...you are running only 1 app (a chess program) and when you close it out.... well.... it doesn't close.

Instead you get that wonderful spinning clock. And it stays spinning...

...even though nothing else is running, using resources, or even downloading or uploading data.

Yea, can we finally put to rest this falsehood that rim uses the CPU's that "if feels is fast enough" for the phone? Especially since we know now that it's more a matter of overbought inventory they are trying to clear out (thank you for the info crackberry podcasters)...

AH, there. The clock quit spinning and I get to see the program is closed and I finally regain access to my phone.
    09-03-10 05:00 PM
    OK...now go to a late-model, fast PC and start up itunes or Firefox, after a reboot. Does either app start instantly? No? gee...
    09-03-10 05:26 PM
    But on late model smartphones constructed with ample & adequate processors, everything runs smoothly. Done with 1 (one) app? Close it. It closes.

You see, I was discussing smartphones , not computers . Therein lies the error of your analogy.

Attempt at making excuses for a company falling further behind due to it's arrogance: FAILED. .
    09-03-10 05:51 PM
    You KNOW your smartphone's CPU is insufficient when...

...There are websites created to try to help you downgrade your device's OS because it hardly works after installing iOS4 and a downgrade isn't officially supported

or

...you find out that your 6-month old phone won't be getting 2.1, much less Froyo.

This is a cool game, thanks for starting it up
    09-03-10 06:15 PM
    But on late model smartphones constructed with ample & adequate processors, everything runs smoothly. Done with 1 (one) app? Close it. It closes.

You see, I was discussing smartphones , not computers . Therein lies the error of your analogy.

Attempt at making excuses for a company falling further behind due to it's arrogance: FAILED. .

your analysis that the CPU is at fault when some app takes a few moments to close shows YOU FAILED at zeroing in on the cause of the fault, which in some cases is the APP. Also, there are times when the phone is doing something in the background that you aren't aware of, so when YOU are interacting with some app, the function that normally occurs quickly gets slowed down. Such is life with smartphones, which are not that much different than computers if you think about it. CPU, RAM, USB, screen, keyboard, media cards...therefore YOU fail at claiming my analogy was in error. Now stick a fork in me--I am SO done.
    09-03-10 06:30 PM
    OK...now go to a late-model, fast PC and start up itunes or Firefox, after a reboot. Does either app start instantly? No? gee...
    yes, actually they do.
    09-03-10 07:03 PM
    yes, actually they do.
    not after a reboot. itunes is so bloated it would take a while to open on a supercomputer.
    My OLD PC (AMD 64 3200+) can open Excel 2003 in one second flat. That's one well-coded app.
    09-03-10 07:11 PM
    ...you find out that your 6-month old phone won't be getting 2.1, much less Froyo.
    Which phone is that?
    09-03-10 07:14 PM
    I think the app might just suck...............
    09-03-10 07:18 PM
    yes, actually they do.
    Depends on many variables - my desktop with 3 year old hardware is just as fast as my wife's new laptop with 4 times the RAM. Why? She has a slower hard drive. But my 64-bit 'nix netbook is almost as quick about opening things because the software is written differently.
    I get apps that occasionally bog my phone for a few moments, nothing I'm not used to. I've noticed that the orocessor does just fine while running one or multiple apps - where it bogs down is incoming/outgoing connections while I'm using something. THAT could do with being addressed, because that's a bit integral for a mobile device to be making connections. Like putting an $18k dual quad-core gaming PC with 32 gigs of RAM on dial-up - trust me, it'll hang.
    09-03-10 07:20 PM
    your analysis that the CPU is at fault when some app takes a few moments to close shows YOU FAILED at zeroing in on the cause of the fault, which in some cases is the APP. Also, there are times when the phone is doing something in the background that you aren't aware of, so when YOU are interacting with some app, the function that normally occurs quickly gets slowed down. Such is life with smartphones, which are not that much different than computers if you think about it. CPU, RAM, USB, screen, keyboard, media cards...therefore YOU fail at claiming my analogy was in error. Now stick a fork in me--I am SO done.
    And this is also true. >.<
    09-03-10 07:24 PM
    And this is also true. >.<
    alright, wiseguy, I give up! I looked up your emoticon on several sites and couldn't find it. spill.
    09-03-10 08:04 PM
    In the interest of providing "scientific" data, I just did a test with iTunes because, well, I'm bored and apparently have nothing better to do.

Test machine:

Dell Latitude E6500 (two years old...gawd it's old!) with 4 GB RAM, 2.8 Gigwhirls Core2 Duo (T9600), 7200 RPM HD, and running WIN 7. Pretty clean, not too bloated, though I do have a lot of external hardware connected to it (external HD, external DVD writer, printer, scanner, A/V doodad, iPod dock, mem card reader, etc.). Machine boots fast runs good...blah blah blah...

Before reboot: 3 seconds for iTunes to launch.
    After a fresh boot: 9 seconds for iTunes to launch.

I forgot to time FireFox, but it's pretty quick for me. I'd say 2 or 3 seconds after a reboot.

There you have it!

Last edited by ChuckH0308; 09-03-10 at 08:14 PM.
    09-03-10 08:11 PM
    In the interest of providing "scientific" data, I just did a test with iTunes because, well, I'm bored and apparently have nothing better to do.

Test machine:

Dell Latitude E6500 (two years old...gawd it's old!) with 4 GB RAM, 2.8 Gigwhirls Core2 Duo (T9600), 7200 RPM HD, and running WIN 7. Pretty clean, not too bloated, though I do have a lot of external hardware connected to it (external HD, external DVD writer, printer, scanner, A/V doodad, iPod dock, mem card reader, etc.). Machine boots fast runs good...blah blah blah...

Before reboot: 3 seconds for iTunes to launch.
    After a fresh boot: 9 seconds for iTunes to launch.

I forgot to time FireFox, but it's pretty quick for me. I'd say 2 or 3 seconds after a reboot.

There you have it!

fast hard drive, decent CPU. what version of itunes?

I'd love to see FF start in 2 seconds after a reboot! I'm currently running Win 7 on a laptop with a T5500. No speed demon, but it is dual core. My wife (naturally) has the best pc in the house--an HP with faster processor and 4GB of RAM. Plays video so smoothly! I'd get one, but I don't really need one and by waiting, I can leapfrog the speed of her new machine if I wait a few months. I can't check itunes on her machine because it's not installed. I manage her ipods from my machine.
    09-03-10 08:19 PM
    alright, wiseguy, I give up! I looked up your emoticon on several sites and couldn't find it. spill.
    I don't remember what it was originally, picked it up from a friend. Usually winds up where I'm attempting humor, replying to somemething amusing, or when smiley or cheesy grin don't quite fit. Could be just a me thing as I don't see it outside of my social circle lol
    09-03-10 08:23 PM
    iTunes opens instantly on my MacBook Pro.
    09-03-10 08:28 PM
    fast hard drive, decent CPU. what version of itunes?

I'd love to see FF start in 2 seconds after a reboot! I'm currently running Win 7 on a laptop with a T5500. No speed demon, but it is dual core. My wife (naturally) has the best pc in the house--an HP with faster processor and 4GB of RAM. Plays video so smoothly! I'd get one, but I don't really need one and by waiting, I can leapfrog the speed of her new machine if I wait a few months. I can't check itunes on her machine because it's not installed. I manage her ipods from my machine.
    OK, I was wrong. I just rebooted so I could check...lol! It takes about 5 seconds for FF to start after a reboot. It's pretty much instant after the first start.

(sh)iTunes version is 9.0.2.25; I keep telling it to suck it when it asks me to upgrade to whatever the version of the day is.

I don't usually buy or build a new computer until the current one doesn't do something I want it to do. So far I haven't found any good excuses to replace this one. Of course when it had Vista on it I wanted to throw it in the lake, but now it's great!

Oh, and I don't think it matters, but I have 46 GB of music in iTunes.
    09-03-10 08:29 PM
    I think the app might just suck...............
    Ahahahaahahha, lulz.

To finish off for Yester (which I hope you don't mind)?

"I think the app might just suck..............."a lil and needs an overhaul aka update or a new developer to take time to code it correctly so the end process is speeded up for closure of the app.

-rant done-

Thnx, �Tripster�

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-10 08:30 PM
    OK, I was wrong. I just rebooted so I could check...lol! It takes about 5 seconds for FF to start after a reboot. It's pretty much instant after the first start.

(sh)iTunes version is 9.0.2.25; I keep telling it to suck it when it asks me to upgrade to whatever the version of the day is.

I don't usually buy or build a new computer until the current one doesn't do something I want it to do. So far I haven't found any good excuses to replace this one. Of course when it had Vista on it I wanted to throw it in the lake, but now it's great!

Vista was awful when I first got it--pre SP1. It was on my current Toshiba laptop and I was not a happy camper. then SP1 came out and fixed the worst of the problems I was having. I got three copies of Win 7 for $49 each, from Amazon on a pre-order and put it on the Toshiba, my old HP desktop, and a netbook. Win 7 runs so well on all of them that it reinforced to me how crappy any iteration of Vista was.
    You've got me beat on music--I have less than 10GB of files (because I'm deaf in one ear, thanks to surgery, I rip my music as MONO 320 AAC files, saving half the space that they would take up if they were stereo files). I ripped just a small portion of the music that I have on CD's. You know how it is with albums--some of them might have just a song or two that one likes.
    09-03-10 08:42 PM
    Its funny I have a 9700 and I can have as many apps that I want open, using them all, and opening and closing them, and I experience no lag/slowness. Interesting.. A 624 cpu processor is more than enough to handle information on a 480 x 360 screen. To be honest, my bold can probably process information faster than a top of the line android phone. With large, HD screen and extensive apps, I'm sure the faster processor speeds are needed to keep up with the hardware on android phones. A 624 handling a small screen and simpler apps is probably faster.

09-03-10 08:57 PM
    itunes 10 takes like a sec or two to load up on my 2008 MBP
    hehe, but how well is Flash treating you on OSX???? (the lord giveth, and the lord taketh away)

and where is that blu ray drive?? (oh that's right, it's a "big bag of hurt" according to herr Jobs)
    09-03-10 08:57 PM
    Its funny I have a 9700 and I can have as many apps that I want open, using them all, and opening and closing them, and I experience no lag/slowness. Interesting.. A 624 cpu processor is more than enough to handle information on a 480 x 360 screen. To be honest, my bold can probably process information faster than a top of the line android phone. With large, HD screen and extensive apps, I'm sure the faster processor speeds are needed to keep up with the hardware on android phones. A 624 handling a small screen and simpler apps is probably faster.

I started wondering that it might be the radio/connection/internet on people's devices. Some people have tons of apps but don't experience any lag (some people really are telling the truth); and some have few apps and constantly complain about locking up etc. I personally have 8 megs of apps, five of which stay connected when running. And I want them running. Most of the time I'm fine, just occasionally I'll get a lockup - and almost every time, if I just pause and let it sort itself out, it's just a few seconds and when it's done I have a new email/IM/Twitter update/updated weather. So it's entirely possible that people's hangups or lag with their BB's is because it's sending/receiving and nobody ever complained to RIM to beef that up.
    Or, it could just be a crappy chess app. >.<

09-03-10 09:29 PM

FF is no longer used on my systems; Chromium browser ftw.

09-03-10 09:31 PM
    Um what chess game is this? if it's a poorly coded one it can take up all resources, even if it's a 80kb download.
    09-03-10 09:41 PM
    Lmao wow this post is a completely pointless. Yall really need to go out more often and get out of your little nerd holes for a couple of hours atleast and quit arguing about non sense. This is business. And business is making money by producing new and better products. Can't keep up with new technology coming out every week then its your fault. Talkin about CPUs and computer hardware and what not when there's **** load of booze out there and club full of smokin hot babes...SMH

Last edited by luqman24; 09-03-10 at 10:47 PM.
    09-03-10 10:44 PM
105 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD