View Poll Results: Will you buy the London?

Voters
266. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely, I have to get my hands on this!

84 31.58%
  • I like my keyboard too much!

78 29.32%
  • I will stick with my iphone,android,windows phone.

8 3.01%
  • I want to see final product first then will decide.

96 36.09%
    As an early adopter of the PlayBook, in fact I got mine the day it was released, I do not feel I have been "screwed". I had done my research on the device and realized what it did not have. I also understand that sometimes anticipation can turn into frustration as "promised" updates fail to materialize, but I also understand that timelines are flexible. Disappointed, yes, but at the same time my PlayBook has been a very useful tool in my work and in my personal world.

I paid full price for my 32GB model. It was worth the money then and it is worth the money now. Because others are getting a better deal than I got does not make me feel like I have been suckered. Anything tech has a tendency to be higher at introduction than later. However, it would be nice to get a rebate , but I don't expect one. I will, however purchase a 64GB PlayBook and get the discounted price.

If the London is released here, or if one of the other BB10 devices hits here in the US, I will certainly look closely at it. It should be released about the time I am due for another upgrade. This time, I will wait for the Christmas sales to hit before purchasing.
    I like posts like this! Such a good attitude! Hopefully the 2.0 will be worth your wait . And as the post before mentioned the playbook was only my second blackberry device. (my other a bold which didnt impress me) and has won me over!
    02-01-12 09:30 AM
    I have learned my lesson enough times with this company. No chance this is a launch day purchase for me.

I want to double check reviews to make sure of the following...

1.) Is the software actually working and bug free?
    2.) Will the battery last an entire day of heavy use?
    3.) What is the app selection onPurchase day? Not coming soon, coming in 60 days, contact the developer..Is it there on launch day?
    4.) What will the competition be offering? For example, the iPhone 5, quad core Android phones are expected to drop before the London.

You may think this is me being critical of RIM, but I have been burned too many times by this company.

Disclaimer: I was a launch day Blackberry Storm customer.

It doesn't matter what is there Launch Day, it matters what apps are there on Purchase day, Anyone Buying NOW specifically for what is promised in the future fulfills the adage a fool and his money will soon be parted.

I have yet to be burned by RIM and purchased my last 4 primary devices on launch day, sure I could want more, but non of them disappointed.
    02-01-12 09:49 AM
    It doesn't matter what is there Launch Day, it matters what apps are there on Purchase day, Anyone Buying NOW specifically for what is promised in the future fulfills the adage a fool and his money will soon be parted.

I have yet to be burned by RIM and purchased my last 4 primary devices on launch day, sure I could want more, but non of them disappointed.
    To stay competitive, it does matter what's there on launch day. If the apps people want aren't there, there will never be a purchase day. Why would I wait for RIM to add functionality to a device when the competition already has it?

And you are right, anyone buying NOW specifically for what is promised is a fool. I bought a Storm thinking I would be able to navigate correctly through the menus, make phone calls without doing a battery pull, or even have a battery that lasted longer than 5 hours. I was wrong. I was a fool. Never again will I buy something from this company on launch day.
    02-01-12 09:58 AM
    I would like to, but it depends on which hits the market first - Galaxy Journal (Note) or the London. I am barely limping by with my rapidly failing Storm 2.
    02-01-12 09:59 AM
    I love polls like this, but I think this one is pointless until at least OS 2.0 is released. That will be the first true taste of how the BB10 phones will be. Until then, it's complete speculation.
    02-01-12 10:49 AM
    I love polls like this, but I think this one is pointless until at least OS 2.0 is released. That will be the first true taste of how the BB10 phones will be. Until then, it's complete speculation.
    I agree with you cause that is what will eventually be on the phone. But a lot of us have been using the beta and are impressed with the results. 2.0 won't disappoint! Maybe they will have minor bug fixes but I think it's going to be solid!
    02-01-12 11:38 AM
    To stay competitive, it does matter what's there on launch day. If the apps people want aren't there, there will never be a purchase day. Why would I wait for RIM to add functionality to a device when the competition already has it?

And you are right, anyone buying NOW specifically for what is promised is a fool. I bought a Storm thinking I would be able to navigate correctly through the menus, make phone calls without doing a battery pull, or even have a battery that lasted longer than 5 hours. I was wrong. I was a fool. Never again will I buy something from this company on launch day.
    To Sell to early adopters yes it matters what is available on launch day

BUT the Majority of people still buy when their contract is up (North American Market) or when they get the offer from Carriers to renew. so RIM doesn't NEED to have the Apps on launch day, even though it would be nice, as long as when the consumer is buying the device it has the apps.

a $399 PlayBook with Skype & Netflix and what ever the other complaining about Apps we don't have are in February is still a good by, even if the device is a year old, assuming you don't have another tablet already, and if you don't have another tablet already chances are you don't like the other offerings.

I wont be buying the London because it is a touchscreen phone, but I know 2 Storm users who Will be buying it begrudgingly because it will be the best BlackBerry touchscreen phone, they don't like iPhone, or Android because they don't have clicky screens, nor do they have BBM, the 2 things these users want out of a touchscreen phone.
    So the market is full of different folks for different products, the apps at launch are not crucial but they do help
    02-01-12 11:57 AM
    I will wait to see how BB10 fairs. I am not convinced it won't need quite a list of bugs worked out before I run it. I would have been angry if I bought a PB with QNX before this month. BB10 has to be BB in nature, great BES/Exchange support, shortcuts, every single PIM feature intact, etc. PB OS 1.0 was not complete, even if it was innovative in some areas (Web OS copy in others).

I hope they launch it with the right combo of past feature set and new features. I want to wait and see.
    02-01-12 12:05 PM
    Yes, I will buy one. Without a doubt.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    02-01-12 12:07 PM
    Nope, looks like my days of owning blackberry are nearing the end.
    02-01-12 12:10 PM
    So the market is full of different folks for different products, the apps at launch are not crucial but they do help

I couldn't disagree more. If RIM launches with the most popular apps it will drive people back to the platform, increase consumer awareness, and paint Blackberry back into a more popular light. It will show that they really have their act together and were serious about those changes the new CEO promised and add functionality to their devices. Whatever they have to do to get those developers on board they need to do it. Go all in. Offer cash incentives, whatever. Get them on the phone and don't take no for an answer.

If BB10 launches with a similar app selection to the PlayBook, it will suffer the similar fate.

Yes, some people will buy it no matter what because of the BBM, Security, Data Compression, what have you...But, the majority of consumers don't care about those now. Look at the recent sales numbers. Majority of consumers will pass if the basic apps that consumers have come to expect aren't there.
    02-01-12 12:34 PM
    I couldn't disagree more. If RIM launches with the most popular apps it will drive people back to the platform, increase consumer awareness, and paint Blackberry back into a more popular light. It will show that they really have their act together and were serious about those changes the new CEO promised and add functionality to their devices. Whatever they have to do to get those developers on board they need to do it. Go all in. Offer cash incentives, whatever. Get them on the phone and don't take no for an answer.

If BB10 launches with a similar app selection to the PlayBook, it will suffer the similar fate.

Yes, some people will buy it no matter what because of the BBM, Security, Data Compression, what have you...But, the majority of consumers don't care about those now. Look at the recent sales numbers. Majority of consumers will pass if the basic apps that consumers have come to expect aren't there.
    What apps exactly have you deemed, or the consumer has deemed, as an absolute necessity, otherwise the lack thereof definitively spells fail for BB? Please post links to this data, since I am really curious.. Thanks.
    02-01-12 12:43 PM
    It's starting to loose the look of a BlackBerry - I don't want an Androidy looking phone.
    02-01-12 01:16 PM
    I'd have to be pretty dumb to buy this. I have a contract ready but I really won't be buying it. It wouldn't be reasonable.
    CrackBerry will buy it for me.
    #CrackBerryFanboyWinner

But in all reality, I will only be picking this up if don't see a qwerty form factor between now and the Londons release.
    Last edited by Deathcommand; 02-01-12 at 01:22 PM.
    02-01-12 01:20 PM
    i want to see the keyboard edition of this.

if it has the same specs and front facing camera id be all over that.
    02-01-12 01:22 PM
    What apps exactly have you deemed, or the consumer has deemed, as an absolute necessity, otherwise the lack thereof definitively spells fail for BB? Please post links to this data, since I am really curious.. Thanks.
    Email, Calendar, Contacts seem to be important..

DOA: Blackberry PlayBook to Ship Without Mail, Messaging or Contacts | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

Skype's been downloaded over 60 million times, anad this article is old..
    Skype for iOS updated: Bluetooth, image stabilization and adverts (yuck!) | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

Flipboard
    Photosynth
    SoundTracking
    Google Translate
    Pinterest
    IntoNow
    HBO GO
    Garmin StreetPilot onDemand
    Netflix

The Top 20 iPhone And iPad Apps of 2011 | TechCrunch

Just to name a few
    02-01-12 01:26 PM

Will be addressed soon enough

DOA: Blackberry PlayBook to Ship Without Mail, Messaging or Contacts | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

Older then dirt news.

Skype's been downloaded over 60 million times, anad this article is old..
    Skype for iOS updated: Bluetooth, image stabilization and adverts (yuck!) | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

I can live without Skype...no deal breaker in my POV.

Flipboard
    Photosynth
    SoundTracking
    Google Translate
    Pinterest
    IntoNow
    HBO GO
    Garmin StreetPilot onDemand
    Netflix

There are enough equivalent apps for PB, so I'm covered, with one exceptio...the Garmin app is un-necessary with the requisite monthly fee since I prefer my separate Garmin GPS device.

The Top 20 iPhone And iPad Apps of 2011 | TechCrunch

Just to name a few

So, I see nothing listed that will make RIM/BB/PB a failure for not having those apps.
    02-01-12 01:35 PM
    So, I see nothing listed that will make RIM/BB/PB a failure for not having those apps.
    You seem to be missing the point here. RIM needs to get customers back, specifically the US customers. Are those apps essential? Absolutely not. They could keep going on their business as usual, and shrink to about 5% of the US Market next year.

I was simply suggesting a way to be more competitive in the marketplace. You don't need any of those features on a phone, I agree. By all means, release a phone without them. It just won't sell.
    02-01-12 01:39 PM
    I wish I had money to buy a city
    02-01-12 01:39 PM
    Given the phone has no keyboard I'm more than likely going switch to Android or possibly even iPhone as if I must lose the keyboard then I'll switch to a platform that better supports my needs and expectations.

The keyboard is the only thing keeping me with BB
    02-01-12 01:56 PM
    Nope, no keyboard, no purchase
    Stephen,
    You should at least buy this as a secondary device to go along with your 9900. I don't see how you will be able to stay away from this.... I will bet you a few brews that you will buy this when it comes out keyboard or no keyboard.
    02-01-12 01:57 PM
    So I'm picturing those two losers in the at&t android 4G commercial seeing this and saying "that's so 8 months ago."
    02-01-12 02:01 PM
    I'd have to be pretty dumb to buy this. I have a contract ready but I really won't be buying it. It wouldn't be reasonable.
    CrackBerry will buy it for me.
    #CrackBerryFanboyWinner

But in all reality, I will only be picking this up if don't see a qwerty form factor between now and the Londons release.
    Yeah will you buy me one to crackberry? #crackberryforumposter.
    Haha I can try right
    02-01-12 02:04 PM
    So I'm picturing those two losers in the at&t android 4G commercial seeing this and saying "that's so 8 months ago."
    I hope your right
    02-01-12 02:05 PM
    kinda early to be asking this question...were not even sure if this is fact or fiction yet?! Rim is so bad with making deadlines that this could be more than a full year away (we understand the difference between baking cookies and making high tech devices). The PlayBook has been out for a year now and its still not completed to the advertised specs. Lets give Heins a break and time to clean up the mess...he deserves at least a 6 month transition period...then we can start pounding away on him for BB10 information along with release dates.
    02-01-12 02:19 PM
107 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD