Judgment day will arrive, like I said not if but when.

Posted via CB10
    Judgement day for????
    07-09-14 10:37 PM
    Judgement day for????
    When the house of cards, that is Google and Android comes crashing down, Remember Nortel? They went on for years ignoring the various hacking/security issues, see where its landed them?

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/SB10001...77054?mobile=y

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/n...10-years/10304

Notice any similarity?

http://thehackernews.com/2014/06/chi...-with.html?m=1

http://www.hotforsecurity.com/blog/f...apps-1317.html

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    07-09-14 10:43 PM
    When the house of cards, that is Google and Android comes crashing down, Remember Nortel? They went on for years ignoring the various hacking/security issues, see where its landed them?

Chinese Hackers Suspected in Long-Term Nortel Breach - WSJ

Nortel hacking attack went unnoticed for almost 10 years | ZDNet

Notice any similarity?

Chinese Android Smartphone comes with Pre-installed Spyware - The Hacker News

From China with Love: New Android Backdoor Spreading through Hacked Apps | HOTforSecurity

Posted via CB10
    Now I understand what you were saying. Thanks.
    07-09-14 10:54 PM
    Windows desktop has had more and longreaching security holes and its not going anywhere. Nortel never had the reach Window desktop or Android mobile has ...not a good example at all.
    07-09-14 11:01 PM
    Now I understand what you were saying. Thanks.
    No worries, here is another link.

http://m.washingtonpost.com/world/na...767_story.html

The worst part is that these breaches are not made public and Google continues to deny the issue, they have also been collecting a huge amount of personal data, one can only imagine the ripple effect of a continued breach.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 11:02 PM
    Reach of Nortel? At its height, Nortel accounted for more than a third of the total valuation of all the companies listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX), employing 94,500 worldwide.Nortel's market capitalization was C$398B. In 2000.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 11:14 PM
    Reach of Nortel? At its height, Nortel accounted for more than a third of the total valuation of all the companies listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX), employing 94,500 worldwide.Nortel's market capitalization was C$398B. In 2000.

Posted via CB10
    Why are you talking market cap. Nortel was a b2b company not a consumer company. Besides security wasn't its downfall it was lack of innovation and accounting snafus including pumping up the stock to insane levels on speculation, encouraged by top brass. Google isn't a complacent company, its been more criticized for having too broad a base of interests, too many 'moonshots'.
    07-09-14 11:29 PM
    Why are you talking market cap. Nortel was a b2b company not a consumer company. Besides security wasn't its downfall it was lack of innovation and accounting snafus including pumping up the stock to insane levels on speculation, encouraged by top brass. Google isn't a complacent company, its been more criticized for having too broad a base of interests, too many 'moonshots'.
    Quite the opposite innovation was their strength, as subsequently revealed, part of their demise was due to security breaches. Which went unchecked, Yes there was artful accounting and the like,Why the comparison? Google is doing the same. You have a system that's weak ,in one link there, you can see that Google was hacked ,they have a lot of personal data stored. As you said they are consumer based, do you know what type of impact that will have globally? They aren't doing much to shore up their security, au contraire , they continue to ignore security and are quite invasive with their OS. Fallout would be catastrophic.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 11:49 PM
    Quite the opposite innovation was their strength, as subsequently revealed, part of their demise was due to security breaches. Which went unchecked, Yes there was artful accounting and the like,Why the comparison? Google is doing the same. You have a system that's weak ,in one link there, you can see that Google was hacked ,they have a lot of personal data stored. As you said they are consumer based, do you know what type of impact that will have globally? They aren't doing much to shore up their security, au contraire , they continue to ignore security and are quite invasive with their OS. Fallout would be catastrophic.

Posted via CB10
    Show a link where security is mentioned as large part of their downfall and I'll show you link upon link where executive compensation based on short term stock price, lack of internal oversite by the board and straight out lying led to their bankruptcy. Nortel has more in common with WorldCom than any tangential link to Google.
    mornhavon likes this.
    07-10-14 12:14 AM
    I didn't say that the BlackBerry 10 sandbox is the be all end all security feature. I said they put a lot of thought in the sandbox and the security necessary to run android apps safely. They wouldn't have publicly said it with their security reputation on the line if they hadn't thought it through and implemented it the best they could. Also, BlackBerry's core OS is completely different than androids and I'm willing to bet that most of the malware infested android apps wouldn't work right on BB10. It's like trying to run a Windows malware file on Linux. So after further consideration, maybe I would try it on one of my spare BlackBerry's.
    You're willing to bet on it, but not side load the app on your actual device? I see. It's cool.

I would like to see the results of an experiment like that.
    07-10-14 12:22 AM
    Show a link where security is mentioned as large part of their downfall and I'll show you link upon link where executive compensation based on short term stock price, lack of internal oversite by the board and straight out lying led to their bankruptcy. Nortel has more in common with WorldCom than any tangential link to Google.
    Read the FBIs report on it.

http://m.afr.com/p/technology/how_ch...gbKuX8SLNxpWcI

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 12:31 AM
    Read the FBIs report on it.

How Chinese hacking felled telecommunication giant Nortel
    Posted via CB10
    From your link not really an financial analysis btw.
    “We didn’t make our numbers, had more layoffs, while Huawei was growing in leaps and bounds.”
    Juiced up numbers by top brass. A pump and dump scheme corporatized.

Canadien academics have looked into it discussed here.

Even though Nortel’s R & D cadre had previously developed the industry’s first family of all-digital telephone switches (computers) and in the 1990s won the race to build the globe’s fastest optical networks, Roth felt his engineers were slow to the task of designing new products for the age of the Internet. Maybe so, but they also had their eye on long-term industry trends. Nortel’s failure to stay abreast of these proved a great liability, the U of O study concludes.

When the telecom industry crashed in 2001, Nortel was hugely exposed. It had not successfully integrated its new acquisitions, which forced it to rely on its traditional strengths — telephone networking, optical technologies and wireless infrastructure. The U of O case study notes that Nortel had a competitive advantage only in the first two *— and the business of supplying ordinary phone networks was in permanent decline while the market for optical networks was temporarily over-supplied.
    Lack of innovation, top brass wants to pump up the projections to line their own bank acct, can't meet fantastical numbers and down it goes.
    07-10-14 12:50 AM
    Again - this is another watch what you install case. Saying that Android is a cesspool is no different than saying that PCs and the internet are cesspools because viruses and malware exists. Don't sideload questionable apps. Stick to well reviewed social apps, banking apps, games, etc.
    +1

Exactly, but ignorance is bliss, and the whole security argument is the only straw left for many Android haters to clutch oh so desperately on

Been using Android for 4years now from the days of Android1.6 Donut, month after month some 'security firm' claims to have found some exploit, the Android haters go crazy running around preaching Android isn't secure, yet can't name one person actually affected by the exploit, this then gets brushed under the mat and another exploit is supposedly found by another security firm, many of them selling security SW, and ALL tend to be careful not to mention Play Store, but that is ignored. What a shame.

Most hilarious part is people screaming Android is not secure and then installing Android apps in their BB I love that part.
    Witmen and mornhavon like this.
    07-10-14 12:53 AM

Chinese Hackers Suspected in Long-Term Nortel Breach - WSJ

Nortel hacking attack went unnoticed for almost 10 years | ZDNet

Notice any similarity?

Chinese Android Smartphone comes with Pre-installed Spyware - The Hacker News

From China with Love: New Android Backdoor Spreading through Hacked Apps | HOTforSecurity

Posted via CB10
    *facepalm* Oh my word...
    Not a single mention of the real Google Play Store in either of those links, both talk about 3rd party app stores and side loading apps. -_-
    Chinese Androids generally don't have Google Play Store as many Google products are banned there, so Chinese Androids don't have the benefit of Google Play Services Framework which is updated frequently for security.

Your above links show your complete misunderstanding of Android and Google's Android.

Like I said, ignorance is bliss.
    mornhavon likes this.
    07-10-14 01:09 AM
    the Android haters go crazy running around preaching Android isn't secure, yet can't name one person actually affected by the exploit
    The problem, dear young friend, is not that noone has been affected until now. The problem you silly guys don't understand (I can't hear this idiocy anymore) is that everyone could be affected tomorrow, even you and your wife, your children, your parents, your friends. Nobody knows who will get these data and what he is doing with them, whom is he selling the data in how many copies and so on. Data which are collected once are always a latent risk. And damned software that collects these data is also a risk. Face this!
    lift likes this.
    07-10-14 01:24 AM
    The problem, dear young friend, is not that noone has been affected until now. The problem you silly guys don't understand (I can't hear this idiocy anymore) is that everyone could be affected tomorrow, even you and your wife, your children, your parents, your friends. Nobody knows who will get these data and what he is doing with them, whom is he selling the data in how many copies and so on. Data which are collected once are always a latent risk. And damned software that collects these data is also a risk. Face this!
    Don't keep me from you staring at the sky for that asteroid that will snuff us all...
    07-10-14 01:26 AM
    Don't keep me from you staring at the sky for that asteroid that will snuff us all...
    Yes funny you are, haha.

Here in Switzerland it happened several times that employees of Swiss banks (you know: the most secure banks in the world) stole customer's data and burned a CDROM from this. These CDROMs have been sold to foreign governments who paid 3...5 million Euros each. You just can't ignore that the danger of "losing" data is very very real. It already happened! This is something which became very simple using memory sticks and other minimal equipment.
    lift likes this.
    07-10-14 01:33 AM
    Yes funny you are, haha.

Here in Switzerland it happened several times that employees of Swiss banks (you know: the most secure banks in the world) stole customer's data and burned a CDROM from this. These CDROMs have been sold to foreign governments who paid 3...5 million Euros each. You just can't ignore that the danger of "losing" data is very very real. It already happened! This is something which became very simple using memory sticks and other minimal equipment.
    So therefore because of this risk you are living in a hut, accessing this site by anon vpn and browser that doesn't allow cookies correct otherwise it doesn't make sense of me what you standard of risk is.
    07-10-14 01:37 AM
    If you are worried about data being collected then you're better off getting a Nokia 3310, cancelling your internet plan and completely deleting yourself from the internet.

You make the doomsday prepares sound normal.
    07-10-14 01:38 AM
    You make the doomsday prepares sound normal.
    (Probably) Your government made "worldwide surveillance" sound very normal. And now what?
    07-10-14 02:03 AM
    (Probably) Your government made "worldwide surveillance" sound very normal. And now what?
    What Government would that be? Take note I'm not from the USA.

Either way, you have no valid argument and are straying away from the main topic.
    07-10-14 05:09 AM
    BlackBerry has had some similar issues. One didn't even need to install malware and had access to enterprise contacts.
    The golden rule on Android is to only install apps from Play and ones that you've heard about before or from a reputable company. It's dangerous to be a tester on Android, but if you know what you're doing, you're leaking less data on it than on a BlackBerry.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-10-14 05:18 AM
    LOL... I've said it before: it feels like we BB10 users are more concerned with Android security than Android users.

I suspect even BBRY has quit waiting on the "Great Data Breach Apocalypse" that will supposedly make BB10 the predominant OS again.
    Wouldn't that make everyone on here giddy. Then they could say I told you so.

Everything I say is my OPINION and is based on my experiences and what I have learned. It is not meant to attack but to drive meaningful conversation. Let's all be civil!
    07-10-14 05:19 AM
    That's why I always root and install either App Opps, or XPrivacy.
    07-10-14 05:27 AM
    That's why I always root and install either App Opps, or XPrivacy.
    And a firewall
    07-10-14 05:28 AM
101 12345