Right off the bat, I work for Rim as a product manager. On tuesday I went to a local bar with some co workers and friends, and before going I made a mental note to take notice of what kind of phones the majority of the people there were using. This bar was in a very upscale, suburban area. After about two hours there my report is this: the overwhelming majority of the people there had blackberrys. The most popular model was the bold, followed by the curve 3g, and a few torchs. On the android side, it was all 4in slabs and droids. I saw a few iphones, but surprisingly they were almost alll 3gs's.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-11 07:01 AM
    So why exactly are we crazy? And might I suggest your local universe is skewed in favor of RIM products? I mean if you work for RIM, you must be physically close to the company and so is everyone else. So it's not surprising there are a lot of BB users there.

I went to a few restaurants with my daughters in Florida. My 17 year old noted that almost everyone (except her, poor thing) had an iPhone.
    08-04-11 07:09 AM
    This is not going to become a flamefest.

OP, I'd sugest you rethink your title, and request a new one. Not sure who you're calling crazy, but it's not going to go over well.
    757EliasHZ likes this.
    08-04-11 07:37 AM
    Close to RIM there'll definitely be more Blackberries than other phones.

I also think it's a Canadian thing as well. For the last year I've been paying attention to what people are using in Toronto, and I would say close to 80% are using Blackberries - and that's from a pretty damn large sample size. It sounds like it's a lot different in the US.

Although, I have to say I'm surprised at how often I see characters on TV shows and movies using Blackberries. It's probably not as much as the iPhone now, but it's still pretty common.
    08-04-11 07:41 AM
    I'm a little confused with the title as well.
    OP would you clarify your position a little further?
    08-04-11 07:42 AM
    I recently took a flight to Atlanta. It was delayed and I was bored, so I began phone spotting. I couldn't even count the number the iPhones; there were THAT many. As far as Android devices, the numbers were much more modest. There were also quite a few BlackBerries. The woman I sat next to had a Bold 9000; we talked about the new Bold 9900. There were four Bold 9650s; a Tour 9630 or two; many of the 8520/8530 Curves; and six Torch 9800s. Surprisingly, I did not spot any 9700s; guess, all the 9700 users had gone iPhone...

08-04-11 07:50 AM
    Right off the bat, I work for Rim as a product manager.
    ROFLMFAO

No sh!t? Me too!!!!
    jinxednuance likes this.
    08-04-11 07:57 AM
    Well call me crazy and slap me on the behind....if you had seen me you would have seen me pulling the battery out of my storm 1 for the 12th time that day because RIM has not released any phone on VZW and none in the near future. So you may see me using an I phone in the near future because I have no choice. By the way, in light of that...what product do you manage? Please tell me its not timing....
    Last edited by gregs87; 08-04-11 at 08:10 AM.
    08-04-11 08:00 AM
    I'm not based in canada....I live and work in the us. My point being, I read the forums here and everyone keeps saying how behind and outdated blackberrys have become, and frankly I'm just not seeing it.

08-04-11 08:01 AM
    Hmm.

I don't work for RIM, I'm not a project manager, I don't live in Canada but I do have a BB.

I'm not sure if this makes me crazy or not, nor whether that is a good thing.

Are you saying its good that all these people have BBs or that it's bad? I don't really follow your argument.
    08-04-11 08:03 AM
    I'm not based in canada....I live and work in the us. My point being, I read the forums here and everyone keeps saying how behind and outdated blackberrys have become, and frankly I'm just not seeing it.

I think you just see the most vocal people on sites like Crackberry.

BBs are still very popular - at least here in UK anyway. I've been in similar situations to you and seen many more BBs than Android/iPhones.
    08-04-11 08:07 AM
    Hmm.

I don't work for RIM, I'm not a project manager, I don't live in Canada but I do have a BB.

I'm not sure if this makes me crazy or not, nor whether that is a good thing.

Are you saying its good that all these people have BBs or that it's bad? I don't really follow your argument.
    I definetly think its a good thing! My livelihood depends on it! Lol. But in all seriousness, I honestly think blackberry still is extremely relevent in both the business and consumer sectors, despite what a lot of people seem to imply

Lyls likes this.
    08-04-11 08:23 AM
    I definetly think its a good thing! My livelihood depends on it! Lol. But in all seriousness, I honestly think blackberry still is extremely relevent in both the business and consumer sectors, despite what a lot of people seem to imply

Ah, we agree then

A couple of years ago, if I went on a train all I would see would be iPhones. Now I see a large proportion of phones are BBs. From my not-at-all-scientific experience, the majority I see are either 9700s or 8520s.
    08-04-11 08:30 AM
    Poor souls are still stuck in their old contracts.....

Key is, people have blackberries but people are not buying blackberries.
    08-04-11 08:32 AM

Well I agree....its just that right now I can't buy one because there are none to buy and I am stuck with VZW because of the area where I live.....not your fault I know, but come on.....there is nothing to buy and I can only hold out as long as this storm lasts which, trust me....it wont be long.
    08-04-11 08:35 AM
    Poor souls are still stuck in their old contracts.....

Key is, people have blackberries but people are not buying blackberries.
    Best point made yet! My contract has been up for over 18 months by the way. Have just been waiting on RIM and VZW...Still no end in sight.
    08-04-11 08:39 AM
    I feel for the vzw customers. Its a topic we talk about everyday. I hate to say it it, but our offering of bb models for vzw is embarassing.
    In respect to the poster saying those people are stuck in old contracts. I disagree. Here's why. This crowd of people I was among have expendable income. Sticking with a phone they hate just to wait untill their contract upgrade is ludacris. Besides who keeps a phone for two years just to get a discount on a new phone? There are plenty of other outlets to by a phone. Craigslist, ebay, trade or buy off a friend, or just straight up buy it from your carrier.

08-04-11 08:49 AM
    Well then, glad that's settled. They're not crazy, they've just come down with droiditis. I'm sure a dose of QNX will cure them.
    08-04-11 08:54 AM
    Well call me crazy and slap me on the behind....if you had seen me you would have seen me pulling the battery out of my storm 1 for the 12th time that day because RIM has not released any phone on VZW and none in the near future. So you may see me using an I phone in the near future because I have no choice. By the way, in light of that...what product do you manage? Please tell me its not timing....
    Yup. I am on Verizon. I now have an iPhone. My other choice was another 9550, which sorta sucked in comparison. I would have preferred a newer model BB, but for whatever reason VZW and BB are not friends.
    08-04-11 09:11 AM
    And how is the iphone working for you....not to get off topic.....
    08-04-11 09:13 AM
    You'd think a project manager could articulate themselves a little better.
    08-04-11 09:22 AM
    Rofl.....you'd have to buy that load in the first place! But yeah, assuming this was real, you'd think so.
    08-04-11 09:30 AM
    Rofl.....you'd have to buy that load in the first place! But yeah, assuming this was real, you'd think so.
    I definitely don't believe it. Also, my bad. OP said product manager, not project manager. Still, though.
    08-04-11 09:45 AM
    I'm typing from my bb in between stops on my motorcycle.
    The funny thing is we don't care about the iphone. At all. It never comes up in meetings. Even though the 9900/9930 has better specs than the iphone, we (me) expect it to appeal to current bb owners more than "recruiting" iphone customers.

08-04-11 09:46 AM
    Product manager. Not project manager. Lol.

08-04-11 09:51 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD