Sitting here, I am wondering what everyone's first and worst mistakes were with your Blackberry? What happened and how did you fix it?

I am fairly new to the BB world so my first mistake is also my worse mistake. Last week my mistake would make Paris Hylton look like a member of MENSA.

I downloaded a memory optimizer app for my 8320. I read "most" of the directions before I ran the app. Thinking I had the gist of it, I deleted the programs that I do not use. Including the default themes that came preinstalled on my BB. I didn't need them since I download my own.

I finished and rebooted and all of ny themes were gone! I of course could not go to bed when my beloved Ludwig was suffering from amnesia. After searching all night I finally found out that it is a really bad decision to erase your default themes whether they are fugly or not. I wound up having to reinstall my OS. I thought I had royally screwed up for a while.

My lesson? Don't go he!! leather with an app without reading ALL of the directions, and default themes ARE your friend! So don't let me feel stupid alone...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-09 10:51 AM
    Not getting one - I resolved that. Twice.
    01-13-09 10:51 AM
    Getting married.

Oh, wait...sorry, I didn't read far enough. Carry on...
    01-13-09 10:53 AM
    No major mistakes as of yet. "Yet" being the operative word of course
    01-13-09 10:54 AM
    Getting married.

Hee hee hee. That was funny.
    01-13-09 10:55 AM
    Getting married.

Too funny!!!

The BB is my 3rd smartphone and 5th overall PDA, so hopefully most of my silly mistakes are behind me. Thanks mainly to Crackberry, I haven't really made any major mistakes with my Curve. Although, given the opportunity, I'm sure I'll fall into a bear trap or two!

01-13-09 11:03 AM
    I went on a App Deleting Frenzy and accidentally deleted Word Mole.

I don't have a PC so I have to make due with no Word Mole on my Bold.

Luckily though, It's still on my Storm
    01-13-09 11:05 AM
    I went on a App Deleting Frenzy and accidentally deleted Word Mole.

I don't have a PC so I have to make due with no Word Mole on my Bold.

Luckily though, It's still on my Storm
    That would truly kill me. I love that game.
    01-13-09 11:06 AM
    My biggest mistake wasn't with my BB but with someone elses.

A poster asked how to clear all their calendar entries. My answer:
    wipe the device. A much more learned member came behind me
    and explained that all they needed to do was clear the calendar
    database in DM, but was too late. I felt horrible.

This I should point out was when I was a relative newb.
    01-13-09 11:07 AM

And well you should have, AG...well you should have!
    01-13-09 11:09 AM
    LOL LuvMyBB! Me too, but since I could not resolve that issue by upgrading his OS I went with this instead. I would also have to edit the thread title to "The first, worst, and LAST mistake..."

01-13-09 11:11 AM
    Despite reading the instructions to back up the Blackberry and the 3rd Party Apps before installing an OS update, I said what the heck, I'll be fine, and installed way. WRONG!!!!! The install crashed, and while I was able to recover the OS (the update), and my settings and messages etc, the 3rd Party Apps were gone and had to be d/l'd again. Lesson learned now I do a full backup and a 3rd Party App backup BEFORE I update. (And yes I backup regularly anyways, always did that) Interestly since the incedent updates (Yea I load all the leaks) have gone flawlessly.
    01-13-09 11:14 AM

This I should point out was when I was a relative newb.
    Ouch, that had to be a bad feeling.
    01-13-09 11:16 AM
    That is what makes me nervous AG. Sometimes I think I know the answer to a question posted on here and I am scared to post it thinking I may be wrong. I always check back to see if the other answers posted would match mine. Live and learn I guess!

01-13-09 11:31 AM
    I can't explain mine but I was upgrading to 4.5 and I bricked my 8330 for like 2 hrs I think a 507 or. 567 lol

01-13-09 11:38 AM
    That is what makes me nervous AG. Sometimes I think I know the answer to a question posted on here and I am scared to post it thinking I may be wrong. I always check back to see if the other answers posted would match mine. Live and learn I guess!
    Roger that! Fortunately the member with the right answer did not chew my legs
    off because he knew I was new. He pointed me in the right direction, PM'ed
    me some useful links and to this day has my undying gratitude for the way
    that he handled the whole thing.
    01-13-09 11:43 AM
    dropping it while getting out of my car. slipped outta my hands as i was closing the car door. it was all like, in slooooooow motion. i could see it falling, but couldn't do anything about it. this was after almost 4 months of having it.
    01-13-09 11:46 AM
    Something was wrong with my phone, but I can't recall what it was. Having not yet discovered crackberry, my brilliant solution was to delete the service books for my browser.

01-13-09 01:12 PM
    Trying to help someone that misunderstood a comment and actually "unplugged" his Blackberry in the middle of upgrading their OS. Mine was unplugged two days earlier as my big foot(12 y/o; size 14) son accidently (yeah, sure) unplugged my BB from my laptop. Anyway, spent half the night talking him thru the process to revive his nuked berry. He mentioned later that he had the information posted on CrackBerry for reviving a "nuked" berry - but was nervous. So, even with good intentions, it happens.
    01-13-09 01:44 PM
    dropping it while getting out of my car. slipped outta my hands as i was closing the car door. it was all like, in slooooooow motion. i could see it falling, but couldn't do anything about it. this was after almost 4 months of having it.
    I can second that-

On a Really Really Rainy Day I was driving with my phone in between my legs on the seat, and when I got out, The Phone Came out with me.

Much to my Dismay, I of course had to park right over a rather deep puddle.

Of Course I wanted to DIE when I saw it sink to the bottom.

::Cries::
    01-13-09 01:50 PM
    Installing that "Surreal" theme. Oh that app error was about as surreal as you can get. The only way I was able to fix it was to post on CB and spend half the night trying different ways to fix it until it finally worked.

01-13-09 01:50 PM
    I upgraded my os on the bold, and had synced with outlook, so unchecked the backup box before upgrading.
    Started up to a wiped-clean bold. After working out I'd done, I synced with outlook and got back most of what had been lost, then got a bit more back from the pc.
    Lost a little data but nothing of consequence + now I know to always back up when upgrading...

01-13-09 02:02 PM
    Well, not a BB but it was a fun cell phone incident. My brother-in-law was helping a friend do some tar patching on his roof. He had his cell phone on one of those belt clip holsters, and didn't take it off before he climbed up. The inevitable happened, and it got knocked off. It fell right over the patched area; over and over, rolling through the nice, sticky tar-like substance.

Then it reached the edge and fell to the pavement.
    01-13-09 02:17 PM
    I've done that a couple times to prada, but thankfully, knock on wood, not into a puddle. I'm surprised at how well these BB's stand up to a beating. Mine gets dropped at least once a week, and other then some minor cosmetic knick's and scratches, you wouldn't be able to tell.

01-13-09 02:30 PM
    Deleting Bbm And After Many Many Calls To Tmo, I Just Reloaded The Os And Got It Back Like Someone On Cb Told Me Too....

Let Me Find Out The Members Here Need To Work For The Phone Companies For Troubleshooting
    01-13-09 02:32 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD