RIM seems to be in complete freefall. Where is the leadership?
    Green electronics: HP top, RIM bottom, says Greenpeace - Yahoo! News

MOD EDIT: Article text is below for those that don't want to click the link.
    11-11-11 06:19 AM
    Yea, Ive been a member of GreenPeace in my younger days, these guys who will fill the room with Cigarrette smoke while discussing how to save the planet
    11-11-11 06:55 AM
    It appears that they scored low because they don't disclose things and are associated with certain trade organizations. What's funny is the people at the top are probably the biggest offshoring companies and build most of there stuff in China where labor laws are severely lacking and environmental laws are virtually non-existant for business, but they use the right paper in the copiers and printers so bravo!
    11-11-11 07:01 AM
    Greenpeace is anti industry. They are an extremist organization who would have us all living in the dark, using pre 1850 technology. We pollute less in the US today than we did 30 years ago. Look at the air quality tables.

Besides, Greenpeace failed at their core mission: stopping whaling. Another organization did that. Not by sitting around "raising awareness," but by going toe to toe with the whalers.

Who cares what Greenpeace thinks? Bunch of granola eating luddites...
    11-11-11 02:45 PM
    The entire Green Industry is a sham anyways. Remember all the green jobs that America was supposed to produce?
    11-11-11 02:53 PM
    This is not "bad press".
    Nobody gives a rat's *** how their consumer electronics are made.
    Heck, you could mass produce these things in sweat shops in China where the working conditions are so bad that workers were committing suicide, and people still wouldn't care.
    JR A, AZ87 and kbz1960 like this.
    11-11-11 03:31 PM
    The fact that Nokia scored higher than an Android/Iphone/RIM developer should tell you that there is something really wrong with them and you can't take it to seriously haha
    JR A likes this.
    11-11-11 04:47 PM
    For those that don't want to click the link:

Hewlett-Packard (HP) has come top of the tech companies in Greenpeace’s latest ranking table of the greenest electronics firms. Research In Motion took the 15th spot – out of 15 companies.

In compiling the table, part of its Guide to Greener Electronics report, Greenpeace looked closely at the green policies and work practises of 15 leading mobile phone, TV and PC manufacturers, including the likes of Apple, Samsung and Nokia. Companies such as Nintendo, Motorola, Fujitsu and Microsoft are absent from the list due to a limited product portfolio, Greenpeace said.

HP scored 5.9 out of 10, moving them up to top spot from the number 4 position a year ago. It performed strongly in the area of sustainable operations, which includes the management of its supply chain. It was also praised for having the best program for measuring and reducing greenhouse gas emissions from its suppliers.

Greenpeace’s report also noted that HP and Dell were the only companies among the 15 “that effectively exclude the sourcing of paper from suppliers linked to illegal logging or deforestation.”

Along with Apple (4th place), HP also performed well regarding policies and practises linked to the sourcing of conflict minerals.

Dell certainly looks as if it’s been taking a close look at its green credentials in the past 12 months, jumping eight places to the number two spot. The computer maker scored particularly well for its commitment to reducing global greenhouse gas emissions from its facilities by 40 percent by 2015. However, Dell scored poorly on green products.

Climbing five places to the number 4 spot was Apple, which scored well on green products and sustainable operations.

Sadly for RIM, appearing for the first time in the table, it found itself in last place. “RIM needs to improve reporting and disclosure of its environmental performance compared to other mobile phone makers,” Greenpeace said, adding: “It also risks a penalty point in future Guide editions as it is a member of a trade association that has commented against stringent energy efficiency standards; it needs to distance itself from such regressive positions with a strong statement.”

Looking at the marks scored by each company, it’s clear that in Greenpeace’s eyes there’s still much work to be done by the electronics firms before they can claim to be truly green, but over the past few years, as consumers have become better educated about the merits of a greener world, the tech companies are also beginning to realize the value and importance of working toward making more eco-friendly products using greener work practises.

Below is Greenpeace’s list.
    1 – HP 5.9/10
    2 – Dell 5.1/10
    3 – Nokia 4.9/10
    4 – Apple 4.6/10
    5 – Philips 4.5/10
    6 – Sony Ericsson 4.2/10
    7 – Samsung 4.1/10
    8 – Lenovo 3.8/10
    9 – Panasonic 3.6/10
    9 – Sony 3.6/10
    11 – Sharp 3/10
    12 – Acer 2.9/10
    13 – LG Electronics 2.8/10
    13 – Toshiba 2.8/10
    15 – RIM 1.6/10

This article was originally posted on Digital Trends
    11-11-11 04:52 PM
    I know that we are talking about the greenest company here but i thought i might just add a slightly relevant article published in May this year.

Workers in Chinese Apple factories forced to sign pledges not to commit suicide | Mail Online Yeah,well, whether you've read this or not, i'm going to share it anyway. Way to go apple
    11-11-11 06:06 PM
    I'm not even a fan of RIM, but I don't think that we need a new thread for every article about what RIM is doing wrong.
    11-11-11 09:16 PM
    I'm not even a fan of RIM, but I don't think that we need a new thread for every article about what RIM is doing wrong.
    30k + news sites out there. Everyone wants to report on something. Either it be positive, or negative.

But ya I can find the same news my self. But others like to keep the news rolling....
    11-11-11 09:25 PM
    \Yeah,well, whether you've read this or not, i'm going to share it anyway. Way to go apple
    It's funny, but I often read (on these forums) that no one writes negative stories about Apple. Yet I don't' see how you can call that story anything but negative. At any rate, you're last sentence is incomplete: it should be "way to go" Apple, Acer, Amazon, Intel, Cisco, HP, Dell, Nintendo, Nokia, Microsoft, Motorola, Sony Ericsson and Vizio. All are Foxconn clients.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    11-11-11 11:30 PM
    Who cares... green world is done by making new technologies.. not by getting us back to the stone age.

Using Email saves trees, using electronic cars saves air, using wireless tech saves many things...

People just don't like to go into the mud to find solutions so they bring up those stuff.. look at the logos of all the biggest OIL companies.. and how they "go green" after they make a hole on the planet.
    11-12-11 01:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD