Microsoft recently bought Xamarin, a company that allows developers to build apps in C#, with custom layout code (in C#) for each supported platform (iOS, Android, Windows 10 Mobile, Mac desktop, Windows 10 desktop, iWatch, Android wear, Apple TV, Android TV, etc). This means you usually share 70-90 percent of the code (communication with the server, persistence, business logic etc). All apps are native apps, so apps on Android looks like Android (because they are), iOS apps like iOS, etc.

I do realize that BB is focusing on Android (I do own a Priv, but have gone back to my Q10), but when I saw this blog post I thought about it: Developer Hero Program Launches | BlackBerry Developer Blog

To get the cost down for developing BB10 apps, this would be the perfect way, right? Microsoft is putting all their financial weight behind getting people to build iOS and Android apps in this way, so that it will be easy for them to add a Windows 10 mobile app as well. Just like BB10, Microsoft needs to close the app gap. BlackBerry could piggyback on this.

If BlackBerry could support Xamarin, adding a BB10 app to the iOS, Android and Win10 lineup would be very easy for companies. All the shared code would already be tested, so the only thing that needs building is the layout code.

What do you guys think the odds are of this happening?
    06-09-16 09:59 PM
    What do you guys think the odds are of this happening?
    Slim to none. It's a road that has been traveled before - https://www.google.ca/search?q=black...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    06-09-16 10:10 PM
    Although not Xamarin specifically, there were Mono ports to PlayBook OS and BB10,

burningsoda.com ? software

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/mono/tree/bb10
    06-10-16 12:07 AM
    People have already jumped ship, what's the point in making the ship any cozier?
    BBW is dead. Even best selling nemory has stopped updating his apps, even though they're full of bugs.
    06-10-16 03:01 AM
    It's not the cost that's the issue, it's the benefit...
    06-10-16 04:20 AM
    Just a note on how much this reduces costs for developers: it only reduces cost to the extent that we have code already written in C#.

Most of us who own native code for iOS and Android will find that most of that device side code is in Java, ObjC, Swift, and C++. (much of that C++ code, btw, already works on BB10).

So enabling us to run our C# code on BB10 is sort of useless for mobile groups that don't have a bunch of business logic, etc. already in C#. Right now if we have encryption functions or other things that we want to share between our Android and iOS apps, we write those in C++.

There are some app developers using Xamarin, and for those developers this would help, but just keep in mind it's only a minority of apps out that there using Xamarin. The value prop of switching to Xamarin is quite low now that we have just 2 mobile OSes in the world to support.
    Ronindan and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    06-10-16 09:37 AM
    It's not the cost that's the issue, it's the benefit...
    There are some app developers using Xamarin, and for those developers this would help, but just keep in mind it's only a minority of apps out that there using Xamarin. The value prop of switching to Xamarin is quite low now that we have just 2 mobile OSes in the world to support.
    Absolutely (I personally have iOS and Android native apps, and I am not planning on throwing all that away and going Xamarin, but my newer apps are Xamarin). My point was merely that with Microsoft using their money to convince developers to actually make new apps (or even make a Windows 10 Mobile app) in C#, those developers could add a BB10 app with little extra cost.

It would be betting on Microsoft succeeding (Microsoft needs this to happen, or they will be in serious trouble, now that Google is merging ChromeOS and Android, they have their eyes on something like continuum and Microsoft knows it). And if they do succeed, BB10 just might have a chance.
    06-10-16 09:20 PM
    Absolutely (I personally have iOS and Android native apps, and I am not planning on throwing all that away and going Xamarin, but my newer apps are Xamarin). My point was merely that with Microsoft using their money to convince developers to actually make new apps (or even make a Windows 10 Mobile app) in C#, those developers could add a BB10 app with little extra cost.

It would be betting on Microsoft succeeding (Microsoft needs this to happen, or they will be in serious trouble, now that Google is merging ChromeOS and Android, they have their eyes on something like continuum and Microsoft knows it). And if they do succeed, BB10 just might have a chance.
    Microsoft has all but given up on Windows 10 Mobile. They no longer talk about it at their conferences and have reassigned some and let go most of the mobile team.

Microsoft's big play in mobile is focused on getting their apps and services adopted by Android and iPhone users.

Even if MS was making a big push this would do little for BB10. BlackBerry has let go most of the BB10 team. The Team focused on working with and recruiting BB10 developers is all but gone.
    06-11-16 03:33 AM
    Microsoft has all but given up on Windows 10 Mobile.
    I don't agree. Not yet. In the words of Tom's Guide: Windows 10 Mobile Isn't Dead Until a Surface Phone Flops

A little light reading:

Part 1: Windows 'phone' isn't dead Part I: Keeping the vision in view | Windows Central
    Part 2: Windows 'phone' isn't dead Part II: Nurturing the ecosystem | Windows Central
    Part 3: Windows 'phone' isn't dead Part III: No consumer left behind | Windows Central
    Part 4: Windows 'phone' isn't dead, Part IV: A future of partnerships and a possible Surface Phone | Windows Central
    Part 5: Windows Phone isn't dead, Part V: How Alcatel fits into the Windows ecosystem | Windows Central
    Part 6: Windows Phone isn't dead, Part VI: App Gap? Microsoft has a platform for that | Windows Central

They have a plan, and they are executing on it. They are just doing it better than BlackBerry did with BB10, and actually taking the time to take the required steps.

Besides, look at what HP and Acer are are selling soon.
    HP - HP Elite X3 PC Tablets ? Elite Business Laptops and PC Tablets ? HP Official Site check out that "Mobile extender"
    Acer - Acer's Liquid Jade Primo Shows off Windows Continuum | Digital Trends with this: http://www.windowscentral.com/liquid...mo-due-q3-2016

Does this sound like a dying platform to you? I contend this is the quiet before the storm in about a year's time. If you prefer hearing it from Microsoft themselves: New Microsoft email reveals shifting mobile strategy, claims Windows phone investment 'not at risk' | Windows Central

They have fired the people from Nokia, sure, but Panos Panay and his Surface team has taken over. When the (reportedly) three versions of their new phone comes out, then we;ll see a big marketing push. And I would love to see BB10 apps be as easy and cheap as possible to add if they succeed.
    Last edited by ayngling; 06-12-16 at 06:16 PM.
    06-11-16 02:39 PM
    I fixed some bb10 issue in with xamarin and now I am getting push notification successfully in my BlackBerry device. In various areas different location is given to areas android.cfg file, but actual location which worked for me is:

android.cfg file under assets/blackberry/android.cfg

Place this file before making apk. Because in so many places I read to put this file after making apk using zip tool, that may also work, but if it is not working try the solution given here.
    10-17-17 08:45 AM
    I fixed some bb10 issue in with xamarin and now I am getting push notification successfully in my BlackBerry device. In various areas different location is given to areas android.cfg file, but actual location which worked for me is:

android.cfg file under assets/blackberry/android.cfg

Place this file before making apk. Because in so many places I read to put this file after making apk using zip tool, that may also work, but if it is not working try the solution given here.
    10-17-17 08:46 AM
    I don't agree. Not yet. In the words of Tom's Guide: Windows 10 Mobile Isn't Dead Until a Surface Phone Flops

A little light reading:

Part 1: Windows 'phone' isn't dead Part I: Keeping the vision in view | Windows Central
    Part 2: Windows 'phone' isn't dead Part II: Nurturing the ecosystem | Windows Central
    Part 3: Windows 'phone' isn't dead Part III: No consumer left behind | Windows Central
    Part 4: Windows 'phone' isn't dead, Part IV: A future of partnerships and a possible Surface Phone | Windows Central
    Part 5: Windows Phone isn't dead, Part V: How Alcatel fits into the Windows ecosystem | Windows Central
    Part 6: Windows Phone isn't dead, Part VI: App Gap? Microsoft has a platform for that | Windows Central

They have a plan, and they are executing on it. They are just doing it better than BlackBerry did with BB10, and actually taking the time to take the required steps.

Besides, look at what HP and Acer are are selling soon.
    HP - HP Elite X3 PC Tablets ? Elite Business Laptops and PC Tablets ? HP Official Site check out that "Mobile extender"
    Acer - Acer's Liquid Jade Primo Shows off Windows Continuum | Digital Trends with this: http://www.windowscentral.com/liquid...mo-due-q3-2016

Does this sound like a dying platform to you? I contend this is the quiet before the storm in about a year's time. If you prefer hearing it from Microsoft themselves: New Microsoft email reveals shifting mobile strategy, claims Windows phone investment 'not at risk' | Windows Central

They have fired the people from Nokia, sure, but Panos Panay and his Surface team has taken over. When the (reportedly) three versions of their new phone comes out, then we;ll see a big marketing push. And I would love to see BB10 apps be as easy and cheap as possible to add if they succeed.
    Dead... For real! 😔
    https://www.tomsguide.com/us/windows...ews-25957.html
    10-17-17 09:09 AM