Ok, so Blackberry doesn't do threaded messaging... I understand that, and I am slowly and begrudgingly adapting to that fact.

But my question is... Why not?

There seems there is no shortage of demand for it. In a effort to answer my own question I waded through countless threads only to find people asking if the BB can do it. So RIM surely must be aware of the demand. Within those questions, no one really answers "why", only that it doesn't do it.

I find it kind of odd that a device that can seemingly do everything else, can't do something that lower level/older phones can do. (Yes, I know... The Jebus phone has limitations too, like MMS and so on... But aren't we suppose to be better than them?) Is there some kind of software limitation preventing it? Given the demand I would have thought that a 3rd party developer would have come out with something that would fill the need, but from what I have read the ones that are out are very buggy. But I am no software developer, so wadda I know?

So, can someone fill me in? Why specifically don't we have threaded messaging?
    02-28-09 10:29 AM
    Anyone... Bueller? Anyone...
    03-01-09 12:25 AM
    Imthe other one that know what the nerd joke means. Guess we are the 2. As far as the threaded messaging I have no idea. Never really put thought into since I personally dont care for it. I'm sure someone else will come along and help but I simply dont know.
    03-01-09 12:31 AM
    Im the other one that know what the nerd joke means. Guess we are the 2.
    Shhhh... Don't tell anyone.

I am kinda surprised none of the genius' haven't chimed in with something yet. I can't believe I stumped the band.
    03-01-09 01:55 AM
    3Jam
    3Jam SuperText – Threaded SMS App For BlackBerry | BerryReview.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-01-09 02:11 AM
    Interesting... I will have to give it a shot.
    03-01-09 02:32 AM
    Or am I missing something?
    Nope, don't think you are
    03-01-09 02:43 AM
    Well for a complete convo, it would be better for threaded..... But ppl from treos were spoiled with this. Easier to save this. How ever I never saved or transfered a sms. I'd love it if BB would some how upgrade to it some how

03-01-09 02:48 AM
    Or am I missing something?
    You pretty much have it.

However, your assessment greatly understates how convenient threaded messaging really is.

Here is an example;

If I have just sent someone a SMS from within the BB SMS app and I want to send another SMS or additional info before that person has replied. I must re-start a new SMS and retrieve the persons name from within the address book which will usually involve at least 4-6 steps even if I am already in the SMS app (1)BB button->2)scroll to compose new SMS->3)click compose SMS->4)scroll, or push first letter and scroll->5)click that persons name->6)choose that persons destination #->NOW you can finally start your message!) With a threaded messaging app, there is no need to re-enter the "TO" info, because it's already ongoing. You just scroll to the conversation and when you click on it, it starts you off ready to type your SMS. It's a HUGE time saver. And since RIM is all about productivity, I am still confused as to why they haven't adopted/adapted the ability.

But ppl from treos were spoiled with this.
    It's not just Palm that does this, many other "lesser" phones and their manufacturers do it as well and don't require a paid 3rd party app.

On a side note; I don't know if I'd use the term "spoiled" either. It's akin to saying something negative about BB users just because they can't do it. It distracts from the actual question itself and serves no purpose other to incite a flame war. (Are WE spoiled because we can MMS, cut-copy/paste and iPhone users can not?)

So my question remains.

Why? What is the limiting factor or reason behind it?
    03-01-09 09:48 AM
    not sure i'm understanding you guy's... If i goto my SMS folder i have several text in there.. if i open any of the ones with the folder next to it, say convo with my wife, it has our whole convo from last night... that is threaded...

It looks the same as winmo 6.1 basically....
    03-01-09 10:28 AM
    Threaded sms is just lik what your convo's look like on blackberry messenger.
    Ours looks like email's for txts.
    As far as the term spoiled goes yes I think us old treo people have been spoiled. I though that was a good choice of words.
    Just like if you went to an iphone and then relizied that you couldn't send a mms.I would say that I had been spoiled with a phone that had a more convient feature than the one that I do now.
    I just sold my 800w and before I wiped the phone clean I looked at the messaging and it is an awesome feature to have.

6 steps is a bit much.
    3jam is ok but I was not to fond of it.
    I use qsms. You click that and it brings you right to you addy book to send a txt.
    I assigned it to my left convience key so I click,find,txt.
    Much easier than searching through the addy book and menu's to fine compose sms while you are trying to do something else

03-01-09 10:48 AM
    not sure i'm understanding you guy's... If i goto my SMS folder i have several text in there.. if i open any of the ones with the folder next to it, say convo with my wife, it has our whole convo from last night... that is threaded...

It looks the same as winmo 6.1 basically....
    Does your wife have a blackberry?
    The only way that sms txt looks like winmo 6.1 is if it was through the bbm?

03-01-09 10:50 AM
    Does your wife have a blackberry?
    The only way that sms txt looks like winmo 6.1 is if it was through the bbm?

she does, but even text with friends on moto Q or any other device threads them all together... checking my settings now..
    03-01-09 10:56 AM
    no such setting for threaded, but i see you have a palm device so not sure this applies to you....

but all text are threaded on my 8330...

the sms with check is what i send and sms with envelope is complete converstaion split with date and time....
    03-01-09 10:59 AM
    below is an example of bb sms - which is NOT threaded - just see a history of the convos.(3 pics) and bbm which is a continual message like IM's

while you see your history in an sms, thats all it is. a history. if you delete a message prior in the inbox. it deletes in the history as well.

this is a bbm convo - you canno delete a message once it has been sent. and it is streamlined. all you see is the name and message, not the date, no line breaks either.

Last edited by chelseytx; 03-01-09 at 11:29 AM.
    03-01-09 11:25 AM
    yes, understood, "history" as with winmo it lables as "converstaion" and acts like bbm...

it's basically the same damn thing other than you have to select reply... so maybe not "threaded" but you see the entire conversation with that contact..

i consider my conversation to be threaded together...

11:30:56AM- contact
    11:31:43AM- me
    and so on... history,threaded....whatever, its all there
    03-01-09 12:00 PM
    It appears as threaded if you have replied to each other. But if you send a SMS, and then want to send another SMS to that same person before they reply to you, you must compose a completely new SMS requiring additional steps beyond just re-opening your last message sent to that person.
    03-01-09 02:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD