I have a Q10 but wonder if one's coming from a Z10/30 where would one see the main drawbacks (if any!) of what is labelled and trumped a 'low-end' phone?

Where exactly? Multitasking? Many browser tabs and active frames open? Display quality?

With the specs game in overdrive now especially in the droid world (and most folks completely oblivious of specs yet buying specs) I wonder if there will be tangible difference. Say an S4 or iphone 5 person is considering the Z3? Will they suffer if they get one?

Posted via CB10
    05-13-14 02:11 PM
    An iPhone 5 person would see a big difference in a Z3, so would I coming from a Z30.
    There are lots of things the Z3 is good at, from what I have read....but the specs are not the same as the other phones you mentioned. Having said that, it's all what you want from a phone that matters.
    05-13-14 03:10 PM
    I have a Q10 but wonder if one's coming from a Z10/30 where would one see the main drawbacks (if any!) of what is labelled and trumped a 'low-end' phone?

Where exactly? Multitasking? Many browser tabs and active frames open? Display quality?

With the specs game in overdrive now especially in the droid world (and most folks completely oblivious of specs yet buying specs) I wonder if there will be tangible difference. Say an S4 or iphone 5 person is considering the Z3? Will they suffer if they get one?

Posted via CB10
    You really need to look at the markets where the Z3 is being targeted. The iPhone is not really all that big of a seller there. It's cheap Android devices that can be gotten for $100 these days. Because it seems most people in these markets own multiple phones in order to communicate with people on a different network. Multitasking and Apps are not as important as the communication abilities of the phone.

Will be interesting to see how the Z3 compares to current BB10 devices.... but there is little reason to compare it to other devices like the iPhone. As the hardware nor the OS is really the issue.
    05-13-14 03:15 PM
    That's exactly my point (and query) Is the experience of a 2014 'low end phone' t-a-n-g-i-b-l-y inferior from that of the flagship phones? If yes, in what areas? In other words are most people marketing victims?

My (only) dual core Q10 has been consistently snappier than my wifes S3 and a friend's S4 for example

Posted via CB10
    05-13-14 03:24 PM
    That's is the reason you see fingerprint readers, waterproof phones, and 41 MP Cameras.... no the specs have reached a point where the OS and the tiny mobile apps don't need but a small fraction of the power that is available.... at least in most cases - some games can drag a system down.

But that said, many newer processors and especially some of the newer quad cores have a lot of power saving technology built into them. Look at the S5's battery size and processing power and battery ratings compared to the Z30's. Most likely the S5 better battery life is due to it much larger but optimized processor. Also other technologies have improved - again the S5 has USB 3.0 much faster than USB 2.0 in the Z30, and it has the AC version of Wi-Fi verse the N version of the Z30. You really have to look at all of the specs and decide for your self what is important to you over the life of the phone.

The biggest problem the Z3 is going to face in Indonesia is the lack of a Dual SIM slot. For most of us, in the US and Canada we vaguely remember dual SIM phones and the hassle they were to use. These new dual SIM devices are much better and a necessity in these markets where carriers have no agreements and customers are forced to pay for all calls outside of their network.
    arvind1983 likes this.
    05-13-14 03:44 PM
    Thanks for the informative response, learned something new about the Z30 today!

For me it's still mostly communication device with good web browsing. Never been much of a gamer of graphics heavy games (just puzzles), speaking of heavy video games is the psp and the likes already about dead as phones already have all the mobile processing power available?...

Posted via CB10
    05-13-14 03:53 PM
    If they take a lot of pictures it looks like the camera quality is going to be a major drawback. This is not a huge deal to some but some put a ton of focus on the camera and video recorder and this seems to be one of the Z3's major drawbacks.
    05-13-14 05:09 PM