I just had that experience with a friend of mine who was a hugh apple fan. He took one look at my new 9860, played with it for a bit and was really impressed. Since he was due for an upgrade he decided to make the switch to Blackberry and get the 9860 too. I go with him to the store, he tells the salesgirl what he wants and she basically tells him that Blackberry is garbage and he would be happier with an android. Hearing that made my blood boil and I had to walk away before I went all ape **** on her! I couldnt believe she was telling him what he would be happier with. How the **** would she know?! End result: He told her what she could do with her android, requested the manager and asked him he if could just get the phone he was looking for, without hassle so he could get out of there.

I can't help but think about the number of comsumers who walk into a store like that and are persuaded to make a purchase for a product that isnt suited for them or that they wouldn't be happy with.
    JR A likes this.
    11-08-11 09:51 AM
    Sorry, but I disagree. I have a Storm2 and an iPhone and there are a lot of things that my iPhone can do that my Storm cant. There are also things my Storm has that my iPhone doesn't have. Even if I had an OS7 BB, there would still be limits as to what I could do. OS7 isn't that much of an upgrade from the other OS. TreyL gave a partial list about the things that iPhones and Androids can do vs what a BB can't do. I like both of my phones FTR.

I haven't had to unstick my iPhone but if I do, I turn the phone on and off and < 20 seconds later, I'm back up and running. With my Storm2 after a battery pull, I'm waiting up to 5 minutes before my phone becomes fully usable.

I couldn't help it. The Mars thing was just too easy.
    Um with the Storm 2 you prob have OS5 right? OS7 is a HUUUUUUGE upgrade from OS5. Dont make such a blanket statement if you dont even have an OS7 device.

After a battery pull on my Bold 9930, I dont have to wait that long either. It really depends on what u have installed on your device.

Please explain what your iPhone can do for YOU that an OS7 device cant do.
    Last edited by shemaree09; 11-08-11 at 09:57 AM.
    JR A and anon(73368) like this.
    11-08-11 09:54 AM
    ... is the response I got from both my sister and sister's friend when I pulled my 9930 out of my holster when it rang. I guess they saw the BB branding.

But, to say the least, they were impressed. My sister's friend said, "It's a BlackBerry? It looks so sexy..."

Then I let both of them type on the keyboard, and when I tapped the screen to launch an app, they both said, "OMG I want one!" The keyboard + touchscreen really took them by surprise.

And once I launched the Wikitude app and started a BBM conversation with some random person I found on Wikitude (with the camera scanning feature), they went bananas. They couldn't put it down.

They wrere REALLY impressed with everything, especially the look and feel of the Bold. Keep in mind these are two college-aged girls. One has an iPhone, the other a leading Android device.

The somewhat sad part is that they were oblivious to the fact that this was BB's latest phone. They asked when did this phone come out, I said "about three months or so", and they never even heard a drop in the pond about it. I then told them it's one of three new BB phones this year (Curve, Bold, Torch), and they responded, "There's THREE new ones?!"

So, what have you done to spread the BB goodness?
    Wait, your saying you pulled out a Blackberry 9930 but they had to ask if it was a Blackberry?

They must not have seen a Blackberry in the last 4+ years. Which is, odd.

"War Is All We Know"
    11-08-11 10:18 AM
    Wait, your saying you pulled out a Blackberry 9930 but they had to ask if it was a Blackberry?

"War Is All We Know"
    Yeah, I guess they never really paid attention.

Then again it's not like they're that tech savvy or keep up with things. Besides, 4 years ago puts these girls at around 15 years old, and given the enterprise focus of RIM, there hasn't been much marketed to the highschool demographic. Also, 4 years ago is about the time my sister got her first cell phone. She had a pearl at one point, but that's a totally different beast than the Bold/Curve, especially the 9930, so I don't blame her for not recognizing it.

And to go a step further, about 4 years ago was when the iPhone stepped on the scene and that's what all the kids had (especially after the holidays).
    11-08-11 10:39 AM
    Um with the Storm 2 you prob have OS5 right? OS7 is a HUUUUUUGE upgrade from OS5. Dont make such a blanket statement if you dont even have an OS7 device.

After a battery pull on my Bold 9930, I dont have to wait that long either. It really depends on what u have installed on your device.

Please explain what your iPhone can do for YOU that an OS7 device cant do.
    Sorry, but IMO and in the opinon of many others, OS7 is basically OS5 Version 2.0. OS6 was 1.0. OS7 should have been released a year ago rather than a few months ago.

As for the what can my iPhone do: Well, work properly for one thing. Secondly, the iPhone fits MY needs better than an OS7 device. Thirdly, when I got the iPhone I saw that when a new iOS comes out, you don't need a new handset. With a BB, you do. None of the OS7 devices can be upgraded to BBX. When iOS6 comes out, I will be able to update the iOS on my iPhone4s.

I couldn't upgrade to OS6 on my Storm2. If I got one of the new OS6 devices, I couldn't upgrade to OS7. Like those with OS7, they can't upgrade to BBX without using a new BB. That's one thing my iPhone can do that your OS7 BB can't.

Most of all - the iPhone4s AND the Storm2 both fit MY needs and that's all that matters.
    11-08-11 11:24 AM
    Sorry, but IMO and in the opinon of many others, OS7 is basically OS5 Version 2.0. OS6 was 1.0. OS7 should have been released a year ago rather than a few months ago.

As for the what can my iPhone do: Well, work properly for one thing. Secondly, the iPhone fits MY needs better than an OS7 device. Thirdly, when I got the iPhone I saw that when a new iOS comes out, you don't need a new handset. With a BB, you do. None of the OS7 devices can be upgraded to BBX. When iOS6 comes out, I will be able to update the iOS on my iPhone4s.

I couldn't upgrade to OS6 on my Storm2. If I got one of the new OS6 devices, I couldn't upgrade to OS7. Like those with OS7, they can't upgrade to BBX without using a new BB. That's one thing my iPhone can do that your OS7 BB can't.

Most of all - the iPhone4s AND the Storm2 both fit MY needs and that's all that matters.
    I will admit, not being able to upgrade to the newest OS, especially with a phone that technically, wasn't that outdated, is very annoying.

"War Is All We Know"
    11-08-11 11:28 AM
    I will admit, not being able to upgrade to the newest OS, especially with a phone that technically, wasn't that outdated, is very annoying.

"War Is All We Know"
    Which was a major selling point to me when I was looking for an additional phone to suppliment my Storm2. I've said in the past - maybe in this thread - that I keep phones until they break. I don't upgrade just for the sake of upgrading but with BB, you're basically outdated when the next OS comes out since you can't update your phone.

From OS5 to OS6, only one or two of the BB handsets could update. I couldn't. From OS6 to OS7, as far as I know, no one can. That was a deal breaker for me right there.
    11-08-11 11:32 AM

The web browser in OS7 alone is the biggest improvement. Its on par with the iPhone browser. The only difference is the screen size. The notification center, new UI, voice activated universal search, and specs blow OS 5 and 6 outta the water!

I guess its just different for some people. I used to have the 8900 Curve. It shipped with OS4. Within the 2 years of owning it I was able to upgrade to OS5.

That phone was great while it lasted and I happily upgraded to the new Bold 9930 with OS7. I personally don't care about BBX and I love the combo of touchscreen +touchpad+ keyboard. By the time BBX devices are out I will be due for another upgrade so it all works out perfectly.

I haven't had any problems with my new Bold. I've had it for a little over a month now.

I know people get phones based on their needs. I totally understand that. Im not saying iPhone or Android is better or worse. I'm just saying that the Bold 9900/9930 is not inferior to the iPhone or Android devices.

They cant do the EXACT same things, but they can do a lot of the same things.
    Last edited by shemaree09; 11-08-11 at 11:54 AM.
    11-08-11 11:45 AM
    The web browser in OS7 alone is the biggest improvement. Its on par with the iPhone browser. The only difference is the screen size. The notification center, new UI, voice activated universal search, and specs blow OS 5 and 6 outta the water!

I guess its just different for some people. I used to have the 8900 Curve. It shipped with OS4. Within the 2 years of owning it I was able to upgrade to OS5.

That phone was great while it lasted and I happily upgraded to the new Bold 9930 with OS7. I personally don't care about BBX and I love the combo of touchscreen +touchpad+ keyboard. By the time BBX devices are out I will be due for another upgrade so it all works out perfectly.

I haven't had any problems with my new Bold. I've had it for a little over a month now.

I know people get phones based on their needs. I totally understand that. Im not saying iPhone or Android is better or worse. I'm just saying that the Bold 9900/9930 is not inferior to the iPhone or Android devices.

They cant do the EXACT same things, but they can do a lot of the same things.
    Good points.
    11-08-11 11:53 AM
    I'm starting to feel that BlackBerry and past BlackBerry users have a well-rounded, in-depth background in phones with all this analyses, all this smack talk and all the pleasure we've had with our phones.

We have class.
    We have sophistication.
    11-08-11 08:50 PM
    I have been trying out themes on my 9800 and a couple weeks ago in class I had an iOS theme going when the kid next to me asked what kind of phone I had. I handed it to him and he played with it until the Professor barked at him. A couple days later I came in with a droid theme going and he played with it some more (under the table this time). I then showed him how to change themes and he went through my list. Yesterday he walked into class with a 9810 and says "Mine is better then yours!" I had to laugh, sometimes word of mouth and play of hand is better then any marketing.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    11-09-11 08:47 AM
    I have been trying out themes on my 9800 and a couple weeks ago in class I had an iOS theme going when the kid next to me asked what kind of phone I had. I handed it to him and he played with it until the Professor barked at him. A couple days later I came in with a droid theme going and he played with it some more (under the table this time). I then showed him how to change themes and he went through my list. Yesterday he walked into class with a 9810 and says "Mine is better then yours!" I had to laugh, sometimes word of mouth and play of hand is better then any marketing.
    if the new Bold had an apple logo on it, more people would be all over it

its great you were able to show off Blackberry's awesomeness without saying a word!
    11-09-11 10:11 AM

"War Is All We Know"

I believe it. I rarely see BB advertising for the average consumer.

Where would the high-school crowd see BlackBerry? music videos (cool), in the media (London riots -> BB messenger (cool)), parents (not cool)...?
    11-09-11 10:51 AM
    I can't help but think about the number of comsumers who walk into a store like that and are persuaded to make a purchase for a product that isnt suited for them or that they wouldn't be happy with.
    I think for the most part customer reps do their best to fit the customers needs and wants to the best available phone.

Just the other night I was in a local store to check out the SGSII Hercules (but the demo had already been stolen lol) and there was a customer in there with his wife and he was being shown the Nexus S. Then he went and picked up the Bold and began asking about it (because he already had a Curve and was familiar with it). He was wondering what the little dot on it was and the rep proceeded to tell him it was the FFC, and boy did he get excited! He was all like "So I can Skype with this?!" which she replied "I think so..lemme check". Meanwhile I looked at him like..Uhh..no you cant, and no it doesn't. This guy was ready to buy it on the spot, and pretty much had his wallet out, until she confirmed that in fact..it did not have a FFC, nor could it Skype, although she thought the Torch model could...until she verified that it couldn't either. "I guess that's why Blackberry's arent as popular anymore" he remarked.

Needless to say he was back looking at the Nexus S, even though I think his heart wanted the BB badly..but because it was lacking some of the features that are standard nowadays..he missed out.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    11-09-11 12:06 PM
    I agree, it's time for a front facing camera in their phones. It would take BBM to another level.

But for now we make do. The app Thrutu lets you snap a photo and send it during a phone conversation, this is one way to see who you're talking to.

The playbook has the front facing camera, maybe OS2 will somehow make bluetooth do this with the phone
    Last edited by anthogag; 11-09-11 at 05:40 PM.
    JR A likes this.
    11-09-11 05:37 PM
    Marketing RIM! For the love of god!

Last night watching telly (Australia) there were about 10 iPhone ads in the space of 1-2 hours. I have NEVER seen a BB ad on Australian tv. Ever.

Bought my playbook. Showed a few people... no one even knew they existed. Although that might be a good thing given it's current condition.

Seriously, I will do the marketing for BB in Australia and NZ. It can't be that hard since there's currently nothing but a few ads on train platforms and trams.

Drives me effing crazy how crap their marketing is.
    11-09-11 06:15 PM
    I suggested one for my girlfriend. Her response was "Eeeewww!"

She actually held on to her G2x with its cracked screen instead. A for me, I am going through keyboard withdrawal right now without my Bold.
    Sorry about your keyboard withdrawals....really! But I gotta tell you how hard I laughed at your post...his gf said ewwwww when asked if she wanted a bb.....ahahahhaahhaha. That is fargin hilarious man! She would rather hold onto a phone with a cracked screen! For gods sake, than get a bb....ewwwwwwww! Lol
    I just think that's awesome (and funny!)
    11-09-11 07:19 PM
    I don't think everybody is looking at blackberry's forums nowadays, rim should find a better way to publicity their devices
    11-09-11 07:49 PM
    Same here. I have the 9860 and people are always asking what kind of phone it is. When I say it's a blackberry they don't believe me and I have to show them the BB logo at the top. Then they wanna hold it and play with it. I've actually converted people over to this phone after they see it!
    11-09-11 09:02 PM
    sometimes word of mouth and play of hand is better then any marketing.
    That seems to be the only marketing RIM does.
    11-10-11 01:13 PM
    I Think the Bottom line here is, you get the phone that suits you best. I know for me it is BB but for someone else it is the Iphone , Android , WM7 , or even a basic phone. I have worked with each platform and they are each unique in there own way. If you read enough on each phone you will see what you like and don't like about each one. The ones who work in the cell phones stores should have knowledge of all platforms to better serve the costumer for what they need and not try to push them to one platform but show options. I have seen and met a few who do that but others that do not. If someone asks me about a smart phone I tell them why I like BB but I also tell them about the other platforms and then I tell them to go play with them at the store and see what feels the best. As for now I like the direction BB is going and look forward to the next generation phones.
    11-10-11 03:11 PM
    I went into ATT yesterday to get a 9900 and the sales clerk said she didn't even know they were getting new BBs in. So sad when when the sales people are oblivious to 3 new phones coming into their own inventory.

Although, when I had went in earlier to play with the phone, one clerk said she only has the curve but the 9900 looked so nice and that she'd have to check it out.
    11-10-11 03:19 PM
97 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD