Lmao wow this post is a completely pointless. Yall really need to go out more often and get out of your little nerd holes for a couple of hours atleast and quit arguing about non sense. This is business. And business is making money by producing new and better products. Can't keep up with new technology coming out every week then its your fault. Talkin about CPUs and computer hardware and what not when there's **** load of booze out there and club full of smokin hot babes...SMH

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Don't you worry--no one is being forced to participate here. I think we're all here of own free will--at least I am. I quit drinking when I grew up, and I'm married, so there's no need for me to go to a club full of "smokin' hot babes". Enjoy yourself, sport.
    09-03-10 11:55 PM
    My booze and babes days are long over too. I still have booze that a friend gave me as a housewarming gift two homes ago...

And last party we had we ended up with more booze than we started with because people brought more, but nobody drank it!

I'm so old...
    09-04-10 12:11 AM
    My booze and babes days are long over too. I still have booze that a friend gave me as a housewarming gift two homes ago...

And last party we had we ended up with more booze than we started with because people brought more, but nobody drank it!

I'm so old...
    I quit boozing at around age 30 or 31. I sowed plenty of wild oats and had enough close calls that it's a good thing I quit drinking myself into stupors when I did. I still drink a beer (draft, mostly--don't like bottled beer) when I go out for dinner. oh, and I don't feel old--I feel grown up.
    09-04-10 12:35 AM
    FF is no longer used on my systems; Chromium browser ftw.

Firefox with noscript, adblock plus, also, you can place all of the icons, search and address bar in a single toolbar in firefox. I did that, it looks like the style of chromium and even smaller with classic compact and changing the settings in the component arranger makes them even smaller.

FF for security, chrome for speed. If a page won't load on FF, it loads on chrome. This is on a netbook and desktop running ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

Desktop is 9.6 years old, netbook is 1.5 years old. Both boot within 10 seconds. Desktop triboots ubuntu, win7 and XP SP3 and handles all of my video editing needs. 720p is the maximum it'll handle.

BTW, my desktop & netbook are in my sig below.

09-04-10 02:30 AM
    Um what chess game is this? if it's a poorly coded one it can take up all resources, even if it's a 80kb download.
    That's what I would suspect is the culpret. A poorly written app, hogging all the RAM. Pete6 and I have both tested running over 40 apps at once, and had no lag. I always have 15 apps open in appswitcher, and if it were an issue, I'd for damn sure close some. Ditch the crappy chess game, and get happy. Just don't booze it up, or you'll likely download another bad app and start this all over again.
    09-04-10 05:11 AM
    Yep, I agree with BigBadWulf, unless OP has a ton of apps loaded on his phone and does not have enough RAM left to process the code of an even well coded app.
    09-04-10 07:55 AM
    I've been at this from both sides, and can pretty much guess that it is just a crappy Chess App! Any moderately well written app actually has very little for the CPU to do while it's shutting down. Even if it used ALL available RAM, I would not expect garbage collection (reclaiming RAM for nonprogrammers) to start until after the App was done and control handed back to the user.
    09-04-10 12:15 PM
    You KNOW your smartphone's CPU is insufficient when...

...There are websites created to try to help you downgrade your device's OS because it hardly works after installing iOS4 and a downgrade isn't officially supported

or

...you find out that your 6-month old phone won't be getting 2.1, much less Froyo.

This is a cool game, thanks for starting it up
    COMPLETE B.S.

1) Youre talking about an iOS device (3G) that was released in 2007! Unlike some RIM hardware which is barely a YEAR old which cant run OS6. Even the 2 year old 9000 can't. And you want to compare a THREE year old device which is outside every single customer's 2 year upgrade period? Please! COMPLETELY different.

At least Apple is TRYING to support way outdated devices unlike RIM who barely support older than a year devices.

2) Android upgrade paths are limited by the manufacturers individually; this isn't Google's choice what versions will run on what phones. Android hardware, on devices more capable than any BB out there, could technically run any Android version. Blame the manufactures if they choose not to upgrade their device(s) because they all surely don't do that.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 09-04-10 at 02:29 PM.
    09-04-10 02:24 PM
    itunes 10 takes like a sec or two to load up on my 2008 MBP
    Mine isn't the 2010 model, I bought mine 2 months before they came out.

It is still extremely fast and the best laptop I have ever owned.
    09-04-10 05:08 PM
    COMPLETE B.S.

1) Youre talking about an iOS device (3G) that was released in 2007! Unlike some RIM hardware which is barely a YEAR old which cant run OS6. Even the 2 year old 9000 can't. And you want to compare a THREE year old device which is outside every single customer's 2 year upgrade period? Please! COMPLETELY different.

At least Apple is TRYING to support way outdated devices unlike RIM who barely support older than a year devices.

2) Android upgrade paths are limited by the manufacturers individually; this isn't Google's choice what versions will run on what phones. Android hardware, on devices more capable than any BB out there, could technically run any Android version. Blame the manufactures if they choose not to upgrade their device(s) because they all surely don't do that.
    This. Isn't the 9630 a year old and it wont be getting OS6?

And yes, the newest version of Android is running on the oldest Android device. Manufacturers just decide when to stop supporting it. Thankfully Android has a hacking community that brings all the goodies to everyone.
    09-04-10 05:10 PM
    This. Isn't the 9630 a year old and it wont be getting OS6?

And yes, the newest version of Android is running on the oldest Android device. Manufacturers just decide when to stop supporting it. Thankfully Android has a hacking community that brings all the goodies to everyone.
    Android devices do not all get released with the latest version of Android. In fact, i was just reading a news item about a forthcoming tablet running ancient 1.6. And then there's the issue of "skinning", just to keep things confusing.
    09-04-10 05:55 PM
    Android devices do not all get released with the latest version of Android. In fact, i was just reading a news item about a forthcoming tablet running ancient 1.6. And then there's the issue of "skinning", just to keep things confusing.
    But again, the choice of what Android version to put on is the manufacturers choice, not Google. Their OS is open source and free; its not like the manufacturer has to pay more for the newer version.

They have their own reasons/motivations to use a specific OS version, but thats on each individual manufacturer. Blame them, not Google, the maker of the OS.
    09-04-10 08:11 PM
    But again, the choice of what Android version to put on is the manufacturers choice, not Google. Their OS is open source and free; its not like the manufacturer has to pay more for the newer version.

They have their own reasons/motivations to use a specific OS version, but thats on each individual manufacturer. Blame them, not Google, the maker of the OS.
    ah, where in my post did I "blame" google?? I was merely mentioning the fragmentation in the android camp.
    09-04-10 08:19 PM
    Not denying there's fragmentation, but that's the fault of the manufacturers themselves (along with the multiple skins). They could all be on the same page if they really wanted to, but their greedy motives make people buy new phones to use newer versions.
    09-04-10 10:09 PM
    Not denying there's fragmentation, but that's the fault of the manufacturers themselves (along with the multiple skins). They could all be on the same page if they really wanted to, but their greedy motives make people buy new phones to use newer versions.
    Does it matter if it's the manufacturer?
    All the end users will see is that their device will not be running 2.2 with no logical reason.
    at least with RIM if it's NEW/Upcoming it will be running OS 6
    09-05-10 12:01 AM
    The market will support whatever it will support, and if the Android buyers demand OS 2.2 on their devices, and stick to their convictions/not buy devices without it, and they'll figure out their stuff isn't selling and why...

09-05-10 06:42 AM
    The market will support whatever it will support, and if the Android buyers demand OS 2.2 on their devices, and stick to their convictions/not buy devices without it, and they'll figure out their stuff isn't selling and why...

Not likely.
    Again, the average buyer won't do too much research in advance or will want specific hardware for some reasons, and sometimes the manufacturer/Google perpetually promises 2.2 on all of their devices.
    09-05-10 11:30 AM

stick to their convictions?? Maybe you or I would, but Joe Consumer is a push-over. Look at all the MILLIONS of Apple apologists who have trouble with call connectivity and proximity sensor problems (which apparently will NOT be fixed by iOS 4.1 after all) who refuse to return their iPhones for refund.
    09-05-10 11:35 AM
    Yup, blame the manufacturer. The device is easily capable to running the newest version. Like I said, the older Android device can run the newest Android version, the same cannot be said about BB. It would be painful to see OS6 on an 8330. It might eve be painful to see it on a 9000 because of the low memory.
    Last edited by avt123; 09-05-10 at 12:44 PM.
    09-05-10 12:42 PM
    Does it matter if it's the manufacturer?
    All the end users will see is that their device will not be running 2.2 with no logical reason.
    at least with RIM if it's NEW/Upcoming it will be running OS 6
    They give you a new OS with old hardware. I would rather have the new hardware and old OS, at least I can load the new OS on myself.
    09-05-10 12:43 PM
    stick to their convictions?? Maybe you or I would, but Joe Consumer is a push-over. Look at all the MILLIONS of Apple apologists who have trouble with call connectivity and proximity sensor problems (which apparently will NOT be fixed by iOS 4.1 after all) who refuse to return their iPhones for refund.
    You mean like the millions of Storm apologists who got a phone that was never ever fixed and instead quickly replaced by a new model? There are apologists on all sides of the ball despite your personal hate for Apple.

And in fact proximity is fixed in 4.1 FYI, don't know where you got your misinformation from. Software bugs can easily be fixed, hardware can't.
    09-05-10 02:16 PM
    I've been having issues with BBM running slowly (typing and the words showing up after I'm done typing), the web browser is frustrating with constant HTTP 404 errors (probably the BIS proxy overloaded) and web pages loading slow (and when they do load they suck). I don't run a lot of apps on my phone either. Also having issue where clicking on links won't click the link and I have to move the pointer around and try multiple times even though the pointer is clearly on the link and the ball is working. Blackberry needs to make a lot more improvements than just the hardware and OS. They need to improve the BIS and their NOC. Unfortunately they seem to be in maximize cost per unit, so they will probably keep releasing dated configurations, and not investing in the BIS/NOC.
    09-05-10 02:21 PM
    Software bugs can easily be fixed, hardware can't.
    That my friends is the most intelligent statement in this whole post!
    09-05-10 02:26 PM
    Yup, blame the manufacturer. The device is easily capable to running the newest version. Like I said, the older Android device can run the newest Android version, the same cannot be said about BB. It would be painful to see OS6 on an 8330. It might eve be painful to see it on a 9000 because of the low memory.
    I'm really surprised that people still fuss about BB6 not being available for the 9000 and the 83xx series. The BB6 OS is 170MB+. That is more memory than either the 9000 (128MB), the 8320 (64MB) or 8330 (96MB). Even if you were to strip BB6 down to fit on the 9000, there wouldn't be any room for anything else.

It's not like iOS4 can go onto the original iPhone (or the second generation iPhone). We might see more 256MB devices getting a reduced version of BB6, but I wouldn't expect a BB that is over 2 years old to get it.
    09-05-10 10:01 PM
    I'm really surprised that people still fuss about BB6 not being available for the 9000 and the 83xx series. The BB6 OS is 170MB+. That is more memory than either the 9000 (128MB), the 8320 (64MB) or 8330 (96MB). Even if you were to strip BB6 down to fit on the 9000, there wouldn't be any room for anything else.

It's not like iOS4 can go onto the original iPhone (or the second generation iPhone). We might see more 256MB devices getting a reduced version of BB6, but I wouldn't expect a BB that is over 2 years old to get it.
    I believe iOS 4 can be run on the second gen iPhone (iPhone 3G).

And I know the other devices don't have enough memory. That's the thing though. Many of these older devices on other platforms CAN run the newer versions of each platform. They have the hardware to support it and last somewhat for future use. RIM doesn't do things that way.
    09-05-10 11:07 PM
105 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD