I built a computer for 800 bucks that won't be obsolete for ten plus years because u can upgrade it. And it demolishes any X box or phone. Argument over.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-13 01:29 PM
    No doubt the xbox is powerful, but the tasks it was performing during the event were simple and could be done from the phone. All im saying is MS got the vision wrong, the hub should be in the phone its personal and mobile. Don't know if blackberry can execute the vision of mobile computing with qnx alone however.
    Why have to control everything from my phone when it can be built into the device I want to use? What if I lose my phone, now all my devices are screwed because they all rely on my phone being connected, can you not see what a redundant idea this is?
    05-23-13 01:29 PM
    I built a computer for 800 bucks that won't be obsolete for ten plus years because u can upgrade it. And it demolishes any X box or phone. Argument over.

Posted via CB10
    It will be obsolete though, just because you're replacing your parts one by one instead of buying a new system outright doesn't mean suddenly your computer is future proof. Changing GFX card? Yep, because the old one is obsolete. Changing mobo? Yep, because the old one is obsolete.
    05-23-13 01:37 PM
    BUT WHY?!?! Why have the phone as the gateway when the xbox can already do that? Why would I want to control my Xbox from Mexico? Why do any of these things when a perfectly good solution already exists in Kinect and SmartGlass? Why would I want to control my living room if I'm not even there? I just don't get it.
    yes i acknowledge that the xbox one can do this but it was the wrong decsion. Many things from your office can now be controlled remotely, for instance a lot of new condos are really pushing the cisco smarthome technology including the one i am buying. Your phone is the perfect gateway its like an advanced super remote controller with voice recognization and personalization.
    05-23-13 01:42 PM
    yes i acknowledge that the xbox one can do this but it was the wrong decsion. Many things from your office can now be controlled remotely, for instance a lot of new condos are really pushing the cisco smarthome technology including the one i am buying. Your phone is the perfect gateway its like an advanced super remote controller with voice recognization and personalization.
    Why would I want to remotely control my condo while I'm not there? Why control my TV from Mexico when, guess what, I probably have access to a TV where I am? I can understand remotely controlling my work PC from home as there may be files there I need to access, but controlling my condo's central heating from a foreign land? Pointless. I get your general idea, but the way situations you're applying it to just don't make sense.
    05-23-13 01:48 PM
    The xbox would work without the phone didn't i already make that clear? it would be an independent gaming only device. I am talking about the gateway to the internet and controling the living room. With current technology its quite easy for the xbox to know when your in the room, but you wouldnt' even have to be there you could control it from mexico. If two people walked into the room the xbox would respond to who is first registred and connected. This is a "solution" for a space that the biggest companies google, apple, microsoft and samsung are currently fighting for. This new xbox is not only up against nintendo and sony.
    I don't think so. I think MS is going for an ecosystem where xbox can do this stuff and sync with your phone which can do this stuff, and sync with your PC etc. Suppose I'm in my pj's and want to surf the internet on my xbox - oh I forgot I need to go get my phone.

BTW, nobody knows what BB's mobile computing thing is yet, they have what, a phone so far? Let's wait until they come out with some of the mobile computing goodness and then compare with xbox. But right now MS has a really good ecosystem and BB has nothing yet.
    05-23-13 01:55 PM
    You do also realise that smart glass is not needed to control your Xbox. Voice and gesture control are amazing with kinect 2. And at the end of the day it's a games console first and foremost therefore I will use a games controller. Wii u and now the ps4 think screens on controllers are needed. It's not. It's a gimmick.

Posted via Vader10
    05-23-13 01:58 PM
    It will be obsolete though, just because you're replacing your parts one by one instead of buying a new system outright doesn't mean suddenly your computer is future proof. Changing GFX card? Yep, because the old one is obsolete. Changing mobo? Yep, because the old one is obsolete.
    To be fair, the way the videogame industry has been lately, PC hardware will last for ages without needing to upgrade anything. The stupid DRM boxes have made it to where games being launched today are still playable on hardware from 2007. I remember needing to upgrade hardware before I could play a new PC game, but that hasn't happened in ages. The DRM boxes are finally catching up to the hardware PC has had for a while, so I might finally get some more games that take advatnage of my 2 year old hardware.

Everything will eventually become obsolete, but a properly built gaming PC has some real staying power. There are new games made all the time that can still be played on PCs from the late 90's. How many new games coming out for the PS1 or original Xbox?
    05-23-13 02:04 PM
    To be fair, the way the videogame industry has been lately, PC hardware will last for ages without needing to upgrade anything. The stupid DRM boxes have made it to where games being launched today are still playable on hardware from 2007. I remember needing to upgrade hardware before I could play a new PC game, but that hasn't happened in ages. The DRM boxes are finally catching up to the hardware PC has had for a while, so I might finally get some more games that take advatnage of my 2 year old hardware.

Everything will eventually become obsolete, but a properly built gaming PC has some real staying power. There are new games made all the time that can still be played on PCs from the late 90's. How many new games coming out for the PS1 or original Xbox?
    Fair point, but how many gamers are playing on 90's rigs? I doubt many, our expectations of games, especially visual quality, make playing games on older computers less appealing than playing them on modern rigs. I'd say 10 years of support for any machine, be it a PC, Xbox or Playstation is pretty good going, don't see how anyone could complain that games aren't being made for the PS1 anymore.
    05-23-13 02:15 PM
    EDIT: this was a reply to sanjk1

So much wrong here.

-take a look at the xbox one again. The last thing it is, is a gaming console.

-kinect is a gimmick, yelling at my tv to control it is a gimmick, flailing my arms at the tv like a mad man is a gimmick.

From a pure gaming stand point (as this point in time, since very little is known about each one) PS4 wins hands down.

-free online gaming. (their pay service "PS+" offers much, much more than Live)

-Better hardware

-no restrictions on used games.
    05-23-13 02:36 PM
    Fair point, but how many gamers are playing on 90's rigs? I doubt many, our expectations of games, especially visual quality, make playing games on older computers less appealing than playing them on modern rigs. I'd say 10 years of support for any machine, be it a PC, Xbox or Playstation is pretty good going, don't see how anyone could complain that games aren't being made for the PS1 anymore.
    I agree, 10 years of support is plenty and I certainly don't long for any new games for the PS1. Just a extreme example of the staying power of PCs.
    05-23-13 03:08 PM

So much wrong here.

-kinect is a gimmick, yelling at my tv to control it is a gimmick, flailing my arms at the tv like a mad man is a gimmick.

From a pure gaming stand point (as this point in time, since very little is known about each one) PS4 wins hands down.

-Better hardware

That sums up the Xbox One reveal very well.
    05-23-13 03:10 PM
    It doesn't make sense, why control my xbox with a phone when I have a controller that comes with the console and now with xbox one I also get kinect to control my console. What actually makes controlling my xbox with my phone better than controlling it any other way?
    From my point of view, you are completely off track.

No one is saying the phone is playing the role on input/output device. You would still use your kinetic and controller.

What the phone would provide is the processing.

I don't know if we will see this in the next five years though. Phones have to become much more powerful. And it's likely that the games you play this way, and the content you view will not be Xbox games. You would still have your Kinect etc., but the games come from your phone.

Phone = CPU

Kinect = Peripheral (like keyboards and mice)

Posted via CB10
    05-23-13 03:17 PM
    From my point of view, you are completely off track.

No one is saying the phone is playing the role on input/output device. You would still use your kinetic and controller.

What the phone would provide is the processing.

I don't know if we will see this in the next five years though. Phones have to become much more powerful. And it's likely that the games you play this way, and the content you view will not be Xbox games. You would still have your Kinect etc., but the games come from your phone.

Phone = CPU

Kinect = Peripheral (like keyboards and mice)

Posted via CB10
    So I'd have to remember to bring my phone with me every time I wanted to do something in my living room, be it gaming or watching tv? And no matter how powerful phones become, a console will always be more powerful, more room for components, no worrying about battery drainage, ect. The problem with treating every device in a house like a dumb terminal is that if something happens to your phone (loss, battery dead, ect) you've rendered all the tech in your house useless. Plus with the how cheap components are, why make dumb devices that need another device to function? What happens when standards in technology change? Will I end up being stuck with years old tech just to maintain compatibility with my phone?
    05-23-13 04:46 PM
    I lost all interest in xbox one when they said 360 games would be unplayable or with a fee. I was burned moving from xbox to 360, I'm not doing it again. It's just pure greed not making games backwards compatible or charging a fee to use something I've already paid for, no technical reason. And I'm not using sign language or voice to control things ,I'm not a little kid who thinks that's cool. Suri and all other voice apps are gimmicks most people don't really use. A car and house alarm apps are about the only useful ones for those things.

Posted via Z10
    05-23-13 04:51 PM
    So I'd have to remember to bring my phone with me every time I wanted to do something in my living room, be it gaming or watching tv? And no matter how powerful phones become, a console will always be more powerful, more room for components, no worrying about battery drainage, ect. The problem with treating every device in a house like a dumb terminal is that if something happens to your phone (loss, battery dead, ect) you've rendered all the tech in your house useless. Plus with the how cheap components are, why make dumb devices that need another device to function? What happens when standards in technology change? Will I end up being stuck with years old tech just to maintain compatibility with my phone?
    agree.

ppl got to stop getting sucked up in this "mobile computing" crap just because Thors said it. I bet no one even know what the hell mobile computing means or what is it.

So far all i heard is some sci fi bs, or like this is what going to happen in the future this and that. well let me know when there is any evident of that happening before talking about it.

btw, please let me know how hot your phone gets from doing all those crap all day long. i surf the net for like 20min and my phone already getting warm. or somehow in the future phone won't get hot and can be run 24/7 on its battery off one charge?
    tphp likes this.
    05-23-13 05:01 PM
    Sorry OP..your idea is baffling me....Kinect is sufficient and Smartglass is fine just the way it is.

Now regarding the XBOX: If the information that they're providing is true ...(used games issue and obsolete discs after downloading to your xbox one) I'll be getting the PS4. I love the 360 and so do a lot of other people..they should not change it as much as they have...I like the TV a snap thingy but the restrictions will annoy people.

'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'
    Last edited by MC_A_DOT; 10-14-14 at 06:42 AM.
    05-24-13 04:34 AM

So much wrong here.

-Better hardware

Lol fair point. I'm not going to take any sides as I have a ps3 and 360. Best thing I'd say now is we all wait for E3

Posted via Vader10
    05-24-13 06:10 PM
43 12