Yes they have a multi billion dollar IP portfolio.
    At BB's valuation, perhaps. I suspect that outsiders - people who actually have money to spend - would probably value BB's patents closer to $1B (US), not multi-billions. Recent history has demonstrated that most patent portfolios aren't actually worth as much as previously thought, and haven't been selling for nearly as much lately. And this wouldn't just be true for BB, but for anyone.
    01-09-16 12:13 AM
    When BlackBerry was updated to 10.2 to 10.2.1, the difference was huge, same with 10.3 to 10.3.1.

Posted via CB10
    No, they weren't. They were incremental changes, mostly cosmetic, apart from the removal of flash which got a lot of people up in arms because flash in the browser was one of the ways in which BlackBerry shrank the app gap, without apps.
    Sure, we were lucky that one developer solved that problem with Zeus, but there was absolutely no significant functional improvement from 10.3 to 10.3.1.
    I remember how upset my 79-year old mother was when I updated her z30 from 10.2.1 to 10.3.1 because the layout changed and she could no longer watch her favourite TV channels across the Internet, all of which were using flash...
    01-09-16 03:21 AM
    Why on earth would Google want BlackBerry? It seems the only reason they bought Motorola was for the patents. Does BlackBerry have a rich patent portfolio? I don't know.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Yes, it does. Its own and one third of the Nortel patents which sold for 5B USD a few years ago.
    01-09-16 03:24 AM
    Why on earth would Google want BlackBerry? It seems the only reason they bought Motorola was for the patents. Does BlackBerry have a rich patent portfolio? I don't know.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Patents and the ONE thing still for which the BlackBerry name carries cachet, Security.
    eggman1987 likes this.
    01-09-16 03:39 PM
    Just my opinion, but I seriously doubt the value of BB's patents. When BB was for sale under Thor, you could have bought the whole company, lock, stock and barrel for a few billion (9Bn, was it?) ... and BB was a lot bigger back then with presumably more asset value?

There were no takers.

I'm sure BB holds a ton of patents relating to the PKB... anyone here see the world clamouring for PKB devices?, coz I don't. There's probably a ton more related to BIS... any takers for those?

I'm sure BB's patents are valuable, but worth billions? - I don't think so.
    dolco likes this.
    01-09-16 04:39 PM
    Just my opinion, but I seriously doubt the value of BB's patents. When BB was for sale under Thor, you could have bought the whole company, lock, stock and barrel for a few billion (9Bn, was it?) ... and BB was a lot bigger back then with presumably more asset value?

There were no takers.

I'm sure BB holds a ton of patents relating to the PKB... anyone here see the world clamouring for PKB devices?, coz I don't. There's probably a ton more related to BIS... any takers for those?

I'm sure BB's patents are valuable, but worth billions? - I don't think so.
    I don't think anyone really knows how much those patents are worth today, but ages ago (2013) the WSJ suggested about 2.25 Billion. re: How Much Are BlackBerry?s Patents Worth? - Digits - WSJ
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-09-16 06:09 PM
    LOL, op, you nailed it. How long ago did BB10 come out? Well we've been hearing about the demise of BIS and BB7 since before the release of BB10, how BlackBerry won't be able to "afford" to "support" more than one os, yet BIS still hasn't gone dark. Every day I laugh at the toxicity of this site and the many BlackBerry hating clowns who hang out on it.
    skstrials, Couver81 and acovey like this.
    01-09-16 09:34 PM
    I think it's the Android junkies, they all want the same apps and they all want to be the same just like the iPhone junkies. A Blackberry without a Blackberry OS is NOT a Blackberry.
    BB10 Os is the soul of a True BlacBerry smartphone!

  
    acovey likes this.
    01-10-16 03:47 AM
    BB10 Os is the soul of a True BlacBerry smartphone!

  
    I think it is the PKB and possibly the 9900 tool belt.
    acovey likes this.
    01-10-16 12:06 PM
84 ... 234