<ahem> Ok, so much for that idea . Anyway, interesting story on PCWorld today, regarding why Android(s) is taking share away from iOS.

Why Android Is Stealing Share from iOS - PCWorld Business Center
    09-07-10 08:42 PM
    I have to disagree. If you observe this, you'll notice that for the most part (but not ALL), people tend to get upset over blind fanboiism (on all sides) to the extent of calling a device "epic fail" or "pure garbage," etc. Those are the posts that are, themselves, pure garbage and epic fail. As any sane, moderate, level headed and tech aware person will admit (and I realize that by virtue of that very definition, there are a lot of folks around here who do not quallify) that all of the phones offer features and hardware that are at the very least, acceptable. Stats on paper mean nothing, it's actual, in-the-field performance that matters and then it's very, very subjective. Obviously, there are MANY BB, iPhone and Android users who are happy with what they have, so it's obvious that all the manufacturers make relatively decent devices.

You use the words "Open mind" and the reference to "call a spade a spade" and that is a two-way street (and I'm not implying that any of this has to do with you in particular, but you did bring this up so I am responding to you). People throw out stats around here like they were imprinted on stone tablets and the voice above is stating these things as fact and if the device you happen to own, doesn't have the very highest of the stats list, then the device obviously sucks! THIS is what raises the hair on the back of my neck. It also makes me realize that many of those posts are probably made by 12 year olds who have no clue.

Thoughtful, reasoned, impartial information, along with caveats of preferences, rarely get people's hackles up.

This month or next it's looking like I'll no longer own a RIM/BB product, does that mean my opinions and assistance I can still offer to folks here won't be wanted either?

Some folks are way too touchy about criticism of the device they happen to use. Use an open mind and call a spade a spade.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by EnergyPlus; 09-07-10 at 09:31 PM.
    09-07-10 08:48 PM
    I have to disagree. If you observe this, you'll notice that for the most part (but not ALL), people tend to get upset over blind fanboiism (on all sides) to the extent of calling a device "epic fail" or "pure garbage," etc. Those are the posts that are, themselves, pure garbage and epic fail. As any sane, moderate, level headed and tech aware person will admit (and I realize that by virtue of that very definition, there are a lot of folks around here who do not quallify) that all of the phones offer features and hardware that are at the very least, acceptable. Stats on paper mean nothing, it's actual, in-the-field performance that matters and then it's very, very subjective. Obviously, there are MANY BB, iPhone and Android users who are happy with what they have, so it's obvious that all the manufacturers make relatively decent devices.

You use the words "Open mind" and the reference to "call a spade a space" and that is a two-way street (and I'm not implying that any of this has to do with you in particular, but you did bring this up so I am responding to you). People through out stats around here like they were imprinted on stone tablets and the voice above is stating these things as fact and if the device you happen to own, doesn't have the very highest of the stats list, then the device obviously sucks! THIS is what raises the hair on the back of my head. It also makes me realize that many of those posts are probably made by 12 year olds who have no clue.
    Ok, look through my posts? Am I a little down on Tour right now? Sure. I don't care much for the signal strength issues, etc I've been having.

I have made comments that BIS needs significant improvement to allow for browsing archived emails like BES users can get, and that the continual lagging (caused partially it seems by BBM groups even) gets old, and could be hardware or software related, but definitely needs to be addressed, because it is annoying. If you're going to offer a feature, perhaps it should work.

Edited to add:

I hate seeing anyone touting any device as the only device that doesn't suck. I'll jump in and try to tell someone to knock it off, if someone throws up a "BB sucks" post just like I will when someone throws an "android sucks" or "iphone sucks" reply/thread. They all have their advantages and all have their disadvantages.

Last edited by the_sandman_454; 09-07-10 at 09:33 PM.
    09-07-10 09:03 PM
    when i had a storm, i would just load trusty lyricidal and all my problems were solved (well most of them)
    09-07-10 10:45 PM
    The "Mystery Brews" of any OS, saving some and decimating others, never fails to amaze me. I have never installed any hybrid and never had to. I read damn near every thread on the various concoctions, both the pros and the cons, and always came up with "I'm not having any problems to speak of, why fix it if it ain't broke?" The only time I was tempted was with the sticking keys on my S2. Many claimed it fixed the problem (and some also reported the problem returing after a week or so) and I almost went for it until I opted for the replacement. There seems to be so many claims for improved battery life and then, so many claims of decreased battery life! Both my S1 and S2 work fine, but I realize others praise the hybrids. Go figure!

when i had a storm, i would just load trusty lyricidal and all my problems were solved (well most of them)
    09-08-10 12:06 AM
    The "Mystery Brews" of any OS, saving some and decimating others, never fails to amaze me. I have never installed any hybrid and never had to. I read damn near every thread on the various concoctions, both the pros and the cons, and always came up with "I'm not having any problems to speak of, why fix it if it ain't broke?" The only time I was tempted was with the sticking keys on my S2. Many claimed it fixed the problem (and some also reported the problem returing after a week or so) and I almost went for it until I opted for the replacement. There seems to be so many claims for improved battery life and then, so many claims of decreased battery life! Both my S1 and S2 work fine, but I realize others praise the hybrids. Go figure!
    If I had just one dollar for every post I've seen since last year, complaining that this official OS or that official OS killed battery life (BS), I'd be one rich dude. First they complained that 607 killed batteries (BS), then they complained that 713 killed batteries (BS). Poor reception areas or too many apps are what depleted their batteries. I had decent battery life all the way back to the S1 running the god-awful .75 OS. 320, 607, and 713 all provide the SAME battery life to our two S2's. (I think I skipped .148, but can't remember for sure)
    09-08-10 12:29 AM
    be that as it may, Flash doesn't work so well on your Mac's, does it?
    Flash works fine for me... But what does that have to do with iTunes?
    09-08-10 10:40 AM
    Flash works fine for me... But what does that have to do with iTunes?
    Yea, same. Flash doesn't really drag my Mac down in any meaningful way.
    09-08-10 10:48 AM
    Yea, same. Flash doesn't really drag my Mac down in any meaningful way.
    ah, to hear the legions of Apple faithful defending Job's position on how "awful" Flash is, they all claim that Flash performs poorly on Macs. they mention that it crashes often and it's a CPU hog.

No mention by them that allowing Flash on the iPhone and touch would severely cut into Apple profits flowing from their App store.
    09-08-10 11:29 AM
    My buddy has an iMac and since my own business site is Flash-based (for displaying my photography), I've checked it out on his computer and it's always worked just fine. I never saw or experienced any problems, so I'm a bit confused by this. I'm certainly not an Apple fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm also very open to it. In fact, I'm the one who recommended the iMac to my friend, after his years of frustration with PCs (and calling me for tech support, lol. I told him "once you get the Mac, I won't be able to help you, be warned). He loves the Mac and it really suits him perfectly, though not without at least a few problems here and there. Still, it's a great computer for him.

As for the whole mobile issue with Flash, I guess it depends on how you use your phone. Personally, my phone is NOT a replacement for a computer (see my sig below). I rarely have encountered an issue with my S2 having problems with a site, but then, I usually am only visiting news or information sites. I surf them every morning over coffee and it works fine.
    09-08-10 12:14 PM
    No mention by them that allowing Flash on the iPhone and touch would severely cut into Apple profits flowing from their App store.
    How would allowing flash on the iPhone cut into the App store?

The only way I can see that, is through FarmVille.

And that's free.

Oh, and pr0n.

But there aren't any pr0n apps...
    09-08-10 12:30 PM
    prada! :::: plans on having a long chat ::::

And getting some links. Maybe......
    I'm skeered what your watching
    09-08-10 12:46 PM
    what part of going onto a forum for a product you don't own (or no longer own) and disparging the product don't u understand as being trollish behavior??? jeez! If you are done with the product, be DONE with it, including interacting with those that still use it. now there's a novel idea!! You are like the people that go onto Engadget to comment on iPhones if you are an android fanboi, or an iPhone fanboi who comments negatively on droid stories. is it any wonder that such comments get routinely attacked?
    Last time I checked, the creators of this community WANT you to stay even if you no longer own a BB or use one at the moment. How do you know I still don't own a RIM product? How do you know that I don't deal with them on a daily basis? Do you just assume everything in life? Please, get over it. I will post where I want to post and say what I want to say as long as I obey the rules. Keep it up with the personal attacks (yea toll is a personal attack). Seems like the word of the year for BB users on this forum.

I'm like those people? Really? Last time I checked those people completely bash a product. I am not bashing anything. I am saying RIM can't compete with what they currently offer compared to the competition in the consumer world. I am not saying RIM products suck. Big difference.

Also, I am not an Android fanboy. I am not a fanboy of any sorts. I have used all the platforms and have experience with all. I recognize the strengths and weaknesses of each platform, something a fanboy can't do. I have no love for any company, and would switch on the dime if I found something better from any one of them. Again, something a true fanboy would not do.

It sounds like you have a superiority complex. "OMG stop posting on my forum whaaaaa". Cry more please.
    09-08-10 12:48 PM
    ah, to hear the legions of Apple faithful defending Job's position on how "awful" Flash is, they all claim that Flash performs poorly on Macs. they mention that it crashes often and it's a CPU hog.

That right there might be why RIM is holding out on adding it - insuffient CPU's and so forth.
    09-08-10 12:49 PM

Flash does have a tendency to perform worse on Macs than it does on a PC. There is a website that uses flash that when you try to load it, it just crashes.

Flash works perfectly fine on my MacBook Pro and MacBook. No crashes at all. Unless if I go to that one site. But that is made to happen.
    09-08-10 12:53 PM
    That right there might be why RIM is holding out on adding it - insuffient CPU's and so forth.
    Bull dinkie! Try Bolt Beta. I have no problem playing a lot of flash through it.
    09-08-10 12:55 PM
    Last time I checked, the creators of this community WANT you to stay even if you no longer own a BB or use one at the moment. How do you know I still don't own a RIM product? How do you know that I don't deal with them on a daily basis? Do you just assume everything in life? Please, get over it. I will post where I want to post and say what I want to say as long as I obey the rules. Keep it up with the personal attacks (yea toll is a personal attack). Seems like the word of the year for BB users on this forum.

I'm like those people? Really? Last time I checked those people completely bash a product. I am not bashing anything. I am saying RIM can't compete with what they currently offer compared to the competition in the consumer world. I am not saying RIM products suck. Big difference.

Also, I am not an Android fanboy. I am not a fanboy of any sorts. I have used all the platforms and have experience with all. I recognize the strengths and weaknesses of each platform, something a fanboy can't do. I have no love for any company, and would switch on the dime if I found something better from any one of them. Again, something a true fanboy would not do.

It sounds like you have a superiority complex. "OMG stop posting on my forum whaaaaa". Cry more please.
    wow! You must not know much about the definition of a superiority complex. Just because I find it abhorrent that ex BB users and non BB users come in here and troll, that is NO INDICATION that I have a superiority complex. It just means I'm sick and tired of all the BS posts about how "my phone can beat up your phone". I'm not married to BB. In fact, today I was looking at the Droid X, the Droid 2, and the dummy sample of the Samsung Galaxy. If I leave the BB platform behind, you won't find me harassing people who are posting in the BB forums. I'll move over to the appropriate forum that covers whatever current phone I own. Your issue is you are immature and unable to recognize that simple fact. Now stop stirring up trouble or I'm going to sic the goons on you!
    09-08-10 02:04 PM
    wow! You must not know much about the definition of a superiority complex. Just because I find it abhorrent that ex BB users and non BB users come in here and troll, that is NO INDICATION that I have a superiority complex. It just means I'm sick and tired of all the BS posts about how "my phone can beat up your phone". I'm not married to BB. In fact, today I was looking at the Droid X, the Droid 2, and the dummy sample of the Samsung Galaxy. If I leave the BB platform behind, you won't find me harassing people who are posting in the BB forums. I'll move over to the appropriate forum that covers whatever current phone I own. Your issue is you are immature and unable to recognize that simple fact. Now stop stirring up trouble or I'm going to sic the goons on you!
    Who am I harassing? WTF are you talking about. Saying hardware is insufficient isn't harassing someone.

If you are sick of it use the damn ignore feature. It's there for a reason. Go sic the "goons" on me. Tell them I said hello as well.
    09-08-10 02:35 PM
    Who am I harassing? WTF are you talking about. Saying hardware is insufficient isn't harassing someone.

If you are sick of it use the damn ignore feature. It's there for a reason. Go sic the "goons" on me. Tell them I said hello as well.
    LOL! I was speaking in generalities about "harassing"--not referring to YOU per se. as far as the goons, for gawd's sakes, get a sense of humor!!
    09-08-10 02:42 PM

Holy cow!

Ya'll need to kiss and make up.

You both are quite intelligent, but damn
    09-08-10 02:46 PM
    Cute! LOL!

---
    09-08-10 02:50 PM
    LOL! I was speaking in generalities about "harassing"--not referring to YOU per se. as far as the goons, for gawd's sakes, get a sense of humor!!
    I have a sense of humor. I mean I did say to tell them I said hello right? lol
    09-08-10 03:02 PM
    Bull dinkie! Try Bolt Beta. I have no problem playing a lot of flash through it.
    Bolt on my 8130 was great. Bolt on my S2 is utter failure, one of a few apps that absolutely does not work on my device.
    09-08-10 05:35 PM
    Bolt on my 8130 was great. Bolt on my S2 is utter failure, one of a few apps that absolutely does not work on my device.
    Gosh darn StormTroopers!

Tis a same. You ever write them about it? I am speaking of the beta version. Honestly, I haven't a clue why Bolt can, and RIM can't.
    09-08-10 05:48 PM
    The reason the device's horsepower doesn't come into play with Bolt or Opera is simply because their servers compress the pages, isn't it?

09-08-10 06:17 PM
105 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD