LOl you shills are touchy today. I hope and think WP8 will sell ok or maybe even well and it's not because Wp8 is a good phone. The way I see it is that people are tired and bord of their same old apple and android phones and looking for something new. I don't like the live tiles or anything else from WP8 but it's at least DIFFERENT from apple and android and that's good enough to get people to switch. My thought is if WP8 who has no users base to build on and is using a OS that doesn't excite and has problems and yet people are still willing to try somthing new? WP8 and BB10 is DIFFERENT and new and I think Apple and android is going to lose a nice % of their users to WP8 and BB10. If WP8 can steal users using WP8 what will BB10 do?
    Mensa

... right?
    11-19-12 02:34 PM
    Some of you seem to somehow have witnessed smartphone releases that were not buggy, glitchy, and misrepresented by halfwit Media tech writers who know less about the subject matter they're writing about than schoolchildren.

If so please point me in the direction of this perfected magical Excalibur of smartphone legend so I may purchase one. TYVMIA.
    11-19-12 02:35 PM
    While I've not experienced most of the issues outlined, I do have a Lumia 920 here I am currently using and I have to say, if this is the best Windows Phone 8 has to offer.. RIM doesn't have all that much to worry about. The OS is confusing and in some ways, I find it fights against you. It's just not a very productive OS IMO. It's very beautiful mind you, but it takes more than beauty to sell phones. I picked it up thinking it would be the closest experience to BlackBerry 10 but, I was wrong there. Outside of the live tiles look and function, it's nothing like BlackBerry 10.
    11-19-12 02:56 PM
    Hey Bla1ze. How does BB10 fare/compare with the other competitions' offerings?. I know we haven't seen it in its final form but, what are your thoughts as it is now?
    11-19-12 03:59 PM
    Is it really excusable for Microsoft with all the money they have to release such a problematic device/OS?

And to answer your question, no and I don't intend to, they completely ignored the section of the market I'm a customer in, the qwerty market.

At least RIM delayed BB10 rather then releasing it early but unfinished. The rest, only time will tell.
    That right there is something all waiting for BB10 should be happy about, they lack a notification center because they "ran out of time". How did time run out, unless they thought being first was better than being perfect in comparison to BB10. If BB10 would've released w/o a notification center we all know how that would've went
    Dapper37 likes this.
    11-19-12 04:10 PM
    I have used an iphone 5 and the most you will get out of it is 5-8 hours. That's heavy use. Or 10-14 hours without any use, few messages or emails.

It's the Antennas that draw alot power.

Lte+4.5" ips display... 10 hours is really good.

All devices are like this.
    I have a s3, most I can get out of it with heavy use is 6 hours.

You should take a trip to Android Central. 6 hours isn't normal. Unless you are moving in/out of coverage all the time, something is not right.
    11-19-12 04:17 PM
    And yet there is no evidence that they have learned. But their PR must be getting better.

Have you tried Windows Phone 8 yet? Or are you basing everything on what you read on the Internet?

I know you haven't tried a production BB 10 device as they still don't exist.
    There's tons of evidence that they've "learned":
    • On-time delivery has improved considerably; they've met almost all release targets this year (OS 2.1 was late, yes, and Theme Builder for OS7 got canceled; otherwise everything has released as planned).
    • WAAAAY better developer engagement
    • More transparency and better press relations

None of these ensure that BB10 will be perfect, of course, but they do suggest a (major) cultural shift that leaves RIM in a much better position to launch a satisfactory product.
    kbz1960 and Prince_Poppycock like this.
    11-19-12 04:46 PM
    I corrected this for you:
    The way I see it is that people are tired and bord of their same old apple and android and old BlackBerry phones and looking for something new.

The BlackBerry shills are the same as every other fan group...

If WP8 can steal users using WP8 (whatever that means) what will BB 10 do? NO ONE KNOWS BECAUSE IT ISN'T AVAILABLE. And you can't argue that (although you will try)..

Shill away...
    LOL...you know exactly what I mean. All you have to do is use a WP8 and understand. You can delude yourself if you want. Talking to you is like talking to a kid. It's a good thing Kid�s Corner is on your phone.
    11-19-12 09:42 PM
    It definitely feels to me like some of the Windows Phone 8 lack luster launch and issues is making it a bit easier for BlackBerry to launch into and retain that leadership position over Windows Phone 8.
    Dapper37 likes this.
    11-19-12 10:02 PM
    While I've not experienced most of the issues outlined, I do have a Lumia 920 here I am currently using and I have to say, if this is the best Windows Phone 8 has to offer.. RIM doesn't have all that much to worry about. The OS is confusing and in some ways, I find it fights against you. It's just not a very productive OS IMO. It's very beautiful mind you, but it takes more than beauty to sell phones. I picked it up thinking it would be the closest experience to BlackBerry 10 but, I was wrong there. Outside of the live tiles look and function, it's nothing like BlackBerry 10.
    You picked it up thinking it would be like bb10? And you blame the device for not meeting your expectations? Sound a bit biased lol.

920 is a very nice device software and hardware, great improvement for windows devices. I have used it and it is very nice, smooth and prolly the best camera around. Not at all confusing like you say. Now, I dont own one, I would if I didn't Just get a s3. My 9900 serves me well swell. However, I thought I'd correct your description as it is a bit misleading.
    11-20-12 01:34 AM
    IMHO, I've seen some of your previous posts on competitor devices...and you're far too dismissive of anything that is different from the blackberry experience for my liking.

'intuitive' is usually the word used to describe Windows Phone. I'm not sure why you find it 'confusing' but it's worth noting that aside from iPhones, the Lumia Windows Phones from Nokia have some of the best user satisfaction ratings I've ever seen on Amazon wireless. Real feedback from real owners, not folks who desperately want it to be a Blackberry device/experience.
    11-20-12 03:52 AM
    IMHO, I've seen some of your previous posts on competitor devices...and you're far too dismissive of anything that is different from the blackberry experience for my liking.

'intuitive' is usually the word used to describe Windows Phone. I'm not sure why you find it 'confusing' but it's worth noting that aside from iPhones, the Lumia Windows Phones from Nokia have some of the best user satisfaction ratings I've ever seen on Amazon wireless. Real feedback from real owners, not folks who desperately want it to be a Blackberry device/experience.
    Have you owned one of the last WinMo phones? If you did you would know what a huge step back Microsoft too with WP7 and wP8. They went from a literal Pocket PC in your hand to a pretty consumer device.

Let's see, circa 2007-2008 this was my WinMo device at the time when RIM had no 3G devices, all they had was 8800s and 8300s.

Orange SPV M700, 3G, WiFi, built in GPS, fully fledged TomTom navigation, front and rear camera etc etc

That was a far more powerful OS, fully multitasking, themes, fully customisable.

WP7&8 is a joke compared to that to me
    Attached Thumbnails WP8 users problems good for RIM?-spvm700pic.jpg  
    11-20-12 06:01 AM
    Have you owned one of the last WinMo phones? If you did you would know what a huge step back Microsoft too with WP7 and wP8. They went from a literal Pocket PC in your hand to a pretty consumer device.

Let's see, circa 2007-2008 this was my WinMo device at the time when RIM had no 3G devices, all they had was 8800s and 8300s.

Orange SPV M700, 3G, WiFi, built in GPS, fully fledged TomTom navigation, front and rear camera etc etc

That was a far more powerful OS, fully multitasking, themes, fully customisable.

WP7&8 is a joke compared to that to me
    I used a HTC TyTN. Before that, i'd used one of the WM5 phones (can't remember the name right now)

They were slower, UI wasn't GPU accelerated unlike WP, resistive screens, average battery life...and the multitasking you tout meant you had to be scrupulous about managing open tasks or available memory would be seriously constrained.

The WM UI was dated...sales were already plunging steeply. Microsoft had their hands forced with that decision.

WP8 brings back some of that level of power, though there's still some way to go. I don't see it as a massive 'step backwards' though. The user experience is the most critical thing you need to nail. Symbian was also similarly powerful yet the sluggish UI and inconsistent design language dragged it down in sales.
    11-20-12 07:01 AM
    I used a HTC TyTN. Before that, i'd used one of the WM5 phones (can't remember the name right now)

They were slower, UI wasn't GPU accelerated unlike WP, resistive screens, average battery life...and the multitasking you tout meant you had to be scrupulous about managing open tasks or available memory would be seriously constrained.

The WM UI was dated...sales were already plunging steeply. Microsoft had their hands forced with that decision.

WP8 brings back some of that level of power, though there's still some way to go. I don't see it as a massive 'step backwards' though. The user experience is the most critical thing you need to nail. Symbian was also similarly powerful yet the sluggish UI and inconsistent design language dragged it down in sales.
    It was slower, probably due to hardware limitations but that OS could do far more then WP7 ever did. WP7 was a huge step back. I mean you go from that to a no copy and paste and no multitasking OS?

I had an app that would list all the cell towers around me and I could set winmo to behave exactly the way I wanted it on each tower, wifi on/off, radio, profiles etc.

Microsoft had a better chance with winmo on some serious hardware but that's just my opinion.
    11-20-12 08:14 AM
    Microsoft had a better chance with winmo on some serious hardware but that's just my opinion.
    It's a wrong one - WP was slammed by users, especially in its later versions (when compared to what was going down the pike) and the user satisfaction was always low especially when compared to the feedback that Palm OS got in its heyday - that wasn't simply connected to hardware but the basic flawed idea that you could ram a desktop onto a phone. They killed Winmo because it was dated, not fit for purpose and effectively dead in the market.
    11-20-12 08:24 AM
    It's a wrong one - WP was slammed by users, especially in its later versions (when compared to what was going down the pike) and the user satisfaction was always low especially when compared to the feedback that Palm OS got in its heyday - that wasn't simply connected to hardware but the basic flawed idea that you could ram a desktop onto a phone. They killed Winmo because it was dated, not fit for purpose and effectively dead in the market.
    And here's the kicker, they replaced it with WP7, one big failure.

BTW, isn't it where mobile computing is going, desktop in your pocket?
    11-20-12 08:29 AM
    Which is irrelevent in regards to the failings of WinMO - that the replacement was a failure doesn't mean that WinMo was fit for purpose or could have survived

That's marketing speak - which is a world away from a GUI that is fit for purpose rather than an attempt to replicate a desktop experience on a 3 inch phone which is what WinMo was.
    Last edited by cgk; 11-20-12 at 09:06 AM.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    11-20-12 08:55 AM

Well, as a stop-gap measure, WP7 wasn't that bad. And WP8 (and future iterations of WP running on the NT kernel) is the future.
    WP8 is much more robust as a platform than the likes of Android were at the same stage of maturity (2 years after platform launch).

We'll see how the sales go...but early indication makes it seem like sales have been quite decent...even selling briskly in some markets.

What I cannot understand is this: Microsoft spent $30b in 2 years on R&D...where the heck is that money going? Where are the PRODUCTS from that massive R&D bill?
    11-20-12 09:01 AM
    I would have to agree with Bla1ze here. He has put it very succinctly when he said that the Phone fights you.
    I have been using a Lumia 900 for a month. For the past five days I have been using it exclusively with my 9900 on standby. I will take WP phones seriously once they can make dialling simpler. They haven't got that right. I don't complain much about app crashes and browser crashes as that happens with almost every platform. Also mail is very slow. Sometimes it's half an hour behind my 9900 and PB.
    The OS is beautiful and fun to fool around with. Workhorse it most certainly ain't.
    11-20-12 09:03 AM
    No one should benefit from the misfortunes of others. We should succeed or fail on our own! This should apply to RIM!
    avt123 likes this.
    11-20-12 09:26 AM
    LOL...you know exactly what I mean. All you have to do is use a WP8 and understand. You can delude yourself if you want. Talking to you is like talking to a kid. It's a good thing Kid’s Corner is on your phone.
    Does RIM pay you for this gibberish? I use AND LIKE WP8. No Kid's Corner.
    11-20-12 09:30 AM
    All you have to do is use a WP8 and understand.
    Have you? Where do your understanding come from?
    11-20-12 09:45 AM
    I'm completely confused by this thread.

The Windows Phone 8 launch isn't a "botch" or a "failure". Relative to WP7, the reception is much more positive and many Lumia 920 colors are in short supply. Also, a LOT more people are asking about WP8 than they were about WP7.

I'm not expecting 30% market share or anything; but, I think the WP8 numbers will come out extremely positive relative to WP7. Maybe WP will secure 10% market share.

There are some launch issues; but, this thread blows them completely out of proportion relative to the tech blogs I read such as Engadget or WPCentral, which barely take note.

Regardless of whether WP8 succeeds or fails, I agree it will have no impact on BB10. Actually, I don't think BB and WP ever had much effect on each other.

WP isn't causing people to leave BB and its userbase is too marginal to give BB anything to gain. BB users are going to leave BB regardless of what happens to WP. Most have never even heard of WP8.

P.S. My opinions are based off my experiences on deal sites, which are tech neutral, and NOT tech sites. WP8 receiving any attention from them is quite miraculous really, which is why I predict WP8 will be moderately successful.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 11-20-12 at 02:48 PM.
    11-20-12 02:35 PM
    I think MS would have better benefited by maybe just making a more-touch-sensitive Windows 7 approach. its a computing platform that everyone who uses a computer is familiar with. they should have quarantined the metro interface to their phones and tablets. and sure, some issues will be resolved but MS has left a bad taste in peoples mouths already, which will leave their pallets yearning for BB10
    11-20-12 03:38 PM
    I think MS would have better benefited by maybe just making a more-touch-sensitive Windows 7 approach. its a computing platform that everyone who uses a computer is familiar with. they should have quarantined the metro interface to their phones and tablets. and sure, some issues will be resolved but MS has left a bad taste in peoples mouths already, which will leave their pallets yearning for BB10
    Can you please tell me how negative user experience with Desktop Windows will drive people to BB10, a mobile phone OS?

PS: Unless you've been living under a rock, you'd know that Windows 7 tablets have been failures so far. There's only so far you can make Windows 7 'touch optimized'.
    11-21-12 12:45 AM
79 1234