It's best to keep lithium ion batteries charged as much as possible. Letting it completely drain out constantly will shorten its battery life Though, the occasional full drain (once a month) will also keep it calibrated
    Do not ever drain it. To calibrate the battery, pull it out of the BB for a few seconds and put it back in.
    02-18-10 03:45 PM
    Agreed, draining completely can actually reduce the full charge capacity of your battery. Best policy is to charge it fully any time you can. And not with a charger bought from iveneverheardofthiswebsitebeforeinmylife.com
    02-18-10 04:09 PM
    same here...charges all night
    02-18-10 04:16 PM
    put it on charge and forget about it....till the next morning
    02-18-10 04:31 PM
    My phone goes into my charging pod every night and have never had a problem with yet. Its great waking up to a full charge daily!
    02-18-10 04:35 PM
    What about when you leave it charging overnight through the Laptops usb port? i experienced a slight overheat twice before when i left it charging overnight through via laptop. But it hasn't reoccurred so far. Any ideas as to why that happened? And if i leave the bedside mode on every night isnt that like going to damage the LCD screen after sometime?
    02-18-10 06:13 PM
    I'm not worried about charging my blackberry overnight but I am careful about charging my iphone since there is no easy way for me to change the battery if it ever got damaged or died but BB batteries are about $8 on ebay so no worries

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-18-10 06:19 PM
    I would have to say i get hesitant bout leavinq my phone on thee charger all night. i kno it stops when its fully charged buhh, i've had bad experiences witt doin that so i jst dont do it anymore.
    02-18-10 06:25 PM
    I leave it charging all night only for one reason -- so it lasts longer during the next day. Since I never shut my phone off, I've noticed that even if I charge it up to 100% and then unplug it before sleeping, the charge doesn't last as long the next day. My guess is that it discharges a bit during the 6-8 hours I am sleeping even though I'm not using it for anything.

02-18-10 10:52 PM
    The home charger knows when the phone is charged. But the car charger doesn't have a memory and it doesn't know when the phone is fully charged. Car charger should only be used as a boost and I was always told to not talk on it while charging. I still don't. Probably many will disagree with me.
    The charger doesn't have to be smart. The BlackBerry knows when it's full and stops charging. And, after it's charged, will run off of power supply until removed. I've used many different types of chargers, and when I'm mobile, it is plugged in to keep the Bluetooth from sapping my battery.

So, plugged or unplugged, use it as you see fit.

02-18-10 11:18 PM
    My Tour 9630 'lives' in its charge pod. No worries. It doesn't hurt it in the least bit. It only gets warm when I use it while charging and take it on line. Even then, no issues. Relax, plug it in, and fuggetaboutit. Hope this helps.

02-18-10 11:35 PM
    I always put my Tour on charge at night. It sits in its POD like a good BlackBerry and wakes me up at the correct time. If you are really that worried about it, batteries are CHEAP. Doing a quick search found an OEM battery for less than 10 bucks on Amazon...
    02-19-10 06:20 AM
    The home charger knows when the phone is charged. But the car charger doesn't have a memory and it doesn't know when the phone is fully charged. Car charger should only be used as a boost and I was always told to not talk on it while charging. I still don't. Probably many will disagree with me.
    My car charger (with the BB crest on it) will stop when my battery is full. You can tell that by the bolt on the indocator disappears.
    02-19-10 07:18 AM
    i charge mine overnoc everynoc so i have a bateery good for all day.
    02-19-10 08:44 AM
    Any of you feel this way?
    I have a charger at work and top off my battery if I'm not going to use my 9700 for any length of time. Say I'm going to be in a meeting for an hour ... phone goes in charger. My phone is rarely below 80% at any given time.

When I get home at night, I plug it in again and let it charge until I go to bed when it is always at 100% charge. Then in the morning, it's always fully charged from the night before.

Some have observed that there is no danger in leaving your 9700 plugged in all night. From what I've read, I understand this is completely true. I'd have no reluctance to leave my phone plugged in all night. I never need to do that, but it wouldn't concern me if I did.
    02-19-10 12:56 PM
    My storm has gotten very warm a few times on the car charger, driving long distances and using a music app like pandora I keep it plugged in... but since I had it get real warm I don't leave it car charging..... Now at home is a different story, it goes onto the pod and stays there as my alarm clock until I wake up! Love the pod!
    02-19-10 01:09 PM
    Can't help you with "irrational quirks" as I'm not a psychologist (though, I've played one in theater). As a professional photographer though, I can tell you that my home looks like "battery ****" (or heaven, depending on your perspective) with chargers all over the place. I've never ever, once, had an issue with overnight charging, or even suspected it. Once charging is complete, the battery STOPS charging and only, if needed, will a charge re-initiate to "top off" the charge if an idle discharge rate brings the battery below some threshold.

I'd write more, but I need to scoot and pull some batteries out of one charger and refill it so I have a full supply for the weekend.
    02-19-10 01:10 PM
    What about when you leave it charging overnight through the Laptops usb port? i experienced a slight overheat twice before when i left it charging overnight through via laptop. But it hasn't reoccurred so far. Any ideas as to why that happened? And if i leave the bedside mode on every night isnt that like going to damage the LCD screen after sometime?
    My phone gets hot when charging through my laptop too, so I don't do it
    02-19-10 02:44 PM
    My phone gets hot when charging through my laptop too, so I don't do it
    Unfortunately i keep forgetting my wall charger in my office so i end up using the USB cable in the end.
    02-19-10 06:10 PM
    I would have to say i get hesitant bout leavinq my phone on thee charger all night. i kno it stops when its fully charged buhh, i've had bad experiences witt doin that so i jst dont do it anymore.
    I use the craddle. Everything stays cool.
    02-22-10 08:13 PM
    the op who said he doesn't like to leave his bb charge overnite states he had problem in the past but fail to describe what kinda problem?

and for ppl who are afraid to leave it charge at nite...i think u r too paranoid. i bet u are the same ppl who send the bb back cuz the mute button doesn't squeak...give me a break
    02-22-10 09:13 PM
    I just don't like the thought of leaving it charge overnight even though it automatically stops charging.
    There is absolutely no logic in that statement. That's like saying, "I just don't like the thought of filling up my gas tank, even though I know the gas nozzle will click off when it's full."
    02-22-10 10:02 PM
    Like I said these ppl are the paranoids aka anal aka ocd. They are the one who probably exchange bb 10+ time just to have "problem free" one.

02-22-10 10:23 PM
    I leave my charged at night on my pod and it doesn't degrade my battery. Before I started using a pod, I notice USB chargers tend to heat up my battery and looses it's charges faster.

Charging pod is my new favorite accessory now.
    02-23-10 01:26 AM
    Every phone I ever had I left plugged in over night. The battery always outlasted the phone
    02-23-10 04:53 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD