Sure, just put the search widget on the home screen.
    I've also set up a gesture, available when I'm inside any app, which allows me to search. It's rather handy.
    On the times when I have the BT keyboard, I can immediately start typing on the home screen because the search widget has focus. I use this for launching apps a la Windows 8/MacOS Spotlight.
    So you need a widget and a BT keyboard to do what a BB does natively out of the box for a few years now.
    12-08-12 05:21 PM
    I absolutely wholeheartedly agree the whole post, and particularly with the bolded....

People are talking about BB10 as if the rest of the field has stood still. Samsung has not been sitting around, and don't discount Apple.
    I don't think Samsung wants to stay back in Apple's dust, they have things to prove and they intend to do them. They're kicking out devices at all ends of the spectrum, from low end but capable handsets to real gollywog whizbangers. Who'd have thought that a phablet would sell as well as it does? People are snagging them up, and you're talking a phone with more raw power than my laptop!

And now, with a Wi-Fi printer, print right from your phone, to boot. And there are Wi-Fi external storage alternatives hitting the market, which increases capabilities manifold. With a Wi-Fi adapter or enabled TV, stream right to the screen, to heck with the HDMI cables.

MicroSDXC? You bet. If I wanted to fork out the bucks for 32 or 64 GB device and then add 64 GB card, just look at the potential. Will the BB 10 be XC capable? I haven't heard, yet.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 12-08-12 at 05:33 PM.
    12-08-12 05:22 PM
    So you need a widget and a BT keyboard to do what a BB does natively out of the box for a few years now.
    no it one of many ways he uses it

with google now you can swipe from the bottom and either go straight into voice commands/search or you can type in your search. Its accessible from within any app also.
    12-08-12 05:37 PM

with google now you can swipe from the bottom and either go straight into voice commands/search or you can type in your search. Its accessible from within any app also.
    All of which would be known if someone were to actually use the devices instead of engaging in nothing more than "yes, but, BB can do ___________ SO much better than _____________ and all iPhone and Android users do is play Angry Birds and BB people DO!!!!"

It pays no service to BB. And frankly, as a BB user, I am embarrased by the fanatical "yes, but...."
    12-08-12 05:42 PM
    Well, maybe if he's talking anout having a physical keyboard.....
    12-08-12 05:43 PM
    I've had to make the effort to learn to type on a touchscreen. Frankly, I did not like the look of the N device. So it's the London for me...touchscreen practice now....
    12-08-12 05:47 PM
    *Facepalm*

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Elwe Feanorfin likes this.
    12-08-12 05:47 PM
    *Facepalm*

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Here love....have a drink.............only way to survive....
    Rickroller and Elwe Feanorfin like this.
    12-08-12 05:49 PM

I watched that video and what I see strikes me as inefficient and things BB already has, like sorting most used apps aka the frequent panel on a BB.

The pop up prompts that show up in landscape are simply embarrassing if you ask me.
    12-08-12 05:49 PM
    All of which would be known if someone were to actually use the devices instead of engaging in nothing more than "yes, but, BB can do ___________ SO much better than _____________ and all iPhone and Android users do is play Angry Birds and BB people DO!!!!"

It pays no service to BB. And frankly, as a BB user, I am embarrased by the fanatical "yes, but...."
    And I do a lot more than I had access to using my venerable Style. I submit my paperwork to the home office, imaging the pages with the no-lag autofocus camera, converting them to .pdf format, and emailing them to headquarters, where I get a confirmation they've been receivedn and the same pages upload automatically to Sugar Sync, so I don't have to keep all of that paper in the cab of my truck.

For the first time, I have a calendar that syncs *all* of my additional data, including the sports calendars that I have designated, so that is a plus, also.
    I've been able to eliminate a ton of papers from the cab, paring it down a lot. Our system can't use BB for the paperwork submission, because the app used isn't available. It used to cost my company $ 10 or more per trip to receive paperwork. They pared it down to about 5 using a service called Transflo. We have 5700 trucks. To use the service, you had to go to a truckstop that had the service to submit it. Time and money wasted, and we now have a big number of drivers using the Camscanner App. The company reimburses the one-time $5 fee for it.

Faxes cost as much as $2 a page. Ever try to read a vital image coming out of a funky fax machine? Not always a good thing! But a quick image and email it, and in seconds things are done.

Oh, and I throw some Angry Birds occasionally.
    notfanboy and pantlesspenguin like this.
    12-08-12 06:00 PM
    I watched that video and what I see strikes me as inefficient and things BB already has, like sorting most used apps aka the frequent panel on a BB.

The pop up prompts that show up in landscape are simply embarrassing if you ask me.
    i agree the most used apps thing doesnt look to interesting. HTC did much better with this as it was in the notification dropdown and didnt require intervention by the user. It learned it on its own.

Not sure about the landscape popups. That doesnt happen to me when doing a beam from device to device.
    12-08-12 06:02 PM
    Can't wait for next year.
    Last edited by trelawrence; 12-08-12 at 09:19 PM.
    12-08-12 06:35 PM
    Wow what a horrendous thread.

Started off with a OP about the note II, went to a BB Vs. Google pissing match, to congratulating someone on buying a s3, to a dissertation on how good the s3 is, to how to find universal search on an s3, back to an obvious BB fanboy spouting the usual BB fanboy crapola, all the while the mods let it continue while joining in. You all should pat yourselves on the back for a job well done on totally derailing a thread, and turning it into a happy Google love fest.

Thank you one and all for wasting the 10 minutes it took me to read this 5 page thread.

Edit:
    Nothing personal to anyone in this thread, but it seems to be the usual anymore. Someone make a post about a non BB device, the usual suspects show up and state the usual crap about BB is the best and everything else sucks, everyone else comes in and debate over the usual stuff. A lot of threads are starting to become more and more like this. The same people that used to complain about this happening are the same ones that are doing it now.

I knew there was a reason I stopped reading the General section and just stuck to the device specific and PB sections.
    12-08-12 07:31 PM
    Wow what a horrendous thread.

Started off with a OP about the note II, went to a BB Vs. Google pissing match, to congratulating someone on buying a s3, to a dissertation on how good the s3 is, to how to find universal search on an s3, back to an obvious BB fanboy spouting the usual BB fanboy crapola, all the while the mods let it continue while joining in. You all should pat yourselves on the back for a job well done on totally derailing a thread, and turning it into a happy Google love fest.

Thank you one and all for wasting the 10 minutes it took me to read this 5 page thread.

Edit:
    Nothing personal to anyone in this thread, but it seems to be the usual anymore. Someone make a post about a non BB device, the usual suspects show up and state the usual crap about BB is the best and everything else sucks, everyone else comes in and debate over the usual stuff. A lot of threads are starting to become more and more like this. The same people that used to complain about this happening are the same ones that are doing it now.

I knew there was a reason I stopped reading the General section and just stuck to the device specific and PB sections.
    I was sitting here reading through all of the pages and thinking to myself when I asked the question about the Note II it was a curious question/statement as to the marketing ability of samsung and their devices and what they are doing with them and hoping that BB is taking notes because when they launch in Jan I hope that they have some really , REALLY cool stuff still to show us or at least put it out in a commercial somewhere, anywhere so no only the BB faithful know about what they have to offer and that the world know that BB never left just revamped the brand and now is "Black" and stronger than ever giving the rest of the masses something to compare to and know that BB people do. Never wanted this to turn into something other than concern for BB and the marketing team.
    I've always told my friends who have other devices that my phone the 9930 can do what your phone can do, its just that no-one knows about it except anyone who has the phone that I have and it is not just for business, but for people who want to do.
    12-08-12 10:10 PM
    as cool as the concept is. if your watching a video and emailing your either not emailing or watching the video. just pause the darn thing. lol
    I KNOW!! It's such a ridiculous concept, I can't believe that some people are treating it like a major feature or game hanger of sorts. You can still only look at one thing/task at a time, so the practicality of it is dubious.
    12-09-12 12:04 AM
    Feature not available on Blackberry: gimmicky, impractical, useless, don't want it.

Feature unique to Blackberry: innovative, practical, a must-have
    Oh, I see what you did there. Nice. :
    12-09-12 12:08 AM
    I absolutely wholeheartedly agree the whole post, and particularly with the bolded....

People are talking about BB10 as if the rest of the field has stood still. Samsung has not been sitting around, and don't discount Apple.
    This should be a sticky thread.
    12-09-12 12:13 AM
    So you've never done any work from home with the TV going in the background? That's the whole point of it, being able to "multi-task" (hence the name)
    Yes I have. The problem with that is that if I'm looking up at the tv I forget what I'm doing on the comp and if I'm doing things on the comp I need to rewind to see what they said.

When I'm looking at my phone I'm looking at doing 1 solid thing at a time. I understand the meaning of multitasking but there are different forms of it. Keeping apps running in the background so they don't need to refresh every time you go back to them is the mobile multitasking I need. Not to have a the show streaming while trying to text or email. The. Having to go to the tv show and rewind and see wth they said.

Having it is cool. It I don't think the majority of people will use it. Just my opinion though.

Sent using Tapatalk
    12-09-12 12:28 AM
    I think this thread has run it's course! Lets just let it go.
    dakid72 likes this.
    12-09-12 12:32 AM
119 ... 345