Hi so I've recently got over the learning curve frustration that I initially encountered with my Z10. Now I'm ready to take things to the next level with utilization of the HDMI port by displaying the BB10 goodness on a larger screen. I also have a Playbook and while 7 inches is good. 10-15 would better.

I've seen a few though not many of people doing this on YouTube. Then there's the Casetop device in development and Motorola Lapdock still available on Amazon.

Ideally I'm looking to keep my larger screen companion within the 10-15 inch range but at the same time I'm interested in seeing what other people's dummy screen setup is. No matter what the size.

So feel free to post your setup pics and help encourage others to go bigger or go home. Thanks!!

Here's a few links to dummy screen devices and setup. In no particular order.

1. Casetop by Livi Design

2. Lapdock by Motorola

3. Clambook by ClamCase

4. PadFone by ASUS

5. Ubuntu Edge by Canonical

Some YouTube vids of HDMI setups.

Well you get the picture I hope. With your help more QNX/BB10 setups to come!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Heinz Katchup; 07-22-13 at 11:46 PM.
    06-22-13 12:28 AM
    A companion device to the BB10 Z10 may be an oldschool idea. I personally feel the PlayBook is a better companion to the Q10 users when they require more screen real-estate for browsing or reading emails ~ I'm unsure if BlackBerry Bridge works for BB10 or not.

These laptop docks may not be required ... as smartphones get to 5" most of the websites have mobile mode or desktop mode that renders quite well for smartphones, especially in the past year. Banking sites or large database driven sites with boat loads of content (usually government sites in various countries) still fail in this regard and hence native apps are required. That said Motorola's Lapdock was the best iteration and all these other quickstarter type companies - like the first link in your post - have yet to develop a real working product with specific smartphone support.

If you get the chance to view all 4 (yes there are 4 the most recent one is hard to find) of the BlackBerry Enterprising Minds videos on Youtube (made by a marketing company paid by BlackBerry some 3/4 yrs ago on what was possible) ... you'll see the future isn't in using tablets. The future is in multiple furnitures allowing a visual interface extension using WiDi/MultiCast or similar technology offering both digital use input and output of our screens and applications: Coffee tables, car seat head rests, work desks, home desks - maybe with specific dedicated TV/LCD screens are more viable and robust - sensors for locked doors in offices or elevators for access to specific floors, etc. Sure lapdocks are a good immediate and feasible solution that can be massed produced some 1/2yrs ago and today ... but the ever growing need/demand for higher resolution, better battery frugality on consumption of power, charging while docked, etc - just like you'd prefer a larger tablet screen of 10-15 (you need to consider resolution as well since that'll impact you more on offerings made available) - will render such an $400 lapdock obsolete in just 12 months.

Glad you're liking your Z10 now.
    Heinz Katchup and stlabrat like this.
    06-22-13 10:05 PM
    That's still a pretty cool setup. I'd love to eliminate my Toshiba Laptop.
    06-22-13 10:09 PM
    buy a mini laptop to replace my 2000 dollar gaming laptop

NOPE

I have a playbook with mini keyboard for that.
    06-22-13 10:58 PM
    by a mini laptop to replace my 2000 dollar gaming laptop

NOPE

I have a playbook with mini keyboard for that.
    2000$ laptop .... OUCH...

used that earlier, but it seems appropriate again LOL
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    06-22-13 11:00 PM
    2000$ laptop .... OUCH...

used that earlier, but it seems appropriate again LOL
    Can't game on a cheap laptop, and, cant rely on Microsoft to release a useful system.
    06-23-13 08:25 AM
    Can't game on a cheap laptop, and, cant rely on Microsoft to release a useful system.
    I was so done with PC gaming for years since the PS2 debuted. Sure not all the games PC gets are available but its cheaper to own over months or a year, not ugprading the entire laptop EVERY year or upgrade the Video Card on a desktop to play the latest. insanely costly and to be honest senseless to me (my opinion on my hard earned spinach = $$).

Should I spend $2000 on another personal computer its doing a LOT more than gaming!! It's going to do pretty much everything short of making a girl .... "actually making a girl". " I would want her to live ... to breath ... to aerobicize!"
    06-24-13 07:49 PM
    So I finally got a big arse Acer HDMI capable monitor. It's been quite a joy seeing BB10 and BlackBerry Tablet OS on the big screen.

However I'm noticing some issues. For instance I have an Apple bluetooth mighty mouse. Now right clicking to open a link on my PlayBook browser works flawlessly. But I'm having problems with it working on my Z10 browser.

I thought it was working fine when I first hooked it up. But I might have been drunk. Now fully sober it doesn't seem to be able to accept the right-click to open link in new tab.

Anyone else having this problem using bluetooth mouse in there BB10 browser?

Posted via a ZeDex or PlayaBook
    07-19-13 02:01 AM
    The future is in multiple furnitures allowing a visual interface extension using WiDi/MultiCast or similar technology offering both digital use input and output of our screens and applications:
    Miricast is available in 10.2 beta, released in June.
    You can launch it using the card invoker for Miricast card.
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    07-19-13 06:45 AM
    Gotta say my dummy screen setup has become more enjoyable since 10.2. The biggest improvements I've noticed are...

1. Bluetooth support or management has come along way. Much easier to disconnect and reconnect devices. Can edit device name(s) easily now. Bluetooth workings overall gets a big thumbs up.

2. BB10 browser open link in new tab works very well now. Was not able to do it before. So thats great for power browsing.

3. Don't remember being able to HDMI output to the recommended display mode (1920x1080p). Able to do it now and looks great.
    12-05-13 11:38 PM