Thank you for keeping things civil and responding like a true gentleman. Thank you for your thoughts and contributions. I will now go hide out on the sidelines again.
    08-21-14 09:59 AM
64 123