Again - this is another watch what you install case. Saying that Android is a cesspool is no different than saying that PCs and the internet are cesspools because viruses and malware exists. Don't sideload questionable apps. Stick to well reviewed social apps, banking apps, games, etc.
    Agree with that. Google says that less that 1% of Android malware is thru the Playstore so getting your apps from there via Snap greatly reduces your exposure. On the other hand Playstore anti-malware measures like Bouncer and other in phone scanning doesnt' work in BB.
    07-09-14 12:32 PM
    This is part of the quote from John Chen: "BlackBerry architects security into every single layer, from our BlackBerry 10-enabled devices (which, by the way, can securely run your Android apps)"
    I believe not all android app permissions are granted when used on a BlackBerry device. Like I said before, Bla1ze had a write-up on android apps on BlackBerry 10 and said a lot of great things about the security. Where is Bla1ze when we need him?
    Sooo, ya wanna sideload some known malicious Android apps and see how well BlackBerry 10 sandboxes them?
    07-09-14 12:59 PM
    I think rule of thumb is only download the app that you absolutely need.

Using Z10, wanting Z30, eyeing Windermere
    07-09-14 01:10 PM
    Again - this is another watch what you install case. Saying that Android is a cesspool is no different than saying that PCs and the internet are cesspools because viruses and malware exists. Don't sideload questionable apps. Stick to well reviewed social apps, banking apps, games, etc.
    Agree. The OSes with larger install bases such as Android and Windows (desktop) will always be targeted no matter how much time/money is spend securing them.
    07-09-14 03:49 PM
    I think rule of thumb is only download the app that you absolutely need.

Using Z10, wanting Z30, eyeing Windermere
    Smh that's stupid really. If it's obviously malicious wtf would you download it?

Check it's permissions and see what it's asking for

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 07:25 PM
    Agree. The OSes with larger install bases such as Android and Windows (desktop) will always be targeted no matter how much time/money is spend securing them.
    So why doesn't iOS have the same perception of insecurity as Android?
    07-09-14 07:50 PM
    Yes, my friends are victims of this.

And their phones keep calling me and sending me gibberish.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 07:51 PM
    Smh that's stupid really. If it's obviously malicious wtf would you download it?

Check it's permissions and see what it's asking for

Posted via CB10
    According to the article OP posted this particular app, circumvents the app permissions meaning, even though you deny access it still does what it wants and over rides your settings. This is why you cannot trust an Android app period.

Posted via CB10
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    07-09-14 07:52 PM
    So why doesn't iOS have the same perception of insecurity as Android?
    IOS has better safeguard in the app store for the most part. They dont have knock off stores really either. things like 1moble where apps could be repackage with crap in them dont really exist on the iOS platform. Apple is on its game with this type of security. Even BB doesnt have as tight as control as this
    07-09-14 08:07 PM
    IOS has better safeguard in the app store for the most part. They dont have knock off stores really either. things like 1moble where apps could be repackage with crap in them dont really exist on the iOS platform. Apple is on its game with this type of security. Even BB doesnt have as tight as control as this
    There are app stores for jailbroken iPhones.
    07-09-14 08:09 PM
    I will keep repeating this though I understand I am a lone wolf. It is not the OS that makes it safe, it is the user. An intelligent Android user is safer than an unintelligent BlackBerry user.

Everything I say is my OPINION and is based on my experiences and what I have learned. It is not meant to attack but to drive meaningful conversation. Let's all be civil!
    mornhavon likes this.
    07-09-14 08:18 PM
    There are app stores for jailbroken iPhones.
    yes but the phone has to be jailbroken which most dont do. its the same as if you root the phone, you are taking that risk upon yourself and might be leaving yourself open to attack. That is not what I am talking about and is a whole different discussion.
    TgeekB likes this.
    07-09-14 08:20 PM
    yes but the phone has to be jailbroken which most dont do. its the same as if you root the phone, you are taking that risk upon yourself and might be leaving yourself open to attack. That is not what I am talking about and is a whole different discussion.
    Got it. But why doesn't iOS--the OS, not the app runtime, etc.--not have as negative a perception as Android--the OS parts of it?
    07-09-14 08:27 PM
    Got it. But why doesn't iOS--the OS, not the app runtime, etc.--not have as negative a perception as Android--the OS parts of it?
    It's not completely accurate read the following on IOS.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/21015...n-presses.html

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011...y-compromised/

Whilst I do agree that IOS is a bit safer in this regard (malicious apps) it's also proven to have security inefficiencies at core level.

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...ed-not-so-fast

http://threatpost.com/malicious-ios-...pple-app-store

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 08:36 PM
    You can't expect that android is secure. It's an "open source" os.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 08:40 PM
    I will keep repeating this though I understand I am a lone wolf. It is not the OS that makes it safe, it is the user. An intelligent Android user is safer than an unintelligent BlackBerry user.

Everything I say is my OPINION and is based on my experiences and what I have learned. It is not meant to attack but to drive meaningful conversation. Let's all be civil!
    Flawed logic (oversimplification).

Analogy: It's not the lock on my door that makes my house safe, its the owner.
    spikesolie and raino like this.
    07-09-14 08:52 PM
    IMO, it's night and day difference of malware on Android vs iOS.
    07-09-14 08:53 PM
    Yes, those "open source" OS's are not to be trusted... especially for web servers that are responsible for about 70% of the Internet. That would be foolish.
    You can't expect any operating system (or any software for that matter) to be completely secure. Does Google have work to do to improve Android & Play Store security? Absolutely. But if you keep the "unknown sources" setting disabled (as it is by default) and exercise even a little common sense, you're highly unlikely to ever encounter malware on Android.
    07-09-14 09:41 PM
    I guess "secure" like the BBM app that was on Google Play that was a spammed app.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 09:49 PM
    Right--at the core level. That's what I'm getting at. If iOS is also not secure at the core level (which is not a rhetorical question, but a fact,) and it's allll about how big the user base is, why is it Android that's more often in the news for it's low level of security, exploits, etc?
    07-09-14 09:54 PM

Posted via CB10
    Being open source has nothing to do with it. Linux and BSD are open source and are rated very high for security in the PC and IT communities.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    07-09-14 09:54 PM
    Right--at the core level. That's what I'm getting at. If iOS is also not secure at the core level (which is not a rhetorical question, but a fact,) and it's allll about how big the user base is, why is it Android that's more often in the news for it's low level of security, exploits, etc?
    Media many times confuses apps from the Playstore which has pretty good measures for security (Bouncer scans, remote kill, scan on open) to apps from the tens of other apps stores which Google does not control Its all 'Android' so it lands on Google. Google could remove the sideloading capability but probably may get into anti-trust issues for locking out Amazon so its in sort of a pickle. Apple started out with only one store plus its doesn't have 80% of the market like Google does in some countries.

In the future Google will probably have to tighten things down even more perhaps like any apps that get flagged in the Playstore gets killed/disabled on the device no matter where it originates.
    07-09-14 10:08 PM
    LOL... I've said it before: it feels like we BB10 users are more concerned with Android security than Android users.

I suspect even BBRY has quit waiting on the "Great Data Breach Apocalypse" that will supposedly make BB10 the predominant OS again.
    mornhavon, Witmen and anon(257429) like this.
    07-09-14 10:16 PM
    Sooo, ya wanna sideload some known malicious Android apps and see how well BlackBerry 10 sandboxes them?
    I didn't say that the BlackBerry 10 sandbox is the be all end all security feature. I said they put a lot of thought in the sandbox and the security necessary to run android apps safely. They wouldn't have publicly said it with their security reputation on the line if they hadn't thought it through and implemented it the best they could. Also, BlackBerry's core OS is completely different than androids and I'm willing to bet that most of the malware infested android apps wouldn't work right on BB10. It's like trying to run a Windows malware file on Linux. So after further consideration, maybe I would try it on one of my spare BlackBerry's.
    07-09-14 10:29 PM
    Judgment day will arrive, like I said not if but when. The very Google has been fined by the Feds for breach of Privacy, the Lord alone knows what's happening with users data. Why should one have confidence in their Android OS?

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/goo...ry?id=18717950

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 10:34 PM
101 1234 ...