WIth every positive aspect of the Xperia Z, there is a countering point.

Great screen? -> So does a lot of other phones. Plus at a certain point, a higher DPI isn't going to look any different.
    Ability to mirror your phone to a Sony Smart TV? -> You have to buy the Sony phone and also the Sony SmartTV. (It's not going to cost you an arm and a leg. It's going to cost you two arms and two legs!!)
    Waterproof? -> No removable battery or removable anything for that matter.
    Great Camera? - > So do a lot of other phones. Plus if you really want good quality pictures, you'd probably get a POS or a DSLR.
    01-19-13 09:32 PM
    But the quality of the actual phone is what matters..... right? I mean that's been our excuse for the past years with our blackberrys, I'm sure others will do the same with the Xperia Z, after all, a lot of people don't mind android.

On a smaller note, funny how they're also calling it the "Z". Since when did this "Z" come into account with naming phones, it used to be "X" :P
    I think Xperia used the 'Z' before the BlackBerry London became the BlackBerry Z10. And you are correct it is the quality of the smartphone that matters; the Xperia Z just shows what we should expect from the BlackBerry Z10 although we hope the BlackBerry Z10 does more and does it better than the Xperia Z. The dust-proof and water-proof features are very nice but won't be on a BlackBerry sadly. As I have said in other threads I am not in the market for any smartphone brand that is not BlackBerry.
    01-19-13 10:25 PM
    its a sony.. the end...
    01-19-13 10:26 PM
    interesting it almost reads like one of those threads that used to bash the BB... 'its a sony'....ok then hope no one gets upset when anyone speaks negative of my beloved RIM. nice phone BTW
    01-19-13 10:42 PM
    Yep. And I remember the big old fat sony experia x10 that my ex had. Same bloodline. They dont stand the test of time
    01-19-13 10:45 PM
    Sony has always been using alphabet since I don't know when... Wiki it...

Can I have just both Zs.
    One for business and one for pleasure (read: social)
    01-19-13 11:35 PM
    Interesting that the promotional video states water and dust resistant.. This doesn't mean it waterproof.
    01-19-13 11:43 PM
    Neat, why everyone is not making their devices waterproof is beyond me. Since it is made by Sony I'm sure you can expect to pay through the nose for it.
    So you have to buy a new one when you drop yours in the toilet
    01-19-13 11:44 PM
    after watching this i just had a quick google on waterproofing and liquipel will permanently waterproof your phone for $59 (only certain brands atm), tempted to bug them to offer this for the z10 lol
    I checked out their site, sounds interesting but they claim they use vapor to coat the device in a vacuum, so wtf does a brand being "not supported" mean? It doesn't fit in the chamber of their machine?
    01-19-13 11:48 PM
    WIth every positive aspect of the Xperia Z, there is a countering point.

Great screen? -> So does a lot of other phones. Plus at a certain point, a higher DPI isn't going to look any different.
    Ability to mirror your phone to a Sony Smart TV? -> You have to buy the Sony phone and also the Sony SmartTV. (It's not going to cost you an arm and a leg. It's going to cost you two arms and two legs!!)
    Waterproof? -> No removable battery or removable anything for that matter.
    Great Camera? - > So do a lot of other phones. Plus if you really want good quality pictures, you'd probably get a POS or a DSLR.
    so you're saying that buying a new phone is better then a removable battery?
    fyi, Pixel density will always, always, ALWAYS, have a noticeable difference, no matter what. ALWAYS.

I swear if this phone had the bb logo stamped on it, you guys wouldn't go saying all its features are "unnecessary"
    That being said, it is in fact android, which is a downer but sony does bring features to its software too ya know... (besides the whole crap about putting your phone on Tv). Gestures are coming to android bit by bit as well...
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-19-13 11:53 PM
    The whole video was basically about hardware. Now why is that?

Because it has the same generic android system that 70% of the phones being sold have.

How do you stand out from 70% of the people buying a android device? You can dump water on your phone. Awesome
    01-19-13 11:59 PM
    I don't see anything really ground-breaking here. It's just another step up in terms of hardware, which will be matched sooner or later by another brand. That's the rat race Android OEMs have gotten themselves into.

Might I remind everyone that Motorola's RAZR (2011) was also water-resist. Hopefully this becomes an industry standard as more OEMs adopt it, because I think it would be a great feature to have that's actually practical. It also doesn't mean it won't work with a removable battery, although having a sealed housing does help.
    Last edited by Masahiro; 01-20-13 at 01:05 AM.
    01-20-13 12:11 AM
    Horses scare me.
    01-20-13 12:13 AM
    I remember when hand held GPS devices were not waterproof. Now virtually all of them are. It is doable. There would be the size and weight penalties. Given how we want things thinner, lighter, etc, would the general public actually go for it?
    01-20-13 12:49 AM
    I remember when hand held GPS devices were not waterproof. Now virtually all of them are. It is doable. There would be the size and weight penalties. Given how we want things thinner, lighter, etc, would the general public actually go for it?
    With the technology we have today, making devices water resist (not water proof) has only a cost penalty. Check out Liquipel.
    01-20-13 01:08 AM
    01-20-13 01:25 AM
    Android > close file
    I want a phone which can connect things together, and I can see the potential of bb10, and the security platform blackberry provide
    but I have to admit that the commercial ads is super nice which makes me want to buy sony xperia z (only last 1 sec)
    01-20-13 01:33 AM
    This is quite true, and also when you add carrier testing, carrier bloatware, carriers disabling features, etc it can get a bit messy. I learned my lesson with the Samsung Vibrant. Eclair was on its way out and the SGS series was set to get the Froyo update soon after release. "Soon after release" turned into 6 months. Also, GPS was nonfunctional and it took Samsung too long to admit there was a problem. Then they threw together a fix, that for the most part didn't work. After that ordeal I swore I'd only buy phones that I enjoyed the CURRENT capabilities of, and not what it may do in the future.

ETA: Actually what I just wrote reminded me that I'm pretty sure it's up to the OEMS to push out updates like bug fixes, security patches, etc. Google just pushes out the actual OS updates and that's when things get messy with carrier involvement.
    This.

That's why everyone and their dog tries for a Nexus device... Frequent updates of the latest builds. It's also why so many root and put stock Android on their phones. It's not Google that delays the updates to the OEM's, it's the OEM's delaying the update to the end user because they have to make their skin work with the update.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    01-20-13 01:41 AM
    The whole video was basically about hardware. Now why is that?

Because it has the same generic android system that 70% of the phones being sold have.

How do you stand out from 70% of the people buying a android device? You can dump water on your phone. Awesome
    There's a lot you don't understand about Android, isn't there... You can put three different Android phones side by side, by different OEM's, and they don't look or behave the same. Period.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    pantlesspenguin and Drew808 like this.
    01-20-13 01:45 AM
    I like that it's waterproof but they have to cover all the ports which you need to remove when you charge or do stuffs. I have a phone once that have those types of cover and they tend to break easy.
    01-20-13 01:51 AM
    I like that it's waterproof but they have to cover all the ports which you need to remove when you charge or do stuffs. I have a phone once that have those types of cover and they tend to break easy.
    Not necessarily. The Liquipel people tell me they can waterproof an iPhone 5 without blocking up the ports.
    01-20-13 02:13 AM
    In regard to the OP's title.. I guess RIM just have to keep on continuing their R&D to keep up with the changes... And this doesn't mean on the software alone which is, as we knew, are great. But the hardware as well.. Improvements especially in the High end market. This is mainly to cater and shut down the critics who kept talking about specs, specs and specs..
    RIM need to be better than the past.. Creatively.
    Versions of playbooks. IPod likes. Laptops. As long as it is inline with the purpose people buy blackberrys.
    Business before pleasure.
    01-20-13 04:20 AM
    This is quite true, and also when you add carrier testing, carrier bloatware, carriers disabling features, etc it can get a bit messy. I learned my lesson with the Samsung Vibrant. Eclair was on its way out and the SGS series was set to get the Froyo update soon after release. "Soon after release" turned into 6 months. Also, GPS was nonfunctional and it took Samsung too long to admit there was a problem. Then they threw together a fix, that for the most part didn't work. After that ordeal I swore I'd only buy phones that I enjoyed the CURRENT capabilities of, and not what it may do in the future.

ETA: Actually what I just wrote reminded me that I'm pretty sure it's up to the OEMS to push out updates like bug fixes, security patches, etc. Google just pushes out the actual OS updates and that's when things get messy with carrier involvement.
    Don't take this the wrong way but I've noticed a pattern where nobody talks warmly of their previous Android phone, after they get a new one all the problems of the old one come out(lag, lack of updates, gps problems, re booting etc) but if you ask them at the time it never had a problem and it was the best thing ever. Am I the only one seeing this?
    01-20-13 04:38 AM
    Don't take this the wrong way but I've noticed a pattern where nobody talks warmly of their previous Android phone, after they get a new one all the problems of the old one come out(lag, lack of updates, gps problems, re booting etc) but if you ask them at the time it never had a problem and it was the best thing ever. Am I the only one seeing this?
    This is the same perception problem most people don't understand when they replace anything with a new model. With regular exposure the old inadequacies become normal and slow creeping degradation is accepted. New car.... quieter, no rattles, less fuel, better seats, perfect. New bed... more comfortable, perfect. New computer... faster, better display, perfect. New kids... much better behaved They also said exactly the same "perfect, great improvement" when they got the old one.
    01-20-13 04:53 AM
    This is the same perception problem most people don't understand when they replace anything with a new model. With regular exposure the old inadequacies become normal and slow creeping degradation is accepted. New car.... quieter, no rattles, less fuel, better seats, perfect. New bed... more comfortable, perfect. New computer... faster, better display, perfect. New kids... much better behaved They also said exactly the same "perfect, great improvement" when they got the old one.
    Very clearly evident with the BB browser. How many times do we see people talk about how happy they are with the BB browser....let's see what they all say when the Z10 shows up with a REAL functioning browser.
    I see the difference each time I have to suffer through my 9900 and 9810's browsen when compared to my 4S or my SGIII or even when I had my Skyrocket. THAT was a good browser in comparison with its contemporary BB7 devices. The browser on my SGIII, today, eats my 9900's lunch. My Z10 will eat my SGIII's lunch. My SGIV or my Note 3 will eat my Z10's lunch....and so on....and so on.....and so on....
    My experience is that each new tech improves on old, and it is natural to say that a new device improves on the old. It's only logical.
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 01-20-13 at 06:55 AM.
    01-20-13 05:03 AM
155 1234 ...