09-21-10 10:45 AM
26 12
tools
    After being a former storm owner over the last two years, and being proud i just come upon my upgrade date, i couldn't wait to get a phone with more bells and whistles, so i got my droid x september 10, and im satisfied so far.

Why hasn't RIM came out with a super powered media phone yet? They make great buisness phones, and the os is a little boring, its laid out well for buisness.

Everyone is ******** about rim's phones being behind the times, so why aren't they making a phone that could compete with android and iphones, i think their missing out on that market.

I love blackberry, wished bad they would of had the storm 3 out at the time of my upgrade, but none of their phones have an awesome browser on them, so that's the reason i chose android, don't get me wrong, i like blackberry, not wanting to sound like a player hater.

What's your opinion?
    Last edited by df79transam; 09-17-10 at 10:06 PM. Reason: to long
    09-16-10 10:58 PM
    If not broke then don't fix it. I can do everything I want on my Bold. I have no interest in the Android platform. I have played with them and I just prefer BB. Those who love BB will remain BB. Everyone has their phone preference. I hope you like your X. As for me, it is my Bold
    09-16-10 11:34 PM
    For me to come back, BB needs to make a better consumer device.

One thing I would absolutely want to see would be significant improvements to BIS to allow sync of not only new pushed email but also allow users to browse their email folders and archives.

Another good thing would be an addition of a higher resolution touchscreen on all devices offered. Pinch to zoom and a variety of other things you can do with touch screens including quick navigation of websites is too convenient not to, even on devices with a physical keyboard.

Finally, beef up the hardware. Faster processors, more ram, and more internal storage. My D2 has 8gb of internal memory, as an example. BB could stand to give users more space for apps and other things.

Or leave all current devices alone and build a line with one or two multimedia beasts of a device. Either way, that sounds like it would be the best of both worlds. Speed and social media/internet plus normal BB features, BBM, etc... If they did that, current users could remain happy with their current devices, and former/potential users could be wowed by the powerhouse devices they put out. I would definitely not eliminate the current lineups though...
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 09-16-10 at 11:51 PM.
    09-16-10 11:49 PM
    Df7, wow that is one wall of text!

Tl:dr with no formatting

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-16-10 11:57 PM
    Will i was hoping for a storm three bad at the time of my upgrade, and don't get me wrong, though the whole big hype of the introduction of rims first touch screen phone and the speculation of it being the iphone killer got me excited to own a storm later to find out it wasn't a media based phone, left me a little disappointed, but i still love blackberry. This design they have now of on pretty much all their phones. Black with the chrome trim rig, is sexy and grown up looking, and i see now that the os is laid out better than android devises. But blackberrys are not really geared towards media based stuff, more business, which i found awesome while on the job, but the browser for instance, and im glad rim is working on a new web kit, but it was painfully slow. And 4.7 and 5.0 os builds did a fairly good job of keeping your music library in order and playing your music. I love blackberry, wish sobad they would of had a storm three out by this time, hate their making the storm to refreshed, interenet was fast on this x, im prolly gonna wish id waited around november, that's when rim will release a cool new phone. Im glad they are renewing their os, cause it was getting kind of dated, but i hope time my next upgrade date, the next storm devise will knock your socks off.
    09-16-10 11:59 PM
    Hey sorry for the wall of text, im sorta new to forums, ill try and keep

From doing it.
    09-17-10 12:11 AM
    I think the above comment about rim leaving current devises alone and making two or three super devises, would just be awesome. Your absolutly right, i think that should be the direction rim should go.
    As of right now, android devises and iphone are going head to head, and i think it would be awesome if rim would make a phone that would come close to the two competitors, i know i would of pick a super blackberry if it would of been available.
    In the mean time, media based folks wait.
    09-17-10 12:21 AM
    I think the above comment about rim leaving current devises alone and making two or three super devises, would just be awesome. Your absolutly right, i think that should be the direction rim should go.
    As of right now, android devises and iphone are going head to head, and i think it would be awesome if rim would make a phone that would come close to the two competitors, i know i would of pick a super blackberry if it would of been available.
    In the mean time, media based folks wait.
    09-17-10 12:22 AM
    I still hope we will c a Bold form factor with a touch screen and faster processor and all that stuff. I think with the physical kb you will save on battery life even with the touchscreen!

09-17-10 12:27 AM
    This new torch design they have out now is to Palm Pre, i agree, bold design with a touch screen.
    Or come up with something new, something no other competitor has come out with yet.
    09-17-10 12:46 AM
    This new torch design they have out now is to Palm Pre, i agree, bold design with a touch screen.
    Or come up with something new, something no other competitor has come out with yet.
    09-17-10 12:47 AM
    Df7, wow that is one wall of text!

Tl:dr with no formatting

That's why I didn't bother reading it.
    09-17-10 12:56 AM
    Can someone please condense the content of that ginormous run on paragraph down
    to something I can hopefully respond to
    09-17-10 09:45 PM
    Can someone please condense the content of that ginormous run on paragraph down
    to something I can hopefully respond to
    This was the first post I read in it's entirety

IF I just go from the Post Topic.
    My Opinion on RIM Trying a different Market(s)

I am strongly FOR RIM Trying different Markets.
    I Think RIM Needs to Enter a few NEW Markets to help their Existing Market and create some vendor lock in.

They Need to Enter
    *The Portable Point of Sale Market
    *The Hand Held Tablet Market
    *The Media Device Market ( Compete with iPhone/Driod Touch screens)
    *The GPS Market ( Compete with Tom Tom/ Garmin using both Satellite and Cell)

I could go into lengthy detail for each of those points how I would do them if I was at the RIM Helm.
    09-17-10 09:56 PM
    Im sorry guys, im super new to internet communitys, i need to get up to par on the rules. I edited my long paragraph down to the point i hope.

But i really would enjoy knowing peoples opinions on this topic.

Maybe rim will see it and finally act upon it.
    09-17-10 10:10 PM
    Im sorry guys, im super new to internet communitys, i need to get up to par on the rules. I edited my long paragraph down to the point i hope.

But i really would enjoy knowing peoples opinions on this topic.

Maybe rim will see it and finally act upon it.
    09-17-10 10:11 PM
    Here is the thing. RIM is RIM and everyone else is everyone else.

Yes there are areas that RIM should explore but they have to do it right. With all
    that RIM does right at present they still get a lot of pissing and moaning about
    not being like the others.

If RIM decides to shift it's focus I would want them to do so after careful
    consideration and ONLY when they can market viable options for those areas.
    Anything other than that would be tantamount to suicide.
    09-17-10 10:11 PM
    Im sorry guys, im super new to internet communitys, i need to get up to par on the rules. I edited my long paragraph down to the point i hope. .
    Dude, don't even worry about it . You'll get used to my silliness in time. I am
    the old cantankerous Mod.

NOW!!! GET OFF MY LAWN
    09-17-10 10:13 PM
    Will thanks man, i do alot of reading in here but never much responding or asking. Lol thanks man, lot of learning to do.
    09-17-10 10:22 PM
    IMO as I have had Andriods as well, there is nothing my Berry can't do and do just as good as another platform, yes I don't have the memory(I don't need a ton.) and I don't have a 1ghtz processor...(Which I don't need in a phone.)

I browse the web just fine...
    I can text all day long and do a ton of BBMing as well and not pull the rest of my hair out tapping or trying to swype...
    I can go days without a charge and use my phone even more so that I did my mytouch3G or Cliq....
    And most importantly my call quality on my 9700 is the best to date.
    Also, I get along fine on FB, twitter and any other social networking program.

Only thing I miss is real estate and nicer screen from the TS's...that is about it.

With that said, I had older Andriod devices and each month or week, lol, andriod has some sick looking devices coming out...but need UMA and don't see them in TMobiles line up, so that is a deal breaker for me...if the X had it, I may try andriod again, but know I would miss my awesome keyboard!

Is give or take, I suppose...I am still content with my 9700 after 6 months.

09-18-10 08:16 AM
    IMO as I have had Andriods as well, there is nothing my Berry can't do and do just as good as another platform, yes I don't have the memory(I don't need a ton.) and I don't have a 1ghtz processor...(Which I don't need in a phone.)

I browse the web just fine...
    I can text all day long and do a ton of BBMing as well and not pull the rest of my hair out tapping or trying to swype...
    I can go days without a charge and use my phone even more so that I did my mytouch3G or Cliq....
    And most importantly my call quality on my 9700 is the best to date.
    Also, I get along fine on FB, twitter and any other social networking program.

Only thing I miss is real estate and nicer screen from the TS's...that is about it.

With that said, I had older Andriod devices and each month or week, lol, andriod has some sick looking devices coming out...but need UMA and don't see them in TMobiles line up, so that is a deal breaker for me...if the X had it, I may try andriod again, but know I would miss my awesome keyboard!

Is give or take, I suppose...I am still content with my 9700 after 6 months.

I agree with you on that, RIM makes good phones, and there are alot of folks out there, including myself kind of, that are content with the way their Blackberry performs. It just seems like they would get it by now, I thought they were (and I assume Im not the only one) going to do that with the Storm when it was first brought to the market, but it ended up just being a typical blackberry buisness like phone, no different than any from the rest of their line up.

Not wanting to be a troll here but if I was RIM, which Im not, per say I was, I would say, "hey, these other guys are stealing customers away, lets make a power phone for those guys so they won't jump ship". If they had of, I would of loved to stay with a Blackberry devise, their OS is just laid out so much better than Androids.

But the web browsing on this X is so God awful better than my Storm ever was, Its a pleasure to surf the web on this thing. I was gonna wait for the web browser kit for my phone, but I wasn't sure if the 9530 would get it.

I hate to see it, but from all the reading ive done, I think the Blackberry just might of reached its zenith, and could possibly be on its way down from stardom.
    09-18-10 04:51 PM
    If not broke then don't fix it.
    And that's why users are defecting. Consumers always want more.
    09-18-10 05:04 PM
    Of course customers always want more. That is why i defected from my Tour to the Droid 2, because the Bold was a bit of a disappointment and not much of a significant upgrade to Tour. When you consider releasing a device a year apart using exactly the same screen ,camera and more or less the same processor, then it makes it very hard to want to spend money and a year early upgrade on that device. If i was going to upgrade I wasn't definiely going to get something that would be dramatically different from what I had.

I really did not want to leave RIM, however they simply lost me as a customer by being continually happy making minor incremental changes rather than keeping up with the competition and offering similar features and a similar internet experience. As one example of just how far behind RIMs thinking is, I submit the 8530 which is a revision 0 device released last year, at least two years after the revision A standard came out. In fact the 8330 Curve should have been a revision A device.

RIM has a very strange business model, producing what they want versus what everybody else is willing and able to make and for some reason they have managed to hold on to a large portion of their customer base which in itself is amazing to me. They may well be one of the only modern businesses to the able to play that game and not lose their shirt in the process, at least not yet.
    09-18-10 05:45 PM
    Of course customers always want more. That is why i defected from my Tour to the Droid 2, because the Bold was a bit of a disappointment and not much of a significant upgrade to Tour. When you consider releasing a device a year apart using exactly the same screen ,camera and more or less the same processor, then it makes it very hard to want to spend money and a year early upgrade on that device. If i was going to upgrade I wasn't definiely going to get something that would be dramatically different from what I had.

I really did not want to leave RIM, however they simply lost me as a customer by being continually happy making minor incremental changes rather than keeping up with the competition and offering similar features and a similar internet experience. As one example of just how far behind RIMs thinking is, I submit the 8530 which is a revision 0 device released last year, at least two years after the revision A standard came out. In fact the 8330 Curve should have been a revision A device.

RIM has a very strange business model, producing what they want versus what everybody else is willing and able to make and for some reason they have managed to hold on to a large portion of their customer base which in itself is amazing to me. They may well be one of the only modern businesses to the able to play that game and not lose their shirt in the process, at least not yet.
    Thanks, your post basically proved my point.
    09-18-10 05:52 PM
    I guess if rim would make a super phone, I think it would turn their market around.
    09-20-10 09:42 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD