First-look review: Galaxy S 4 stuffed with new technologies that don't come together | StarTribune.com

last paragraph

First-look review: Galaxy S 4 stuffed with new technologies that don't come together
    Article by: PETER SVENSSON , Associated Press Updated: March 14, 2013 - 8:02 PM

The S 4 presents an interesting contrast to the BlackBerry Z10, which is coming out in a few weeks. Research In Motion Ltd. jettisoned the old BlackBerry software and rebuilt it from the ground up. The phone's hardware isn't as impressive as Samsung's, but the software is easy to use, and it's based on a strong idea: taking the pain out of communicating across email, text messaging and social networks. The S 4, unfortunately, doesn't have the same clarity of purpose.
    03-14-13 08:33 PM
    03-14-13 08:40 PM
    The impression I get with the SG4 is the same as those actors that presented it at the launch and the launch itself. All flashy, colourful, but not very professional. The one reason I've always liked BB is for the professional design of their phones and OS, which they kept and improved with BB10.

I get the same impression as the author of the cited article the OP posted: SG4 is like the Android OS...fragmented and not coherent.

I was just on Android Central Forum, never posted there but curious to read Droidies' reaction, and noticed there aren't posts bashing their devices from users of other platforms. So why do so many other platform users come to our fan forum and bash our beloved device? And then start crying why we keep calling these people trolls and complain that BB users don't except difference of opinions.
    momark, BlackQtCoder and sonbuster like this.
    03-14-13 08:44 PM
    The impression I get with the SG4 is the same as those actors that presented it at the launch and the launch itself. All flashy, colourful, but not very professional. The one reason I've always liked BB is for the professional design of their phones and OS, which they kept and improved with BB10.

I get the same impression as the author of the cited article the OP posted: SG4 is like the Android OS...fragmented and not coherent.

I was just on Android Central Forum, never posted there but curious to read Droidies' reaction, and noticed there aren't posts bashing their devices from users of other platforms. So why do so many other platform users come to our fan forum and bash our beloved device? And then start crying why we keep calling these people trolls and complain that BB users don't except difference of opinions.
    Because they fear us. BlackBerry is the real deal.
    03-14-13 08:47 PM

Million dollar question!
    03-14-13 08:49 PM
    It's different. Both have different strengths that not everyone will want.
    There is no clear winner its all about choices

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 08:53 PM
    Yea I personally like the BB10 way. Size is perfect for me and it works very well. Android I feel the only way to differentiate itself from the other manufacturers is to go bigger and faster. It's gonna get ridiculous after a while. Could you imagine? 2015 the Galaxy S6 6.2' Hyper Ultra Amoled display, and a centicore processor. Androids and the Galaxy are great phones, however I think they should find a new way to go about things.

Posted via CB10
    sonbuster and BlackQtCoder like this.
    03-14-13 09:11 PM
    It will sell on the hype alone. . .if people cared about the "clarity of purpose" Samsung wouldn't be as popular as it is now. . .
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    03-14-13 09:12 PM
    Its stuffed with last years software? WTF fail!
    Oppertunity BlackBerry!
    sonbuster and MXBerry like this.
    03-14-13 09:35 PM

Posted via CB10
    And Blackberry wins....in the future.

I seriously feel that Android in general has just sold their consumers on specs so hard, that when they hit their diminishing returns...they forget to go back and make the OS solid.

This is a great chance for BB to gain much more marketshare! I truly do feel that SGS4 is more of the same, I mean, yes more is better we want more....but I've never fell in love with the OS they have...and I feel BB10 will be my next lover!
    Umedon, Spawn12 and sonbuster like this.
    03-14-13 10:36 PM
    With greater spec, I imagine the pricing for the S4 most likely will be greater than the S3; funny that they didn't give any pricing details during launch. Did they even give a specific date when the phone will actually be on sale?
    03-15-13 12:14 AM
    That will be 600 euro almost 700 dollars

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9300 met Tapatalk
    03-15-13 12:16 AM
    Now dear BBRY, the Q10 please
    sonbuster likes this.
    03-15-13 12:22 AM
    I followed the launch, saw some of the presentation, read the blogs. There's no question this phone will sell, but Sammy needs to pay attention to what's happening to Apple, where the 4S is still outselling the 5.

The coolest features don't work very well. Don't believe me? The Gizmodo review is very interesting. Like that 2,600 mAH battery? I'm sure the 1080p screen and octo-core processor will, too. Oops, except North America isn't getting the octo-core. Sorry, it will be a quad-core Snapdragon.

Samsung is a respectable company and a powerhouse in mobile. There are certain things they do very, very well, but their user experience sucks. The UI is clumsy and dated next to the Z10. They demo'd a number of cool, gimmicky features (though not all of them live, you might have noticed--that should tell you something). A great many of them were of what I would call "questionable" value. No, not all, and some of these features show promise, but I'd really like to find out just how good that translator really is. Or how many of those eight cores are tied up when the phone is running OCR on a business card.

I come away firm in the belief that Samsung had a bunch of teams that spent the past year cobbling together the coolest gimmicks they could think of, while BlackBerry's developers were working to provide the best EXPERIENCE they could think of.
    sonbuster, lactose, SDTRMG and 4 others like this.
    03-15-13 12:27 AM
    I'm not interested in the S4. I like my Nexus, but I fully expect the s4 to out sell the Z10s total sales so far in first week pre orders alone.
    03-15-13 12:38 AM
    well iphone 5 is the record holder of the first week sales, and yet, is a non impresive device !
    03-15-13 12:50 AM
    I watched the event and I actually found quite a few of the features quite interesting and cool. I do admit that a lot of them were "gimmicky" (in that you could go most of your time with the phone without ever using those features). The difference between what Samsung showed today and what BB10 does is that BB10 changes the way you do things you already do on your phone (with Peek, Flow, gestures, Active Frames, etc.) to enhance the user experience. None of the features Samsung showed off today were really relevant to me anyway as a smartphone user.

I'm more than happy to have my Torch beside me in its final week as my daily driver. Come next Friday, it goes back in its box and will be next to my Pearl and in its place will be a shiny new Z10!
    03-15-13 01:11 AM

Posted via CB10
    I respect this point of view

Choice is good.
    03-15-13 01:16 AM
    One thing though: was there a sale on the word "gimmick?" LOL.
    03-15-13 01:18 AM
    Figured even before it came out.
    03-15-13 01:23 AM
    Sammy manage to get the S-serie to have pratically same screen size than the Note serie.
    Next innovation for S-serie will be 16-core and a pen.
    Only way to differentiate Android devices is the specs race.
    Apple and Blackberry are on experience.
    And I'm sure that bigger battery of S4 to have more or less the same battery length than BB.
    By the way did they check the motherboard of S4?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-15-13 01:52 AM
    Go ahead and try android ; when you start swiping and flicking the words then you know Z10 is the way to go

Posted via CB10
    03-15-13 01:53 AM

Posted via CB10
    GS4 strengths: Sheer specs, app selection (crucial for many), "coolness", overall ecosystem.

BB10 strengths: Smaller size, theoretical usability and stability advantages.

I THINK this is what it comes down to, and this is an honest attempt to filter out my own preconceptions.
    DJM626 likes this.
    03-15-13 01:54 AM
    Yep. Agree with all here. I watched YouTube videos comparing the iPhone 5 with Z10. Z10 wins hands down. Safari browser is slow.

Posted via CB10
    sonbuster likes this.
    03-15-13 03:37 AM
    GS4 strengths: Sheer specs, app selection (crucial for many), "coolness", overall ecosystem.

BB10 strengths: Smaller size, theoretical usability and stability advantages.

I THINK this is what it comes down to, and this is an honest attempt to filter out my own preconceptions.
    Also don't forget the depth of customisation on Android which is a huge draw for people.

And for me the draw for BlackBerry has been the way user experience is built around communication.

But I agree with you on your breakdown there

Posted via CB10
    03-15-13 03:43 AM
42 12