Statcounter? Again?

Someone here is holding a fist full of straw, hoping its gold.
    If the numbers were historically undercounted in the past, then it would overcount "sales" in the present when analytics companies correct these browser mis-identifications.

It is not an issue of hope. Blackberry didn't suddenly went from 1.5% to 4% in 36 hours in the US. It was actually at 4% in the past but was undercounted to 1.5% because browser mis-identification.
    07-10-13 09:27 PM
    Because of the historical undercounting, the analytics data will show a rise in Blackberry market share when a BB6 user upgrades to a BB10 phone. And that causes OVERcounting because in real life the number of actual Blackberry users didn't change with that BB6 user upgrading to a BB10 phone.
    You're assuming that they just made this correction. It was in fact corrected years ago. When statcounter makes such a correction, they note it in the graph. There is no such note, so another false assumption.
    07-10-13 09:29 PM
    Statcounter? Again?

Someone here is holding a fist full of straw, hoping its gold.
    You're assuming that they just made this correction. It was in fact corrected years ago. When statcounter makes such a correction, they note it in the graph. There is no such note, so another false assumption.
    I am speaking in general terms --- netmarketshare is also correcting their numbers with Blackberry doubling its global market share in the last 8 weeks. We know that Blackberry didn't sell 70 million phones in the last 3 months.

Market share for browsers, operating systems and search engines | News

Also because the legacy devices have a "bad browser" --- or more accurately, it was a decent good browser that got directed to very bad and simple mobile versions of websites (thus giving the browser a bad name) --- fewer people uses the legacy browsers. So even if analytics companies correctly identified BB6 browser as a Blackberry, the volume of web traffic would be less than its actual installed base.
    07-10-13 09:36 PM
    Easy alternative: facebook ad stat on Blackberry.
    07-10-13 09:59 PM
    If the numbers were historically undercounted in the past, then it would overcount "sales" in the present when analytics companies correct these browser mis-identifications.

It is not an issue of hope. Blackberry didn't suddenly went from 1.5% to 4% in 36 hours in the US. It was actually at 4% in the past but was undercounted to 1.5% because browser mis-identification.
    Samab, is that you? Expected better of you. But then again you brought an HP Touchpad so maybe not.

Friendly advice. With Statcounter you're standing at the bottom of a hill and someone on top has just pushed a giant bolder in your direction. Run.
    07-11-13 12:09 AM
    Samab, is that you? Expected better of you. But then again you brought an HP Touchpad so maybe not.

Friendly advice. With Statcounter you're standing at the bottom of a hill and someone on top has just pushed a giant bolder in your direction. Run.
    Neither here nor there, but the Touchpad was the best $150 I ever spent - it was running dual booted ICS android and web OS before and better than the top of the line android tablets were at the same time.

I will never purchase another product with the Hewlett Packard name on it because of what they did to webOS.
    07-11-13 12:15 AM
    Neither here nor there, but the Touchpad was the best $150 I ever spent - it was running dual booted ICS android and web OS before and better than the top of the line android tablets were at the same time.

I will never purchase another product with the Hewlett Packard name on it because of what they did to webOS.
    Good at firesale price, not so good at original retail price. Sounds familiar.
    07-11-13 12:36 AM
    Good at firesale price, not so good at original retail price. Sounds familiar.
    Yep. But at least I could dual boot that puppy.
    07-11-13 01:03 AM

Talk about being eristical...
    31 years old and I've never heard of this word before... Lol. And I thought I was pretty well read.
    I'm gonna look for any excuse to use this word today

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    07-11-13 01:45 AM

But the fact is that it's not only statcounter that is showing signs of correction --- netmarketshare has Blackberry doubling its global market share in 8 weeks. We know for a fact that Blackberry didn't sell 70 million phones in the last quarter.

Basically EVERYBODY undercounted Blackberry in the past, which means now EVERYBODY will overcount the sales numbers.
    07-11-13 09:36 AM
    Because of the historical undercounting, the analytics data will show a rise in Blackberry market share when a BB6 user upgrades to a BB10 phone. And that causes OVERcounting because in real life the number of actual Blackberry users didn't change with that BB6 user upgrading to a BB10 phone.
    There seems to be something more to it than that. Canada data is down to close to 8% today (July 11)and the US data is up over 4% So the theory that US and Canada data are somehow getting mixed up make since but how can that happen?
    07-11-13 10:38 AM
    BB has less apps and more BB users have to use the browser when they are using their phones that is another reason why there is a higher activity of BB users showing on Statcounter.

Android users would use apps for most popular website which might not show as a HIT under androidN could be showing in a different category e.g, OTHERS.

So the data has a degree of unreliability.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    07-11-13 10:45 AM
    There seems to be something more to it than that. Canada data is down to close to 8% today (July 11)and the US data is up over 4% So the theory that US and Canada data are somehow getting mixed up make since but how can that happen?
    Maybe a group of Canadians Blackberry users went to America for a holiday. Hahahaha

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 11:12 PM
    so BB is now back to number 3 in canada and android back to number 2 right? BB is down to just 8% after being up to around a couple days ago 33% according to this data.
    In another week or so Blackberry will be #1! Well.....you know.....um.....probably not.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    07-13-13 09:05 AM
64 123